Forums > Model Colloquy > Reality TV Shows

Clothing Designer

Greg Richburg

Fresno, California, US

I have been asked to be on a couple reality TV shows, but they just take too much time.  Are they worth it?  I do have a normal job, and although I own my own company, I would still have to skip out on some clients. 

Has anyone had much experience with reality tv?  Please offer your input.

GR

Dec 23 05 03:14 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

No experience.  But from what I hear some reality tv shows pay or match what you currently make in your time of absence from your real job.  I'm sure you can negotiate some terms of compensation if you decide to take their offer.

D

Dec 23 05 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

...and hopefully you get a job when your 15 minutes is up.
I can't think of one real star from the crop of "reality" shows.

"Reality shows" another great oxymoron

Dec 23 05 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Most of the reality shows,  like the dating ones, pay $50-$200 to be on the air.  I know a lot of people that have been on them, most have had fun.

Forget the money.  Really, the only issue is whether you want to do it.  If you think it would be fun, go for it.  Sometiems you get embarassed, so maybe it is not what you want to do.

In general, the reality shows having people who are animated enough willing to do the shows.  They are constantly casting.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Dec 23 05 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

I think the guy from big fat obnoxious fiancee went on to do some stuff...

Dec 23 05 09:59 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Greg Richburg wrote:
I have been asked to be on a couple reality TV shows, but they just take too much time.  Are they worth it?  I do have a normal job, and although I own my own company, I would still have to skip out on some clients. 

GR

Did you see the show with Branson?  The girl who started the Spanx.com line did real well with the exposure.  I am sure if you ask her, she would say it is worth it.  Is there a way you can get exposure for your line by virtue of your involvement in any of these deals?  I am starting an apparel company also (you can see my designs in my portfolio).  Gorilla marketing is key in building brand awareness these days.  I would take any chance I get if you could leverage it for your company's visability. It is also a great thing to be able to show potential investors that you are actively pursuing leveraged marketing tactics.

Jay Dezelic
Model/Photographer/Apparel Designer for JDEZ.COM
Modeling Portfolio

Dec 23 05 11:49 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Rick Edwards wrote:
...and hopefully you get a job when your 15 minutes is up.
I can't think of one real star from the crop of "reality" shows.

"Reality shows" another great oxymoron

What you are saying is so not true.....reality tv stars go on to do a lot of things.  Look at Kelly Clarkson!!!  Hellooooo?!?!??!?!   Reality TV shows are the highest rated shows on cable television......also look at all the cats on The Apprentice they are all making bank with huge corporations and are ''celebrities'' in their own right....

Dec 24 05 11:41 am Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I wanna be on the Real World!!

Dec 24 05 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

adrienne of Zswana wrote:

I'd like to rock your real world...

Dec 24 05 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

adrienne of Zswana wrote:

sweety, that is all of our dreams as well, the problem is, is that you are sooo hot, you would instantly make it into an NC-17 rating!!!

Dec 24 05 04:12 pm Link

Model

SHAWN ANTONIA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Greg Richburg wrote:

GR

ditto

but i wouldn't want my business out there like that.

Dec 25 05 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Being on the production side I assure you all, [Honest! Cross my heart and hope to die!] that most "reality" TV shows tend to be, and are intended to be, a sort of "collective joke" where the participants are expected to be the punch line.

If you haven't figured that out by now there is little hope for you.

Studio36

Dec 25 05 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

"Reality TV Show"....  Isn't that an oxymoron?

Dec 25 05 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

studio36uk wrote:
Being on the production side I assure you all, [Honest! Cross my heart and hope to die!] that most "reality" TV shows tend to be, and are intended to be, a sort of "collective joke" where the participants are expected to be the punch line.

If you haven't figured that out by now there is little hope for you.

Studio36

I thought we all knew that.  You are right!

Fear Factor, ewwww, what those people do!

Dec 25 05 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:
What you are saying is so not true.....reality tv stars go on to do a lot of things.  Look at Kelly Clarkson!!!  Hellooooo?!?!??!?!   Reality TV shows are the highest rated shows on cable television......also look at all the cats on The Apprentice they are all making bank with huge corporations and are ''celebrities'' in their own right....

American Idol is a talent show NOT a reality show
(it just gets a better time slot than Show Time at the Apollo)
if she couldn't at least sing she wouldn't have been there
Her latest album is a great step towards a really good career, but gimme a feakin' break, there ain't another real talent from any of these shows
and as far as the Apprentice, the guy that won the first year isn't working for Trump anymore.....
these shows are totally contrived to elicit a response, edited to show the "reality" that the creators and producers want you to believe

Dec 26 05 12:22 am Link

Model

Doris

Burbank, California, US

If you are also an actor, then doing a reality show will basically kill your career. 

You mentioned you have a business with clients.  Reality shows thrive on conflict and will warp any scene to create that conflict... this could make you look bad (even amongst the most innocent of scenes)... and as a result, this could cause you to lose those clients you have.

I would not recommend it.

I have seen two actor friends do reality tv... and they left LA a year later after they learned that no agency, no producer will take a chance on an already established "personality."  Once you've created a "personality" on a reality show, it becomes difficult for the general public to believe you as anyone except that person, so your chance at creating a personality or character for an acting role is shot.

Again, would not recommend doing reality tv.

Dec 26 05 12:57 am Link

Model

Amy Harber

Chicago, Illinois, US

Doris wrote:
If you are also an actor, then doing a reality show will basically kill your career. 

You mentioned you have a business with clients.  Reality shows thrive on conflict and will warp any scene to create that conflict... this could make you look bad (even amongst the most innocent of scenes)... and as a result, this could cause you to lose those clients you have.

