Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Setiquette: What is and is not appropriate?

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Don't make the talent cry.  (this goes for the entire crew, clients on set, etc.)

Let those hired for their expertise do THEIR job.  You do yours.

When in doubt, say nothing.

Mar 06 10 04:30 am Link

Photographer

Liquid Shutter

Tempe, Arizona, US

OK, another one. If you are working in a small hotel room, go to the bathroom BEFORE you get there!

I have a HS (my sister, whom is an AMAZING artist) who forgot to take her ADD meds that day. (never a good thing sad ) She comes out of the bathroom and announces, "Don't go in there for at least 30 min!" YUCK! I can not believe it happened! I apologized to the model for her behavior, but I was so embarrased! It hmade me look bad.

Mar 06 10 05:29 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

If you are the makeup artist working with a stylist or hair stylist.... DO NOT TOUCH ANTHING BUT THE FACE

If you are a wardrobe stylist....leave the hair and makeup alone, nobody wants your opinion unless we ask and we will keep quiet about what we think of your wardrobe selection

Never give an opinion or sweet suggestion about how anyone else might improve on their job performance....unless you are asked and you wont be. smile    the client hired each person for their style  and expertise, they could have saved money and just hired the one "know it al"l but they didn't....if they wanted your opinion on anything other then  what they hired you for they would have hired you in that job as well. 

I understand it's hard to keep your mouth shut about what everyone else is doing....the only exception to this is on a test where you are not getting paid....one team member strays from the game plan....than its time to speak up because all you are getting from the shoot is photos and a deal is a deal....

Mar 06 10 08:11 am Link

Body Painter

Mythical Ink

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I know it probably goes without saying but if you're working on a shoot with nudity, no appreciative comments about people's anatomy and keep your eyes on your work.

I deal with quite a few naked or nearly naked people and I find that it's very important to gauge their comfort levels and follow their lead- some model's are used to being naked on shoots and you just chat and do your stuff like normal, others it's a new experience for them and they can be quite nervous so I find talking about every step before you do it helps and ask them about what they are and aren't comfortable with. For implied shoots I bring various covering options (pasties for both upstairs and down) with me, so if the talent get's cold feet there are other options rather than canceling the shoot.

Hmm, what else.

Just generally I'd say lots of great advice in this thread. I don't know if someone has already said it but roll on deodorant is great- it won't hang in the air and irritate people's allergies and you can apply through the day so you don't worry about the 'impression' you are making.

long nails can hinder you and scratching the talent is never good.

Mar 06 10 10:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Davis W

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

"If you are working in a small hotel room, go to the bathroom BEFORE you get there! "

Lawls..been there done that....moving on..

Things I say to myself when i go on set;

Dont talk too loud. Theres often last minute stuff going on and sometimes film rolling. Nothing worse than a pissed off sound guy. Hes grumpy enough already from holding that boom since 7 AM.

Get in good with the costumer ASAP. Help them out if they ask. Somehow a good relationship with costuming bids good tidings.

Bring some hard candies and a fleece blanket for the models of its an outdoor editorial. Everyone seems like "Love Hearts", its a guilty sin for a shoot. Oh, and dont forget straws so your talent can drink and not f up the lipstick.

I try not to watch a shoot. I give the photographer space. Of course on film set its different, I am usually in the back room cleaning gelatin off stuff and building prosthetics...>not a key.

Mar 06 10 11:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

oh, and.... soft soled shoes...the click clack of heels or hard soles is disruptive on set...big time...

Mar 06 10 11:49 pm Link

Model

Girloflowers

would it be really bad to wear like, sneakers on set? is it better to wear black work shoe type of things?

Mar 07 10 12:25 am Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

i wear slip on sneaks... or clogs that are rubber soled..and socks...just in case i need to take off my shoes... i know a lot of girls wear heels and that's ok..just on a close set...boots and heels can be a huge distract.

Girloflowers wrote:
would it be really bad to wear like, sneakers on set? is it better to wear black work shoe type of things?

Mar 07 10 02:55 am Link

Makeup Artist

courthart

Los Angeles, California, US

LisaJohnson wrote:
oh, and.... soft soled shoes...the click clack of heels or hard soles is disruptive on set...big time...

ah yes, good one!

