Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Don't fly Northwest or United!

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
This is what happens...

https://www.pbprophoto.net/photos/_W3Q2713.jpg

...when you let rappers fly your planes.  tongue

https://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00006JJ51.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

that looks like the detroit hub

Jan 08 06 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Aimercat wrote:

Consider me one with a broomstick then because I'm going to be quite the little witch with Northwest until they appease me.

This whole thread brings up an interesting concept to me, but I'll get in to that in a minute.

Firstly, Amy...this isn't a unique or terrible experience that you've documented.  Some of the highlights of the airline's exemplary service: They moved the family around after your yelling tirade instead of telling you to sit down and shut up, and even though you had a yelling tirade in which you made physically and verbally threatening moves at other passengers, they did not have you arrested at the next airport, or throw you off the plane;  Similarly they somehow managed to quiet down the five screaming kids and the three idiot adults on the plane, including yourself; also they managed to keep track of your belongings even though you left them behind and managed to help you find them in timely enough a manner that you didn't miss your next flight despite your inappropriate attire for travel and your lack of forethought.

Yes they missed their opportunity to go above and beyond, by notifying you that you were setting down 30 minutes late.  Guess why...because they were dealing with those screaming kids and stupid adults.  There are what...three people to cater to 200?  In a restaurant that's called being in the weeds, and the hostesses would stop seating.

United is by far one of the best customer service set of people in the airline industry left...they still have the old world customer comes first attitude on a much more regular basis than any other airline.  You want to see bad airline service? Look at America West (who has now unfortunately merged with my favorite airline USAir, which means just like when AT&T Wireless merged with Cingular the crappy customer service will survive).  Look at SouthWest (or watch their TV show)...  I've several times had United go above and beyond, changing tickets for me, when it was completely my fault!!! FOR FREE!!!  Doing anything to get me to my house because I had a business meeting the next morning...finding me a route that went three ways to Sunday, but trying to get me there none the less.

Some things can't be helped, and when there are other matters for people to attend to, sometimes the customer must realize that the worker has been over taxed, take a deep breath, and give them time to catch up.

Also this brings me back to my 'interesting observation' I alluded to at the beginning...  Models are always the first to complain.  You know why? Because pretty people are always given things their way!  I've seen it over and over in this industry...some young model (or even more ironically some aging, just barely pulling her looks together every morning model), fluttering her eyes and pushing her tits in some producer/assistant/art director/photographer's face to get everything from coffee to a say on where the next shot takes place.

It's bull...

Jan 08 06 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

p h o t o f a s h i o n

London, England, United Kingdom

rp_photo wrote:
The original post confirms my dislike of Yuppies and Soccer Moms who finally have kids in their late 30's and think that the world revolves around them and their brats!

I always seem to have problems with stressed out female redheads who think the world revolves around them whenever I fly.
Maybe there could be a part of the plane especially for them?

Air travel with kids is as stressful as moving house and is not an adventure to be taken upon lightly.

Jan 08 06 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

A few comments after going through the blog entry in detail:

The problem with the parents and kids...  I'm sure the flight attendents also would have preferred that they all shut up and behave themselves.  They'd probably love to give them a parachute and push them out the door.  Unfortunately they aren't allowed to say so quite that bluntly.  At least they did eventually get them away from you and next to some one more passive who suffered for the next four hours.

Delays:  There can be many reasons for this, some in the airlines control and some not.  Basically, in the current air system, a storm in Chicago can screw up air traffic all over the country.  Often it's a ground delay handed down by some FAA controller that prevents a plane from taking off or landing on time.

The people on the line, mostly, are trying their best (admittedly with some exceptions... don't ever get diverted to Redding on a Horizon Air flight, because no one with the airline, the airport, the rental car companies, or anyone else there will go out of their way to help you find any practical solutions).  A lot of the blame within airlines I think can be attributed to top management; where else can you lose money for years at a time and not only keep your job but get raises and bonuses?  There are also issues involving FAA, the air traffic infrastructure, and the airports themselves.  For example, older airports (O'Hare, San Francisco) have runway separations which require alternating rather than simultaneous operations during bad weather; that is, on sunny days they can bring two planes at a time in or out on adjacent runways, but with reduced visibility only one at a time and with greater spacing in between.  O'Hare is especially messy because some of the runways cross.  Trying to upgrade or build airports is expensive and is a political nightmare, there's a lot at stake so politicians play for keeps and nimbys are out in force.  Trust me on this one, as an airport consultant I've been involved in two of the last three major U.S. airports actually or (maybe) about to be built.

But... getting cranky with the hired help is usually counterproductive.  They help us business flyers with the shiny little frequent flyer cards first, after all they know we'll be back next week or next month; but we also fly enough to be polite to them.  We've learned by watching them use their discretion to do only the minimum required by the book for anyone who screams at them.  Ask nicely and be patient and understanding, and most of the time they'll do more than they really need to.