I have seen two actor friends do reality tv... and they left LA a year later after they learned that no agency, no producer will take a chance on an already established "personality."  Once you've created a "personality" on a reality show, it becomes difficult for the general public to believe you as anyone except that person, so your chance at creating a personality or character for an acting role is shot.

not necessarily true.

A guy I know was on The Amazing Race and he has a national beer commercial running right now.

I know others have done reality and they're actually doing quite well with their acting careers also. It's just about how you market yourself.

Dec 26 05 01:21 am Link

Photographer

JasonE

Durham, California, US

Most reality TV stars dont really do anything afterwards.  Unless you are on "The Real World/Road Rules" (then you get to do those challenges for money).  Or "American Idol" (if you win then you get a record deal) etc etc.

Dec 26 05 02:01 pm Link

Model

Amy Harber

Chicago, Illinois, US

JasonE wrote:
Most reality TV stars dont really do anything afterwards.  Unless you are on "The Real World/Road Rules" (then you get to do those challenges for money).  Or "American Idol" (if you win then you get a record deal) etc etc.

that's because most of them try to cash in all their chips with their reality fame.

Dec 27 05 02:36 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

The Art of CIP wrote:
"Reality TV Show"....  Isn't that an oxymoron?

beaten like a red headed step child

Dec 27 05 02:55 am Link

Model

Joshua Stone

San Diego, California, US

I, like 95% of the rest of SoCal, have been on the MTV show Next.

It was a good experience, I got paid $200, and the girl picked me.

The embarrassment I had to suffer through as my entire extended family watched it together with my head buried in my face, however, may have spoiled it for me.

I say, go for it.

Dec 27 05 03:02 am Link

Photographer

JasonE

Durham, California, US

Aimercat wrote:

that's because most of them try to cash in all their chips with their reality fame.

Exactly

Dec 27 05 10:46 am Link

Model

Maxtastic

Northampton, Massachusetts, US

Doris wrote:

I totally agree. Reality TV is basically a ploy by networks to save money. They can get 20 no-experience, "real people" contestants to compete for a chance to win the same salary that one trained actor or actress used to get paid weekly to shoot a decent sitcom.

The production costs are much lower too, so say all of my friends who deal with that side of the industry. I know a lot of producers out of work after their sitcoms were kicked off the air and replaced with these shows that basically shoot themselves, lol.

Basically, it's lowering the standards of the industry, in my opinion. I'd rather hold out and keep shooting infomercials to make ends meet until I can get a prime-time role that might actually lead to something more than 15 minutes of fame.

Dec 27 05 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

ThefStopsHere

Olympia, Washington, US

just for the record... the only "real" reality t.v. is live sporting events (excluding the Half-time show, which is a "reality suspension event"). Everything else is shaped and edited in post-production for our consumption.
Even our posts on this thread are time-delayed to allow for removal or censoring of offensive words like F**k.  See!  I typed F**k but it comes out in the thread as F**k.  That's because the thread censor is busy at work.

Dec 28 05 11:59 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

According to the the unions, reality TV is the popular way to screw professional..  It's not very real, but there are no scripts so the writers are screwed and no real actors demanding SAG rates.

Dec 28 05 12:06 pm Link

Model

Sarah Schaf

Wyandotte, Michigan, US

Doris wrote:

I, like yourself (as it appears), am not a huge fan of reality television I think its only means is due to producers running out of "good" television programs. But this is not true. There are many people who have been on reality tv and are actors now due to their "reality" experience. I don't know her name, but the girl from The Bachelor with bachelor Bob (who is now his wife) is on a daytime soap. Many other people have had soap careers from their reality tv experience.

Dec 28 05 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

JasonE

Durham, California, US

Sarah Schaf wrote:

I, like yourself (as it appears), am not a huge fan of reality television I think its only means is due to producers running out of "good" television programs. But this is not true. There are many people who have been on reality tv and are actors now due to their "reality" experience. I don't know her name, but the girl from The Bachelor with bachelor Bob (who is now his wife) is on a daytime soap. Many other people have had soap careers from their reality tv experience.

Soap careers are really easy to get though because something is ALWAYS happening in a soap opera when you think of it, so they are always looking for new characters to fit the roles of the new affairs and all that other stuff.  Lets see her try to catch a role in a movie along the side of someone like Tom Cruise etc.

Dec 28 05 12:45 pm Link

Model

Sarah Schaf

Wyandotte, Michigan, US

JasonE wrote:
[Soap careers are really easy to get though because something is ALWAYS happening in a soap opera when you think of it, so they are always looking for new characters to fit the roles of the new affairs and all that other stuff.  Lets see her try to catch a role in a movie along the side of someone like Tom Cruise etc.

Yes, but she is a return character and a main one at that and (I don't know what movie) she appeared in a movie-although it was not a lead role, it was one of the leads. Some of these people MAY eventually make it to be big, but how many actors are actually A-list anyway? Not many at all!

Dec 28 05 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

JasonE

Durham, California, US

Sarah Schaf wrote:

Yes, but she is a return character and a main one at that and (I don't know what movie) she appeared in a movie-although it was not a lead role, it was one of the leads. Some of these people MAY eventually make it to be big, but how many actors are actually A-list anyway? Not many at all!

LOL, you do have a point

Dec 28 05 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

I remember seeing a average annual pay for all SAG members was somewhere around $500 back in 1990.  Gotta figure there are loads of folks who get their card for that one or two lines at a gig and never get another job that year.  Then you have the $20 million folks...big disparity

Dec 28 05 01:39 pm Link