Forums > Model Colloquy > New Models need to take advantage....

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

of the offers that are placed in your hands. Before you continue reading you should understand that I've already contacted the model and told her I was placing this on the forums, AND this is not an insult of the models ability or the photographer who took the "before" shot ability. The reason I chose an image with no photographer credit was for that sole purpose.

(I will preface the next few paragraphs by saying; "I'm kinda hard to get in touch with if we're not talking about money) I contacted / was contacted by a model a while ago about a TFP shoot. My thing is I really don't like to do them because ALL shoots cost me money in terms of time before, during, and after the shoot but that's neither here nor there....

I got with the model a couple of times and we couldn't ever nail down a date, mainly because I don't shoot too often, but none the less the conversation went back and forth for a while with no shoot date set. I finally had a shoot date in mind, I had someone renting the studio for the day and he wanted to a wide range of models.

I thought that I would contact all the models that had been wanting to shoot with me TFP because if I was gonna do it, this date would be the date that I would offer them to shoot with not only one, but two photographers. I contacted the model and was like, this is the day! She was reluctant and was giving me all these excuses about why she didn't want to come on that day. I finally got frustrated and said; "listen, it will be this day, or No day if you want a TFP." Those may not have been the exact words but you get the idea.

The shoot went off without a hitch and I feel that my images will be the life of her online portfolio until she shoots with other more talented photographers. I think she understood that she had to take advantage of the opportunity she was being offered and seize the moment! I'm glad she did.

I say all this to say, NEW MODELS TAKE ADVANTAGE of ALL YOUR OPPORTUNITIES. Don't let someone else dictate your destiny. Because below you can see the advantages of working with a not so good photographer and in some peoples eyes, another not so good photographer.

BEFORE EMG:

https://pic1.modelmayhem.com/1/2/2/7/4341f399d785d.jpg

AFTER EMG:

https://www.phillyriderz.com/ImageLink/MM/Aprille.jpg

Oct 13 05 01:02 pm Link

Model

Digital Tracy

Oakland, California, US

All the difference in the world.

Oct 13 05 01:04 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

You did this girl a world of justice.

Oct 13 05 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Sweet work..and I love the "synergy" of colors...with the blue in her bra, makeup, and the wall...and yes, I probably misused the word synergy, but it sounds cool and makes me feel like my opinions are important big_smile

Oct 13 05 01:44 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Awesome photo.

Oct 13 05 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

You're absolutely right--we all need to, as some anonymous but amazingly influential ad writer said, just do it.  All of our hemming and hawing won't get us closer to our goals.

Oct 13 05 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Shes a doll. However, if I had been the one in your shoes,at the first hint of reluctance from her in that phone call I would have said "Ok, just thought I would give you a call and offer you the time slot, take care and good luck with your modeling" and hanged up the phone. I do not have time for reluctance and what better way to teach her she needs to take advantage of doors being opened when they are opened. She needs to be able to think and decide on the fly in situations like that.

Oct 13 05 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Harrison Sweazea

Jefferson City, Missouri, US

Wow!

Oct 13 05 01:57 pm Link

Model

Maria T

Lambertville, New Jersey, US

That's what I started to do..but no more tfps for me

Oct 13 05 01:58 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Great photo.  Love all the blue.

Oct 13 05 02:26 pm Link

Model

Lillith Leda

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

Isn't it amazing how godawful a girl can look with terrible lighting? A photographer once told me 'you could make the most beautiful girl look incredibly ugly with bad lighting". Badass under-eye shadow can so ruin an image, of both the photograph and the model.

Oct 13 05 02:42 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

AGREED!!!

Oct 13 05 02:46 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
Shes a doll. However, if I had been the one in your shoes,at the first hint of reluctance from her in that phone call I would have said "Ok, just thought I would give you a call and offer you the time slot, take care and good luck with your modeling" and hanged up the phone. I do not have time for reluctance and what better way to teach her she needs to take advantage of doors being opened when they are opened. She needs to be able to think and decide on the fly in situations like that.

"Hanged up the phone"

???

Okay......[whistling on the way out]

Oct 13 05 02:48 pm Link

Model

jK_

Los Angeles, California, US

huge difference

geeze i'm really starting to wonder what i'd look like with pro pics and the make up

Oct 13 05 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

I thought about saying forget just call me when you get some money, but I didn't. I think she learned a lot that day because there were other models and things like that at the studio.

I'm happy that she was able to get some good stuff that day.

Oct 13 05 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

i wonder why this model didn't bring her "a" game to the first image....everyone knows, just anyone can release a shutter....

...its the model that makes the image....

right Angelus?

