Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > sexual / mental abuse

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

why has it become such a silent epidemic???

Jan 05 06 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

BCG wrote:

Because people don't know better. They end up in the same type of relationships/situations that they saw their parents act out.

Jan 05 06 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

ELANFOTOS

Miami, Florida, US

awwww.. sh**, i thought i you were handing some out here.... oh well

Jan 05 06 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

RnL Photography

Cocoa, Florida, US

being a ex cop, I can tell you a person can may be removed 7 times (normaly) from a abusive situation befor they actully leave, if they live that long. They want to think the best(they will change) of the other person.
It is also a security issue. (what I know is less scarey thaen the unknown.)
Mental abuse can be done so subtilly that you do not know what is happening. I became suacidel befor I relised there was a problem.
sorry about the spelling errors.
I hzd to become a cop to find out I was being abused.

Jan 05 06 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

RnL Photography

Cocoa, Florida, US

Hay BCC after seeing your port, I have to ask, have you been there?

Jan 05 06 08:45 pm Link

Model

Kayeanda

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

Its hasnt "become" such a Silent Epidemic..its always been a Silent Epidemic. If you ask me, I would say that people are more open about it now a days and theres more awareness.
There are Support Groups for people, and all kinds of things, that there werent ..say like 30 years ago.

And Im just curious as to why you would even post this topic on MM, I mean seriously, I know that you can talk about whatever, but this sort of topic just sort of goes overboard.
There are several places online, and forums that specifically discuss this situation and many like it.

Jan 05 06 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Because abuse is pernicious and cumulative.  The abused don't realize that they're in trouble until it's too late (if they ever do.)

Jan 05 06 08:54 pm Link

Model

Kayeanda

Okay...so far I have seen people respond but its like there talking about Physical abuse.
Im seeing alot of..."they dont realize it until its too late"  How does that relate to Sexual Abuse?? People being sexualy abused realize it.

I can see that relating to Mental Abuse, in a way, which is actually Verbal Abuse.

SEXUAL ABUSE IS NOT A SILENT EPIDEMIC IN ANYWAY.
MENTAL ABUSE (BETTER KNOWN AS VERBAL ABUSE) IS SOMEWHAT SILENT.

PHYSICAL ABUSE, EVEN, IS NOT A SILENT EPIDEMIC, NOT LIKE YOU GUYS THINK, ITS NOT SILENT LIKE IT USE TO BE, AND IS LESS OF AN EPIDEMIC THAN IT USE TO BE.

Jan 05 06 09:01 pm Link

Model

Kayeanda

William Kious wrote:
Because abuse is pernicious and cumulative.  The abused don't realize that they're in trouble until it's too late (if they ever do.)

i think your referring to physical abuse, and the abused do realize there being abused, they just simply become scared, because they know how hard it is to persecute someone for beating them, and there scared that when its all said and done, the other person comes after them and possibly kills them. when people go to court for beating people, they dont exactly get life, so theres no saying that when they get they wont go after the person with some sort of vendetta. and thats how most people in those situations feel.

Jan 05 06 09:05 pm Link

Model

Kayeanda

OH AND I JUST WANT TO RESTATE THAT I DONT THINK THIS IS THE RIGHT PLACE FOR THIS SORT OF POST.

*even though i replied, im outspoken and cant help it, but regardless of that, the obvious was stated, this post should be taken down*

Jan 05 06 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

its not

its just the latest 'fad' problem

Jan 05 06 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

i am convinced that mothers are responsible for just as much damage to their daughters as any stoopid ass frat boy or baboon jock.

Jan 05 06 09:20 pm Link

Model

Earth Angel 555

Los Angeles, California, US

BCG wrote:

its slient because its hard to express and its hard for people to relate when they didnt go through it.. I went through it.. i express it with close loved ones, family and friends, but its nothing that should be discussed openly or else you look like a fool sometimes.

Jan 05 06 09:29 pm Link

Model

Kayeanda

BCG wrote:
i am convinced that mothers are responsible for just as much damage to their daughters as any stoopid ass frat boy or baboon jock.

What does this have to do with you asking , why its such a "silent epidemic"?

And so if a Girl gets raped by some "stupid ass frat boy", then her mother is part the blame?? Thats the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Oh and of course every girl or guy, who falls in love with the love of there life who turns out to be an abusive prick that beats her. Well of course her Mother is partially the blame in that situation too?

