Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > What's your stance?

Makeup Artist

Heather Schumer

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Chris Milone wrote:
I almost always stand directly in front of my subject. and i have a bad habbit of holding to many brushes in my hands and I always end up holding one in my mouth. And wouldnt you know it i was doing a local fashion show and the local newspaper came and interviewed me and took pictures and the picture they chose of me I'm leaning back with a brush in my mouth! and the way it looks in the photo it looks as if i forgot to put my dentures in lolol terrible. Ill see how it scan then ill post it it's pritty funny. I also have a makeup face i think we all do i get really concentrated and intense then when i'm done with a particular feature and i like it, I nod. heres some other pics of mee working http://makeupguyny.blogspot.com/2007/05 … ction.html

LOL.
Completely OT, but where from SI are you?
I'm from the South Shore, Annadale/Woodrow.

Jul 29 07 03:48 am Link

Makeup Artist

Heather Schumer

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I tend to stand more to the side of the model, especially when doing cream/cake/liquid liner. I try not to touch their face or hair very much, though.

Jul 29 07 03:50 am Link

Makeup Artist

CMMakeup

New York, New York, US

HS - The Makeup Maven wrote:

LOL.
Completely OT, but where from SI are you?
I'm from the South Shore, Annadale/Woodrow.

South shore as well, Huguenot ... ::twilightzone theme::

Jul 29 07 12:49 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

bump

Sep 06 07 08:15 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Stephanie Elise

Beverly Hills, California, US

Roshar wrote:
I always lean my head to the side when I step back to look at what Ive done.
As if its really gonna look that different if I dont tilt my head.
I dont know why I do this.
At the end of the day my neck is always in pain.

OOH!
And I always hold my breath when Im doing the makeup!
I step back and deeply exhale and the model thinks its an exhale of stress.
...LOL

Nope- just holding my breath for some strange reason.

LOL! I swear i thought I was the only one who did these things! I do too! I get in "the zone" and don't see or hear anything else in the room.

Sep 06 07 10:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Bethany Ruck Makeup

I've been noticing that I bite my lips when I'm doing makeup. After a busy week my lips are a total mess.

Apr 07 10 08:02 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Nightshade Beauty

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Michelle Heffner wrote:
I like a nice counter height chair for makeup.  And I always find myself holding my breath and then getting hiccups.  I think I am trying not to breathe on them...

~Michelle

I hold my breath too.
I've noticed in photos that I look SUPER focused when I apply lashes...which is a little disconcerting...and funny.
I'm already too tall, so I spend most of my time bent over applying makeup (everyone's shorter than me!)...which is ok, but my lower back is suffering a little.
Usually I'm feet wide apart and with my back bent flat.  I bet it all looks hilarious.

Apr 07 10 08:20 pm Link

Model

Suicidebunny

Those "shape up" shoes are awesome when you have to be on your feet for many hours.

Apr 07 10 08:55 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MUA Amy Elizabeth

Miami, Florida, US

LisaJohnson wrote:
I get up so close when doing eyes sometimes it's unnerving ... eyeball to eyeball.  Another thing I do is hold up the foundation palette, shut one eye and pick one thru the palette...funny thing is...I'm usually dead right on the first pick!  I love those cinema secrets palettes.

This made me laugh so hard. I do this when I'm applying eyelashes. I get reeeeeeally close and I'm thinking, "I wonder if she thinks this is awkward..." 'cause I don't even think about it at the time. I also hold my breath when I'm working on the lips or eyes. I press my pinky on their cheek before I put the brush to their eyelid, because I notice they sometimes twitch if you do that.

When I stand back to look, I get a srs face and tilt my head from side to side. They usually giggle when I do this.

Apr 07 10 09:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Aeni

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I do the tripod, the hand on hip, getting close up on lashes, and not breathing. I have to remind myself to breath not just b/c it's important to do so but also to release some of the tension when doing meticulous work.  You work better that way.

