Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > What's playing on your CD Player...right now.

Photographer

J Andrescavage Photo

San Francisco, California, US

I'm sitting around eating my takeout Chinese, surfing MM and listening to an album I just picked up on my way home. 
It's "Second Edition", by Public Image Limited.  It was also called "Metal Box" in the UK where it was originally released.  And I've got to say, it's a pretty breathtaking album.  I'm listening for a second straight time now and I'm blown away.  It was recently named the number three album of all time in Britain (after The Stone Roses and Abbey Road), yet it's vitrually unknown here in the US.  If you want an amazing post-punk (1978) album, this and "Uknown Pleasures" are essentials.

Aug 12 05 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

J Andrescavage Photo

Todd Steinwart wrote:
The Jam at the BBC, Disk 1.

AWESOME disc.

Aug 12 05 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

J Andrescavage Photo

Todd Steinwart wrote:
X - Los Angeles/Wild Gift. Current track "Your Phone's Off the Hook, But You're Not"

ANOTHER classic!  Damn, todd!  You're winning some serious brownie points in the McMadCow camp!

Aug 12 05 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

I changed it up tonight - listening to a Debussy/Mahler 2 CD set.

Aug 12 05 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

Todd S.

McMadCow wrote:

ANOTHER classic!  Damn, todd!  You're winning some serious brownie points in the McMadCow camp!

This is weird.. i saw this thread bumped back to the list and wanted to go on the record (haha) that I'm doing classical tonight, but had no idea you were talking 'bout lil ol' me wink

Aug 12 05 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

J Andrescavage Photo

Todd Steinwart wrote:

This is weird.. i saw this thread bumped back to the list and wanted to go on the record (haha) that I'm doing classical tonight, but had no idea you were talking 'bout lil ol' me wink

Heh, yeah, I'm all about the early punk rock essentials.  I love the Jam and X.  I'm going to see Paul Weller next month, in fact. 

Tell you what, tho... this PiL album is blowing my mind.  I thought Joy Division/New Order were the undisputed kings of the post-punk scene, but this is giving them a serious run for the money.  Who would have thought Johnny Rotten had so much depth...!

Aug 12 05 10:38 pm Link

Model

Retta

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I'm listening to Donnie McClurken and the cd from Lion King on Broadway.

Aug 12 05 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Todd S.

McMadCow wrote:
I'm sitting around eating my takeout Chinese, surfing MM and listening to an album I just picked up on my way home. 
It's "Second Edition", by Public Image Limited.  It was also called "Metal Box" in the UK where it was originally released.  And I've got to say, it's a pretty breathtaking album.  I'm listening for a second straight time now and I'm blown away.  It was recently named the number three album of all time in Britain (after The Stone Roses and Abbey Road), yet it's vitrually unknown here in the US.  If you want an amazing post-punk (1978) album, this and "Uknown Pleasures" are essentials.

I don't have The Stone Roses, but I have all the other albums you mention here. Unfortunately "Unknown Pleasures" (which I've always called "The Black Album") and "Closer" (similarly, the "White Album") I still only have on vinyl. I have got the Substance compilation on CD and the BBC set on my computer.

PIL.. wow. I actually have the Metal Box.

Aug 12 05 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Todd S.

McMadCow wrote:
Heh, yeah, I'm all about the early punk rock essentials.  I love the Jam and X.  I'm going to see Paul Weller next month, in fact. 

Tell you what, tho... this PiL album is blowing my mind.  I thought Joy Division/New Order were the undisputed kings of the post-punk scene, but this is giving them a serious run for the money.  Who would have thought Johnny Rotten had so much depth...!

I have a soft spot for Weller, through all his career and sound changes. I even like some of his Style Council stuff. Like Elvis Costello he's changed with the times. Enjoy his show!

Aug 12 05 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Todd S.

McMadCow wrote:

Add The Clash and early Elvis Costello the list and you've got the mainstays of my iPod mini (the one I carry when I work out).

Aug 12 05 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

J Andrescavage Photo

Todd Steinwart wrote:
I don't have The Stone Roses, but I have all the other albums you mention here. Unfortunately "Unknown Pleasures" (which I've always called "The Black Album") and "Closer" (similarly, the "White Album") I still only have on vinyl. I have got the Substance compilation on CD and the BBC set on my computer.

PIL.. wow. I actually have the Metal Box.

Yeah, I'd love to be able to find the original Metal Box packaging.  Oh well, at least I got the same album, albeit under its American title. 

As for some cool factor, however, I do have the original British first pressing of "Blue Monday" in the die-cut cover. 
I saw New Order in Oakland in April and they were absolutely BAD ASS.  They've been playing Joy Division stuff in concert lately.  They hadn't played any of the JD songs since Ian Curtis died in 1980, so that was a real treat.  Peter Hook is the most badass bass player ever, and when they opened their set with "She's Lost Control", it was like a little slice of heaven for me.  They also did their all-plugged-in version of Temptation, which is my fave bass part Hooky ever played.

