Forums > Photography Talk > when to shoot for free and when to get paid

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

LoL @ Christopher.  Without backgrounds people just clash dude.  It's another example of people doing it as a career and those who don't (and are incredibly independently wealthy like you, dude! lol).

Both of you are right, targetting different audience.  Let's separate the two sides, please.

** That is, start another thread about how not to make money and have fun ** - enough hijacking...really.  smile

- Leo the Moderator

May 17 07 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

KCS Photo

Great post Sean. :-)

May 17 07 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Spotty Dotty wrote:
But you are so so so so independently wealthy!!!  smile  I like you!

How do you go from "I don't shoot to make a living" to "I am independently wealthy?" I've never claimed to be independently wealthy. I merely say that I don't need to make a living at photography. There are scores of photographers here on MM in the very same boat, and we all seem to be derided by those who do make a living with photography as some kind of evil bastards, taking food out of the commercial shooter's mouth.

PS: I side with Snoopy, who said, "Cats are the crabgrass in the lawn of life." :-)

May 17 07 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

radar

New York, New York, US

Legacys 7 wrote:
The biggest problem in the photography business is the lack of marketing sense. There are two good books out there that I recommend. Well actually 3.

And they are?

May 17 07 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Ronnie Adar wrote:

And they are?

the links are posted on page 2.

May 17 07 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

radar

New York, New York, US

Legacys 7 wrote:

the links are posted on page 2.

thanks...

May 17 07 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

radar

New York, New York, US

Sean thanks for the advice.

May 17 07 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Laurence Moan

Huntington Beach, California, US

Christopher Ambler wrote:

How do you go from "I don't shoot to make a living" to "I am independently wealthy?" I've never claimed to be independently wealthy. I merely say that I don't need to make a living at photography. There are scores of photographers here on MM in the very same boat, and we all seem to be derided by those who do make a living with photography as some kind of evil bastards, taking food out of the commercial shooter's mouth.

PS: I side with Snoopy, who said, "Cats are the crabgrass in the lawn of life." :-)

From your Bio maybe?
"as I'm one of those idiots who got lucky during the dot-com boom."

And she says she liked you.

Now, about that misplaced angst...

May 17 07 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

[Bookmarked]

Thank you Sean and everyone contributed. smile

May 17 07 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Laurence Moan wrote:
From your Bio maybe?
"as I'm one of those idiots who got lucky during the dot-com boom."

And she says she liked you.

Now, about that misplaced angst...

Points, in order: Getting lucky doesn't necessarily equate to wealth. "She" is a fake account for someone's cat. I dumped my angst in the 80's when I stopped being emo.

And I still don't like cats.

May 17 07 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

** Enough threadjacking to a really good thread! **

Leo - Moderator  smile

May 17 07 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

5th Floor Photography

New York, New York, US

Sean,

Thanks for the sound advice.  I hope to turn the corner to paid work as I improve.

To the others who seem intent on hijacking this thread for.  This is some of the best advice I've seen or heard on making the move to become a working photographer.  I'm here to learn and get better. 

Feel free to start your own thread called "I like to shoot half or fully naked women in my spare time because most dating sites require a picture of me".

If you have a reply email me (I'll just delete it) and stop wasting every ones time with your self absorbed babble.

""She" is a fake account for someone's cat. I dumped my angst in the 80's when I stopped being emo. And I still don't like cats." 

Who cares if you like cats or not.  Maybe your thread should be posted on cathaters.com.

Good Luck to everyone here,

Frank

May 17 07 07:38 pm Link

Model

Shayn

New York, New York, US

I love this guy!

May 17 07 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

Chex

Ahhhh... the Mighty Sean has spoken.. that means 2 things

1.  He's finally got enough free time from shooting and editing to come on MM to chat and post.

2.  He better be planning another meet for the 1 he started A LONG time ago with the So Cal photographers hahaha.

Seriously you had a great thing started, i'd love to see it follow through.

Now to add my 2cents for those who are asking the question how do I start to make a little money to recoup my investment in gear, or even on how to make a career out of it.

RULE #1 its a business so start treating it as a business and not a hobby any more.
One of the easiest ways to discover who might start paying for your photography is to clearly identify your TARGET MARKET!  Many many online articles on market research or identifying your Target Market. 

This WORKS even for MODELS!!! A model friend of mine who has a $4,000.00 day rate and gets paid that atleast once a month.  She's not the most beautiful fashion model, nor the tallest, skinnest, but shes got good business sense.  She treated her modeling career as a job, identified her strongest traits and assests.  Found the target market that fit those traits and went in for the kill.  She hustled her ass off, but by doing so she has done well for herself. 

Entrepreneur.com has a WEALTH of valuable information all for free.. Great place to start.

May 17 07 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

good threads should not be lost

Jun 28 07 08:48 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey Rich Creative

Brighton, New York, US

You have really hit the nail on the head.  Excellent thread!