Jan 08 06 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Athearn

Boulder, Colorado, US

I used to fly a lot and I learned many years ago to avoid United. When Continental still had its hub in Denver, I always prefered Continental's service and on-time ability. Sadly, Continental abandoned its Denver hub when the new DIA went on line and now United has a monoploy here. I still avoid United whenever possible.

Jan 08 06 01:17 pm Link

Model

Amy Harber

Chicago, Illinois, US

BCG wrote:
if people dressed nicely, maybe they would get better service...i fault the bafoon clients for the piss poor service.

And you know how I was dressed because? I was actually dressed a lot nicer than many on the flight.

Jan 08 06 02:26 pm Link

Model

Amy Harber

Chicago, Illinois, US

I guess everyone is failing to see how they went against their own Customer Commitments listed on their website. Maybe they shouldn't post promises on their website that they can't deliver. As for their employees, if you are incapable of serving people, go do something else.

Hell, if Dr. Dre and Ice Cube of NWA were running an airline, it would probably run MUCH smoother. They obviously know SOMETHING about running a business or they would not still be around in the music business not just as artists but also managing their own labels and other artists as well.

Jan 08 06 02:30 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Reading though this thread makes me wonder why people are so ungrateful.  Airline are delivering what most consumers want - a fast and cheap way to get from "A" to "B". Yes, airlines are not what they used to be back in the 60's and early 70's when it was an absolute joy to fly.  - But people are not willing to pay for quality service anymore either.  If you look at the comparative price of airfare today vs. then (factoring inflation, escalating fuel costs and insurance) you will probably find that tickets cost only a fraction of what they once did.  The people wanted buses in the sky and that's what they got.  So get your own private jet, fly first class or just relax and stop complaining.

A few tips:
1.) I have found that if you order a vegetarian meal ahead of time with United (and a few other airlines), you will actually get a much better meal than the normal food.  But, if you are a llama, you shouldn't be eating airline food anyway:)

2.) Realize that flight crews are people too and that airlines are driven by your demand for cheap flights to keep costs down by hiring fewer of them.  Just take your seat, close your eyes and think pleasant thoughts.

3.) Also realize that our government has forced airlines to not look at customers anymore as "customers", but now requires them to look at everyone as potential combatants.  So do anything you can to not act like one. Polite, courteous and calm people usually have fewer problems when they fly.

4.) Flying is still faster, safer, and cheaper than driving, walking or swimming long distances.   If you don't like crowded planes, then fly on days (and nights) when the demand isn't as high.

I appreciate United for what they inadvertently did a few years back when they refused to change a flight for me with one of their code share partners (SAS) The flight that I was so insistent to get on from Milan to Copenhagen crashed and killed all 105 people on board.  United's inflexability saved my life - so becarefull what you wish for. - Maybe the purpose of airlines is to not only transport people, but to test a our ability as humans to be humans:)

Jan 08 06 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
Polite, courteous and calm people usually have fewer problems when they fly.

One very good 'for instance' was when I ran in to that dreaded end of day delay.  You know...how airlines are forced to shut down at some airports after certain hours, until certain other hours, leaving delayed passengers stranded over night.  I was none too happy, and neither was anyone else on the plane since our plane had been sitting at the gate all night waiting for a crew, but I've flown a lot in my life, so I understand when that happens there is very little anyone can do.  The tickets for the entire flight had to be rescheduled, and of course the first guy to get up to the counter is the loud mouth who's been yelling about it the entire time.  I was third in line at my particular spot on the counter, and there were six agents working to rebook us all, and by the time the second person was done at the counter the agent of the line to my right was already telling people they'd have to wait until the third or fourth flight out of the day.

Well crap...I'm on my way to a location, and though I can arrive at 8:30 in the morning and still get out to the job, I can't wait until 5:30 in the afternoon...it will be inexcusable...

I calmly walk up to the agent of my line and kind of low key say "I heard the other agent...I realize there are no seats left on the first flight out...are there *any* seats in *any* class...I'll gladly pay an upgrade to get there on time so I can go to work."  The guy types furiously on his keyboard for what feels like an eternity, and he prints up a couple of documents...puts them in an envelope and hands them to me.  He smiles says under his breath..."I got you on...keep it quiet" and says "Next"...I smile and thank him and as I'm walking away I look at the documents.

Not only has he gotten me on the next flight out first thing in the morning, he's given me hotel accommodation for the evening, AND bumped me up to first class.

Realize people are people...and we all get over worked...if you are nice, you get nice.

Jan 08 06 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

Xandria Gallery

Arlington, Texas, US

What I am trying to figure out is this:  The airline is supposed to announce a delay prior to arrival.  Okay.  If you are asleep, how do you know if it was announced or not?

Jan 08 06 04:01 pm Link

Model

Amy Harber

Chicago, Illinois, US

jeffgreen wrote:
What I am trying to figure out is this:  The airline is supposed to announce a delay prior to arrival.  Okay.  If you are asleep, how do you know if it was announced or not?

