Forums > Photography Talk > Who do you trust

Photographer

Drew Hendricks

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

I have tons of ideas swimming in my head and i think most of them would make for great themes. I want second opinions on things but i was wondering how many photographers trust each othe enought to share your ideas without seeing them in another persons portfolio

Nov 30 05 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

When you share an idea you run the risk of someone else shooting it.  Then the only thing you have to worry about is if they shoot it better than you!  LOL

Seriously though, 'artists' share ideas all the time, and often times you will see two artists who talk through ideas together shooting/painting/composing the same way...it's not a bad thing necessarily, and can lead to very good critical comparison between the two artists.

Nov 30 05 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I trust my barber...

Nov 30 05 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

wirehead arts

Sunnyvale, California, US

I very rarely talk about what I've got plotted next unless I consider it to be free for somebody else to take and use.

It's not because I'm distrustful, it's mostly because I hate describing an idea that would be AWESOME and then discovering that it looks like crap.

But, really, ideas aren't what's big.  It's the effort to sit down and implement them tastefully.  I've met far too many obnoxious people who insisted that they were God's Gift To Humanity because They Had Ideas.

Nov 30 05 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

I figured ideas are free, and if I discussed them and someone lifted an idea from me, well, it would be a compliment. No bother.

I told a model ahead of time some things I would like to shoot. She liked them. She ended up canceling the shoot, and we never rescheduled. A few months later, one of the ideas was on her portfolio, obviously set up on a shoot in the interim. And it did bother me, a little.

Nov 30 05 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

Hmmm... I have friends that don't shoot what I do. We bounce ideas off of each other knowing we're not going to be competeiing in the same market.

Paul

Nov 30 05 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Duncan

New York, New York, US

I tell people a  very vague idea of what I want. if a  potential client asks ne how I would do a job  I am even vaguer. Once I get the advance and we are about to shoot it , I will let them know. Don't ever let them know how you will do something before you get the job!!

Dec 01 05 12:01 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Made that mistake once, wont do it again. Models can have ideas too ya know! lol

Dec 01 05 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

I trust my wife, my records keeper, and the model at the shoot.  I usually don't share all the ideas I have, not because of fear of someone stealing them, but because most people don't want to hear about them.  If they do, I go into gory detail about how to get there.

Everyone really wants to see the finished product, or as someone once said, "Everyone wants to see baby pictures, no one wants to hear about the labor pains."

Dec 01 05 12:18 pm Link

Model

liviamodel

SOUTHWEST, Pennsylvania, US

I got an idea...... How about a group shot of like 20 GWC's from off MM all nude but holding their cameras in front of them.... GWC's can pick the size lens they want on their camera. lol

Then a bunch of us models get to shoot your photos.

Oh, and don't expect us to have the heat turned up for you either!

Let's see someone steal that one! roflmao

Dec 01 05 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

CarlMaiorinoPhotography

New York, New York, US

Funny you mention this.  A while back I shot a series of story-type images with a model who put some of them up on her OMP site.  Not too long afterwards, someone with an OMP page with no images (OMP used to allow that, I don't know if they still do) emailed me and said he loved the concept and was thinking about doing something similar and he asked me to send him a high-res copy of every image in the series so he could study them and get ideas.  Yeah, sure, anytime...

Dec 01 05 12:33 pm Link