I rarely sit but I do when I do tattoos.  Then I'm steady and the model's steady.

Apr 07 10 09:03 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Davis W

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I use a modified karate stance, one leg in front of the other, sort of an upright lunge position. This keeps the back straight and i can drop my center if I need to get lower. Natural positions result in terrible mid back pain. Of course its hard to hold the right position. Doing makeup is bad bad for the back and neck. So I used a modified martial arts position after months of pain. Works well.

What happens too is I zone out, and stop being analytical. Its all about feeling the gesture and the flow of the face. Then I step back about 8 to 10 feet away and turn away from the client. Then I quickly turn around and ask myself...would this person grab and hold my attention if I saw her walk into the room. If I am not fascinated, to the point that I cannot stop looking, its a fail. I repeat it again and if its not right, I get to a still place in myself and eliminate thought. I feel where the gesture needs to be. Small correction by small correction, I find it and wont stop til its right.

The Japanese say...choose a small door and enter deeply. 4 strokes of the brush is far too many, and 2 strokes, far too few. The makeup is either absolutely effective or not at all. One way. Zen makeup. Let the arrow release on its own. Dont do the makeup, let the makeup happen on its own. Time stops, there is no longer me and the model, we are one being. Thats where the harmony is.

Apr 07 10 09:14 pm Link

Makeup Artist

M M I

New York, New York, US

Ha ha ha

I totally get makeup face. I look like I'm solving the worlds most complicated math problem when I'm focused. Do not taunt happy fun ball.

Also, I'm blind, so for detail work I get right up in there and have to look over the top of my glasses... which just looks matronly.

I hold my breath too... and do the crooked head thing..

The best though, is that I do the T Rex arm with my free hand. You know the one, the " I have a big head, and little armsssss"... I look like those old punching nun puppets. It's really ridiculous, and usually when people are taking pictures. Damn whoever started this behind the scenes nonsense. They always catch me looking like death on a stick.

Apr 07 10 09:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MUA Amy Elizabeth

Miami, Florida, US

Apr 07 10 09:48 pm Link

Makeup Artist

SarahKay

Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia

I tend to kneel alot, especially when doing eyes. Otherwise I normally have to bend over for everything else.

Apr 08 10 12:29 am Link

Makeup Artist

LizW_Makeup

Boston, Massachusetts, US

M M I wrote:
Ha ha ha

I totally get makeup face. I look like I'm solving the worlds most complicated math problem when I'm focused. Do not taunt happy fun ball.

Also, I'm blind, so for detail work I get right up in there and have to look over the top of my glasses... which just looks matronly.

I hold my breath too... and do the crooked head thing..

The best though, is that I do the T Rex arm with my free hand. You know the one, the " I have a big head, and little armsssss"... I look like those old punching nun puppets. It's really ridiculous, and usually when people are taking pictures. Damn whoever started this behind the scenes nonsense. They always catch me looking like death on a stick.

This made me LOL so hard. I do a lot of that too: scrunched up concentrating face, holding my breath occasionally (usually with eye/lip liner or false lash application), doing random shit with my other hand and/or steadying myself on the back of the model's chair.

Oh, and tilting my head at a 90 degree angle for some reason:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v191/lizsybarite/Shoots/l_37b28855bcf9418dacafe903ea3be8d1.jpg

Apr 08 10 04:17 am Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

my colleague doing lips…
https://www.artistryimage.com/images/Reston_Studio_MUA.jpg
totally focused…

Apr 08 10 05:05 am Link

Makeup Artist

Asha - Makeup Artist

Anderson, Alabama, US

haha I'm glad I'm not alone in looking at the model funny!

I like to stand in front of them and slightly to the left (so my right hand is right in front of their face, makes it easier to reach all the way around), and I try to keep my feet about shoulder width apart. Tall chairs are a must (I'm 5'9) because I like their face to be about chin level. Somehow this makes applying the makeup easier, if they're in a short chair, and I have no other options, I'm kneeling or sitting at their height. I honestly don't know what I do with my left hand when it's not holding my palette... I guess I'll have to pay more attention!