Oct 13 05 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

megafunk

Los Angeles, California, US

EMG STUDIOS wrote:
reason I chose an image with no photographer credit was for that sole purpose.

Good way to illustrate the point. She was very close to SOL instead of EMG.

Oct 13 05 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

Washington, District of Columbia, US

EMG:

Amen!

I still offer TFP shoots as they are the best way for me to screen models for my commerical stuff or if I need to nail a shoot and I know that a certain model can bring the goods.

In the past, I had too many of the "pay me I'm pretty" models with no skills to back up the price they pay. I've wised up.

I had an e-mail tennis match with a model for a project that I'm shooting nudes for red head models.  She responded to a post on another online modeling site.  In her reply she proceeded to name an outrageous rate ($150 per hour) and demand that she do implied only.  I replied with a retort that she was not in position to dictate terms to me and if she did not want to do nudes then why did she reply to the ad?  She replied back stating that her manager told her that it was not in her interest to do nudes (again why is she answering the ad for nude work?? and why is SHE answering the ad

Oct 13 05 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Doug Swinskey wrote:
i wonder why this model didn't bring her "a" game to the first image....everyone knows, just anyone can release a shutter....

...its the model that makes the image....

right Angelus?

Well said, Doug,

furthermore

Lillith Leda wrote:
Isn't it amazing how godawful a girl can look with terrible lighting? A photographer once told me 'you could make the most beautiful girl look incredibly ugly with bad lighting". Badass under-eye shadow can so ruin an image, of both the photograph and the model.

Yup, ...its the model that makes the image....

right models?

Mark

Oct 13 05 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Lillith Leda wrote:

I'm left wondering how much time the model spent in make-up and wardrobe pre shoot?

How much time elapsed between the two images posted?

What does the model think of her new image(s)?

Does she have a MM profile so we can see more of the new images?

Why is she not posted in your portfolio during the time of this thread?

Oct 13 05 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

MarkMarek wrote:
furthermore

Yup, ...its the model that makes the image....

right models?

Mark

Bingo Mark, the model is 100% of the image.

Oct 13 05 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Greek-Italian Model wrote:
That's what I started to do..but no more tfps for me

Are your stats correct???

Oct 13 05 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Craig Thomson wrote:
I'm left wondering how much time the model spent in make-up and wardrobe pre shoot?

In my shoot, 20 minutes in hair and makeup maybe?

Craig Thomson wrote:

I'm not sure.

Craig Thomson wrote:

She says she loves it.

Craig Thomson wrote:

MM 1227. This was a teaser image. She hasn't made her selections yet.

Craig Thomson wrote:

Good question. I have no idea, I like the image but I'm not sure it's "my portfolio" type material. Everything I shoot doesn't make it into my port.

I can tell you that this model showed up to the studio looking just like the girl in the first picture. EMG don't play that!!! I had another model put the braids in her hair and the makeup artist that was there that day was showing me what she had / audition (we did pay the makeup artist) and the result is the 2nd picture.

Oct 13 05 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

PDXImaging

Lake Oswego, Oregon, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

That's the approach I've adopted, most recently when an agency contacted me to shoot two of their models, and the dates I had available, dates as in plural, conflicted with their minimum wage jobs...  And no problem with that, everyone has priorities, but these were offers with options, well in advance...  After getting "URGENT" and "REALLY IMPORTANT" e-mails from the models wondering if I could do from 1:40 to 3:10 on one day and 12:15 to 1:25 on another, etc., I told the agency they needed to have a serious talk with their models and informed them I am happy to help, just clear the path before they get to me...

If the model can't find two hours of available time with 2-3 weeks advance notice and multiple options, I'm on to the next project...

Oct 13 05 08:45 pm Link

Model

Burnz F

San Diego, California, US

what the heck man, I'll shoot with you ANYTIME smile no reluctance whatsoever... lol

Oct 13 05 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:

"Hanged up the phone"

???

Okay......[whistling on the way out]

According to proper english it can either be hung or hanged,lol. Hanged just came out,lol. btw, whistlin through your nose isnt exactly attractive on a girl like you smile

Oct 13 05 09:11 pm Link

Model

A Cristina

Craig Thomson wrote:

Hi!
im the girl in the images
as to questions
1) the first image was taken in august(my second shoot) the image with EMG was taken in October
2)I love the Images with EMG!
3)yeah, this is my mm portfolio

Oct 13 05 09:28 pm Link

Model

A Cristina

EMG STUDIOS wrote:

I can tell you that this model showed up to the studio looking just like the girl in the first picture. EMG don't play that!!!

