Forums > Photography Talk > left brain, right brain

Photographer

Ryan L Holbrook

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

So last night I barrowed a book from my mother called "left brain, right brain photography."  I am finding it very intresting.

Left brain photographers focus on technique.  Lighting, angles, field of vision and so forth

Right brain photogaphers are impulsive photgraphers.  Color, layout.

A right brains work looks more like what you see in a gallary, and a left brains looks like what would be in a magazine.

I'm a right brain.  I was just wondering who was what.

Dec 02 05 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

FullRez

LADERA RANCH, California, US

Left handed = Right Brain, Right Handed = Left Brain.

I'm left handed... smile

Dec 02 05 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan L Holbrook

I'm right handed.....hmmmmmmm

Dec 02 05 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

Viper Studios

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

Yes, but left brainers can learn to emulate right brainers, but right brainers can't because they are too impulsive and subject of A.D.D.

Actually, left/right thing is both actual and metaphorical.

Some children given a stack of blocks, will stack them up in a very orderly fashion.

Some children will stack them up in a not so uniform manner as a matter of choice.

Some photographers "find" shots, others "create" them....same difference.

Mark

Dec 02 05 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I am a right-brained person who found himself taking the sensible route through college studying mathematics.  This, after the military, led to engineering work in aerospace.  My wife convinced me that much of the frustration I was feeling with engineering was because I couldn't let the right brain do its thing. She almost forced me into photo school, and even there I approached things from the left brain perspective, continuing into commercial photography that way.

It wasn't until I found myself as frustrated with commercial photography as I'd been with engineering that I realized I had to separate the left brain talent for making money from the right brain need to create.

Today, when I step out of the office at 3:30PM, I'm an artist.  The guys at the office recognize it but don't understand it.  The artists I hang with can't figure it out at all.  But it works for me.  Thank God!

-Don

Dec 02 05 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Hmmm, I've often wondered about this: I'm ambidextrous, so what does that mean for me?

Dec 02 05 11:02 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Jay Bowman wrote:
Hmmm, I've always wondered about this:  I'm ambidextrous.  So what does that mean for me?

Nothing, really.  There isn't a relationship between brain dominance and handedness.  There is a relationship between which hemisphere of the brain has motor control over which side of the body, but that's not the subject here.

-Don

Edit:  Jay's post had to do with his questioning of that handedness theory,  rather than a question of his own handedness.  I stand corrected.

Dec 02 05 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
Nothing, really.  There isn't a relationship between brain dominance and handedness.  There is a relationship between which hemisphere of the brain has motor control over which side of the body, but that's not the subject here.

-Don

Quoted me in the middle of an edit. 

I asked in response to Playful Media's statement on brain dominance and handedness.  I hadn't intended to steer the subject off...

Dec 02 05 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Jay Bowman wrote:
Quoted me in the middle of an edit.

Don't you hate it when that happens?

-D

Dec 02 05 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

Henry Tjernlund

Koppel, Pennsylvania, US

See the how-to-draw book "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain". By Betty Edwards, I think.

I think the only concern for left handers if is you also had a left handed mother.

Henry

Dec 02 05 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

Henry Tjernlund

Koppel, Pennsylvania, US

I was a math major as well that also dabbled in art.

Henry

Dec 02 05 11:28 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I don't know if handedness plays a part in cluing in on which side of the brain is dominant or not.  I am a very dual natured person though...I for instance obsess about grammar, but detest attempting to learn spelling.  I will sit at table at a diner and play with the packets of cream both arranging them in neat piles and pretty patterns.  I was instantaneously able to learn geometry, and physics, but almost failed calculus and AP english.  I worked in computers for 10 years and worked as a photographer and layout artist during that same period.  As far as photography goes I've been told I have an artist's eye, but I'm pretty well versed on the technical aspects as well...maybe I just have an ambidextrous brain...

Dec 02 05 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

Gary L.

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
I am a right-brained person who found himself taking the sensible route through college studying mathematics.  This, after the military, led to engineering work in aerospace.  My wife convinced me that much of the frustration I was feeling with engineering was because I couldn't let the right brain do its thing. She almost forced me into photo school, and even there I approached things from the left brain perspective, continuing into commercial photography that way.