Thats dumb and stupid and god knows what else. "Mothers" or "Parents" are not responsible for there daughters having a guy who beats her. They dont choose who she falls for. They dont make her too scared to go to the police. In what way would the mother or parents be responsible for that? What , I suppose your going to say that the girl was raised by a mother who was beat and therefore thats all she knows?? That stupid and is not necessarily, and actually in most cases isnt the case at all. Theres a think called Free Will and choosing the way you feel. If the girl is getting beat , and she is too scared to go to someone, it has nothing to do with her mother, because i can garuntee you that her mother is that last person on her mind. It has to do with the fact that shes scared for her life.

Please tell me how your "convinced" , because I am dying to know.

Jan 05 06 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Kayeanda wrote:
i think your referring to physical abuse, and the abused do realize there being abused, they just simply become scared, because they know how hard it is to persecute someone for beating them, and there scared that when its all said and done, the other person comes after them and possibly kills them. when people go to court for beating people, they dont exactly get life, so theres no saying that when they get they wont go after the person with some sort of vendetta. and thats how most people in those situations feel.

You don't know how "most people" feel.  Victims of abuse experience a very wide range of emotions and symptoms.

Kayeanda wrote:
Okay...so far I have seen people respond but its like there talking about Physical abuse.  Im seeing alot of..."they dont realize it until its too late"  How does that relate to Sexual Abuse?? People being sexualy abused realize it.

Are you trying to say that a very small child realizes that he/she is being sexually abused?  Rape can happen within a marriage - do you think the woman will view forced sex as such if it's her husband doing it?

Kayeanda wrote:
I can see that relating to Mental Abuse, in a way, which is actually Verbal Abuse.

Mental abuse can take many forms - it's not limited to verbal abuse.

Kayeanda wrote:
SEXUAL ABUSE IS NOT A SILENT EPIDEMIC IN ANYWAY.
MENTAL ABUSE (BETTER KNOWN AS VERBAL ABUSE) IS SOMEWHAT SILENT.

First... stop yelling (using all caps).  Second... why not do a little Internet research.  Sexual, physical and verbal abuse is grossly under-reported.

Kayeanda wrote:
PHYSICAL ABUSE, EVEN, IS NOT A SILENT EPIDEMIC, NOT LIKE YOU GUYS THINK, ITS NOT SILENT LIKE IT USE TO BE, AND IS LESS OF AN EPIDEMIC THAN IT USE TO BE.

Physical abuse is reported far less than it used to be.  Why?  Because of new domestic abuse laws.  If someone calls the cops on a domestic - in most states - someone is going to jail.  Period.  Women won't call the police because they don't want the bread winner to go to jail (and consequently losing his job.)

Kayeanda wrote:
OH AND I JUST WANT TO RESTATE THAT I DONT THINK THIS IS THE RIGHT PLACE FOR THIS SORT OF POST.

*even though i replied, im outspoken and cant help it, but regardless of that, the obvious was stated, this post should be taken down*

As far as I know, this sub-forum is as good a place as any to discuss the topic (it was placed properly).

In fact, from what you've posted here, you're grossly misinformed about the topic.  If you are a victim of abuse, I'm deeply sorry - but I think you're letting your anger cloud your judgement.

Jan 05 06 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

And so if a Girl gets raped by some "stupid ass frat boy", then her mother is part the blame?? Thats the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

no...mothers have done JUST as much to damage to a womans psyche as any stoopid ass frat fuck...comments such as..."you look like a whore" do nothing to build a young womans sense self worth.

Jan 05 06 09:40 pm Link

Model

Kayeanda

William Kious wrote:
In fact, from what you've posted here, you're grossly misinformed about the topic.  If you are a victim of abuse, I'm deeply sorry - but I think you're letting your anger cloud your judgement.

FIRST OFF IM NOT YELLING...lol

As far as how people feel, Im speaking in broad terms, and your right , I dont "know" how most people feel, except for the fact that I work with people in these situations, so I know what Im talking about.

And no, a child doesnt realize he/she is being abused. I wasnt talking about children, most of my references were about Marriage. And I was speaking broadly again, Im not going to be specific.
And yes a married women does recognize forced sex as rape, but just like the reference you later made, shes just scared to send the "bread winner" to jail.

Mental abuse can take on many forms, in the medical world tough, its mostly considered Verbal Abuse, and thats what I was referring to.

