Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Question for clothing designers

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

This is not meant as a put down but I have to ask.What about putting your logo on a piece of clothing, like a t shirt and such makes what you have produce any different than anyone else?
  I see a lot of designers on here who basically have  items such as t shirts and such with their logo on it.

Dec 31 05 06:05 am Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

I don't even have a logo yet.  LOL  So I can't really answer the question.

I know it's a throwback to the CK rage in the 90's, that was probably a throwback to Andy Warhol's "pop art", and so on.

Right now I'm more busy focusing on creating actual pieces than trying to make a quick buck (though I want to have my own line of humorous tees for sale).

Jan 01 06 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Gee, now that's a novel idea...

https://www.eastsidemall.com/employachiid/graphics/logos.gif

Jan 01 06 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I hate logos on clothing, and I refuse to buy things with anything larger than about 1/2 inch.

I paid for the clothing.  Why do I also have to advertise for the company?

Jan 01 06 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Started big with the Jordache jeans commercials.  Not sure if big before then.

As the film critics from "in loving color" used to say.

"Hated it"

I hate it.

When traveling to Asia,  I used to bring clothing to give out but I would do things to or paint around the logos like Nike to have shirts that would be Anti-Nike instead of plain Nike shirts.   

The villagers loved them and they did get the joke.

Jan 01 06 08:30 pm Link

Model

egyptmachine

El Paso, Texas, US

I wouldn't really call them "clothing designers", more like graphic artists who can screen print.  Also I do agree with whoever said about being a walking ad.

Jan 01 06 11:36 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

egyptmachine wrote:
I wouldn't really call them "clothing designers", more like graphic artists who can screen print.  Also I do agree with whoever said about being a walking ad.

exactly. and all you are doing is buying their logo. so in fact you are paying for their advertisment and wearing it, too. I can get a t shirt anywhere, and a pair of shorts, pants,etc.
I was just wondering why some call themselves clothing designers but offer nothing more than simple casual wear with nothing different about them than anyone else but their logo.

Jan 01 06 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

area291 wrote:
Gee, now that's a novel idea...

https://www.eastsidemall.com/employachiid/graphics/logos.gif

Jan 01 06 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

The House of Lethal

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
This is not meant as a put down but I have to ask.What about putting your logo on a piece of clothing, like a t shirt and such makes what you have produce any different than anyone else?
  I see a lot of designers on here who basically have  items such as t shirts and such with their logo on it.

if people are willing to pay more money just to say that they have a certain designers products, why not put my logo on a t shirt? i put my logo on certain designes in order to brand them. it makes it a little less appealing if somone were to copy the design it would seem as if somthing is missing, hopfully.

Jan 02 06 03:34 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

hasan wrote:

if people are willing to pay more money just to say that they have a certain designers products, why not put my logo on a t shirt? i put my logo on certain designes in order to brand them. it makes it a little less appealing if somone were to copy the design it would seem as if somthing is missing, hopfully.

I believe you are completely missing the point of my question.

Jan 02 06 03:35 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

The quality of that t-shirt does not change.  But its value does.

And how much that design/logo adds value to that blank Fruit-of-the-loom is up to the consumer.  It's a value-added process, not a quality-added process.

Jan 02 06 04:28 am Link

Model

egyptmachine

El Paso, Texas, US

dang, at least being a small time designer. I have one more thing to offer than these people.... I CAN FREAKING SEW!!!!

Jan 02 06 04:43 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

lll wrote:
The quality of that t-shirt does not change.  But its value does.

And how much that design/logo adds value to that blank Fruit-of-the-loom is up to the consumer.  It's a value-added process, not a quality-added process.

but my main question, again is,why do some people consider themselves a clothing designer when all they have is plain ordinary t shirts and such and they just slap their logo on it?to be considered a designer, dont you usually have to design something different? to not design something  different than the others to me makes you just a clothing copier, not designer.

Jan 02 06 04:48 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Why not?  A logo isn't a design?

Most designers make a line of clothing that gives them their names (like all those stuff on the runway), then makes another line of "everyday clothing" that people can actually wear on the street.  Those tend to be t-shirts and things.  Ralph Lauren pioneered that trend and is still making tons of money using that business model.

Do you know how much Intel just paid its design firm to get its new logo?

Jan 02 06 04:54 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

lll wrote:
Why not?  A logo isn't a design?

Most designers make a line of clothing that gives them their names (like all those stuff on the runway), then makes another line of "everyday clothing" that people can actually wear on the street.  Those tend to be t-shirts and things.  Ralph Lauren pioneered that trend and is still making tons of money using that business model.