It wasn't until I found myself as frustrated with commercial photography as I'd been with engineering that I realized I had to separate the left brain talent for making money from the right brain need to create.

Today, when I step out of the office at 3:30PM, I'm an artist.  The guys at the office recognize it but don't understand it.  The artists I hang with can't figure it out at all.  But it works for me.  Thank God!

-Don

very close to my experience.  I too did the sensible college thing (B.S. in Physics and Math). Did the computer thing, till the DOT COM fell, then I switched to photography.  Now I'm torn between doing what I hate (senior portraits), to pay the bills.  I would love to do more creative work, but there is little money in, for me at least.

But my work tends to draw more towards the left-brain.

Dec 03 05 12:12 am Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

I'm left handed, so I'm in my right mind.
I read somewhere that we "see" better when we look @ things upside down, but I never got that.
And I can't stand on my head that long.

Dec 03 05 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan L Holbrook

I'm right handed and a right brain photog so I don't think what hand you use has anything to do with it.

I accually have/had A.D.D. (Was one of the guinnie pigs back in the early 90s for ridilen, which TO THIS DAY suffer from one of its side effects.) 

I will admit I find shots.  I also consider myself a lucky photographer.  I never realize how good my pic come out till I get them processed.

Dec 03 05 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan L Holbrook

I'm right handed and a right brain photog so I don't think what hand you use has anything to do with it.

I accually have/had A.D.D. (Was one of the guinnie pigs back in the early 90s for ridilen, which TO THIS DAY suffer from one of its side effects.) 

I will admit I find shots.  I also consider myself a lucky photographer.  I never realize how good my pic come out till I get them processed.

Dec 03 05 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Fireflyfotography

Las Colinas, Panamá, Panama

I thought eye dominants was more of a factor for what side of the brain we use
its like a big X in the brain if you are right eye dominant you use your left brain more... and etc..

Dec 03 05 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

Fotowirxx

Portland, Oregon, US

And then there are those photographers who simply step aside to allow the power and magic of Beauty appear before them..........

Dec 03 05 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Alli BBBBBBBBB

Syracuse, New York, US

Im a lefty....so Im more artistic with my stuff....but when i was browsing and saw most lefties subjective to A.D.D....i think that is RIDICULOUS!!! and my mother was never a lefty....christ sakes, Leonardo DaVinci was a lefty !! He was a great painter, scientist and could draw amazingly awesome...but I am a technical person, so i do use the left side of my brain, i dont think it really matters what hand you use or what side of the brain you use, you are who you are and what you make out of life !!!

Dec 03 05 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

I'm definitely a left-brainer.  I believe that some right-brainers can learn the techie stuff but us left-brainers are stuck with what we are.

BTW, I'm also left handed and that has nothing to do with the above.

Paul

Dec 03 05 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Gary L.

AlliPhotoGraphx wrote:
Leonardo DaVinci was a lefty !! He was a great painter, scientist and could draw amazingly awesome...

I thought Leonardo da Vinci was an ambidextrous, who was a genius like Michelangelo, who He often painted with both hands. When one got tired, he switched to the other.  Albert Einstein, who is another genius, was also Ambidextrous.

Actually, da Vinci could write backwards, in a mirror image, which suggesested he may have been a dyslexic genius.  I only know of one person who can write in a mirror image, and it's amazing.

Dec 03 05 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

JBPhoto wrote:
I read somewhere that we "see" better when we look @ things upside down, but I never got that.

that's in the book mentioned above 'drawing on the right side of the brain'. she askes you to copy a line drawing freehand & then by looking at it upside down. the typical result is the upside down one turns out closer to the original (check forgers, take note ;-)

Dec 03 05 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

DAF Productions wrote:
A right brains work looks more like what you see in a gallary, and a left brains looks like what would be in a magazine.

So, I will have gallery showings shortly with different themes... but I am also shooting for publications and advertising work.

What does that mean?

I think all that right/left brain really means is what someone focuses on most to get the results.

