Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Stupid ways to get hurt....

Photographer

Alexei Fomin

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

I've had a few. most intense probably was running in front of a cast iron swing (no chains, just a chair mounted on metal bars that pivoted) when i was 5 or 6 and getting hit by the solid metal foot bar in the face. This after i was told not to run because someone was swinging too high, 5 seconds prior.

Share your story, so we cal all laugh at one another

Jan 03 06 02:08 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I was hit in the face with a frisbee-like toy when I was 3.  I got 8 stitches, and I still have a scar running through my eyebrow.

But the stupid one was about a year later.  My brother (who was 7ish) was swinging from the top of a doorway and jumping onto my parent's bed.  It looked like fun, but when I tried, I didn't have the momentum, and I hit the iron bar at the foot of the bed in almost the exact same spot of my previous injury.  No stitches this time, but there is another scar running perpendicular to the older one.

Jan 03 06 02:26 am Link

Model

Brandy

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Running through my grandma's house when I was 7, tripped over a blanket laying on the floor and broke my wrist in two places.

Jumped off of a diving board sideways when I was 9, hit my face on the pool stairs... knocked myself out, bit the tip of my tongue off and bit straight through my lip... very, very small scar from that.

Got in a dumb fight with my friend Mike, yelled at him and left... fell down the stairs in the parking garage on the way out of the hotel we were partying in and broke my wrist (this was just this last summer).

Jan 03 06 02:30 am Link

Model

The_N_Word

New York, New York, US

Brandy wrote:
Running through my grandma's house when I was 7, tripped over a blanket laying on the floor and broke my wrist in two places.

Jumped off of a diving board sideways when I was 9, hit my face on the pool stairs... knocked myself out, bit the tip of my tongue off and bit straight through my lip... very, very small scar from that.

Got in a dumb fight with my friend Mike, yelled at him and left... fell down the stairs in the parking garage on the way out of the hotel we were partying in and broke my wrist (this was just this last summer).

hahahaahhaha....::wipes tears::

Goddamn...

Jan 03 06 02:35 am Link

Photographer

R. Olson (RO)

Seattle, Washington, US

Alexei Fomin wrote:
I've had a few. most intense probably was running in front of a cast iron swing (no chains, just a chair mounted on metal bars that pivoted) when i was 5 or 6 and getting hit by the solid metal foot bar in the face. This after i was told not to run because someone was swinging too high, 5 seconds prior.

Share your story, so we cal all laugh at one another

8 years old, sticking my foot down an old gas pipe in the yard...sinking to my thigh, having the fire department cut the pipe below my foot to get my shoe off.....later that night, running outside and smack into a tree branch with my eye. I think I was having a bad day that time. Oh this was a military base housing in KS. (Oddly enough two years after I moved, the house I grew up in was wiped out by a Tornado....so was half the base if I recall correctly)

Jan 03 06 02:39 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Does this mean there's a smart way to get hurt?

Jan 03 06 02:53 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Chip Morton wrote:
Does this mean there's a smart way to get hurt?

I'm positive I have long-term back pain from carrying around 50 pounds of textbooks all through high school.  And I still don't understand the slightest bit of calculus.

Jan 03 06 03:01 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

okay, this is the re-post of what I posted on an old thread, but this by far beats all dumb things I've ever done to get hurt:

I have a good one.

One morning I was trying to stretch my neck & upper-back by hanging my head off my bed.  I didn't quite feel enough stretch, so I came up with a smart idea that if hug my knees it will enhance the effect.  So I moved my knees up to my chest... and the second I did that, the center of mass shifted off the bed, I slid off from the bed.. HEAD FIRST.  I tried to tackle the situation by hand-standing, then curling off from the bed so I can safe-land like a gymnast without breaking my skull.  Note: I am NOT a gymnast.  I managed to support myself with my hands but was too late to prevent my head from slamming onto the floor, I lost balance, my body fell sideways into the corner of the bed-side table before I finally collapsed alltogether.