Aug 12 05 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Todd S.

McMadCow wrote:

Yeah, I'd love to be able to find the original Metal Box packaging.  Oh well, at least I got the same album, albeit under its American title. 

As for some cool factor, however, I do have the original British first pressing of "Blue Monday" in the die-cut cover. 
I saw New Order in Oakland in April and they were absolutely BAD ASS.  They've been playing Joy Division stuff in concert lately.  They hadn't played any of the JD songs since Ian Curtis died in 1980, so that was a real treat.  Peter Hook is the most badass bass player ever, and when they opened their set with "She's Lost Control", it was like a little slice of heaven for me.  They also did their all-plugged-in version of Temptation, which is my fave bass part Hooky ever played.

Check out "Means to an End: The Music of Joy Division" if you get a chance. Great tribute album.

Aug 12 05 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

J Andrescavage Photo

Todd Steinwart wrote:
Check out "Means to an End: The Music of Joy Division" if you get a chance. Great tribute album.

I'll check that out.  Thanks for the tip!

Aug 12 05 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Lesley Brown

Marfa, Texas, US

right now i am listening to neko case.

Aug 13 05 12:05 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Tuesday Rene wrote:
[Sarah Brightman Love Love Love her...
...Her Concerts are Insanely Awesome!

Believe it or not, I've never been to one of her concerts, cuz I can never find anyone that want's go come along! 
https://www.marathonbooks.com/images/books/6306028811-l.jpg

Aug 13 05 12:27 am Link

Photographer

JT Hodges

Austin, Texas, US

all american rejects

cory morrow

ricky calmbach (good guy to go drinkin with)

Aug 13 05 12:57 am Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Y'know, I don't believe that most of these folks are really listening to their whole lists RIGHT NOW...
That's a lot of music to play at once, Mr. Muss-Barnes.

Playing RIGHT NOW, at this very moment, I am listening to...

Nada Surf covering Iggy Pop's "Sick of You", and it's a pretty damn good cover.

And as I was reading everyone else's lists, I was listening to NY Loose's cover of Iggy's "Lust for Life".  ("We Will Fall: The Iggy Pop Tribute" is playing random...)

Ya'll need more Iggy Pop in your diets.

https://grungeriot.no.sapo.pt/iggy%20pop.jpg

Aug 13 05 01:10 am Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Keep it alive...

Aug 13 05 01:25 am Link

Photographer

Todd S.

BlacklistVisual wrote:
Y'know, I don't believe that most of these folks are really listening to their whole lists RIGHT NOW...

Playing RIGHT NOW, at this very moment, I am listening to...

Nada Surf covering Iggy Pop's "Sick of You", and it's a pretty damn good cover.

And as I was reading everyone else's lists, I was listening to NY Loose's cover of Iggy's "Lust for Life".  ("We Will Fall: The Iggy Pop Tribute" is playing random...)

Ya'll need more Iggy Pop in your diets.

I've got "Raw Power." I'm just not listening to it right now.

Aug 13 05 08:45 am Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Another shift: Zuco 103, Tales of High Fever. (contemporary Brazilian electronica)

Aug 13 05 09:33 am Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

SayCheeZ! wrote:

Believe it or not, I've never been to one of her concerts, cuz I can never find anyone that want's go come along! 
https://www.marathonbooks.com/images/books/6306028811-l.jpg

*FLAIL* id goo!! SHes a freakin godess..and to be honest if i could look like anyone shes definitly who id pick. Her vioce is simply entrancing..*pur*

Aug 13 05 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Downin

Salem, Oregon, US

Skinny Puppy -- The Greater Wrong of the Right

Aug 13 05 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

BlacklistVisual wrote:

WRONG! I have a 500-disc CD player and they play simultaneously!

Aug 13 05 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

DumDum Productions

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Lesley Slenning wrote:
right now i am listening to neko case.

Ahh, Neko. Sigh...she did a charity auction awhile back where she sold autographed panties. My kind of girl! Voice like an angel, too.

Aug 14 05 11:04 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

I forgot how long ago I started this thread....OK! 12:11pm 8/14/05 Rob Thomas's "Something to be"

Aug 14 05 11:08 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

What's a cd player?

French surfing music actually but it is on a mixed tape.  :-)

Apr 19 06 09:49 am Link

Model

CristinaLex

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

You  mean whats in my Ipod...

Destiny's Child- Destiny Fulfilled
Miri Bin Ari- Hip Hop Violinist
Anthony Hamilton
Fantasia

Apr 19 06 10:09 am Link