Forums > Model Colloquy > It takes 2 to Tango

Model

Kiera

Des Moines, Iowa, US

I'd just like to remind all the models out there to give those photograpers photo credit as often as you can. It takes 2 to tango in this business. I've seen a lot of blanks lately and I know it takes some extra time but it is really the right thing to do. I have shot with some amazing photogs and I really appreciate all the help they give me and still stay in touch with most of them. I even contacted one of the very first guys who shot me named Darren Trentacosta a while back and thanked him again for his support and great images. He remembered me even though he is a big deal NYC photog now.
Anyways, that is just what I needed to say today. Do you photogs have any thoughts on that? Or am I just talking out my butt again?

Oct 16 05 03:50 pm Link

Model

Digital Tracy

Oakland, California, US

Kiera wrote:
I'd just like to remind all the models out there to give those photograpers photo credit as often as you can. It takes 2 to tango in this business. I've seen a lot of blanks lately and I know it takes some extra time but it is really the right thing to do. I have shot with some amazing photogs and I really appreciate all the help they give me and still stay in touch with most of them. I even contacted one of the very first guys who shot me named Darren Trentacosta a while back and thanked him again for his support and great images. He remembered me even though he is a big deal NYC photog now.
Anyways, that is just what I needed to say today. Do you photogs have any thoughts on that? Or am I just talking out my butt again?

I can't agree more!

Oct 16 05 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

No, you're not rambling.

In most cases, the girl is either pissed off with the photog over something incredibly petty, or she just doesn't know the value of the credit.

Oct 16 05 03:51 pm Link

Model

Kiera

Des Moines, Iowa, US

I know a lot of models who take photos through small town agencies don't know the names of the photogs the agency brings in but that is a good thing for them to find out. I don't think the photogs always let the models know how important it is and I think if a photog sees a model using their photos on the web, they should remind them they could use the credit. I know I wouldn't be upset if someone reminded me.

Oct 16 05 03:57 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I responded to a post simular to this about a month ago.
Not all photographers want credit for their images. Sometimes they don't want people to know they shot say for instance nudes when they typically shoot fashion. I've been asked not to give credit for some of my images.
I always give credit where it's due, but always respect their wishes if they don't want their name given. This may be the case with some of those blanks you've come across.

I'm quite sure that this is not the majority behind the reason why people don't fill in that blank though.

Oct 16 05 04:09 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

You made me feel bad for being lazy,  all my photographers were credited once, but not on all pictures,  I fixed it.  do i get a cookie?

Oct 16 05 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Kiera wrote:
Or am I just talking out my butt again?

Eh? I have bad hearing. Let me put my ear up closer. G'head.

*PFFFFFFFFTtttttttt*

But, of course! You're absolutely right. Photographers should get credit.

Nice buns by the way big_smile

Oct 16 05 04:27 pm Link

Model

Kiera

Des Moines, Iowa, US

All buns aside... I didn't mean to spank anyone and I am so glad we can all talk about it. I need some help sometimes, too, I just thought I had seen it a lot since there are getting to be more beginner models on this site. Thought they might need a nudge.

Oct 16 05 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

Awesome post. And most decent photographers will be equally supportive of the models with whom they've worked with, and get them work, get their images published, link to them online, etc. Positive people attract positive people.

Oct 16 05 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

Washington, District of Columbia, US

This post is quite timely for me.

There is a model that has a MM portfolio and the images on here are exclusively ones that we shot.

No credit line for me.

If I had the nerve, I'd demand a credit (it written in the model release that she has to credit me) but I really don't want to get into it as I had to do it once before.

But I shouldn't be surprised.  Lots of photographers, MUAs and other models have subsequently tolds me that the model's personal demeanor is fairly self-centered so it's consistnent that she would be this way.

It's too bad beacuse I think that she was a decent model and a good shoot. I just would not shoot with her again beacuse I don't think she could be trusted to manage the images to the letter and spirit of the model release.

Kudos for you to remind models that a credit for images done certain photographesr is a reference in and of itself.  I know I look for them as speaks what kind of model I'm dealing with.

Oct 16 05 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Downin

Salem, Oregon, US

Kiera wrote:

I totally agree, but would extend this to everyone, not just models.  Often times I see a picture I like and would like to see more from that person, be it photographer, model, stylist, and am very disappointed because of a lack of credit.  Unless specifically requested, I think it can help everyone involved to credit everyone else.  I want other people to seek out the people I work with, and when I see a picture where no credit is given, I have to think that the poster doesn't.

Oct 16 05 06:50 pm Link

Model

Ms Kaylee

Helena, Montana, US

I totally agree with you. But as humans, we tend to focus more on ourselves and less on others.

But this should also be said to photogs. I've seen profiles of some photographers where although they gave the name of the model, they never linked it to his/her profile if the model is a member of MM. I hate going through comments and such and guessing who's picture is who's.

