Forums > Photography Talk > Who can turn water to milk?

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I need to fill a bathtub with milk - but not milk. Water.  I need to fill a bathtub with water but make it look like milk. Yeah - that's it.

So far, I've been suggested Oil of Milk (magician's ingredient), powdered milk, baking soda, glue....

The catch is a model has to sit in the tub, so it needs to be safe. Anyone tried to do this before? What works? What doesn't?

Dec 01 05 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Dec 01 05 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Doh!  Darn search.

But no one mentioned Oil of Milk - which is only $3-$5 a bottle, asupposedly  afew drops can turn a whole pitcher of water into milk - so a whole $5 bottle could certainly do it with a tub of water.  Just don't know if it's safe for a model to lay in.

Dec 01 05 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

i know Jesus can turn water into wine.

Dec 01 05 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

Cows can turn water into milk if you add grass.

Dec 01 05 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

OK - I need to start a new topic about how to rig a cow above a bathtub.

Dec 01 05 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

Dec 01 05 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Those tiles are all wrong.

Dec 01 05 10:49 pm Link

Model

Puddincups

Edmonton, Kentucky, US

Ivan123 wrote:
Cows can turn water into milk if you add grass.

LMAO...
I have been following your postings since yesturday..
and yup you be vewy vewy funny!!

Ummm water to milk check at the specialty soap stores...they must have something there that turns bathwater white!
Puddincups

Or just go with the cow above the tub..
wanders off chuckling

Dec 01 05 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

So no one here has heard of Oil of Milk?  I thought folks knew all the tricks. >

Dec 01 05 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

Henry Tjernlund

Koppel, Pennsylvania, US

Milk is pretty unique in some of its visual properties. Tricky problem. If some how you can fill the tub most the way with water, and then have some tkind of film or layer (white plastic) ontop of which only a few gallons/liters will make it look like a lot more than is really there.

Some bathing oils might emulsify in such a way as to make water look cloudy white.

Some Photoshop trickery might work for combining a model in something milk like and then combine it with another picture of actual in a thin layer on something.

Just speculation.

Henry

Dec 01 05 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Yeah - I've been trying to think of a way to cheat like that.  I honestly thought someone here would have used OOM before...a very cheap way to get the white, cloudy coloring, but I don't know how it might affect someone sitting in it for an extended period of time.  And other than magic shops, I don't know where else to look.

Dec 01 05 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

Henry Tjernlund

Koppel, Pennsylvania, US

Sleepy Weasel wrote:
I need to fill a bathtub with milk - but not milk. Water.  I need to fill a bathtub with water but make it look like milk. Yeah - that's it.

So far, I've been suggested Oil of Milk (magician's ingredient), powdered milk, baking soda, glue....

The catch is a model has to sit in the tub, so it needs to be safe. Anyone tried to do this before? What works? What doesn't?

Here's another idea. Use milk. No, seriously, listen. Go to some grocery stores or dairies and find out if the ever have to throw milk away (out of date, etc.) Maybe you can get them to throw it your way. Freeze the milk until you collect enough. Thaw and warm it. You have to find out how much it takes to fill the tub. You might even be able to dilute it some with water.

Also I know white soap disolved in water makes it murky white. Maybe white tempra finger paint. The non toxic stuff for kids. There are special paints that are actully made with a milk base.

Would be interested to hear how it works out.

Henry

Dec 01 05 11:28 pm Link

Photographer

Henry Tjernlund

Koppel, Pennsylvania, US

What about bleached flour in water? (might not be white enough, but there is Photoshop to ajust that.) Again, you might be able to find a store or bakery that needs to throw out a sack of flour or two.

Henry

Dec 01 05 11:36 pm Link

Photographer

Robpen624

New York, New York, US

Henry Tjernlund wrote:
What about bleached flour in water? (might not be white enough, but there is Photoshop to ajust that.) Again, you might be able to find a store or bakery that needs to throw out a sack of flour or two.

Henry

Safe to drain out?

Dec 01 05 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

Henry Tjernlund

Koppel, Pennsylvania, US

Damn it, now you got me to thinking about this and experimenting. :-)

I dug an old package of flour out of the pantry. It took about 4-5 heaping spoon fulls of flour to make 500ml of water to look milk like. However the color was off white. But again, you might be able to fix that it Photoshop. Now you need to measure the volume of the tub and do the math. Another problem was getting the lumps of flour mixed out.

Now, im going to be careful how I word this, if your model is female, I dont know if there is somekind of yeast infection risk or something. Just cause it is a food, doesnt mean that it is safe to get into other parts of the body.

Henry

Dec 01 05 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

Henry Tjernlund

Koppel, Pennsylvania, US

Robpen624 wrote:

Safe to drain out?

A very good question. Having been in the fire department I remember the story of milk truck accident having to be treated as a hazardous materials incident. So you might have no scoop the flour water out, or most of it, and dispose of it some other way. At least dillute it as you flush it. And flush your pipes with lots of water afterwards. Flour is a surprisingly strong glue. It is still used in paper archival situations.

Henry

Dec 02 05 12:02 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

You can always use real milk.  It's safe for the model and won't clog the pipes when you drain it out.

Paul

Dec 02 05 12:23 am Link

Photographer

Henry Tjernlund

Koppel, Pennsylvania, US

Okay, updaet on my flour in water experiment. That much flour does not completely disolve in the water and begins to settle out quickly. So you would need to keep it stirred or stir it before the shot. Also, as it is a powder in water, it tends to leave a granular residue, so you may need to sponge the tub and model frequently. It also makes bubble easily, so try to avoid that. I even tried adding a little isoproponal alcohol which helped a littel.

From a distance it might look like milk, but maybe not close up.

Henry

Dec 02 05 12:26 am Link

Photographer

Henry Tjernlund

Koppel, Pennsylvania, US

Paul Ferrara wrote:
You can always use real milk.  It's safe for the model and won't clog the pipes when you drain it out.

Paul

Yes, but 40 gallons of milk at $1+ per half gallon might be be over $100 and seems wasteful of food. Unless, as suggested, you can collect out of date milk and store it.

Henry

Dec 02 05 12:30 am Link

Photographer

Ken Pivak Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Sleepy Weasel wrote:

Call Alcone in Long Island City, NY...they specialize in theatrical make-up and if they do not have the product to help, they should know who will.
Ken

Dec 02 05 01:02 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I'm trying to avoid using real milk (smelly if not drained completely) and flour, as mentioned, might cause some problems.  I may scrap the whole idea unless I can think of an original twist on the concept I had in mind (I'm sure it's been done too many times to make it worthwhile).

Dec 02 05 10:44 am Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

I would try filling the tub w/warm water and dumping in a box of powdered milk.
Don't think it would be bad for the model's skin...and it should be pretty inexpensive.

Dec 03 05 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Use white tempera paint. You can get large bottles for relatively low cost at any hobby store. It has the virtue of being designed to be non-toxic since kids are going to play with it, eat it, stick it up their noses, and all the other weird things kids do.

Be very careful about immersing a model in a food product or anything that contains sugars or proteins that bacteria will like to eat. At the best, you'll end up with a model that smells like rotten yoghurt the next day - at the worst you'll end up in the ER with a case of toxic shock.

mjr.

Dec 03 05 12:54 pm Link