Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Why don't they make left handed cameras?

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

It occurs to me with all the issues in the world, this serious one is being left out.  They make left handed golf clubs.  What about all of the people coming back from the war missing a limb?  How about those that have challenged dexterity?

We talk about so many unimportant issues here on MM, I can't believe that we have ignored something so important.  There may be a lot of reasons for such an important oversight.

I personally think it is a conspiracy by some radical wildcatters to keep the price of bio-diesel high to stop it from impacting the world markets.

However, I have heard others say that there is a concern by conservative wine makers that offering left handed cameras would adversely affect the market for two buck chuck.

I would really like to understand this and perhaps others have ideas.  Maybe we should form a blue ribbon commission to study this?

Jan 03 06 11:08 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Well of course the main issue is costs. But ya know, I do think some sort of adaptor or something should be designed to enable someone to use their left hand for the controls which would normally need the right hand.dammit now I have to get out my paper and pencils.

Jan 03 06 11:10 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
Well of course the main issue is costs. But ya know, I do think some sort of adaptor or something should be designed to enable someone to use their left hand for the controls which would normally need the right hand.dammit now I have to get out my paper and pencils.

Damn, a serious answer to a frivilous question.  You must really be trying to avoid finishing that website.

Jan 03 06 11:12 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:

Damn, a serious answer to a frivilous question.  You must really be trying to avoid finishing that website.

I can chat while stuff is loading,lol.But this seems to be a case of fix one thing, another thing breaks,lol.

Jan 03 06 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Harrison Sweazea

Jefferson City, Missouri, US

I'm left handed, but I don't feel uncomfortable in the least with where the controls are. Now, if my right have were missing, there'd be a problem...good question.

Jan 03 06 11:15 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

I can chat while stuff is loading,lol.But this seems to be a case of fix one thing, another thing breaks,lol.

You need to find your PHP guy to come to the rescue.

Now let's get back to left handed cameras and right handed websites.

Jan 03 06 11:18 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Im surprised no one has come up with a universal pistol grip-like control which would allow people to use the camera with either hand.

Jan 03 06 11:20 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Harrison Sweazea wrote:
I'm left handed, but I don't feel uncomfortable in the least with where the controls are. Now, if my right have were missing, there'd be a problem...good question.

Actually, I can tell you are left handed by looking at this image from your profile:

https://img1.modelmayhem.com/060101/22/43b8a5eb25447.jpg

The model seems to be offended that you are struggling with the controls because of your left handed condition.  What did you do to prepare the model for this?

For the record, I am Ambidextrous.  That means I am equally incapable with either hand.

Jan 03 06 11:23 am Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Leitz Camera (Leica) made LEFT HANDED releases for the IIIC/IIIF/IIIG Screw Mount cameras and also the M2 and M3 back in the late 1940`s to the mid 60`s

Jan 03 06 11:30 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
Im surprised no one has come up with a universal pistol grip-like control which would allow people to use the camera with either hand.

Actually, as I think of it, back in the days of my Pentax LX system, I had a flash bracket with a pistol grip and a shutter release.  It could be set up left handed or right handed.

The problem is that most of the newer cameras are not set up to use a cable release, but many have a receptacle to plug in a remote.  There is no reason that someone couldn't make a universal pistol grip like that and simply offer brand dependend cables to hook them up.

Good point.  I often hold my camera with one hand a reflector with another.  I would think for a left handed person it would be easier to keep the camera steady with his left hand.

Jan 03 06 11:37 am Link

Photographer

EdBPhotography

Torrance, California, US

Last I heard, only about 10% of the population is left handed.  Therefore, it would be safe to assume that us lefties will usually only be considered by left handed inventors/designers.  For someone who is looking at the bottom line however, if only 10% of your potential customers need to use a little added dexterity, then it's probably just not worth the extra time, money and effort to adjust for them. 

At least we're in our right minds though.  smile

Jan 03 06 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

This doesn't apply to me, since I go both ways, but it sounds like you lefties need to start recruiting for equality.

Jan 03 06 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

banghead

Jan 03 06 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

This doesn't apply to me, since I go both ways, but it sounds like you lefties need to start recruiting for equality.

So you're bi-handed?

Jan 03 06 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I wish they made more left-eyed camera gear, particularly vertical grips.  I suppose left-handed people could use them, too, but I'm more important than they are.  Who cares about those sinister bastards?

Jan 03 06 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Harrison Sweazea

Jefferson City, Missouri, US

Actually, I can tell you are left handed by looking at this image from your profile:

https://img1.modelmayhem.com/060101/22/43b8a5eb25447.jpg

The model seems to be offended that you are struggling with the controls because of your left handed condition.  What did you do to prepare the model for this?

I did a family shoot that day, full of incorrigible kids smile Out of that entire shoot that day, she was the most agreeable model I had!! :LOL:

Jan 03 06 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

DigitalCMH wrote:

So you're bi-handed?

Yes I am, I always make a stir when I lecture at a blackboard (oops, whiteboard these days).  I instinctively write with whichever hand is more convenient.

So I will be writing something with my right hand but want to get out of the way so people can see what I am writing and I will change to my left in mid-sentence.  I always get some pretty wierd stares (but then there are those who say I am a pretty wierd guy).

Jan 03 06 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Well, it would seem that the biased camera manufacturers are against minorities (lefties).  The bastards...

I'm ambidextrous as well (which means I'm both a part of the conspiracy against lefties yet a victim, too), but I find that I am more comfortable focusing with my left hand than my right.  Hold and push the shutter with the right; zoom/focus/steady with the left.  If they made lefty cameras, I wouldn't be anymore inclined to buy it because it would interfere with that.

Oddly, I always use my left eye to view.  It would be nice if some of these biased cameras would compensate...

Jan 04 06 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

I just realised  use my left eye too...

weird...(i before e except after c.... oh I don't know!)

Yeah, I am also left handed,

Star

Jan 04 06 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

LaMarco Photography

Somersworth, New Hampshire, US

Because we like to watch left handed people do thing upside down.

It is sort of like watching a monkey use a stick to eat termites.. LOL

I bet if you could create an extention of some sort, you could make a killing..

Jan 04 06 03:32 pm Link