I dont know if anyone has mentioned kids yet. I am very aware of the parents when I am working with kids. Maybe its just because I am a parent and hyper aware.  I always introduce myself and chat for a min to make everyone comfortable.....if I have to do lotion on legs or something I try* to do that with the gaurdian there..... smile

Mar 07 10 11:18 am Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

SMART.  underage can be problematic if not careful!  oy.

courtney hart wrote:

ah yes, good one!

I dont know if anyone has mentioned kids yet. I am very aware of the parents when I am working with kids. Maybe its just because I am a parent and hyper aware.  I always introduce myself and chat for a min to make everyone comfortable.....if I have to do lotion on legs or something I try* to do that with the gaurdian there..... smile

Mar 07 10 11:37 am Link

Makeup Artist

courthart

yeah, get in good with parents and another one a friend taught me was wives/girlfriends of male talent. smile

Mar 07 10 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

Henri3

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Julian Wilde Studio wrote:
Rule Number One: Don't talk about other photogs in front of the photog your working with.

First of all, if you speak glowingly about other photogs--he'll hate you. And if you diss the other guys--he'll think your a hater.  You just can't win with that one. ;-)

Rule Number Two:  Feel free to openly idolize the photog/genius your working with.  You can't go wrong with that and chances are he'll appreciate your good taste.

Get those two right and your well on your way!  -JULIAN  big_smile

Yes, the stylist can and does shape a models attitude ..... so please heed this advice .... at least the 2nd point ... I really appreciate a positive attitude that gets a model pumped for the shoot and boosts her self confidence- self image

Mar 07 10 01:46 pm Link

Model

Girloflowers

LisaJohnson wrote:
i wear slip on sneaks... or clogs that are rubber soled..and socks...just in case i need to take off my shoes... i know a lot of girls wear heels and that's ok..just on a close set...boots and heels can be a huge distract.

thanks a ton smile
we have a brand here that does these slip on sneakers that have really squishy supportive insoles, and mesh on the sides so your feet can breathe. They're not very pretty but they're black and will go with everything and won't click on the ground, so I think I'll grab a pair of those big_smile

Mar 07 10 08:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Davis W

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

These are my signature on set shoes;

http://www.shoesontheweb.com/store/prod … ber=M58610

Oh yeh. I get alot of complements on them. I swear Andy Warhol is one of the toons depicted on them.

Comfy ..oh yeh.

Mar 07 10 08:40 pm Link

Model

Girloflowers

ahaha awesome big_smile

these are the ones i want:
http://www.homyped.com.au/product_activ … teffi.html

Mar 07 10 08:48 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Davis W

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

ooo. those are cute. i swear Dorothy had a pair of those on in Wizard of Oz..before she scored the Rubies...

Mar 07 10 08:57 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Leza1121

New York, New York, US

I love to wear clogs or sneakers. 

My clogs come from here http://www.sanitaclogs.com/women/origin … tml?list=2

I have the patent leather model and this one as well:

http://content.nordstrom.com/ImageGalle … 655885.jpg

Mar 09 10 09:35 am Link

Makeup Artist

Alexandra Bisson

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Bump! Love this thread. smile

Jun 01 10 11:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Heather Toler

Richmond, Virginia, US

Oh my wow! I just had a setiquette experience from heck this past weekend. I was asked to come in for a shoot, do makeup and that's it. When the client arrived I introduced myself and let her know I'm really relaxed and look forward to working with her. She was super-gracious and said she was excited. So I start her application we chat up music, and her weekend of events. I finished her makeup and hair was the next place for her. The stylist was a total biotch! Super jealous and made her feel like crap, she keep discussing her daughter who got signed to a big agency in NY and how much a job was paying her and etc. She made the talent feel really crummy. Needless to say I picked up on this come the second half of the shoot when the stylist, who was supposedly also was doing wardrobe wouldn't pay attention to the clients needs or questions. I had to step in, dress the client, after all this she then refuses to do the persons hair.....
I about pee'd my pants and felt horrible. The talent went into the rest room to compose herself. I knocked on the door to bring her something she left and apologized. I then spoke to the pa and the photographer, without the talent present, and explained what happened. After all is said and done the talent requested me for the second day of shooting, and the hairstylist got her ass handed to her by the photog and the agency.

