Forums > Model Colloquy > Question for the models

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

When you contact a photographer for TFCD/testing work, do you generally contact them with the thought in mind they will want to do the type of work they have in their portfolio, or do you contact them because you generally like their ability and have an idea and want help executing it?

Oct 14 05 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

David Moyle wrote:
When you contact a photographer for TFCD/testing work, do you generally contact them with the thought in mind they will want to do the type of work they have in their portfolio, or do you contact them because you generally like their ability and have an idea and want help executing it?

Are you sayin you get emails from models askin for TFP/TFCD? Wow, if I am contacted by a model first, its always her soliciting a shoot, with her rates attached,lol.

Oct 14 05 07:27 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
Are you sayin you get emails from models askin for TFP/TFCD? Wow, if I am contacted by a model first, its always her soliciting a shoot, with her rates attached,lol.

That's just tacky. I can't believe some models have the nerve to do such a thing. Wait, yes I can.

Oct 14 05 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

I've gotten a few lately. They ask if I'd be interested, and they are great looking models, so sure. But lately I'm trying to perfect a specific style, and have allot of it in my portfolio, so I'm willing to shoot whatever they want in return for their help working on my type of work (I try to keep a variety in my portfolio to show I can do different things). I'm just wondering if that is unreasonale to assume? When they ask, do they mean they are interested in my style of work, or not necessarily? I mean, I don't really have the need for allot of headshots, "maxim" style, etc...my goals are different. But I'll shoot that if I can get some help with my own ideas in return.

Oct 14 05 07:35 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

David Moyle wrote:

Usually if I contact someone it's because I like their style. I don't always have an idea in mind at that moment, but that usually comes to me later.

Oct 14 05 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Envy wrote:

Usually if I contact someone it's because I like their style. I don't always have an idea in mind at that moment, but that usually comes to me later.

So, if I replied with, "sure, what did you have in mind? would you be interested in shooting some of the more artistic stuff in my portfolio in return for whatever you want to do? I would keep the copyrights to my artistic work, and you can do what you want with the stuff you want to shoot"

Would that be unreasonable to you, or am I making an unfair suggestion?

Oct 14 05 07:43 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

David Moyle wrote:
So, if I replied with, "sure, what did you have in mind? would you be interested in shooting some of the more artistic stuff in my portfolio in return for whatever you want to do? I would keep the copyrights to my artistic work, and you can do what you want with the stuff you want to shoot"

Very reasonable to me. It's alot more than what most photographers would offer for TFP that's for sure.

Oct 14 05 07:47 pm Link

Model

skycladarts

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Usually I contact the photographer as I like the style/genre of work that they show in their portfolio.

Oct 14 05 07:47 pm Link

Model

Jin

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

If I like the work a photographer has in his/her portfolio, then I will work TFP/CD with them if they agree to the same.  If they want paid, then I say no because I can't afford it because I'm a starving model.  LOL  And a starving pet groomer.  But I rarely ever send e-mails out to photographers asking to work with them.  Usually they track me down.  If I feel that I can definately get useful images from a photographer and I absolutely have to work with them, then I'll contact them about TFP/CD shoots.  What's the point of working with someone if you don't like their work?  If I do a TFP/CD shoot, then I expect to be able to use at least 1-2 images and get hits and good comments and possibly other work from those images.  Besides, it's free advertising for the photographer.  smile

Oct 14 05 07:49 pm Link

Model

Semora

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

I may contact someone and ask them for their rates mainly because i dig their style.

Oct 14 05 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

Interesting... most of the models contacting me want to do something within one of my existing concepts.  Maybe that's in part because the concepts are often described in some detail on my main web site.  Just had one yesterday inquire about a specific artistic idea all her own, but she's the exception, and I've worked with her once before.  I actually enjoy it when a model comes in with creative ideas, but I don't like to sketch a shoot out in extreme detail in advance; better, for me at least, to start with the framework of a concept and see where the unique creative synergy of each photographer-model combination leads.

Oct 14 05 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

David Moyle wrote:

I'm just wondering if that is unreasonale to assume? When they ask, do they mean they are interested in my style of work, or not necessarily?

