Forums > Model Colloquy > Well wheres the CD?? its been over a month!

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Emily Danielle wrote:
Digital photography! It’s supposed to save time and money right?? And make the whole process easier, TFP/CD shoots, meaning no money is involved but the model gets a copy of the CD or photos from the shoot for his or her own use right? Well how long should it take for the model to get the CD?

Over a month ago now I went on a shoot with a MM photographer who calls himself professional, who said it would take two weeks for me to get the CD. Now it takes about 10 min to burn a CD, so two weeks sounded like a long time, but I said ok and was on my way. After 3 weeks and no mail I contacted him, he said he was “sorry he forgot.â€? Forgot... yes… he forgot, then he went on to say “I will write it on my calendar so I remember to send it.â€? Really… I don’t think he did because it has been over a month since the shoot and still no photos. I feel scammed. I traveled to work with the photographer who approached me, spent money on coming home from University, then more money on gas to travel to his small studio in MA. I worked with him for 3 hours, and for what? I have not yet gotten anything out of it. No photographs, nothing.

Has anyone else had this experience? How long should it take to get a CD from a shoot, REALLY? Sorry to rant but I feel as though I have been taken advantage of.

Well, priorities as someone mentioned.  He really could be swamped.  If he's using these images of you, then yeah, feel taken advantage of.  (Check his portfolio) But if they're not even up on his site, it's not like he's benefiting from the images either.  I actually had the worst thing happen to me a few months back. I shot with a model who traveled in from out of state (not specifically for the shoot, though) in godawful conditions (Murphy's Law ruled the day), we both worked hard for it, and Hurricane Katrina hit weeks later when I was resizing the images on the pc. And I LOST EVERY SINGLE IMAGE!!!  Model was pissed off (probably still is), and I'm pissed off because I worked hard too and I don't have a single image to show for it.  Sorry, getting off track. 
I sincerely hope it was something like my situation which is preventing your photographer from getting those images to you.  Because it gives us (photographers) a rotten name.  Just like when people call in sick at work and they're not really sick, and the people who really are sick get interrogated and hassled.  Karma, karma, karma.

-Jennifer Maria

Oct 11 05 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

Danatko

New York, New York, US

EyeOnYouModels wrote:
Personally, I think two weeks is too long to wait, even considering the time it takes to edit them. I get the images edited and to the model in under 5 days without exception.

I agree that 5 days is a good time frame to deliver the images. I also go through the photos with the model just to confirm which images Ill tough up. However, I do have a policy of a maximun of 15 days. Sometimes Ill get several dozens of models in a short period of time that 5 days is just not possible to deliver the photos.

-Daniel

Oct 12 05 01:41 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

One thing I like to do which I think is a great idea is,,,,, I have my own website server and I host my own websites and other peoples websites and I have unlimited space. I can upload the raw images in a smaller size for easier viewing  usually within hours of the shoot ending onto a private link and give the link to the model via email and we can either look through them together while discussing them by phone or she can email me and let me know which ones are her favorites. If she happens to choose photographs that I do not think show her in the best light I tell her so. The only ones who get bummed when I ask them not to use a photograph I did of them which does not show them in the best light are the new ones. Until they understand that just because they like it themselves does not mean it is good for their portfolio.

Oct 12 05 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Semora wrote:
True. I guess it all depends on the prior agreement. I know i want my work/pix asap(i always bring a disk just in case).

That might be a little hard for me consider I don't own a laptop...yet.

But playing devil's advocate, do you work w/ photographers that don't give you every single solitary image? From seeing the stuff that some (not all) models post, I can see why they don't. In the past I've told models that they are for nonpublic posting, yet low & behold I see some of the rather awful outakes being posted on their port.

Depending on the experience level of the person that I work w/, I've been leaning that route lately.

Oct 12 05 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Emily Danielle wrote:
Sorry to rant but I feel as though I have been taken advantage of.

Why be so quick to blame the photographer?  Perhaps you didn't live up to your end of the barter. 

There seems to be this feeling that just because a "model" shows up then they are deserving of images.  It is ultimately the decision of the photographer whether or not images are released and if model imaging presentation doesn't live up to the photographer standard of image release then they have every right to withhold the release of imaging.

By accepting TFP a person declaring themselves a model better perform like one.  If they don't, it is well within the right of the photographer to say, "I don't want images out there that reflect work with someone that didn't know what they were doing."

TFP is a barter.  The obligation is for both to perform to the standard set by the owner of the imaging.  That should be accepted, or the invitation to barter should not be accepted at all.

Oct 12 05 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Foltz

Lake Forest, California, US

I think all you photographers that think two weeks or more is okay need to go work as a PJ for a few months.