My 0.02 are never run your mouth on set, to the client about how much you dislike working with them. Have some tact please. Also be sensitive to mood of your client. The talent told both the agency and photog that had i not been there she'd have left the shoot.

Nov 25 10 06:36 am Link

Makeup Artist

TheMakeupMan

Here s a good piece of advice.  As MuA s ans Hs people love to confide / share with us their life   When an actor / model/ director does have a fight with their spouse boyfriend girlfriend ect NEVER take a side , never feed into them by agreeing. Oh yeah he is a jerk ect ect.  The chances are is they will makeup and you will look liker a jerk for trashing who they are bicthing about. Stay neutral......I say stuff like :   I'm so sorry you r going thru this.  Never get involved in any way

Nov 25 10 07:30 am Link

Makeup Artist

beauty

Akhiok, Alaska, US

I know this is the bleedin' obvious, but I dont think it has been said.

Never, never turn up on a job with a dirty kit. 
This was the first thing I was taught and I have not forgotten.

I was told you can get kicked off set for this.

Nov 25 10 07:52 am Link

Makeup Artist

Chelsea Dutchak

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Don't tell people in other departments how to do their job.  Even innocent suggestions can really piss people off.

Nov 25 10 10:58 am Link

Makeup Artist

ClaireShipman

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

This is a great thread with some brilliant advice.

I second the smelly feet, I worked with a hair stylsit recently that didnt have to take off her shoes you could smell her feet when she stood next to you, very unpleasant :S

I wonder how people handle 'diva's' on set? I always go in with a positive and helpful attitude but sometimes when the model / talent are unmanageable its hard to stay in a positive mood. Im the type of person that just swallows my tongue and keeps quiet but sometimes this just doesnt work, as more often than not I have found models have just taken advantage of their time with me to text, eat crisps etc I just wonder how people deal with these situations without creating an atmoshpere with a model you have to work with for the next 3 days?

Nov 25 10 11:55 am Link

Makeup Artist

Chelsea Dutchak

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Also...always watch your language, especially if there are children on set.  I know someone who was on set for a kids show, and another artist kept swearing despite being told countless times to watch her mouth around the kids.  Needless to say, they didn't bring her back.

Nov 25 10 12:55 pm Link

Makeup Artist

SCHOLASTIC MAKEUP

Atlanta, Georgia, US

beauty spot productions wrote:
I know this is the bleedin' obvious, but I dont think it has been said.

Never, never turn up on a job with a dirty kit. 
This was the first thing I was taught and I have not forgotten.

+1
i notice w/ past muas i have worked w/ their equip is quite scary..foundation, powder & glitter all over inside and outside the makeup case or dirty brushes...etc...scares me to think what is living in the equip

Nov 26 10 04:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

SCHOLASTIC MAKEUP

Atlanta, Georgia, US

ClaireShipman wrote:
This is a great thread with some brilliant advice.

I wonder how people handle 'diva's' on set? I always go in with a positive and helpful attitude but sometimes when the model / talent are unmanageable its hard to stay in a positive mood. Im the type of person that just swallows my tongue and keeps quiet but sometimes this just doesnt work, as more often than not I have found models have just taken advantage of their time with me to text, eat crisps etc I just wonder how people deal with these situations without creating an atmoshpere with a model you have to work with for the next 3 days?

i will leave it to photographer to take care of....but believe me there are some times where you feel your evil third eye wants to come out..lol

Nov 26 10 04:49 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

TheMakeupman wrote:
Here s a good piece of advice.  As MuA s ans Hs people love to confide / share with us their life   When an actor / model/ director does have a fight with their spouse boyfriend girlfriend ect NEVER take a side , never feed into them by agreeing. Oh yeah he is a jerk ect ect.  The chances are is they will makeup and you will look liker a jerk for trashing who they are bicthing about. Stay neutral......I say stuff like :   I'm so sorry you r going thru this.  Never get involved in any way