I also:

tilt my head completely to the side when doing lips or eyeliner

hold my breath if I'm closer than 12 inches from their face... which can be often.

Squint funny if I'm looking that my blending is correct

And I seem to clench my jaw and frown a little on details I'm concentrating extra hard on.  Like maybe if I tense up, everything will go perfectly.  Gotta relax!

Apr 08 10 05:49 am Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Jean Myers

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Chris Milone wrote:
I almost always stand directly in front of my subject. and i have a bad habbit of holding to many brushes in my hands and I always end up holding one in my mouth. And wouldnt you know it i was doing a local fashion show and the local newspaper came and interviewed me and took pictures and the picture they chose of me I'm leaning back with a brush in my mouth! and the way it looks in the photo it looks as if i forgot to put my dentures in lolol terrible. Ill see how it scan then ill post it it's pritty funny. I also have a makeup face i think we all do i get really concentrated and intense then when i'm done with a particular feature and i like it, I nod. heres some other pics of mee working http://makeupguyny.blogspot.com/2007/05 … ction.html

I'm pretty similar to you except the brush in the mouth thing...I don't do that lol.  But the quicker I start working the more brushes I start accumulating in my left hand lol.  I tend to look very serious and concentrated while I'm working...again esp. if I'm going quick.  Plus I'll do this thing where when I'm getting close to done I take a few steps back look very intensely at the model/talent and then go and do one or two last touch ups.  Sometimes when I'm working on regular ppl they comment on how serious or concentrated I look...truth is it's not even like I'm looking at them...I'm looking beyond them and just at the makeup or something lol.

Apr 08 10 08:09 am Link

Makeup Artist

Vanessa Dawn- Jhaesayte

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm always touching the model it seems.

First I'm 5'2", and I like the model's face to be in line with mine. Or a few inches lower than mine, it all depends. If I get a model who always seems to tilt her head down, I will raise her to be higher than me. Other times I have girls that always tild their heads up, so I lower them so I can loom over them.

I'm always touching the model's face as well so she knows where the brush is going before it touches her. If her eyes are closed, for example, I will move my hand to the eye I will be working on and pull on her eyebrow a little with my thumb before putting on eyeshadow. that way she never flinches and gets surprised. When doing lips, I prop my brush hand by placing my baby finger on her chin or cheek. Keeps me steady. Occasionally I've had to put my other hand on her shoulder or the back of her head, but I reserve that for the girls that always seems to be swaying in their chair even when standing still. Some girls just seem to wobble more than others, and it's totally subconscious. So that keeps them a bit steady. Of course, I will always let them know first.

I usually stand to one side of them, so I'm always traveling back and forth around their legs, one side, then the other, then back to the first side. It's like a workout!

Apr 08 10 12:33 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Vanessa Dawn- Jhaesayte

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

DavisWebb wrote:
The Japanese say...choose a small door and enter deeply. 4 strokes of the brush is far too many, and 2 strokes, far too few. The makeup is either absolutely effective or not at all. One way. Zen makeup. Let the arrow release on its own. Dont do the makeup, let the makeup happen on its own. Time stops, there is no longer me and the model, we are one being. Thats where the harmony is.

That happened to me last night. big_smile

Apr 08 10 12:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Vanessa Dawn- Jhaesayte

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

ArtistryImage wrote:
my colleague doing lips…
https://www.artistryimage.com/images/Reston_Studio_MUA.jpg
totally focused…

Wow, I dunno what it is but this pic, for me, is artsy-erotic in the best way! It's like... what I would expect guys to think of when I say I'm a makeup artist and I get to work on beautiful models all day. BUAHahahah! So lovely and feminine!