You will learn to quickly edit down your images to managable numbers and then optimize the one's you kept much quicker. Well, you'll either learn or you'll miss deadlines in which case you'll be fired. You need to work on your workflow and editing. After all, does any model really need 150 shots of her wearing the same outfit? Pick out the best of each pose/outfit and trash the rest.

I don't even have any commercial clients that will wait two weeks. One of the things alot of clients look for is quick turn around. If you can't provide it, they'll go find someone that can.

Eric Foltz

Oct 12 05 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

area291 wrote:

Why be so quick to blame the photographer?  Perhaps you didn't live up to your end of the barter. 

There seems to be this feeling that just because a "model" shows up then they are deserving of images.  It is ultimately the decision of the photographer whether or not images are released and if model imaging presentation doesn't live up to the photographer standard of image release then they have every right to withhold the release of imaging.

By accepting TFP a person declaring themselves a model better perform like one.  If they don't, it is well within the right of the photographer to say, "I don't want images out there that reflect work with someone that didn't know what they were doing."

TFP is a barter.  The obligation is for both to perform to the standard set by the owner of the imaging.  That should be accepted, or the invitation to barter should not be accepted at all.

Well said. I have had a couple TFP/TFCD as well as paid shoots come out all wrong. It just happens. When it comes to TFP/TFCD shoots, I obviously thought she was worth my time or I would not have wanted to work with her. If the TFP/TFCD shoot with her did not go well and I did not want the images used on my portfolio or hers, hardcopy or internet I would at least say let`s do one more shoot and see how that comes out but I do not in any way want these photographs out there.

Oct 12 05 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Saryn Angel wrote:
I shoot anywhere from 70-150 sometimes 200 images per model. Many times I will touch up almost every shot and burn it to disk. I will only release the untouched images to certain models who I have seen the work they can do in photoshop.  I've seen images slaughtered by models... It's my artwork, I want the model to have the finished images, not the cold shots.

I have been one of those photographers who took ages to get images to a model. and believe me - It's cause I was lazy and didn't set aside the time to take care of things. OR I over booked. 

I have made it a policy to get a CD to models within 2 weeks.   I end up sitting in front of a computer touching up images (mostly just levels) all night at least twice a week.

I've been seriously considering setting up an FTP site. just for ease of getting images to models, and cause CD's are a pain, both in the fact that I go through them like mad and in that I have to make an effort to get to the post office. Not fun.

I don't think there is anything wrong with giving a model a link to download from.

done rambling... wink

I now have the models agree in the release that they do not edit the photographs. Like you say, it is my art.And to me, once someone else edits my art, it then becomes their art.  I only started this last year after seeing some shots of a model I worked with in her online portfolio that she had a friend edit with photoshop to the point where she looked like a plastic or wax  figure with no pores. I asked her about it and shes like, but dont you agree it looks even better? I said "no, if I had felt that looked good I would have done that in the copy I gave you. You worked with me because you liked my work. Then you go and have someone change my work? My name is attached to that work and everyone who sees your portfolio knows who did them. They are not seeing my style. They are seeing the style of your friend who re edited them."
She sees nothing wrong with it and still to this day has her friend re edit photos from other photographers. She is one I will not be working with anylonger. It`s a shame, she was fun and she is in my present MM portfolio.

Oct 12 05 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Eric Foltz wrote:
I think all you photographers that think two weeks or more is okay need to go work as a PJ for a few months.

You will learn to quickly edit down your images to managable numbers and then optimize the one's you kept much quicker. Well, you'll either learn or you'll miss deadlines in which case you'll be fired. You need to work on your workflow and editing. After all, does any model really need 150 shots of her wearing the same outfit? Pick out the best of each pose/outfit and trash the rest.

I don't even have any commercial clients that will wait two weeks. One of the things alot of clients look for is quick turn around. If you can't provide it, they'll go find someone that can.

Eric Foltz

Most commercial clients just want one or two shots, though. Much different than a model who is doing TFP/TFCD with you in various outfits and styles for variety on her portfolio.

Oct 12 05 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

VisionsofZen

Berkeley, California, US

The whole tfp/cd thing can be tricky.  I try to be quick about getting proof images uploaded to my webspace for them to view.  Then I try to get the images that we have agreed to completed and out to them in a timely manner.  At the very minimum I maintain contact.  For those who are saying, "you should be able to do it yesterday" that's your choice to do it that way.  Some of us have regular jobs and regular life to deal with.  This is a side job for me, so I will base my turnaround time on my schedule and then come up with a date that the model and I can agree on.