Oct 16 05 06:54 pm Link

Model

Erin Robinson

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

Tim Downin wrote:
I totally agree, but would extend this to everyone, not just models.  Often times I see a picture I like and would like to see more from that person, be it photographer, model, stylist, and am very disappointed because of a lack of credit.  Unless specifically requested, I think it can help everyone involved to credit everyone else.  I want other people to seek out the people I work with, and when I see a picture where no credit is given, I have to think that the poster doesn't.

Well said!  I have a couple of shots on my profile that are uncredited, but two are non-professional shots that I put up until I have better images, and I don't think the photographer WANTS to be associated with them.  The others were taken by a photographer who doesn't have a profile here...can someone tell me what the proper etiquette would be regarding that?  Should I credit him anyway?  Thanks for bringing this to light...didn't want to step on any toes, especially not this early in the game.

Oct 16 05 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Thank you to the Original Poster.

At the basic level it is a decent and respectful thing to do for the photographer.

In a practical sense having credits on the model's profiles give a much wider exposure for your name and work when you are starting out.  (Since I would guess that model pageviews are about 5/6 to 1 compared to photographer's pageviews)

And as a reverse - I try to always give credit when it is wanted. 

I can see the point of posting some uncredited images at the model's request.  (if she likes the pic - but doesn't want to be credited as the model - that's cool too.)

Oct 16 05 07:22 pm Link

Model

Kiera

Des Moines, Iowa, US

I am so glad to hear this is a topic we can all share info about. MUAs, too. It just takes a little bit of extra time to give everyone a pat on the back. My photog here in Wichita, Jed Speer, is awesome at that. I have to say, I've learned a lot from working with considerate photogs even about this. One of the first big-time guys I worked with was Dean Johnson and he really gives models tons of support. As far as if they aren't on MM, I guess since I have been on a zillion web sites, it just comes second nature for me to usually title the photo "photo by whoever". Yes, it is of me but since that is a given if it is in a web porfolio, I use the photog's name as the title most of the time.

Oct 17 05 01:26 am Link

Model

Kiera

Des Moines, Iowa, US

Well said!  I have a couple of shots on my profile that are uncredited, but two are non-professional shots that I put up until I have better images, and I don't think the photographer WANTS to be associated with them.  The others were taken by a photographer who doesn't have a profile here...can someone tell me what the proper etiquette would be regarding that?  Should I credit him anyway?  Thanks for bringing this to light...didn't want to step on any toes, especially not this early in the game.

To this I say:
I even try and give my mom or whoever photo credit. Friends and family like to see their name up there, too. AND, if you take it yourself and it is a cool shot, give yourself credit. You may have some other talents, too. LOL

Oct 17 05 01:30 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Kiera, I like your soul baby. It's a good one. wink

Oct 17 05 01:33 am Link

Model

Kiera

Des Moines, Iowa, US

I gotta admit, I love this game. Photogs, MUAs, stylists... it is all so exciting. Even after all these years, I still get the jitters before a shoot. I just know how hard it really is to put together great images. Photography is just magic to me still. This has been a great thread. Thanks for all the good comments.

Oct 17 05 01:38 am Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

oh i just wanted to remind everyone that also:

"it takes 2 to make everything go right, it takes 2 to make it outta sight"

- EZ Rock and Rob Base

Oct 17 05 08:13 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

Indeed.  I ask in my model release that if a model uses one of the sample images I give her from a paid shoot, that she should ensure she give credit as best she can.  At MM that means linking to my portfolio here, at the Other Model Place, it means a similar thing.  On sites where I don't have a portfolio, I ask they include "2005 Moraxian.us" as the copyright (or whatever year it is when we took the photos)...

Oct 17 05 08:53 am Link

Model

Leeinda

Guntersville, Alabama, US

I agree most certainly! If i ever work with a photog i am sure to comment on their page and on my picture if it is on their page and to list them on my page along with their MM or OMP# so if they like that image they can find them. Photogs deserve credit too big_smile

Oct 18 05 10:34 am Link

Photographer

Desired Images

Miami, Florida, US

sometimes the credit is worth more to me than the money................

Oct 18 05 10:40 am Link

Model

spyro2122

Orlando, Florida, US

I love giving the photographer credit. it is important cause you never know when you will cross paths again!

Oct 18 05 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Kiera wrote:
...... One of the first big-time guys I worked with was Dean Johnson and he really gives models tons of support. .......

Aw shucks Kiera! How sweet of you. Your reward?....I just put a couple of your pics on my MM profile and gave you credit!! And you are my new avatar!...for a while at least...I like to change it occasionally
Dean

P.S.The only reason none of the other photos on my MM profile aren't linked to the model is simply because they don't have profiles here.

Oct 18 05 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Miguel Book 1

Washington, District of Columbia, US

The whole idea of a site like this is to Network. So all the parties can benefit from the business relanshionship to find more work.
So the aknowlege and credits are important. Not need to kiss B.....saying how exceptional this one is, or the best, etc.
The tag can take care of that.
Just plane links to their page wich MM and other sites make it as easy as can be.
It is just a little box under Model #
The sad part is that those people that practice that behavior, because I feel that is not only model, will never read this post on this forum or will never care.
Just my thougths.
Miguel

Oct 18 05 11:21 am Link