Do you know how much Intel just paid its design firm to get its new logo?

logo designers and clothing designers are completely different. If you consider designing a logo and slapping it on a t shirt to be clothing design then I have been a clothing designer since I was about 12,lol.
putting a decal on a bumper does not make you an automobile designer smile

Jan 02 06 05:01 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

You asked (in your second post) if that makes them a designer, it does, a graphic designer.  And if they stain the t-shirt themselves, clothing designer.  Where do you draw the line?  Should they process the cotton?  smile

Just being a devil's advocate.  smile  You know I don't hate ya, GB.

Jan 02 06 05:17 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

lll wrote:
You know I don't hate ya, GB.

Give it time and you will be joining that club probably smile

Jan 02 06 07:14 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
but my main question, again is,why do some people consider themselves a clothing designer when all they have is plain ordinary t shirts and such and they just slap their logo on it?

The first response I provided was facetious as I thought the question was the same.  But now that I see it wasn't, it goes to Marketing 101 and the importance of branding.  The branding statement sells more clothing than designs or comfort combined.

Jan 02 06 09:02 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Los Angeles, California, US

area291 wrote:
The first response I provided was facetious as I thought the question was the same.  But now that I see it wasn't, it goes to Marketing 101 and the importance of branding.  The branding statement sells more clothing than designs or comfort combined.

Whew! That was a fantastic answer.

Jan 02 06 09:28 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

area291 wrote:

I understand, people are suckers for logos, the clothing could be crap but if they like the logo and if the company represents itself just right it can make millions/billions just from a logo.
But I still dont see slapping a logo on something that is exactly like something else as clothing *design* lol.

Jan 03 06 06:09 am Link

Model

_Blip_

Tampa, Florida, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
But I still dont see slapping a logo on something that is exactly like something else as clothing *design* lol.

lol. Good thing some of us are a LOT more creative. I can't say I've ever designed a t-shirt! ;-)

Jan 03 06 08:48 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

I think generic clothing is for generic people.  I create all my own designs and use very small labels.  If you are interested in some very different stuff without big labels, checkout jdez.com , (or for men: jedz.com/men) *shamless self promotion*

Jan 03 06 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

GB
You're right,don't worry. Imprinted pieces (sometimes bagged as the "t-shirt and hat" market) are regarded very differently from cut-and-sew.
Alot of designers cut their teeth on imprinted stuff and some of it even makes boatloads of money, has really good graphic design and yes, it's part of the whole branding thing but nobody is putting that in the same category as building a piece from scratch.

Time for a green beer.

Mar 18 06 02:22 am Link

Photographer

The House of Lethal

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

the logo can be a piece of art in and of itself and people will often pay more to have it on items. i place my logo on certain products in order to advertise my company and maybe discourage imitators.

Mar 19 06 02:51 am Link

Clothing Designer

La Bella Femme Style

Modesto, California, US

A clothing designer is a well rounded person, they are multitalented in a since, they can draw, sew, market, create patterns, create original clothing.

Some dont realize the depth of this industry. you have to be dedicated, and hae a passion to be a designer.

Mar 19 06 05:04 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

SoVi-Southern Vitality

Houston, Texas, US

People do it cause they can. I hate that too more than anything!!! I know so many people who all of a sudden "have a clothing line". They don't even go so far as to employ REAL designers to sew for them-that would at least put some truth to the statement. You can really get away with that crap here in Houston. There are so many fly-by-night lines it stupid. There are only 2 schools here that have fashion design programs, but none of the local boutiques carry their clothing!! I design some of my own pieces but don't tell anyone I have a line cause I don't. I actually started with a line of shirts that were all original designs. From there I would make or alter the female shirts as I saw fit. I think if you're gonna do the shirt thing, call it what it is-a line of T-Shirts. Marc Ecko started with only 6 t-shirt designs (he was a graffitti artist) that sold over and over. THEN he became a fashion designer. But you can't tell some folks that cause they think you're being a hater and get offended so easily. I just sit back and watch them fail. hee hee

Mar 26 06 03:03 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

SoVi-Southern Vitality wrote:
People do it cause they can. I hate that too more than anything!!! I know so many people who all of a sudden "have a clothing line". They don't even go so far as to employ REAL designers to sew for them-that would at least put some truth to the statement. You can really get away with that crap here in Houston. There are so many fly-by-night lines it stupid. There are only 2 schools here that have fashion design programs, but none of the local boutiques carry their clothing!! I design some of my own pieces but don't tell anyone I have a line cause I don't. I actually started with a line of shirts that were all original designs. From there I would make or alter the female shirts as I saw fit. I think if you're gonna do the shirt thing, call it what it is-a line of T-Shirts. Marc Ecko started with only 6 t-shirt designs (he was a graffitti artist) that sold over and over. THEN he became a fashion designer. But you can't tell some folks that cause they think you're being a hater and get offended so easily. I just sit back and watch them fail. hee hee

I totally agree.

Mar 26 06 03:13 pm Link