Yes.... and this is great advice in life, not just on the set....  As much as your close friends and relatives  want you to agree with them about just how bad their x is...  they may get back together one day.... that leaves you in an awkward place, once you have  agreed that the x was in fact the spawn of Satan

Nov 26 10 07:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Bethany Ruck Makeup

TheMakeupman wrote:

I worked with a big name actress this summer who would come in every morning talking about the daily celebrity gossip stories. "Can you believe this stuff about Mel Gibson..." etc. I tried to stay as opinion free as possible. When she kept bringing up celebrity gossip I assumed that she was using it as a test to see if we would talk about her life to everyone. If we were willing to talk about Angelina Jolie's woes why would we keep our mouth shut about her. So every day for a month I bit my tongue for that hour in the makeup chair and let the rest of the crew share their opions on the latest people magazine post.

Nov 26 10 07:58 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Bradley Moss

Seattle, Washington, US

When it comes to conversation I have an acronym that I remember that goes "FORM" it stands for Family, Occupation, Recreation and Message. It's's the four general subjects of things that are appropriate for conversation between you and the models as well as other people on set. When there is nothing to talk about I typically start "So do you have family in the area?" then "What got you started in modeling?" (you can replace modeling for anything), the next question would be "So what do you like to do in your spare time?" and finally message can be just about anything inspirational or directly related to what you are doing such as "I am currently blending your shadow to create this effect" or "Once we're done here you're going to head up to the set".

As far as magazines go I like to keep a few staples around such as Elle, Vogue, or Bazaar. I would never have a gossip rag like OK or People, as those publications might be fine to some people they are offensive to others and are not very industry related or professional.

Name dropping really is classless. Not just because it makes you seem insecure but because anybody with more then a drop of stardom places a high value on anonymity and for you to bring up another celebrity or whomever you may have worked with/for then you are showing the person in your chair that you have the same lack of regard for their name. I've seen many jobs lost over Tweeting/Facebooking the wrong person's name and at the end of the day I'm always surprised at how small the world is so I can easily imagine word of mouth being just as bad.

I typically don't ask for pictures. If it's someone I regularly work with then I might ask for photos for my portfolio or something and I might get a picture with them that way. Everyone has a different comfortability level and sometimes it's good to just ask yourself "Would it be weird if I treated a normal person this way?".

Accept direction. At the end of the day, it isn't YOUR shoot so don't act like it is. If you know that you have good ideas then be energetic, enthusiastic, and bring them to the table. If things don't go the way you want then remember that enthusiasm and try to fulfill the other person's vision with as much grace and skill as possible because new challenges are just opportunities for you to grow.

Nov 27 10 06:04 am Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty by Natalie

New York, New York, US

There's nothing wrong with being a "Yes Man" on set. 

Some things are not up for discussion, so just do what's asked of you.

Nov 27 10 07:05 am Link

Makeup Artist

Heather Toler

Richmond, Virginia, US

Natalie Cardona wrote:
There's nothing wrong with being a "Yes Man" on set. 

Some things are not up for discussion, so just do what's asked of you.

I believe that this tip is what helps longevity in careers. Its so easy to inform folks thats not in my job descriptions, but the truth is I have gotten more gigs and better pay because nothing is above me. You need me to help steam a garmet, ok. You need me to help ensure that the talent is on time to set, fine.
Be workable.

Nov 27 10 07:33 am Link

Makeup Artist

Cassie Lyons MUAH

on a similar note....how do those of you with super fantastical setiquette handle when others are the ones being super unprofessional on set?

i just wrapped a music video last night with an ungodly horrible experience. i glanced over to a far corner of the room at the end of the day to find the hair guy using my brushes and doing makeup on the back-up dancers!!! He grabbed a brush from right in front of me a bit later and said he wanted to highlight and contour the main talent. I said "no, no, no you are kinda freaking me out right now," and that was it. I stewed all night on this because I really wanted to snap and call him out on his unprofessionalism, hair gel all over the singers cheeks, name dropping, etc.

I even had the choreographer (and 5 other people including a lighting tech) TRY to boss me around!

