Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Why I buy ONLINE!

Photographer

LaMarco

Berwick, Maine, US

I went out today and thought I would check out this photography shop in town. Now I live in the boonies so this is not the inner city by far. I walk into the shop wearing black dockers, blue t-shirt, and zipper up fleece vest. I am all style, LOL! I go up to the counter and ask about an old Pentax they have there. They kid on the phone says, “Um, Well. I do not deal with those. You will have to wait until Phil is off the Phone.” He points down to this guy at the end of the counter. The kid goes over says something to the guy and walks away. So I go over and kind of look around waiting. 10 mins later the guy gets off the phone, doesn’t even look at me and walks away. Just as I am going to leave some young kid comes over and asks if I am being helped. So I state “not at all”. The kid full of energy starts to show me cameras and I end up looking at this Olympus E-300. If anyone has used one please let me know. Very sweet cam indeed, I took a picture of the lights in the store and they came out white, not red H all over the place.

I got some film that people have talked about on the boards to shoot with and went home. I only spent 60 bucks, but I really liked that camera a lot. So now I am looking online to find it cheaper thinking to myself, if this place had acted in a different manner they would be making 1,100 bucks and than more for extra crap.

So the lesson is? Be thoughtful of the way you treat others.

May 19 05 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Yeah, that Golden Rule thing still applies, even after all this time...

B&H has the E-300 for $700, sans extra crap.  I haven't used it, but I hear good things.  And it's all in how you use it...
  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control … 250&is=REG

May 19 05 11:58 pm Link

Photographer

LaMarco

Berwick, Maine, US

Posted by Brian Diaz: 
Yeah, that Golden Rule thing still applies, even after all this time...

B&H has the E-300 for $700, sans extra crap.  I haven't used it, but I hear good things.  And it's all in how you use it...
  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control … 250&is=REG

Thanks for the link Brian. I think it will take me a couple to use it right. So many settings to learn.

May 20 05 08:51 am Link

Photographer

Elemental Photo

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

I live in a city, but the camera stores here totally suck too. I had a field day when I went to Toronto. But mostly, I buy everything online. Just easier.

May 20 05 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

We have a couple of stores here with great selections. They also suck on their pricing, basically MSRP on everything.

I shop for what I want in the stores, then buy online. I like the guys from B&H, even if they are closed on all High Holy Days! ;-)

Shabbat Shalom!

May 20 05 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

John Swoger

Peoria, Arizona, US

I buy all my equipment from B&H Photo (http://www.bhphoto.com). I have had nothing but good experiences with them. Plus as a member of NAPP (National Assoc. of Photoshop Professionals) I get free shipping.

May 20 05 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

NH

Newport Beach, California, US

buy online so you don't have to pay tax

May 20 05 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

There's only one shop within the city limits to get professional [120] film...and their selection is something less than pathetic.  B + H ships to me UPS in 3 days or less and always has the specific film I need in stock [Ilford Delta 3200 120]. 

May 20 05 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

LaMarco

Berwick, Maine, US

Posted by NH: 
buy online so you don't have to pay tax

I'm NH whats TAX?  LOL

May 20 05 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

LaMarco

Berwick, Maine, US

Posted by John Swoger: 
I buy all my equipment from B&H Photo (http://www.bhphoto.com). I have had nothing but good experiences with them. Plus as a member of NAPP (National Assoc. of Photoshop Professionals) I get free shipping.

Thanks for the tip about that one.

May 20 05 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

NH

Newport Beach, California, US

yeah, my friend is NH for medical school, he said no sales tax, cheap gas (than cali) and Subaru everywhere. 

May 20 05 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

LaMarco

Berwick, Maine, US

Posted by NH: 
yeah, my friend is NH for medical school, he said no sales tax, cheap gas (than cali) and Subaru everywhere.   

Thats about it. Now add beer guts, bass fishing, and a "wicked good time" thats NH. smile I guess our photoshop people are asses though. smile Its funny, I went back to drop off 2 rolls of film today. I foudn the same cam for 700 on New egg. Suckers.. Think I am going to shop in the store do the dmeos and order them online now. Just 2 bad they acted that way.

May 20 05 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

it depends what i'm buying.  lighting i buy online because the camera shops here don't have good stuff.  i buy my camera accessories online, like cf cards, filters, etc etc.  i bought my camera and lenses local.  fuck that if i'm paying shipping to get my camera fixed.  just bring it to the local shop and save a shitload of money.

May 20 05 11:32 pm Link

Photographer

LaMarco

Berwick, Maine, US

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 
it depends what i'm buying.  lighting i buy online because the camera shops here don't have good stuff.  i buy my camera accessories online, like cf cards, filters, etc etc.  i bought my camera and lenses local.  fuck that if i'm paying shipping to get my camera fixed.  just bring it to the local shop and save a shitload of money.

Nice point, how about stop breaking your shit? LOL What do you use for digital, if I may ask?

May 21 05 10:04 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Posted by LaMarco Photo: 
Nice point, how about stop breaking your shit? LOL What do you use for digital, if I may ask? 

In the past 2 years, I went from a Sony Cybershot F-717 to a Nikon D100 to a Nikon D70.

I have a full warranty from Ritz.  If I drop my camera in the water, drop it on the ground and it breaks into many small pieces, they will replace it.

Can't beat that, now can you?

Also, if you ship it out for warranty, you have to wait for it to get there, then wait for it to get back.  That's alot of precious time you are wasting, when you could be shooting.

May 21 05 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

edrickguerrero photography

Pasadena, California, US

know what i say to the local merchants here to see if i could get a haggling dicount? tell them,"but B&H sells it for this much???" then the haggling begins. if not, like brian says, demo it to death at the local store, then buy online. although, i did get my camera body from best buys...can you believe that? that's when it first came out(20d) and every store had it backlogged. and i needed to shoot the next day...

Posted by Brian Kim: 
We have a couple of stores here with great selections. They also suck on their pricing, basically MSRP on everything.

I shop for what I want in the stores, then buy online. I like the guys from B&H, even if they are closed on all High Holy Days! ;-)

Shabbat Shalom!

May 21 05 01:55 pm Link