And I dont need to do a little Internet research, because only in certain areas is it "grossly" unreported, alot of times in larger poppulated areas. But in a lot of other cities, its NOT under-reported.

As far as where this forum was posted...everyone has there opinions...but this is a Modeling Website, okay? And thankfully since I posted that, I recieved Several emails from people who agree this isnt the right place for this particular topic.
And i know for a fact that Im not misinformed about this topic, I work with people who suffer from abuse of all kinds, its what I do , and its what I study.

And just because our opinions differ, doesnt mean that I am mis-informed.

Jan 05 06 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

(sigh)

Controversial topics that are deliberately started just to cause heated debate are about as entertaining as a Certified Public Accountant Convention.

Jan 05 06 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

if you make the subject taboo, victims will continue to suffer...this is the perfect forum for a discussion on the matter.

Jan 05 06 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:
(sigh)

Controversial topics that are deliberately started just to cause heated debate are about as entertaining as a Certified Public Accountant Convention.

how is abuse a controversial topic???

Jan 05 06 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

BCG wrote:

how is abuse a controversial topic???

Does this thread qualifies as mental abuse?

Jan 05 06 09:56 pm Link

Model

Kayeanda

BCG wrote:

no...mothers have done JUST as much to damage to a womans psyche as any stoopid ass frat fuck...comments such as..."you look like a whore" do nothing to build a young womans sense self worth.

If thats the situation, then yes your right the mother did contribute alot. But just be specific next time and list an example , such as this one.

But I will say that just because a womans self worth is tainted, doesnt mean that she will "let" someone rape her. She may simply not have the strength like others to address the situation with others.

Jan 05 06 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Kayeanda wrote:
And I dont need to do a little Internet research, because only in certain areas is it "grossly" unreported, alot of times in larger poppulated areas. But in a lot of other cities, its NOT under-reported.

Urban areas tend to have better rates of report than rural areas.  In urban areas, more resources (law enforcement and support services) are allocated to combating abuse.  There's more of a stigma associated with abuse in rural areas.

Kayeanda wrote:
And just because our opinions differ, doesnt mean that I am mis-informed.

Sorry, but I still think you are misinformed.  It has nothing to do with opinion.

Jan 05 06 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Marksora wrote:

Does this thread qualifies as mental abuse?

no, past fart threads would, but not this subject.

Jan 05 06 10:03 pm Link

Model

Kayeanda

William Kious wrote:

Kayeanda wrote:

Urban areas tend to have better rates of report than rural areas.  In urban areas, more resources (law enforcement and support services) are allocated to combating abuse.  There's more of a stigma associated with abuse in rural areas.

Sorry, but I still think you are misinformed.  It has nothing to do with opinion.

Well Umm...I will let "you- the photographer" continue to have the "opinion" that I am misinformed. And when someone decides to open up a topic about lawyers, i will let you be the one to tell the lawyer that he doesnt know how to do his job.
Until its "your" job to deal with people who are going through and have been through abusive, etc situations, then you may continue to be misinformed as well.

Jan 05 06 10:05 pm Link

Model

Kayeanda

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:
(sigh)

Yes it is entertaining ..lol..I have to admit that Im enjoying the challenge that Im getting from William.
Even though it does get a little annoying being told that Im "mis informed" when I do this for a living, and Im VERY good at my job...lol

Jan 05 06 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Kayeanda wrote:
Well Umm...I will let "you- the photographer" continue to have the "opinion" that I am misinformed. And when someone decides to open up a topic about lawyers, i will let you be the one to tell the lawyer that he doesnt know how to do his job.  Until its "your" job to deal with people who are going through and have been through abusive, etc situations, then you may continue to be misinformed as well.

There's no challenge... When you're wrong, you're wrong.  You're 19 years old.  You're not a lawyer and there's no possible way you have the education or experience to deal with abuse cases.  What qualifications do you have?  What training?  What degrees do you hold?  Are you a member of any board-certified organizations that deal with abuse?  What research have you done in the field?  Have you worked a job that required you to respond to crisis/abuse situations?  Have you been a victim of abuse?  No?

There's a difference between opinion and real-world experience/knowledge.  I won't stick up for you - or support faulty, unsupported reasoning - just because you're pretty.

