Forums > Model Colloquy > I just don't look good in clothes.

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Without reading the other responses (which I will do after posting), I will say: I look better without clothes too, which is why I am an art models. For me, posing is all about body language, and the best way for me to convey body language is without the constraints of clothes.

Dec 16 05 07:22 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

olivia petra wrote:
We buy and return for shoots, LOL, who can afford this stuff?

Guess you don't let your models eat, drink, or have their periods during the shoot...
I know that this is a good way to get photos with great clothes, but I can't seem to bring myself to do it. Besides, if it gets marked up, you kind of do have to buy it, don't you? I know that Needless Markup won't be hurt by what you are doing, but for some reason, it just doesn't sit well with me. But that is my personal ethics, and should not stop anyone else from doing what they need to. I am also not a fashion model, so I guess it never occured to me to try and model uberexpensive clothes. Besides, in couture sizing, I am like a 12/14 instead of an 8, and they don't carry much stuff that size. I love going to that part of the store, where the dresses are works of art, but half the time i am afraid to try them on.

Dec 16 05 07:28 pm Link

Model

Not there now

San Francisco, California, US

carra wrote:
clothes are annoying...
can never find jeans long enough
shoes that are my size
or shirts they way i like lol

... oh lala Udo

christ don't even get me started on the inseam thing...
i am a 25/26 (thats 0/2) with a 34" inseam...
thank the stars for Diesel and Rock and Republic...
same thing with tops and blazers i have to get everything altered...

Dec 16 05 07:28 pm Link

Model

CTD- NYC Model

Fairfield, Connecticut, US

I know the inseam thing sucks, I need 35/36 =/  ..A friend who is tall, says Calvin Klein and Express are good for long inseams
So its agreed everyone hates clothes and looks better naked hehe

Dec 16 05 10:16 pm Link

Model

Shura

Jefferson City, Missouri, US

I have to pick some stuff in kids section, espeically stuff like t-shirts and jeans. I also got a sawing machine, in case I need to alter anything. Looking around in different places and altering things yhourself might work.

Dec 17 05 01:43 am Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:

Been around and shot WAAAAAYYYYY too many fashion models to believe there's any truth to this rumour.

Hello...
Shot many a fashion show at 7th on 6th for many years, and yes, a lot of models that you see that look good on the runway look AWEFUL naked!  You see them getting dressed in the dressing rooms and can't believe they are the same ones on the runway.  A great number of them look likek the little starving kids depicted in those hunger commercials late at night...

Dec 17 05 02:15 am Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Glad this isn't so much a problem for me, I Like clothes.  they are warm.  Plus it's winter.  BRRR>>>

Dec 17 05 07:40 pm Link

Model

waterany1

Winter Park, Colorado, US

JulieB wrote:

Actually, there are tons of different forms of modeling. I do a lot of art modeling, which is, ya know, sans clothes. I'm really not a fashion model. Runway is really just a pipe dream I have. I'm just trying to find someone generous enough to put me on a runway. Except the kind planes land on. Although, that could be an interesting story.

I work as a life model for painting and drawing classes, and absolutely love it!  Not having to worry about wardrobe is great!

Dec 18 05 08:31 am Link

Model

flaca_y_bonita

Atlanta, Georgia, US

maybe it is becaues you FEEL you look better naked and that is prjected in the photos your clothed in.

Dec 18 05 09:45 am Link

Model

JulieB

New York, New York, US

flaca_y_bonita wrote:
maybe it is becaues you FEEL you look better naked and that is prjected in the photos your clothed in.

Ah! That is probably it!

Dec 18 05 02:19 pm Link

Model

Prince Jewell

JulieB wrote:
Anybody else have this problem? I look awful in clothes!!!! Tips?

I say the same thing, not that I look terrible in clothes, just my best features are my muscle tone.

Dec 18 05 02:53 pm Link

Model

dpretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

flaca_y_bonita wrote:

I think that is often the case...
Hugh's trick is to ask a girl to spread her legs or do something sexy, and just take a head shot. Usually, it doesn't take long before their faces stop burning and they relax into a much sexier mode.

Dec 18 05 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

Jack Elliott

Brandy wrote:
I said this EXACT same thing to my boyfriend last night. I told him if I could go to work in my thong and a bra... or just a bikini... or even lingerie everyday, I would do it!

I have an opening in Advertising Sales.....

Dec 21 05 01:44 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

carra wrote:
... oh lala Udo

Hmmm... weren't you backstage when some models demanded of me  to strip my upper body because of my tattoo? big_smile

Dec 23 05 02:02 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

theda wrote:
Yeah, I look better naked. I even have a t-shirt that says so.

Phoenix E wrote:
i want a t-shirt that says that!

but seriously, it is all about finding clothes that work with you as an invidual.....ignore the trends, and spend a lot of time trying things on that you may not like a first glance.....and honestly, every brand/label fits a little differently, find one that works for you......

but seriously, i want a t-shirt that says that!

My T-Shirt Says

100% Hugable

But Hey Nekid is Good Too...

(:--------

Hj

Dec 23 05 02:08 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

DreamPretty wrote:

I think that is often the case...
Hugh's trick is to ask a girl to spread her legs or do something sexy, and just take a head shot. Usually, it doesn't take long before their faces stop burning and they relax into a much sexier mode.

They are completely dressed when i ask them that!!

Just to clarify...

But after all the head shots,they ask...what you dont like my Body?

Grin!!

(:----------

Hj

Dec 23 05 02:15 am Link

Photographer

Sanders McNew

New York, New York, US

JulieB wrote:

Having just photographed Julie, I can bring an objective eye to this discussion.  Julie looks fabulous out of her clothes.  (See my MM page for samples.) 

Sanders McNew

Dec 23 05 05:31 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Clothes are over rated. (except when it's really cold).  That's why I bacame a clothing designer.  I don't like to wear much clothing.

Jay Dezelic
Model/Photographer/Apparel Designer for JDEZ.COM
Modeling Portfolio

Dec 23 05 06:31 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Uh....shoot nude?  LOL....isn't this way too obvious guys?  C'mon now....hahahaha!

Dec 24 05 11:43 am Link

Model

Jessa Rae

Tallahassee, Florida, US

carra wrote:
clothes are annoying...
can never find jeans long enough
shoes that are my size
or shirts they way i like lol

... oh lala Udo

I buy my jeans at pacific sunwear.  They have longs with 34-35 inch inseams.  So does alloy.com (although the fit isnt as nice) and New York and Company.  FYI

Dec 24 05 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

JulieB wrote:

What a coincidence!
I have the same problem!!!!

Dec 25 05 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Dossett Photography

Lovejoy, Georgia, US

Ivy Red wrote:

GAH! not duct tape... leaves sticky stuffs... I find masking tape works best or in a pinch  clear heavyweight packing tape...

Vinyl tape.  Low residue, comes off in 1 piece, comes in different colors if the need arises and is very easily trimmed.

Dec 25 05 07:32 pm Link