Jun 28 07 08:54 am Link

Photographer

Janine

San Diego, California, US

excellent advice.. thanks so much

Jun 28 07 08:59 am Link

Photographer

BYS

Paris, Île-de-France, France

simple
free jobs = slavery
now do as you want
tb

Jun 28 07 08:59 am Link

Photographer

JimGL

New York, New York, US

It's just a matter of balance.

What do I get out of the job vs what does the client get out of the job.  I just went to Mexico to shoot a brand new hotel--no pay(I have photographed all other 4 hotels they own).  I flew myself and my assistant down there.  The hotel covered all our costs for the 5 nights.  They will tell anyone interested in pics to contact me--maybe I will make some cash on this, maybe I won't.  But I do have probably 4 or 5 new spreads in my portfolio and it gives me a chance to contact clients(magazines) and say "hey, I just shot this new hotel".  Also got to meet new people and see a bit of Mexico I only new in a surface way.

And I would rather be shooting on the days I am not booked, even if it is for free.

Of course, if the shoot subject is something I have no connection to and is ugly or not designed well in my eyes, I will either turn it down or do it only for the money.

Jun 28 07 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Madcrow Photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Why, oh why, was somebody's bashing of the entire hobbyist sector necromanced?

Jun 28 07 09:06 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Brooks Ayola wrote:

Never said that at all. I don't expect anything from a free market, but why should that discourage me from making my feelings about it known? You came here and said that "Anyone who gets upset and thinks that I'm hurting their market has bigger problems." What might those be? Personal issues? Medical issues? There's nothing wrong in being upset when your competition lowballs. There's nothing I can do about it other than show my disrespect for them. They are free to do it no matter what I say and I've never claimed otherwise.

This is why I have no interest in pursuing "L.A. clients".  People here undercut you.  Consequently, these "L.A. clients" expect everyone - even photographers - to work for them for free.  Unless, of course, you're from New York or some other part of the world.  Art buyers in L.A. have little or no respect for so-called "L.A. photographers" - and that's partly the fault of . . . "L.A. photographers": undercutting each other or giving it away for free*. 

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

*I myself have been guilty of that, so my hands aren't entirely clean.

Jun 28 07 09:42 am Link

Photographer

Madcrow Photographics

My "Official" response to this bit of necromancy: https://modelmayhem.com/p.php?thread_id=158779

Jun 28 07 09:53 am Link

Photographer

SeriouslyFunny

Atlanta, Georgia, US

This thread just got introduced to my bookmarks in IE. Excellent advice.

Sean Armenta wrote:
if you are at a level much higher than everyone else involved, stop it, you need to get paid cause you are giving your work away.

Now, I have to ask. What's your advice for getting models to realize this? I got a ton of responses to my LA travel notice, and a bunch from these "up and coming" girls w/ really crappy photos in their port. (think camera phone) They were expecting TFCD, or in some cases, for ME to pay THEM. It was kinda frustrating, but no biggie because I'm not gonna let the fun be taken out of this for me.

It's good to know my thoughts have been confirmed by another photographer. I always felt that whoever can improve the other should get paid. I would have no problems paying a model like Alicia: https://modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=374276 because she would improve my port and get me more attention. Whereas someone just starting out should at least make me and offer.

Totally agree about TFCD, if you're on the same level, and the photos would be mutually beneficial, that's the way to go.

Jun 28 07 10:09 am Link

Photographer

Madcrow Photographics

I attack this thread with my Sword of Rigtheous Justice (+2 against undead).

Jun 28 07 10:13 am Link

Photographer

J Christopher Little

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

good post by sean.  needs a bump.

Aug 09 07 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Tureson

Aurora, Illinois, US

WELL WRITTEN and thank your for bumping!

Aug 09 07 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

mary duprie

Pontiac, Michigan, US

yes, absolutely

give it away so they can find you, once they start calling you you'll know your ready to charge.  I am one of the few that strictly shoots models full time..no weddings,portraits, seniors ect...

so i had to get into all the agenices to start with....it took 2 years of giving it away....

..i know when and who to give it away too...and who needs to pay and when.

as a favor to a booker......sure....give it up gladly
great looking model who is absolutely "my"type.....sure
local celebrity.....sure......

always exceptions to every rule

thanks

Sean

Aug 09 07 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

studio kgm inc

Nashville, Tennessee, US

the bump couldnt have had better timing. 

a mag i used to do ad trade last with just reapproached me wanting me to shoot some things for them.  i shot odds and ends for them for a couple years thinking it would progress.  i never got any gigs worth putting in a book and commercial clients really dont respond to ads.  so its really just a waste of my time.

thanks for reminding me not to let myself be taken advantage of.

Aug 09 07 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Brandon Vincent

Idaho Falls, Idaho, US

this is fantastic. So I'm waiting for the phone calls....

