Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Short "High Fashion Runway" Models = "Haubbits"

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

DISCLAIMER:

This is NOT an attack on short models who are successful models in their field of commercial print, which is far greater and more lucrative than high fashion runway, or as glamour or art models.

This is for all those models who are too short to qualify and are NOT known celebrities, who clinch to the belief that they too must be able to walk the big league in high fashion runway modeling, especially the superbowl of 'high fashion anything':

NYC Fashion Week

Three helpful threads about the subject don't awake those models out of their dream world and no matter how much is being explained from industry insider... they keep on chasing their own tail because some dude who shot them and their mama tell them that they belong on a major runway:

Why runway shows need tall models:

Why do short models insist of doing Runway?

Modeling Success: RESEARCH

I propose a new definition, inspired by Junk Fashion and J.R.R. Tolkien:

"A very short model that lives in a fantasy land who believes that she has a birthright to walk the high fashion runway of NYC or the other 4 high fashion centers in the world for the major designers" = "haute couture hobbit" or its shortform:

"haubbit" *

* haubbit© by udor 2007

Jun 11 07 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

UdOR  "haubbit"

LOL

Jun 11 07 09:52 pm Link

Model

LaViolette

Hollywood, Florida, US

UdoR wrote:

This is for all those models who are too short to qualify and are NOT known celebrities, who clinch to the belief that they too must be able to walk the big league in high fashion runway modeling, especially the superbowl of high fashion anything:

NYC Fashion Week

Three helpful threads about the subject don't awake those models out of their dream world and no matter how much is being explained from industry insider... they keep on chasing their own tail because some dude who shot them and their mama tell them that they belong on a major runway:

Why do short models insist of doin Runway?

I propose a new difinition, inspired by Junk Fashion and J.R. Tolkien:

"A very short model that lives in a fantasy land who believes that she has a birthright to walk the high fashion runway of NYC or the other 4 high fashion centers in the world for the major designers" = "haute couture hobbit" or its shortform:

"haubbit"

Love it!

Jun 11 07 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Los Angeles, California, US

UdoR is a kwayzee raubbitt.

bt

Jun 11 07 09:54 pm Link

Model

Elle

Marshfield, Wisconsin, US

UdoR wrote:
"haubbit"

I freaking love you lol

Jun 11 07 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

A Traveler

San Francisco, California, US

clearly you are working with the forces of mordor, UdoR.

Jun 11 07 09:59 pm Link

Model

moniquevanson

Strike! wink

Jun 11 07 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Nick Zantop wrote:
clearly you are working with the forces of mordor, UdoR.

mudor to be specific... wink

Jun 11 07 10:01 pm Link

Model

M*A*C

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

the first modelling job i ever did was runway.. it was for an australian designer called camilla franks, who is up there with leading australian designers such as Morissey and Alex Perry.. i'm 5'5'.. and yes i feel privaledged

Jun 11 07 10:09 pm Link

Model

LaViolette

Hollywood, Florida, US

M*A*C wrote:
the first modelling job i ever did was runway.. it was for an australian designer called camilla franks, who is up there with leading australian designers such as Morissey and Alex Perry.. i'm 5'5'.. and yes i feel privaledged

Well hey - good for you! There are exceptions to every rule. The thing is people don't realize they are exception; they are not the norm

Jun 11 07 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Udo, you don't get it.  smile

Eventually, after all the screams and accusation of hating are more or less out of the way, they decide that they are going to "change the industry".  If the number of people who have said that actually got together and did something productive, the fashion world might be in some small way affected - but they never do, and it never is, and the myth continues, in their heads at least.

So that's the magic factor your formulation does not take into account:  the propensity for industry change caused by the angst of a haubbit.

Jun 11 07 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

Lucas Chapman

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Goldie117 wrote:

Well hey - good for you! There are exceptions to every rule. The thing is people don't realize they are exception; they are not the norm

The basic problems stems from the fact that every girl thinks SHE should be that exception.  Until they begin to realize that they are not, the problems and whining will continue.

Jun 11 07 10:14 pm Link

Model

LaViolette

Hollywood, Florida, US

*Sets out on her quest to destroy the ring. Prepares to toss it into the fire where it was created...Stops suddenly*

Oh hells no! I spent good $ on this white gold band! Fuggetaboutit!!!

Jun 11 07 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

M*A*C wrote:

OH GEEZ here we go again, and i guess you are taller that a haubbit

Jun 11 07 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

TXPhotog wrote:
Udo, you don't get it.  smile

Eventually, after all the screams and accusation of hating are more or less out of the way, they decide that they are going to "change the industry".