I don't give out CDs of all the images, just the ones we agree to.  I don't want a bunch of "unfinished" images running around where they may end up who knows where.  My work, all of it reflects me.  If I post something that looks crappy, that's on me.  I drop out any images that make the model look bad (finger up the nose, etc...) unless they are funny lol.  But seriously, I have seen a photographers work get butchered in PS by a well meaning model or their friend.

Oct 12 05 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Paul Ferrara wrote:

That's a good approach.  Personally, I get pretty tired of hearing that it takes two weeks, four weeks, and longer for photographers to get these images out.  And on the same hand we have all these guys saying they don't use Photoshop.  Well, what the hell are they doing other than procrastinating?  I've had some models with godawful skin and it still took less than 15 minutes per image to retouch, resize and optimize for the web.  For the average model it takes me less than a minute or two per image.

Paul

I wish I had your skill.  It takes me about 2 hours just to cover dark hair on one arm.

Oct 12 05 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Foltz

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
Most commercial clients just want one or two shots, though. Much different than a model who is doing TFP/TFCD with you in various outfits and styles for variety on her portfolio.

No difference at all. The point I'm making is about workflow and I'll give you a couple of examples.

1. Shot a portrait and a wedding on the same day two weeks ago, exposed roughly 300 frames, within 24 hours both shoots were edited down to 150 keepers retouched, converted to B&W, etc.., and uploaded for them to buy prints. The wedding party had people on the east coast purchasing images the next day.

2. Had a commercial client redecorating their office and wanted 20 24x36" B&W prints of OC landmarks. Within 72hrs, I had gone through my files and got 12 shots scanned and ready for printing and shot 8 more at various locations, resized, converted and print prepped. All the prints were delivered within 1 week.

3. Shot two models last week exposing 300+ frames. Had them edited, touched up as necessary, resized and in the mail within 24 hours. If they want any additional retouching, they can email me with the file name and I'll take care of it. If I want to play around in PS and do something "artistic," I do it after I've sent her the images and email that one or two later.

Customer service is everything and fast turnaround is a big part of that. I shoot everything the way I shot as a PJ, I want it out so I can see it in the news the next day. You don't get the front page if your image doesn't make it to the paper for two weeks.

Eric Foltz

Oct 12 05 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Eric Foltz wrote:

I feel like an idiot. What's a PJ?

Oct 12 05 04:50 pm Link

Model

Mija

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Patience IS a virtue.  I've learned to ride people's behinds.....they'd rather get me my images than have me following up every week.  Each and every single week.   ha! ha!

Oct 12 05 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Foltz

Farenell Photography wrote:

I feel like an idiot. What's a PJ?

Photojournalist.

Eric Foltz

Oct 12 05 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

Imagemakersphoto

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

If he is a busy shooter then 2 weeks sounds fine (if he told you up front). If he got swamped (it happens) he may take longer. He should call or e-mail to let you know. I shoot in RAW and if I were to burn a CD right then and there you would need to be able to convert the images. I all ways edit the images, convert them, basic touch up, crop, then burn a CD to deliver with the # of agreed upon images on it. I treat my TFP jobs as jobs. They get job #s and all. It is part of my work load. It does how ever some times get pushed aside due to paying work. In that case the model is notified and I still try to keep on my time table, but when I am doing a week long job that just came in and I am shooting 12 hr days non paying work waits.

Oct 12 05 05:20 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

I'm sure A LOT of models have gone through this. But if the photographer says 2 weeks then it should be two weeks not 1 month. Does your release/contract say how long it should take?

Oct 13 05 02:07 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Eric Foltz wrote:

Photojournalist.

Eric Foltz

Doit! I should've known that one.

Oct 13 05 11:24 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Where's the CD of the images?

Still cookin.

If you work with this Chef, you better learn not to rush me. Otherwise, it's eggs blowed up in the microwave versus international omelette on a quality frying pan.

You want fast food? Go to another photographer. I'm not in this to win a speed competition.

Oct 16 05 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

What's funny is that I shoot film, and I can get my images out on a CD within 3 to 7 days....

A month???
2 weeks???

Not my place to tell another businessman how to run his business, but... Ok.

Oct 16 05 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Don Doucette

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Well two weeks is kinda long but who knows how busy this photographer is and lets face it the paying work comes first, however, if you make someone a promise and set a deadline then it is not very professional to miss that deadline. I'm kinda on the fence on this one, I just hope he didn't screw up the shoot and is too embarrassed to say anything cause that is very unprofessional, a screw up is a screw up we've all made at least one and it's easier to own up to it than it is to run away from it.

Don

(P.S. I of course have never screwed up)  {;^)

Oct 16 05 04:07 pm Link