I SERIOUSLY cried... bawled... "ou(ch)....ou.... ou..." for like, 15 minutes and couldn't even explain what had happened to my husband when he came upstairs alarmed because I was in such pain.  I ended up with a MASSIVE tri-colored bruise on my inner left thigh, ugly green, purple, black, that took a full 2 weeks to fade.

I was always a cluts, but MAN, I really thought I was a RETARD when that happened.

Jan 03 06 05:57 am Link

Model

Dududnej384746

Pol-e H̱umrī, Baġlān, Afghanistan

i have a couple stupid stories, but hey, its me.

when i was 2/3 i chased my cat through a rose bush and i have a scar (small) running down the right side of my face

one time when i went skating with my friend i started walking along the ice on the pick of my skate and slipped and managed to break my wrist

the summer before i started grade 9 we had my older bro's birthday party, and i decided i wanted to swing from the pole (which happened to be square) i fell )it was amost 10 feet high where i fell) landed flat on my back, got up and started walking and then realized i broke my other wrist.

last story, it was the middle of the winter last year and iw as running after my friend to catch up with her and at the end we walk down a path down a small hill and it has a metal bar to hold onto because it's kind of steep, and lucky me managed to slide across the ice (the entire field was covered in it) and slide straight into thge metal pole. lucky me lol. luckily it was jsut me and her.

Jan 03 06 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

If anyone knows what a metal crimper is you will appreciate this one,lol.
There was a kid in shop class when I was in Junior high who was bending some sheet metal for a project we were assigned to do. He got his fingers under the crimper when not paying attention and all 4 fingers were badly broken. Horribly cracking noises followed by the most blood curdling screaming and cussing.

Anyway, someone who was not there that day happened to see the kid about 3 weeks later in his cast. The kid asked what he did and how it happened.
Well, the clutz went over to the crimper and proceeded to show him exactly how, and yep, you probably saw this comin, put his fingers under the crimper and REBROKE all 4!

Jan 03 06 08:37 am Link

Photographer

Carlton Primm

Dallas, Texas, US

True story:  I was about 13 and tried to light the fireplace with Gasoline (to do it quickly)  Singed my face.  It felt raw for about a week.

Used my Uncle's '66 Mustang as a sliding board when I was about 5.  I slid off the back and caught the back of my leg on a jagged piece of metal and ripped my leg about 6 inches on the backside.  (ouch)

Jan 03 06 08:47 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Oh, I also learned quickly not to look downward too fast when on the "upswing" end of a teeter totter. Fell off right onto the pavement"yep, the  days before woodchip and rubber playground flooring" scraped and pitting the whole left side of my face and busted my lip.I lived right across the street from the school on a street which went steeply down hill. Apparently I walked home on my own and to this day do not recall doing so.I remember getting into the house and crying like crazy though. I guess the adrenaline wore off.

Jan 03 06 08:51 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

If I tell some of mine.

Is there a prize?

Jan 03 06 08:53 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

MHana wrote:
If I tell some of mine.

Is there a prize?

we will try not to laugh and say stuff like " well, duh!"
How`s that smile

Jan 03 06 08:55 am Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

anyone ever see the police officer in penn. that was showing gun safety at an elementry school who shot himself in the leg while doing it?

Jan 03 06 08:57 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

we will try not to laugh and say stuff like " well, duh!"
How`s that smile

Okay since you made me laugh,  I will give you one.

Many young children ride double with one person on the handlebars while one is ridding the bike.

I tried to do this Alone,  and went straight into a tree.

Jan 03 06 08:58 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

The Don Mon wrote:
anyone ever see the police officer in penn. that was showing gun safety at an elementry school who shot himself in the leg while doing it?

Did he play it cool or WHAT?!
I woulda been whinin like a big wussy,lol

Jan 03 06 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

MHana wrote:
Okay since you made me laugh,  I will give you one.

Many young children ride double with one person on the handlebars while one is ridding the bike.

I tried to do this Alone,  and went straight into a tree.

wow, I made you laugh. Has that been done here before smile

you were riding the handlebars while on the bike alone? im tryin so hard to not break my promise here.