Dec 03 05 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Lets see... throughout school, I've been lousy at math but good in geometry until trigonometry. Good spatial relations skills and good mechanical aptitude unless math was involved. My notebooks in school was always full of drawings. Excellent at art, I also did sculptures while in elementary school. Good with History, so-so with English except compositions were good. good in any science subject except physics and calculus - that math thing again. As an IT consultant, I've been know to come up with creative solutions to problems because I sometimes "think outside the box".

I'd say I'm probably a little of both but learning to use the right brain more after stifling it throughout my adult life.

Dec 03 05 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

J Sigerson

UdoR wrote:
I think all that right/left brain really means is what someone focuses on most to get the results.

What someone focuses on, surely, but probably because it's more natural or comfortable. This whole thing is reminding me of Meyers-Briggs Type theory.

I can use my left hand for many things, though I choose not to when my right is available. That one is more comfortable for me doesn't mean the other is useless; same with brain hemispheres.

I think in some areas my right brain/left brain are nearly fused together, while in other areas they're barely acquaintances.

I learn things quickly and thoroughly, or not at all. I've been a spelling freak since I was 5. I can barely drive a car. I can read and write in a mirror image, but it never occurred to me until today that other people couldn't. I worked as a Mac tech for months before even seeking formal training. Being on time is an excruciating effort. Every few years I paint something, just to see if I still can... though I can't remember ever learning to paint. My brother is 100% right brain and thinks I'm a Vulcan; many (okay, all of them) former employers would see me as much more the eccentric artiste type. I've never lived by myself, and probably never will...

Here's a story, that may or may not have a point attached. I played music for many years with a standup bass player who I considered extremely left-brained. The fact that he wanted so badly to play a highly improvisatonal form of jazz struck me as highly ambitious. I couldn't imagine him succeeding, with his natural (comfortable) left brain approach. Guess what? He's booked solid, and I've come to see him as a "real artist" (like me - LOL). He's even taught me that I can learn a few left brain tricks to add to my musical palette.

So anyone can do whatever they are motivated enough to master; I'm sure I could learn to write with my left hand, if I really tried (but I don't see that happening; in this word-processing world of tomorrow, I can barely write with my right hand anymore...).

Read "Gifts Differing" by Isabel Briggs-Meyers (directed at nobody in particular). I think the trick is to identify the strengths in your cognitive style, and exercise them, plus identify your weaknesses, and pump them up a little too.

Or something.

Dec 03 05 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

Alli BBBBBBBBB

Syracuse, New York, US

Gary L. wrote:
I thought Leonardo da Vinci was an ambidextrous, who was a genius like Michelangelo, who He often painted with both hands. When one got tired, he switched to the other.  Albert Einstein, who is another genius, was also Ambidextrous.

Actually, da Vinci could write backwards, in a mirror image, which suggesested he may have been a dyslexic genius.  I only know of one person who can write in a mirror image, and it's amazing.

Its funny how this was brought up...I take art history right now, and JUST finished reading about the high renaissance and Da Vinci....and for the assignment this week was to visit a site about either Da Vinci, Michaelangelo or Raphael...and I visited one site on Da Vinci provided by my professor that brought me to the page, where they mentioned him being a lefty...heres the link smile

http://www.mos.org/sln/Leonardo/Leonard … oLeft.html

and his mirror writing is pretty fascinating i agree...if i could only do that and not confuse the hell out of myself.... smile

Dec 03 05 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Henry Tjernlund

Koppel, Pennsylvania, US

JBPhoto wrote:

Try using a view camera.

henry

Dec 04 05 12:31 am Link

Photographer

Henry Tjernlund

Koppel, Pennsylvania, US

DragonFlyImage wrote:
I thought eye dominants was more of a factor for what side of the brain we use
its like a big X in the brain if you are right eye dominant you use your left brain more... and etc..

My right eye is dominant, but due to a medical problem I lost part of my vision in that eye. :-(

Henry

Dec 04 05 12:33 am Link

Photographer

Henry Tjernlund

Koppel, Pennsylvania, US

easyonthe eyes wrote:

What someone focuses on, surely, but probably because it's more natural or comfortable. This whole thing is reminding me of Meyers-Briggs Type theory.