All in all I kept my mouth shut. I'm not one to be teaching life lessons here so I think I did the right thing......but daaaaaaang, I'm still kinda mad at myself for not standing up a bit more.

Any thoughts?

Nov 28 10 11:02 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Cassie Lyons MUAH wrote:
on a similar note....how do those of you with super fantastical setiquette handle when others are the ones being super unprofessional on set?

i just wrapped a music video last night with an ungodly horrible experience. i glanced over to a far corner of the room at the end of the day to find the hair guy using my brushes and doing makeup on the back-up dancers!!! He grabbed a brush from right in front of me a bit later and said he wanted to highlight and contour the main talent. I said "no, no, no you are kinda freaking me out right now," and that was it. I stewed all night on this because I really wanted to snap and call him out on his unprofessionalism, hair gel all over the singers cheeks, name dropping, etc.

I even had the choreographer (and 5 other people including a lighting tech) TRY to boss me around!

All in all I kept my mouth shut. I'm not one to be teaching life lessons here so I think I did the right thing......but daaaaaaang, I'm still kinda mad at myself for not standing up a bit more.

Any thoughts?

I stay away from these people on set as if they had a bomb attached to their belts....  If I get too close I get angry.  If they start touching something I am responsible for I wait until they are done, as soon as they move out of the way I jump in and change it back to the way I want it...I try not to get into a pissing match....  If whatever they have done is ok and doesn't ruin the shot I just leave it alone because peace on set makes the shoot easier and faster and frankly I just don't want to spend more time at a shoot than I have to.  I've learned over the years to set me ego aside on the shoot and make the goal making the client happy and getting great shots.

If someone told me they wanted to highlight and contour the talent I would be shocked....I have yet to run across anyone this bold.  I of course wouldn't allow it.

Nov 28 10 11:59 am Link

Makeup Artist

beauty

Akhiok, Alaska, US

Nately Moss wrote:
When it comes to conversation I have an acronym that I remember that goes "FORM" it stands for Family, Occupation, Recreation and Message. It's's the four general subjects of things that are appropriate for conversation between you and the models as well as other people on set. When there is nothing to talk about I typically start "So do you have family in the area?" then "What got you started in modeling?" (you can replace modeling for anything), the next question would be "So what do you like to do in your spare time?" and finally message can be just about anything inspirational or directly related to what you are doing such as "I am currently blending your shadow to create this effect" or "Once we're done here you're going to head up to the set"..

I try not to get personal with people, and never ask them questions and especially about family and friends unless they bring it up.
I have herd about the horrific murder of a womens husband,  the physical abuse of a partner, the death of a close relative, the divorce and the missing boyfriend  . I dont think these are good thoughts to have on the day.

I will wait till they bring up a subject or if not I will say something stupid about myself and see where it goes, or talk about the news on the front page of the paper or the arts section.

Nov 28 10 12:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BrianaDanielle

bump.

Jan 30 11 11:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

BrianaDanielle wrote:
bump.

Jan 30 11 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

Philip R

Agoura Hills, California, US

Having spent decades on sets, Make-up artist and Hair Dressers have to understand that they are surrogate Psychiatrists for talent.  You have a responsibility to make the talent look good and to listen.  Allow them to vent and don't give too much advice.  It is more in the vein of "So how do you feel about that?"

And don't share any information with anyone else.

Jan 30 11 11:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BrianaDanielle

Mary wrote:

I take camera phone shots of the shoot (behind the scenes) at times but I do it very quietly, in the back, no flash, no noise and not in front of people... I wouldn't take pictures with people posing or in my chair, it might look unprofessional

Okay I feel better, this is how I did it. LOL. thanks mary!

Jan 30 11 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

Philip R

Agoura Hills, California, US

You should be taking a picture of the finished look so that you can match this if pickups are needed at a later time.

Jan 30 11 11:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jacklyn jackman

Las Cruces, New Mexico, US

Just read this and post and wanted to add:

Limited jewelry ..Noisy bracelets that slide up and down your arm, bulky rings, noisy earrings.

Another thing...your nails!

Clean fingernails, nothing worse than seeing some dirty nails that have been chipped and tortured.

Jul 16 11 11:47 am Link