EDIT- Wait, I didnt say anything about giggles!
-giggles like mad-

Jan 03 06 09:01 am Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Did he play it cool or WHAT?!
I woulda been whinin like a big wussy,lol

yea he did but the funnier part was when he reached for another gun to continue an everyone ducked behind desk and started crying.....

Jan 03 06 09:04 am Link

Model

Dududnej384746

Pol-e H̱umrī, Baġlān, Afghanistan

lol i remember that. i think it was on ebaums world.

Jan 03 06 09:08 am Link

Photographer

Alexei Fomin

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

OK, this morning i thought it might be a good idea to act silly, run around the house, jump over things instead of walking around, etc. tried to jump over the rail at the bottom of the stairs, and also go over table next to the stairs at the same time, but forgot the ceiling is kinda not as far away there. currently have an imprint of the ceiling/wall corner on my forehead.

Jan 03 06 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Alexei Fomin wrote:
OK, this morning i thought it might be a good idea to act silly, run around the house, jump over things instead of walking around, etc. tried to jump over the rail at the bottom of the stairs, and also go over table next to the stairs at the same time, but forgot the ceiling is kinda not as far away there. currently have an imprint of the ceiling/wall corner on my forehead.

You jinxed yourself by starting this thread smile

Jan 03 06 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Alexei Fomin

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
You jinxed yourself by starting this thread smile

yeah but i still have plenty more stories.
2 winters ago when i had just gotten fired for the first time in my life, i was biking around trying to find a job. so i'm riding along the day after a good 6-8 inches of snow fell, with no breaks, trying to see if having less friction with the ground will allow me to move along faster. so i'm going through the target parking lot, and see a pick up that is apparently doing the same thing sort of. we're trying to make right turns into the same narrow passsage, and i slip on a patch of black ice and land under the truck, it proceeds to pass over me. i had to limp for about a mile and a half before i got a ride home, nothing was broken, but i limped for a couple days, and still occasionally do when the stress gets to me. moral of the story - if the breaks on your bike are fucked, you will be too.

Jan 03 06 11:37 am Link

Model

JulieB

New York, New York, US

Stormed out of a woman's party (I was supposed to be on a date with her, but she failed to mention her GIRLFRIEND, who was there). I fell down a long row of stairs on my way out. What's worse is she was chasing me, and then had to help me up at the bottom. Ugh. I had a bruise the size of a small pizza on my ass.

Jan 03 06 11:40 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I grew up in the days before seat belts.  My father had a tendency to slam on the brakes and I had a tendency to slam my head into the dashboard.  After two or three visits to the emergency room to have my head x-rayed, the doctor suggested a padded dash.  My dad dutifully bought a new car with one of those newfangled padded dashboards.

Of course, the dash may have been padded, but the brakes were just the same.  It wasn't too long before my dad took me back to the emergency room for x-rays once again.

This time, the doctor suggested that my father have me sit in the back seat.  We both thought it was a great idea and I was tired of hitting my head.  You guessed it, my father slammed on the brakes and I was thrown over the front seat into the dash.  But this time I hit my head harder because I was further away and hit the dash harder.

Then came the announcement of seatbelts.  Manufacturers were not installing belts in cars, but there were putting in mounting points so you could add them yourself.  My mom was due for a new car, so my dad handed his down and it was time for another upgrade.

I can remember going to the auto shop down the street.  There was this old guy, chewing tobacco and my dad tells him we want seatbelts.  He says:  "You want them?  They aren't gonna help!"

Of course, we thought he was a cratchety old guy, but he complied.  I remember watching him cut the holes in the carpet then lean out the window to spit from his chaw.

We got in the car and drove away and all was good.  Not long after we got the seatbelts, my dad slammed on the brakes and I was fine.  Boy, we felt safe.

My mom's car went in for service for one reason or another, so she drove my dad to work in his car and then picked me up from school.  On the way home, some kids ran out in front of the car and my mom (who was a much less abrupt driver than my father) was forced to slam on the brakes.

I think I hit my head harder than ever.  My mom was short and had pulled the seat up very close to the dash.  Because of the way I was sitting and the way the car was designed, I missed the padded part of the dash and hit some trim just below.  Because I was belted in, I bent more harshly at the waist and hit at a wierd angle.