Jan 05 06 11:42 pm Link

Model

Kayeanda

William Kious wrote:
There's no challenge... When you're wrong, you're wrong.  You're 19 years old.  You're not a lawyer and there's no possible way you have the education or experience to deal with abuse cases.  What qualifications do you have?  What training?  What degrees do you hold?  Are you a member of any board-certified organizations that deal with abuse?  What research have you done in the field?  Have you worked a job that required you to respond to crisis/abuse situations?  Have you been a victim of abuse?  No?

There's a difference between opinion and real-world experience/knowledge.  I won't stick up for you - or support faulty, unsupported reasoning - just because you're pretty.

Okay I had to edit this like 2 times..lol.
I dont have to explain myself to you. PERIOD Age and beauty has nothing to do with it.
I KNOW what Im talking about...I have experience..I do work with a certified organization. You can continue to think that you know everything and I know nothing. But I know your wrong. PERIOD.
Its close minded, judegmental people, like you, that light up my day, and remind me of how glad I am to be the person I am.

Jan 06 06 12:42 am Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

BCG wrote:

Current developement theory says that women often base their choice of men on their fathers. Women with abusive fathers, distant fathers, loving fathers, and so forth tend to go for men that somehow reflect these issues.

That being said, girls also model their behavior on that of their mother. Mother's who put up with abuse are more likely to have children who put up with abuse as well.

This is why most pschologists say the best thing you can do with your children is to model loving and supportive behavior with your spouse or signifigant other AND your children.

Jan 06 06 01:15 am Link

Photographer

MWPortraits

Kansas City, Missouri, US

As someone who came thru past abuse of the psycological, physical, and sexual kind, I feel qualified to answer your question...lol.

I left my 'family' when I was 15. I'm 21 now, so I've been out of the situation for 6 years. I'd run away 9 times before 'I finally got away', as I call it, but was always brought back into the 'home'. My mother and step father were very active in the church, and people quite frequently saw the signs of abuse. Heck, when a 12 year old comes to church 25 lbs underweight, bruised, and always forbidden interaction with other kids, it's pretty easy to see that something isn't right. Soon after I stopped myself from strangling myself with an extention cord, I became one of those few kids who begged for help, but things didn't change because no one acted.

A couple of years after I left that situation, and that part of the country, I asked a couple of people why they didn't do anything, even though I asked for help, even thought they saw the abuse, and their reason was fear. They were afraid to do something.

Fear is such a powerful emotion. I strongly believe it's the root of all abuse, not only for the abused to not leave, but for the abuser to act the way they do. Abuse is a form of control, and a loss of control creates, at least in me, a fear of not being able to manage certain situations. It's also what causes grown adults to lower their eyes, turn their heads, and walk away.

I had to do a lot of soul searching in order to forgive my abusers, and the people who turn their heads. I still struggle sometimes with my temper, and I'm still afraid to have children, even though I know my relationship with my husband is healthy, supportive, and loving, and he'd be there to keep me grounded. But someone has to break the cycle, and I'm working on becoming someone who's strong enough to do that.

My only advice is this: Don't let fear stop you from potentially saving someone's life. There are a LOT of children out there that don't come out of the situation well adjusted, or come out of the situation at all. My childhood was horrible, and terrifying, but I'm alive now, which is more than I can say for the hundreds upon hundreds of people that die each year as a direct result from abuse, or from the residual effects of abuse which lead to them taking their own life.

Big hug to you all for caring. I don't share my experiences very often, so this is pretty emotionally draining for me.

Mary

Jan 06 06 01:28 am Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

Just to give you hope, my wife was a victim of abuse as a child. She recognized it, dealt with it and is doing a wonderful job with our daughters. She catches herself sometimes, repeating patterns, but in her vigilance she recognizes problems in her reactions before they ever come out. It is possible to break the cycle, as long as you remain aware.

Jan 06 06 01:57 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Kayeanda wrote:
Okay I had to edit this like 2 times..lol.
I dont have to explain myself to you. PERIOD Age and beauty has nothing to do with it.
I KNOW what Im talking about...I have experience..I do work with a certified organization. You can continue to think that you know everything and I know nothing. But I know your wrong. PERIOD.
Its close minded, judegmental people, like you, that light up my day, and remind me of how glad I am to be the person I am.