Hence we call those folks that live in the green pastures, with the rainbow and the golden pot at the end of it in Modeland "haubbits"... lovingly...  wink

Jun 11 07 10:19 pm Link

Model

moniquevanson

Imajin Studios wrote:

We need to start some kinda club..like..the official anti-haubbitry club or something.
Anyone have any club name ideas? And who wants to become a member? big_smile

Jun 11 07 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

Taverner Photography

Pasadena, California, US

Goldie117 wrote:

...here's a wild exception to the height rule:

https://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i210/Taverner_Photography/ASHLEYPAIGE_7831.jpg

; )

Jun 11 07 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

UdoR wrote:

This is for all those models who are too short to qualify and are NOT known celebrities, who clinch to the belief that they too must be able to walk the big league in high fashion runway modeling, especially the superbowl of 'high fashion anything':

NYC Fashion Week

I propose a new difinition, inspired by Junk Fashion and J.R.R. Tolkien:

"haubbit" *

* haubbit© by UdoR 2007

Jun 11 07 10:24 pm Link

Model

M*A*C

Imajin Studios wrote:

i don't dream of being a runway model, i know my limitations and i don't feel any less adequate in my abilities to do other types of modelling. I am saying.. its wrong to completely discourage shorter models from even trying to enter the doors of high fashion, because some designers are accepting '5'5 and above.. my friend is 5'6 and she has done runway too..  i do understand where some of you are coming from though, the one thing which i very salient about the fashion industry is that height far outweighs your beauty or creativity as a model.. i've seen not-so-pretty models on runways, but its 'form/ physique that counts more than whats on your face or how you express it.. i dont think that will ever change, nor do i care to change it. I'm happy with whatever work i can get

Jun 11 07 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

M*A*C wrote:
i don't dream of being a runway model, i know my limitations and i don't feel any less adequate in my abilities to do other types of modelling. I am saying.. its wrong to completely discourage shorter models from even trying to enter the doors of high fashion, because some designers are accepting '5'5 and above.. my friend is 5'6 and she has done runway too..

Well, Mac;

The Australian market is a regional/minor market... the closest high fashion industry in your region is Tokyo Fashion Week, which ranks last of the five major markets.

You will NOT walk at Fashion Week for any of the major designers in NYC, Milan, Paris, London and Tokyo.

Maybe you'll be able to walk for some really small designer (pun intended) who shows in some club during fashion week... but it's still not for the big league... and that's what's all about...

The fantasy world of haubbits... wink

Jun 11 07 10:32 pm Link

Model

LaViolette

Hollywood, Florida, US

Taverner Photography wrote:

https://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i210/Taverner_Photography/ASHLEYPAIGE_7831.jpg

; )

How tall is she? She sure is lovely

Jun 11 07 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Goldie117 wrote:
*Sets out on her quest to destroy the ring. Prepares to toss it into the fire where it was created...Stops suddenly*

Oh hells no! I spent good $ on this white gold band! Fuggetaboutit!!!

short small LOTR funny, broken to link per Udo's request
(you may have to watch it twice to see the whole thing, but it's worth it)

Jun 11 07 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Oh, and BWAHAHAHAHAA Udo!

(uh, your second link's broken though)

Jun 11 07 10:37 pm Link

Model

LaViolette

Hollywood, Florida, US

SLE Photography wrote:

https://www.slephoto.com/smilies/lol_lotr.gif

Believe me, I've seen all three movies AT LEAST 10 or 15 times, lol. I guess u could say I'm a big fan smile

Jun 11 07 10:38 pm Link

Model

M*A*C

UdoR wrote:

Well, Mac;

The Australian market is a regional/minor market... the closest high fashion industry in your region is Tokyo Fashion Week, which ranks last of the five major markets.

You will NOT walk at Fashion Week for any of the major designers in NYC, Milan, Paris, London and Tokyo.

Maybe you'll be able to walk for some really small designer (pun intended) who shows in some club during fashion week... but it's still not for the big league... and that's what's all about...

The fantasy world of haubbits... wink

like i said, i don't intend to walk runways... i kind of think a 'haubbit' as you put it, has a negative connotation.. we are not scawny little midgets that are a pain for the industry.. i'm sure some people think that.. thats cool, i think some people in the fashion industry do live in fantasy, i call them the narrow-minded, plastic-world lovers.. in their head, its a representational reality

Jun 11 07 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

SLE Photography wrote:
Oh, and BWAHAHAHAHAA Udo!

(uh, your second link's broken though)

Thanks, I fixed it.