Apr 08 10 12:37 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Jhasesayte...
thank you so much for your very kind words...
they are greatly appreciated...

btw... love your avatar... totally amazing…

Apr 08 10 01:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Deviant Beauty Services

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I'm rather short, so I find myself in akward positions quite frequently.

I ussually stand on my toes, left hand behind my back or on my hip and leaning forward a bit to keep my balance. When blending eyeshadow, sometimes I hold the clients chin in my left hand, tilting their face upwards (not that this makes a difference in the blending...). On occasion when I'm much shorter then the model/client in the chair, I hold the top of thier had downwards with my left hand. My instructor once laughed at me ans said it was 'cute'....

smile

Oct 16 10 06:43 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Nightshade Beauty

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

In Focus Makeup Art wrote:
When I'm applying makeup I've noticed I stand funny. I'm not sure if it's for balance or what. But I always have one hand on left hip (hip jutting out)  or on the backside of the models head.
Just wondering what your stance is and if you have any weird quirks during your application process?

LOL

I'm way taller than most of my models, so I always end up bent over or hunched up.
I usually wear a corset or waist cinched to keep my back in line...ugh

From the photos I've seen, y'know when you look at photos of giraffes drinking?  well that's me doing makeup.
Feet wide apart, bent right over.  SO horrifying to see on film.  There's a reason I don't have many photos of myself applying makeup.
Even worse to see one of me applying lashes...SO intense.
LOL

Oct 16 10 07:57 pm Link

Makeup Artist

E E S

It depends on the chair- tall director's chair-I'll do the giraffe drinking stance (without the bending), barber's chair or low director's chair- the Elvis. I don't like bending over and I do do the occasional hand on hip.

What I find I do after I finish the eyes or lips is that I'll tilt my head from side to side like a dog that hears something interesting. Somehow, the look that I'll give will be so that the talent will look a little concerned or panic and ask, "What? What? Is something wrong?" and I'll have to re-assure them that I'm critiquing my work and not their face.

Maybe I'm frowning and squinting? I dunno.

Oct 17 10 08:00 am Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

I don't have a strange stance...my work requires me to be all over the place. Half the time I'm on my knees, or contorting strangely to do a design on the top of the shoulders or something.

My biggest challenge though, is my expression. I get to where I'm concentrating very fully and my eyes are very focused and I get slack jawed. So basically, I don't know how many photos are out there in the world of me standing and staring at a llamas chest, or kneeling and gazing at her behind or pelvic region with a look that is akin to mindless, open mouthed, RAPTURE!

Which of course, is far from the truth for this happily married and very professional man.

While the photos look like I am in a trance of ecstasy contemplating the wondrousness of womanhood...I am much more likely thinking... "DAMN, I didn't get that line to go right where I wanted it, not how am I gonna fix that without ruining the composition... and now I have to get the other side wrong in a symmetrical fashion...and where the hell did I lay the brush I had pre-loaded with green... and this llama just wobbled a bit...did she hydrate before she showed up???"

Of course...as a straight man, the shots out there of me ON MY KNEES gazing rapturously at some guys "junk" while trying to figure out how to accentuate his lower abs are just too embarrassing to contemplate.

And then to top it all off...I work with a friend/photographer who thinks this is all VERY VERY FUNNY.

Oct 17 10 08:18 am Link

Makeup Artist

courthart

head to the side, hand on hip, on my tip toes also sometimes....im 5'1 smile

Oct 17 10 04:18 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

I'm with Rich... My face is always in some strange contorted look... usually my mouth is wide open. or my right eyebrow is raised...

there a pic of me .. some where... where Im up to my elbows in bloody faux entrails and my face looks hilarious.. raised eyebrows and my mouth is wide open cuz I was asking some one to bring me a really big bucket....  and Im kinda smiling too so its a weird all around image... smile

Oct 17 10 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

GlamourProductionsPhoto

Detroit, Michigan, US

T wrote:
When I first see the talent/model I stare at their facial features they probably think I'm weird when I greet them.