Yes, b/c you said we would figure it out when i got there becuase you didnt want to plan it.

And for the record, I wasnt giving you excuses. I had been in the hospital 2 weeks before that shoot.

Oct 13 05 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Aprille wrote:

EMG STUDIOS wrote:

I can tell you that this model showed up to the studio looking just like the girl in the first picture. EMG don't play that!!!

Yes, b/c you said we would figure it out when i got there becuase you didnt want to plan it.

And for the record, I wasnt giving you excuses. I had been in the hospital 2 weeks before that shoot.

Ahhah,I knew the girl in that image looked familiar,lol. Hey , that shot of you with the words painted into your skin......... I recently saw another model with the same words in the same places but a slightly different pose. What is the deal with that?

Oct 13 05 09:34 pm Link

Model

A Cristina

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Aprille wrote:

EMG STUDIOS wrote:

Ahhah,I knew the girl in that image looked familiar,lol. Hey , that shot of you with the words painted into your skin......... I recently saw another model with the same words in the same places but a slightly different pose. What is the deal with that?

It was for a clothing company
Elate Wear, for a project called Women Elate the World. It was a project where differnet women painted the word Elate along with one of the definiations, and posed. We also wrote about what Elates us about being a woman

Oct 13 05 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Aprille wrote:

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Aprille wrote:

EMG STUDIOS wrote:

It was for a clothing company
Elate Wear, for a project called Women Elate the World. It was a project where differnet women painted the word Elate along with one of the definiations, and posed. We also wrote about what Elates us about being a woman

Oh, ok. So it was sort of an ad campaign. I thought it was just some photographer who saw your pic and liked the idea and ran with it,lol.

Oct 13 05 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

EMG STUDIOS wrote:
I can tell you that this model showed up to the studio looking just like the girl in the first picture. EMG don't play that!!! I had another model put the braids in her hair and the makeup artist that was there that day was showing me what she had / audition (we did pay the makeup artist) and the result is the 2nd picture.

Thank you very much for answering all my questions. It helps to put things in perspective for some of us Virgos.

Oct 13 05 09:44 pm Link

Model

A Cristina

Craig Thomson wrote:

Thank you very much for answering all my questions. It helps to put things in perspective for some of us Virgos.

I answered the questions too!

Oct 13 05 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Aprille wrote:
Hi!
im the girl in the images
as to questions
1) the first image was taken in august(my second shoot) the image with EMG was taken in October
2)I love the Images with EMG!
3)yeah, this is my mm portfolio

Thank you Aprille, I'm happy to hear you had a pleasurable experience with another fine photographer; we all need to hear positive things more often.

I noticed from your portfolio in the first two photos that you seem to be wearing the same make up as in the photo from "EMG studio" that is posted from "MBNY Photo" was that shoot on the same day or are they part of a team of photographers and make up artist that collaborate as some seem to do?

Craig

Ps, sorry for the delay Aprille, I was cutting and pasting as fast as I could

Oct 13 05 09:52 pm Link

Model

A Cristina

Craig Thomson wrote:

Thank you Aprille, I'm happy to hear you had a pleasurable experience with another fine photographer; we all need to hear positive things more often.

I noticed from your portfolio in the first two photos that you seem to be wearing the same make up as in the photo from "EMG studio" that is posted from "MBNY Photo" was that shoot on the same day or are they part of a team of photographers and make up artist that collaborate as some seem to do?

Craig

Ps, sorry for the delay Aprille, I was cutting and pasting as fast as I could

haha
its ok!
yeah, MBNY and EMG was shot in the same day! Same makeup! and they worked in the same studio that day

Oct 13 05 10:37 pm Link

Model

Semora

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

Hey aprille nice pic.You look sweet! Not too keen about the facial express but the clarity of this photo is real nice, PLUS I LOOOOVVVEEE blue and you can wear that blue girl!! The first pic looses your arms, plus the quality is poor. I think you have talent and this is only the beginning! Hope to see you in the near future.

Oct 14 05 06:47 am Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Aprille wrote:

Aprille, you're not upset are you? I emailed you and told you about the post and you've met me so you know my demeanor. So I'm sure you can picture me speaking everything that I've typed.  ;-)

Oct 14 05 09:46 am Link

Model

A Cristina

EMG STUDIOS wrote:

Aprille, you're not upset are you? I emailed you and told you about the post and you've met me so you know my demeanor. So I'm sure you can picture me speaking everything that I've typed.  ;-)

No, I just wanted to make it clear that i wasnt being flaky..i was really sick
No worries
Great shoot!
Aprille

Oct 14 05 07:37 pm Link