You can believe when shoulder harnesses came out in 1967, my dad was one of the first to get a car with them.  I wonder if being hit on the head as many times as I was explains a bit about how I am today?

Jan 03 06 11:52 am Link

Model

Smith

New York, New York, US

Last week I poked myself in the eye with my toothbrush while I was still brushing my teeth.
Last year I was playing with liquid eyeliner and stopped paying attention...the brush-thing went into my eye and turned my entire eyeball black. It actually didn't hurt, but I started freaking out and grabbed something to rinse with and got the squeezable tartar sauce instead. (I was in the kitchen) Yeah, that hurt.
Yesterday I was shopping and hit my head with the plastic hanger, got my hair tangled in the clothes rack, and ran straight into a door.

Jan 03 06 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Lance Nichols

Markham, Ontario, Canada

One of the dumbest things (in hind sight) was opening a package of frozen wieners with a somewhat dull kitchen knife.

*squick factor ahead*

Package opened ok, but could not get the two wieners I wanted to break loose from the frozen mass off proto-hot dogs. Picked knife back up and proceeded to attempt to wedge said wieners apart. wieners separated form rest of package, knife did not stop until reaching the other side of my hand. I glanced down, said ouch, reflexively sucked blood out of the area and noted that I could see bones, etc. Calmly decided it was time to make a trip to emergency ward. Informed parental units... father was OK, ex paramedic/firefighter, mother freaked out. Now this is the FUNNY part. I walked out to the minivan under my own steam, but was called back to the house to sit and wait for my health care card. I don't remember that, next thing I remember is my dad looking down at me holding the field dressing I had applied onto my cut and asking if I was ok. I mumbled something and he mentioned I passed out from shock/blood loss. To which I replied... F*CK my knees hurt. First time I swore in front of parents. Compared to my hand, man did they ever hurt!

I now carry a 2-3" scar on my "cursed" hand  between thumb and index finger, apparently having missed both the radial arteries by less the an inch either way. HA HA the doc never mentioned THAT while sewing my back up. Had to perform my lifeguard duties for the next month with a bag wrapped around my hand.

L

Jan 03 06 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Raleesha wrote:
Last week I poked myself in the eye with my toothbrush while I was still brushing my teeth.
Last year I was playing with liquid eyeliner and stopped paying attention...the brush-thing went into my eye and turned my entire eyeball black. It actually didn't hurt, but I started freaking out and grabbed something to rinse with and got the squeezable tartar sauce instead. (I was in the kitchen) Yeah, that hurt.
Yesterday I was shopping and hit my head with the plastic hanger, got my hair tangled in the clothes rack, and ran straight into a door.

You poor thing, im sittin her chucklin my butt of cause I so can see you doing all this, knowing your silly self smile But really, it all had to suck! -hug-

Jan 03 06 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Lance Nichols

Markham, Ontario, Canada

Raleesha wrote:

I should not laugh, poor you... can I chuckle or at least continue to smile?

Jan 03 06 12:14 pm Link

Model

Brandy

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

My friend Mike and i have a tendency to get into these verbal fights, most of the time ending up in one of us leaving the area until we've cooled off. One night we got into an argument and he flew out of his own apartment (rather drunk) and his wife and I stayed inside. We hear a yelp of a pain come from this big guy and ran outside to see what happened.... we live in the desert... with cactuses... from his story, he was walking along and fell over into the cactus. The neighbor said that he saw Mike stumbling down the sidewalk, then he just stopped, sat down and put his arm straight back into the cactus. Either way, we spent the next half hour pulling the little needles out of his arm, hand, and armpit.

Jan 03 06 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Allen Phillips

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
I grew up in the days before seat belts.  My father had a tendency to slam on the brakes and I had a tendency to slam my head into the dashboard.  After two or three visits to the emergency room to have my head x-rayed, the doctor suggested a padded dash.  My dad dutifully bought a new car with one of those newfangled padded dashboards.