Aug 09 07 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

glitterguru

Valencia, California, US

Just wanted to say that Sean has EXCELLENT advice! My shoots are "tfp" BUT, I am a stock photographer for the most part, so the model I feel gets a deal... a shoot with me with a full crew and I get a stock release in return, which can be of great value to me later.

If it's not a stock shoot I am $5,000 a day for advertising...

There are times you should turn down paying job as well...

For instance just today I turned down a very large magazine that Kathy Griffin requested me for. They would not give me the the budget to shoot my concept properly, by the time I paid the crew....bare bones editorial rates there was $300 to style and make props, not to mention getting paid myself.... So I told them I was wrong for the spread.

Stay true to your artistic spirit and DO NOT COMPROMISE, even for $$$ or tear sheets!!

XO
GG

Aug 09 07 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

Rosie O'Donnell =  Very well paid and gun to head as incentive.

Cheryl Ladd =  OK, I will pay to photograph her but she will probably need gun to head as incentive.

Aug 09 07 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

You had me until you said, 'NEVER compete on price or rate.'  This is simply not in step with the reality of the day to day industry. 

Estimates and triple-bid projects are standard.  The economic climate has a direct impact on the industry.  To ignor bacis business principles such as competition is like a race car driver ignoring the cars around him.  Unless or until you are taking truely original photographs can you estimate projects with inflexibility in regards to price.  Economics are not the only consideration, but they certainly can steer the results of the creative decisions.

Sometimes it is actually a releif to work on editorial projects that have standard, predetermined rate structures.  That is not to say that one should devalue their work.  Rather it would be smarter to realize and accept that there are many talented photographers out there (especially outside of the web circles) and that this is a business (for some) which follows patterns familiar to other businesses.

Aug 09 07 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Sean Armenta wrote:
when to shoot for free and when to get paid

I thought I read,

"when to shoot for free and when to get laid"

Aug 09 07 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Armenta

Dan Howell wrote:
You had me until you said, 'NEVER compete on price or rate.'  This is simply not in step with the reality of the day to day industry. 

Estimates and triple-bid projects are standard.  The economic climate has a direct impact on the industry.  To ignor bacis business principles such as competition is like a race car driver ignoring the cars around him.  Unless or until you are taking truely original photographs can you estimate projects with inflexibility in regards to price.  Economics are not the only consideration, but they certainly can steer the results of the creative decisions.

Sometimes it is actually a releif to work on editorial projects that have standard, predetermined rate structures.  That is not to say that one should devalue their work.  Rather it would be smarter to realize and accept that there are many talented photographers out there (especially outside of the web circles) and that this is a business (for some) which follows patterns familiar to other businesses.

let's put it this way dan -- what you charge for a job has no bearing on what i would charge for the same job.  simply because i am not competing with you on price.  i charge what i charge based on what it costs for me to stay in business regardless of what my competitors charge.  i charge what the client needs to pay in order for me to produce the work they need.

i think a lot of photographers are too concerned with the "going market rate etc" when in fact, there is no going market rate.  there is no such thing as standardization in our industry period.  this is both a problem and a good thing, and i'm sure you can see why.

Aug 10 07 12:53 am Link

Photographer

Sean Armenta

Madcrow Studios wrote:
My "Official" response to this bit of necromancy: https://modelmayhem.com/p.php?thread_id=158779

and yet again, you reply without truly reading or understanding what the post was about.

how is what i said any sort of negative attack towards hobbyists.  this thread was for those who were wanting to make money out of photography, not shoot as a hobby.

Aug 10 07 12:57 am Link

Photographer

eyelight

Moorpark, California, US

I love it when artists that I admire share their knowledge and experience with those of us that can benefit from it...  Thank you Sean...

Aug 10 07 01:01 am Link

Photographer

P K A S S O

eyelight wrote:
I love it when artists that I admire share their knowledge and experience with those of us that can benefit from it...  Thank you Sean...

Took the words right off of my fingers *translated through keys*

This is the best info i could get right now, structuring my services

Aug 10 07 01:06 am Link

Photographer

Red House Pacific

Chula Vista, California, US

Sean, thank you for the awesome info at the most opportune time for me.

Aug 10 07 01:57 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Sean Armenta wrote:
...i charge what i charge based on what it costs for me to stay in business regardless of what my competitors charge.  i charge what the client needs to pay in order for me to produce the work they need...

I hope you will take a minute to re-examine your statement because it appears to me that you are charging jobs based on your needs not the value of the project.  By the logic of your statement, you would charge the same for an editorial day as you would for a national ad that takes the same time and production expenses.  That is simply not true to how the industry works.  While costs of production (and photographer's overhead) do factor into the equation, your statement is not a reflection of how the majority of the industry works. 

While your post contained useful information about some aspects of pricing and value, a statment like the one above does not provide useful information to a serious issue.  You are free to operate your business as you like, but the majority of professionals I know do not operate in a bubble.

Aug 10 07 10:13 am Link

Photographer

J Christopher Little

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

I've seen several questions recently, so

bump

Aug 27 07 05:06 pm Link