I can use my left hand for many things, though I choose not to when my right is available. That one is more comfortable for me doesn't mean the other is useless; same with brain hemispheres.

I think in some areas my right brain/left brain are nearly fused together, while in other areas they're barely acquaintances.

I learn things quickly and thoroughly, or not at all. I've been a spelling freak since I was 5. I can barely drive a car. I can read and write in a mirror image, but it never occurred to me until today that other people couldn't. I worked as a Mac tech for months before even seeking formal training. Being on time is an excruciating effort. Every few years I paint something, just to see if I still can... though I can't remember ever learning to paint. My brother is 100% right brain and thinks I'm a Vulcan; many (okay, all of them) former employers would see me as much more the eccentric artiste type. I've never lived by myself, and probably never will...

Here's a story, that may or may not have a point attached. I played music for many years with a standup bass player who I considered extremely left-brained. The fact that he wanted so badly to play a highly improvisatonal form of jazz struck me as highly ambitious. I couldn't imagine him succeeding, with his natural (comfortable) left brain approach. Guess what? He's booked solid, and I've come to see him as a "real artist" (like me - LOL). He's even taught me that I can learn a few left brain tricks to add to my musical palette.

So anyone can do whatever they are motivated enough to master; I'm sure I could learn to write with my left hand, if I really tried (but I don't see that happening; in this word-processing world of tomorrow, I can barely write with my right hand anymore...).

Read "Gifts Differing" by Isabel Briggs-Meyers (directed at nobody in particular). I think the trick is to identify the strengths in your cognitive style, and exercise them, plus identify your weaknesses, and pump them up a little too.

Or something.

Good points. The two halves of the brain talk to each other (except for rare diseases, accidents, or surgical procedures). One of the main points of books like "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" is to learn to let the Right "intuitive" side kick in. To learn to sense the difference. Now with some people both sides may have about equal input in what they do. Some people need to learn no relax on and let the other one have some fun. Ussually I think my photography comes out better when I have a more relaxed, playful, and "timeless" attitude. (Which is why I hate paying models by the hour.)

Although a technical person I like to see the "art" in what I do and have always had trouble being at work on time.

Heard something about music. There was a brain scan study of musically talented people and "normal" people. (No insult intended.) But, musicians' brains had the same basic activity in just thinking about music as non-musicians did when listening to actual music. So the musicians could "hear" the music in their mind as if they were hearing it. Not sure what this means for photography.r

Henry

Dec 04 05 12:48 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I forget who it was, but I heard of a cinematographer who would focus with his right eye and compose with his left eye to draw on the advantages each side of the brain had to offer.

Every right brain/left brain test I have ever taken put me right down the middle...

Dec 04 05 06:47 am Link

Photographer

J Sigerson

Henry Tjernlund wrote:
Good points. The two halves of the brain talk to each other (except for rare diseases, accidents, or surgical procedures). One of the main points of books like "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" is to learn to let the Right "intuitive" side kick in. To learn to sense the difference. Now with some people both sides may have about equal input in what they do. Some people need to learn no relax on and let the other one have some fun. Ussually I think my photography comes out better when I have a more relaxed, playful, and "timeless" attitude. (Which is why I hate paying models by the hour.)

Although a technical person I like to see the "art" in what I do and have always had trouble being at work on time.

Heard something about music. There was a brain scan study of musically talented people and "normal" people. (No insult intended.) But, musicians' brains had the same basic activity in just thinking about music as non-musicians did when listening to actual music. So the musicians could "hear" the music in their mind as if they were hearing it. Not sure what this means for photography.r

Henry

Never occurred to me that "normal" people didn't listen to music in their heads. Explains a thing or two, though...

What does it mean to photography? I think some artists paint with their cameras... I mean first they see the picture, then paint it onto the film. I'm certainly not there; I lack the mastery of light, the flexibility-to-decisiveness ratio, and definitely the self-confidence.

In other words, what does it mean to photography? I don't know ;-J

Dec 04 05 07:40 am Link