Of course, the dash may have been padded, but the brakes were just the same.  It wasn't too long before my dad took me back to the emergency room for x-rays once again.

This time, the doctor suggested that my father have me sit in the back seat.  We both thought it was a great idea and I was tired of hitting my head.  You guessed it, my father slammed on the brakes and I was thrown over the front seat into the dash.  But this time I hit my head harder because I was further away and hit the dash harder.

Then came the announcement of seatbelts.  Manufacturers were not installing belts in cars, but there were putting in mounting points so you could add them yourself.  My mom was due for a new car, so my dad handed his down and it was time for another upgrade.

I can remember going to the auto shop down the street.  There was this old guy, chewing tobacco and my dad tells him we want seatbelts.  He says:  "You want them?  They aren't gonna help!"

Of course, we thought he was a cratchety old guy, but he complied.  I remember watching him cut the holes in the carpet then lean out the window to spit from his chaw.

We got in the car and drove away and all was good.  Not long after we got the seatbelts, my dad slammed on the brakes and I was fine.  Boy, we felt safe.

My mom's car went in for service for one reason or another, so she drove my dad to work in his car and then picked me up from school.  On the way home, some kids ran out in front of the car and my mom (who was a much less abrupt driver than my father) was forced to slam on the brakes.

I think I hit my head harder than ever.  My mom was short and had pulled the seat up very close to the dash.  Because of the way I was sitting and the way the car was designed, I missed the padded part of the dash and hit some trim just below.  Because I was belted in, I bent more harshly at the waist and hit at a wierd angle.

You can believe when shoulder harnesses came out in 1967, my dad was one of the first to get a car with them.  I wonder if being hit on the head as many times as I was explains a bit about how I am today?

Damn!
Have you ever thought that your parents just might not like you very much?

Jan 03 06 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

was drunk once hit my self in the face with a base ball bat

Jan 03 06 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

photoguy42

Toledo, Ohio, US

Just look at the incident report at my last job...my coworker had a whole pile of them that all oozed "Future darwin award winner".

Jan 03 06 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

JulieB wrote:
Ugh. I had a bruise the size of a small pizza on my ass.

What kind of toppings?  :-D

When I was 10, my uncle got married at my grandparents' home.  The whole place was done up in candles.  After the ceremony part of my job was helping put them all out.  There was a large 3-wick candle on top of the mantle.  I got up on a stool, and realized the wicks were too far down to blow across it, so I leaned over and blew down IN to the candle.  Hot wax sprayed up all over one side of my face and I fell backwards off the stool & concussed myself on the coffee table.

Did I mention that "Phantom of the Opera" is one of my favorite movies??  ;-)

Jan 03 06 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Allen Phillips

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

I've hurt myself in more dumb ways than I care to remember. Most recently, and photography wise, I'd have to say nearly breaking my ankle on a light stand while shooting this photo...
http://www.myluckylife.com/mllblog/inde … owimage=50
Funny thing is I had the self timer set AND had the remote release locked so that the camera took a photo every ten seconds or so. So I actually got a before and after photo of my dumbness... http://www.myluckylife.com/mllblog/inde … owimage=49

That'll learn me!

Jan 03 06 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Alexei Fomin

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

walked into an ice fishing hole when i was 7 or 8 and i believe it was around 40 below that winter. didn't care about anything besides whether or not i get fed ice cream when we get home.

Jan 03 06 12:31 pm Link

Model

StaciF

New York, New York, US

Climbing down to a waterfall last october- got hit with a rock and ended up with 10 stitches in my right wrist.........and NO good pictures sad

Jan 03 06 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Do not like a pole in the winter.

Jan 03 06 12:33 pm Link

Model

Smith

New York, New York, US

Leaf in the Wind wrote:

I should not laugh, poor you... can I chuckle or at least continue to smile?

Oh feel free to laugh, I do...lol

Jan 03 06 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

Lance Nichols

Markham, Ontario, Canada

Raleesha wrote:

Oh feel free to laugh, I do...lol

Thank you!

*giggles*
*guffaws*

Jan 03 06 12:49 pm Link