BTW... your LoTR thing is almost 800KB and with ever quoting of it... it slows this page down... tremendeously... could you break the link and just link to it?

Jun 11 07 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

M*A*C wrote:
like i said, i don't intend to walk runways... i kind of think a 'haubbit' as you put it, has a negative connotation.. we are not scawny little midgets

Okay... I am civil... would you PLEASE read the disclaimer all the way on top!!!

Thank you for your cooperation!

Yes... it IS a negative connotation and it's not directed at normal short models... it's directed at the diluded... the ones who live in a fantasy world and don't want to wake up.

End of transmission. *bleep*

Jun 11 07 10:45 pm Link

Model

Betsy - Plus Model

North Oaks, Minnesota, US

*loves nerdy LOTR humor*

Photographer

Imajin Studios

M*A*C wrote:

like i said, i don't intend to walk runways... i kind of think a 'haubbit' as you put it, has a negative connotation.. we are not scawny little midgets that are a pain for the industry.. i'm sure some people think that.. thats cool, i think some people in the fashion industry do live in fantasy, i call them the narrow-minded, plastic-world lovers.. in their head, its a representational reality

u know what in NSW you might not be a haubbit, but in BRYANT PARK, definately qualify for one, word of advice you might wanna leave this one alone before someone pulls the Kate Moss Law on you

Photographer

Imajin Studios

; )

is she the designers daughter?

Jun 11 07 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Maki

Tallahassee, Florida, US

SLE Photography wrote:

https://www.slephoto.com/smilies/lol_lotr.gif

you so ROCK

I LOVE ALL THREE LotR MOVIES

Jun 11 07 10:47 pm Link

Model

M*A*C

UdoR wrote:

Okay... I am civil... would you PLEASE read the disclaimer all the way on top!!!

Thank you for your cooperation!

i respect your opinion about short models, maybe it feels a little in-you-face, buts its freedom of speech and i dont see it so much as an attack, as it is honest opinion.. every photographer has a preference for the kind of model they wish to shoot, differences make the world beautiful.. i respect yours

Jun 11 07 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

Sandy Ramirez

Brooklyn, New York, US

UdoR wrote:

NYC Fashion Week

I propose a new difinition, inspired by Junk Fashion and J.R.R. Tolkien:

"haubbit" *

* haubbit© by UdoR 2007

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Haubbits!

Jun 11 07 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Sandy Ramirez

Brooklyn, New York, US

M*A*C wrote:

Haubbit!

Jun 11 07 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

; )

Great proportion on her. smile

Jun 11 07 10:51 pm Link

Model

M*A*C

Imajin Studios wrote:

u know what in NSW you might not be a haubbit, but in BRYANT PARK, definately qualify for one, word of advice you might wanna leave this one alone before someone pulls the Kate Moss Law on you

i've never done any kind of modelling outside of australia, so i'll take your word on bryant park ..  (i've heard of the kate moss thing time n' time again.. wink

Jun 11 07 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

M*A*C wrote:
i respect your opinion about short models, maybe it feels a little in-you-face, buts its freedom of speech and i dont see it so much as an attack, as it is honest opinion.. every photographer has a preference for the kind of model they wish to shoot, differences make the world beautiful.. i respect yours

JEEBUS KRAIST!!!

What's wrong with you woman???

This is not about friggin' regular models who are short and do commercial, art or glamour work... not friggin' at all!

One of my best models and friend is 5'4" and she rocks local runways and is an actress as well...

What is it you don't understand... it's about... ugghhh... fuck it...

I give up... sad

https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/MakingAPointGifs/th_banghead.gif

Jun 11 07 10:52 pm Link

Model

M*A*C

UdoR wrote:

JEEBUS KRAIST!!!

What's wrong with you woman???

This is not about friggin' regular models who are short and do commercial, art or glamour work... not friggin' at all!

What is it you don't understand... it's about... ugghhh... fuck it...

I give up... sad

https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/MakingAPointGifs/th_banghead.gif

you'll give yourself brain damage wink  .. look, i understand what you mean, no hard feelings

Jun 11 07 10:55 pm Link

Model

M*A*C

Sandy Ramirez wrote:

Haubbit!

thank you, i will paint it on my forehead

Jun 11 07 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

UdoR wrote:
Thanks, I fixed it.

BTW... your LoTR thing is almost 800KB and with ever quoting of it... it slows this page down... tremendeously... could you break the link and just link to it?

Whoops, sorry Udo.
It loads fast here, I didn't notice.  I'll break it, but 2 people have already quoted it.

Jun 11 07 10:58 pm Link