Lol, I do that all the time !.

Oct 18 10 12:16 pm Link

Makeup Artist

beauty

Akhiok, Alaska, US

I can only work from the right side of people in the chair so I have a permanent right tilt going on.

I can also go into a trance like state and nothing around me registers because I am so focused on my thoughts, which is a little embarrassing the earth could move here and I would not notice.

I also have this habit that I really want to break,  when I want to check the lines on the girl eyes or the cheek or lip lines for balance I get my pointer and middle finger and point them into my eyes to get the talent to look at my eyes,  its a kind of sign language that I have taught myself when I'm under that trance

T wrote:
omg........I hold my breath too.
When I first see the talent/model I stare at their facial features they probably think I'm weird when I greet them.

Yeah,  me to but I also do it after I finish the work as well

Oct 18 10 10:52 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup by Melly

Oceanside, California, US

Vanessa Melgar wrote:

Roshar wrote:
I always lean my head to the side when I step back to look at what Ive done.
As if its really gonna look that different if I dont tilt my head.
I dont know why I do this.
At the end of the day my neck is always in pain.

OOH! And I always hold my breath when Im doing the makeup!
I step back and deeply exhale and the model thinks its an exhale of stress.
...LOL

Nope- just holding my breath for some strange reason

+1 sounds just like me

Oct 19 10 01:04 pm Link

Model

Shauni Mary Jane

Thief River Falls, Minnesota, US

Gone Til  Novus-ember wrote:

That's my stance too, just not for applying make up.  OOOH!!

**rimshot**

bahahahaha.

Oct 19 10 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Chanel Rene

Huntington Beach, California, US

I do the hair for all my shoots...
I notice when I look up at myself in the mirror I always have a "stink face". Not that the model is stinky. LOL I just hold my face funny!

Oct 19 10 01:16 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Nadia Makeup Artist

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

When I do my own makeup in the morning I stand ridiculously close to the mirror. Something to do with being short-sighted, I dunno.

When I do client makeup, I have to make a conscious effort to keep a sufficient, respectful distance of personal space. I tend to stand on the right side of their chair with the client facing straight ahead and often I forget to ask them to turn their head my way when I need to do something, so I find myself standing with all my weight on one leg, leaning to the side and trying to balance myself while applying makeup with my right hand and - for some reason - resting my left hand on my back...

Note: working back of hand with bright cream colours doesn't work well for your black clothes when you rest that hand on your back hmm Just sayin...

Apr 24 11 10:02 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Lucinda Reilly

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

I do the "gunslinger". Shoulder-width stance, knees slightly bent, intense focus, left arm extended and right thumb hooked at the hip of my brush-belt (unless it's holding a palette).

I rock back and forth from heel to toe if standing a long time. Like so many of you, I also have to remind myself to breathe. I also press the tip of my tongue into the back of my upper teeth for some reason.

Apr 24 11 10:51 pm Link

Model

Miss666Monster

Plymouth, Massachusetts, US

I'm not a make-up artist, but I have been in the position of applying make-up to people and I usually rest my right elbow on my hip for a steady hand and to do so I have to swing my hip out a little. Not to mention I have an intense concentration face lol I must look silly when I apply make-up

Apr 24 11 10:59 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cassie Lyons MUAH

wow a 4 year old thread brought back from the dead....sure wish i had been on here then coz all those fab artists aren't here anymore! i would have loved to have chatted a bit with lottie:(

so yeah, back to the subject:) so glad im not the only one doing the hand on hip weird stances. but i gotta say, at 5'9" if i dont have my directors chair with me im totally down to do the face to face, knee interlocking seated thing. i make a joke about it and right away the client or model or whomever is instantly at ease even though we are kinda up in each others' business:)

Apr 25 11 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

ShadeTree Photos

Carlisle, Kentucky, US

In Focus Makeup Art wrote:

Pervie

and yet so full of punny.

Apr 25 11 02:48 pm Link