I never said that you didn't know anything - I simply questioned your declarations of skill, training and experience in reference to abuse.  You can make all of the pejorative statements about me that you wish – it won’t make your personal fiction a reality.  So far, you haven't said anything that would lead me to believe you.  *shrugs*

As for you passing judgment on me, that's just fine.  I'm not the one making the wild claims.  I think it's funny that you immediately turn to calling me closed minded and judgmental because you can't come up with anything solid to back your argument.  Typical.  Have you got anything more substantial than "I'm rubber and you're glue"?  Someone with your worldly knowledge and experience should be able to surpass assumption and word-of-mouth.

By the way, when using the conjunctive form of "you are" the accepted standard is "you're".  Apostrophes are important from time-to-time.  Oh, wait... I suppose it's small minded and judgmental of me to point that out.  Sorry.

Jan 06 06 10:18 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

MEWanoDesigns wrote:
A couple of years after I left that situation, and that part of the country, I asked a couple of people why they didn't do anything, even though I asked for help, even thought they saw the abuse, and their reason was fear. They were afraid to do something.

That fear of "getting involved" can be very powerful.  What happens if I step in?  What could happen to me?  You are absolutely right about fear driving and motivating the cycle of abuse.

MEWanoDesigns wrote:
I had to do a lot of soul searching in order to forgive my abusers, and the people who turn their heads. I still struggle sometimes with my temper, and I'm still afraid to have children, even though I know my relationship with my husband is healthy, supportive, and loving, and he'd be there to keep me grounded. But someone has to break the cycle, and I'm working on becoming someone who's strong enough to do that.

Don't be afraid of having kids.  Don't let the fear win.  I see things a lot differently now that I have a child of my own.  For the most part, it makes me wonder how anyone could hurt a child.

MEWanoDesigns wrote:
Big hug to you all for caring. I don't share my experiences very often, so this is pretty emotionally draining for me.

Thank you.  smile

Jan 06 06 10:29 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

I'm only going to say this once, so listen up:

First: if we can speak like adults and treat the subject with respect, the off topic forum on this MODELING site, is an okay venue to post these kinds of topics.

Second:

I was verbally and physically abused by my stepmother as a child.

I will say that my childhood experiences have probably made me a better mom. I think before I speak and I try to find ways to praise my daughter. Yes, I discipline, but I rarely ever need to spank her. She's not spoiled, but the punishments are never severe.

I don't see myself as a victim. My situation is not severe, and I do realize that there are women out there afraid for their and their children's lives. And they have every right to be. But they have to know that by staying.....they are putting themselves in more danger than if they left. It's scary to leave and start over with nothing. I did it twice in my life. It's worth it. And there is help.

Jan 06 06 10:41 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

i am so concerned for this new generation...add neglect into the equation and the pharmacutical companies will enjoy profitable growth with all the promises of happiness in pill format.

Jan 06 06 10:57 am Link

Model

Lady Bronze

Los Angeles, California, US

Probably shame.

I have counselled women who were abused, all kinds of abuse..but who chose to stay for what they called "love"..

when it all came down to the black and white reasons..it was usually ALWAYS comfortability in the financial situation.

Many times, women in such situations lose interest in being independant, productive members of society.

The human brain is very susceptible to the powers of suggestion. Years of mental and physical abuse can severly alter one's thoughts on thier own self worth.

They begin to think they are useless, untintelligent, undesireable, not good enough..etc..

and consequently rely on the abusers providings..the home, the car, the money.

Sad, but in many cases, true..especially when there are children involved.

Jan 06 06 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:
(sigh)

HEY!! My cousins a CPA, i'm "offended." lol

Lady Bronze... BINGO!!!

Jan 07 06 08:45 am Link

Photographer

T H Taylor

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

By the way, when using the conjunctive form of "you are" the accepted standard is "you're".  Apostrophes are important from time-to-time.  Oh, wait... I suppose it's small minded and judgmental of me to point that out.  Sorry.

Not small minded and judgemental.... Just  annoyingly pedantic.

Jan 07 06 10:10 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

T H Taylor wrote:
Not small minded and judgemental.... Just  annoyingly pedantic.

You know what I find alarming?  No one outside of literature/English studies - and I mean no one - used the word "pedantic" until it was used on Family Guy.  Kudos to Peter Griffen.

Jan 08 06 10:43 pm Link

Model

Megan Zwicker

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

the latest fad problem???

Chili wrote:
its not

its just the latest 'fad' problem

Jan 09 06 10:20 pm Link