Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Setiquette: What is and is not appropriate?

Makeup Artist

JamesC Lost Creatives

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

One thing I have noticed recently with some artists is they get photos with the talent or use their phone to snap shots with the cast.  Personally I find that a little off. 

Your there to do a job, I don't mind behind the scenes images but I draw the line at mua (my assistants have done this once and then never came on set again with me), asking the stars to pose for photos or sign autographs.

Its not good.

Jul 17 11 04:27 am Link

Makeup Artist

Andrew James Makeup

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

Mary wrote:
If you are the makeup artist working with a stylist or hair stylist.... DO NOT TOUCH ANTHING BUT THE FACE

If you are a wardrobe stylist....leave the hair and makeup alone, nobody wants your opinion unless we ask and we will keep quiet about what we think of your wardrobe selection

Never give an opinion or sweet suggestion about how anyone else might improve on their job performance....unless you are asked and you wont be. smile    the client hired each person for their style  and expertise, they could have saved money and just hired the one "know it al"l but they didn't....if they wanted your opinion on anything other then  what they hired you for they would have hired you in that job as well. 

I understand it's hard to keep your mouth shut about what everyone else is doing....the only exception to this is on a test where you are not getting paid....one team member strays from the game plan....than its time to speak up because all you are getting from the shoot is photos and a deal is a deal....

I love this, you always say the best thing

Also bumping cause this is a great thread

Apr 26 12 04:11 am Link

Makeup Artist

jmorrismua

Chicago, Illinois, US

I'm reading this in preparation for a job that I have on Sunday. There is such amazing advice in this thread!

Mar 08 13 03:15 am Link

Photographer

JaneyGarnet

Portland, Oregon, US

Thanks for bumping this great thread!

I'd like to add a few, from the perspective of a photographer who just started working with MUAs.

1. Don't try to sell me skin care.  Keep your other job at your other job.

2. Let me know how long you expect the makeup to take. If I ask you for an estimate, give me an estimate-- don't just mutter something about the model being late.

3. Keep in mind that you are part of a team, and a good final result depends on all parts of the team.  If your makeup job takes so long that we lose the light, the pictures aren't going to make your work look good.

Mar 08 13 09:00 am Link