I wonder the same thing when I do get a TFP/TFCD request, although that is rare. I actually ask them why they picked me out of everyone else though. I ask especially since if you look at my portfolio, nothing really looks the same as the other. All the models shoots have their own style to them. I actually change styles to fit what I and the model think would make her look best according to what we want. I guess you could say *that* is what my style is, variety.

Oct 14 05 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

David Moyle wrote:

Very reasonable. I would not do a TFP/TFCD shoot if it were not benificial to me. Many times I have done shots of a model that she wanted that I had absolutely no use for as long as she did some shots that I did need. Sometimes the model did a style of shots for me that she had no use for in exchange for images she did.Its a you scratch my back ill scratch yours kinda thing all the way.

Oct 14 05 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Ken Mierzwa wrote:
Interesting... most of the models contacting me want to do something within one of my existing concepts.  Maybe that's in part because the concepts are often described in some detail on my main web site.  Just had one yesterday inquire about a specific artistic idea all her own, but she's the exception, and I've worked with her once before.  I actually enjoy it when a model comes in with creative ideas, but I don't like to sketch a shoot out in extreme detail in advance; better, for me at least, to start with the framework of a concept and see where the unique creative synergy of each photographer-model combination leads.

Yea. I also list ongoing projects on my profile here and on every other site like this where I am a member. Usually they email me with a selection of projects they would like to participate in. When I reply I also ask if they have anything else they would like to do and I list any new themes/projects I have come up with.

Oct 14 05 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Yea. I also list ongoing projects on my profile here and on every other site like this where I am a member. Usually they email me with a selection of projects they would like to participate in. When I reply I also ask if they have anything else they would like to do and I list any new themes/projects I have come up with.

I suppose I should start doing this, I don't know why I just never get around to changing my profile text.

Oct 14 05 09:10 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I very very rarely contact someone for TFP. When I do, it's because they are working on a project I'm interested in being a part of.

Oct 14 05 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Envy wrote:

Very reasonable to me. It's alot more than what most photographers would offer for TFP that's for sure.

I look at it as building a business relationship. I also like to consider the people I work with as friends or sort of "business partners". You get further that way I think. They remember you when they run into someone looking for someone to do a job. Besides, I'm in a different market, I don't try to pretend I'm some fashion shooter in a competitive market, I do mostly product and catalog work for a living. This is just my art.

Oct 14 05 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

nakedpoet wrote:
Usually I contact the photographer as I like the style/genre of work that they show in their portfolio.

I contacted Steve (nakedpoet) after I saw his post to a local group stating that he was heading to my area and wanted to schedule with photographers. We communicated a bit via emails and covered all the details including the ride back to Seattle.

It was a win/win situation.

Craig

Btw, Yes, I've photographed male models and a very naked male model...smile
Steve is a great model and a very nice person

Oct 14 05 11:58 pm Link

Model

-Katie-

Halifax, Massachusetts, US

I've had some photographers agree to shoot what I wanted and then do whatever style they wanted in return, and it has always worked out nicely. But normally, when I work with someone it's because I like their style and I'm interested in creating images with them (whether we come up with the concept together or the photographer already has something in mind). To me, if it's a TFP shoot... as long as everyone's happy with their part of the deal and no one feels ripped off then it's worth while.

Oct 15 05 12:05 am Link

Model

Danielle

Lakeland, Florida, US

I usually will read the about me section, if they say they do TFP/TFCD and i really like their work i message them and ask them if there is anything they need for their portfolio and also give them some of my ideas if i have some.

Generally i stay open minded to new ideas b/c that's where the fun is.

Oct 15 05 01:25 am Link

Model

GenericsRUs

New Rochelle, New York, US

Hi all...
I will send a letter to a photographer if I like his work, and think I may be an asset to any ideas he may have. I enjoy being the artistic creation of another, as my own vision there can be myopic at times.

-Ella

Oct 15 05 01:32 am Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Thank you for the insights everyone, I appreciate getting the view of the models.

Oct 15 05 09:33 pm Link