I don't sleep deeply on the plane and I don't turn up my music so loud that I can't hear. that's how.

Jan 08 06 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

Xandria Gallery

Arlington, Texas, US

So it is not possible, at all, that you might not have heard the announcement even though you were sleeping AND listening to music?

Jan 08 06 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

quietnow

United is way beyond shithouse in my experience, and delta is only slightly better.

The folks who will win are these new upstarts like jet blue, where they don't have archaic pension packages that are turning these other stalwarts to financial ruin and forcing them to cut corners in other areas (bag checks, meals, pillows).

Edit: I just read your blog, and have to say that there is only one thing united actually is responsible for: The delay.

You can't guarantee against screaming kids on a plane, and neither can they. And they can't guarantee against you leaving your makeup behind.

Now, had you not been sprinting due to their delay, you might not have forgotten it, but we don't know that.

United still sucks though.

Jan 08 06 05:20 pm Link

Model

Amy Harber

Chicago, Illinois, US

jeffgreen wrote:
So it is not possible, at all, that you might not have heard the announcement even though you were sleeping AND listening to music?

No it's not possible. 1. I'm a light sleeper. 2. as I said, I have my music low enough to hear any announcement. 3. I always listen to EVERY announcement, turn off my music even though I can hear over it because you don't know what the announcement is going to be and being an anxious flyer, I like to be aware of what is going on at all times.....so stop thinking that I did. I would bet a LOT of money that I did not miss anything.

Since you like questioning things so much, maybe you should consider being a lawyer instead of a photographer.

Jan 08 06 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Xandria Gallery

Arlington, Texas, US

Aimercat wrote:
Since you like questioning things so much, maybe you should consider being a lawyer instead of a photographer.

No thanks, I just choose to be responsible. smile

Jan 08 06 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

jeffgreen wrote:

Sure they are supposed to annouce that you will be late ahead of time. This way they have 200 people acting like the child and the poster. Weee Fun for everyone.

Jan 09 06 12:48 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Aimercat wrote:
I'm too lazy to edit out the foul language, so just go to my blog and read....

READ HERE WHY YOU SHOULDN'T FLY NORTHWEST OR UNITED!

Ok as near as I can tell, the seating arrangement was Father - child - you. How hard would it have been to say to the father, "Excuse me, but your child is kicking me and I must get some sleep. Would it be possible for you to change seats with your child? Thank you so much, you are a dear." Problem solved and you would not have had the need to show your ass by calling a small child, that was wound like an eight day clock because he was getting to fly, a brat. Come on you got pissy over a 2 or 3 year old. They get excited, that is what they do, just like some models thinking the sun and moon revolves around them.... it's thier nature. Good thing is a 2 or 3 year old grows up... Sad the same can not be said for some models.

Jan 09 06 12:56 am Link

Model

balletkatelyn

New York, New York, US

no one said anything bad about Frontier....

I think I might just be safe with them... whoa..

Jan 09 06 06:23 am Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

Aimercat wrote:

Sounds like whining to me.  As a parent I also resent your comments that families should be given an area in the BACK of the plane.  Some of us DO know how to raise and control our children.  Not ALL parents are bad or don't have control.  You need to just get over yourself and stop blaming the entire airline, you had a bad experience on a flight.....I'm SHOCKED!  We've ALL had a bad experience, we al have horror stories.

Jan 09 06 06:42 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

I miss being able to fly sitting backwards on Southwest,lol

Jan 09 06 07:01 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

jeffgreen wrote:

No thanks, I just choose to be responsible. smile

And respectable.  I hate lawyers.  bs

Jan 09 06 07:13 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

aguynamededdy wrote:
i'm sure there are horror stories for every single airline out there. now how am i supposed to fly? sad

Quantas....
Quantas....

Didn't you watch Rainman?

Jan 09 06 07:13 am Link

Photographer

Bob4friends

Marietta, Georgia, US

Rebecca Alsbury wrote:
I remember flying from Atlanta to Seattle on Delta...I hated it. Not only were we seated right by the engine, which the sound from it gave me a major migraine, but we also had to pay $8 for a stinking sandwich that was pre-made by the Atlanta Bread Company. So, with the stale sandwich, crappy service, and the seats that recline 2 inches....I really hate flying.

I would agree with her>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Delta has the worst reputation ! I can't stand these guys, for soooooooo many reasons. What really annoys me is that the year after 9-11, they cried to congress that if they didn't get money, they would go bankrupt. So cogress GIVES them 2 billion ( yes, BILLION ) of OUR tax dollars...3 years later, they claim to be 3 billion in the red, and they STILL file. Where is the 5 Billion ???? They stopped meals, stopped snacks, no pillows. no blankets, cut employee benefits, and pilots took a voluntary 10% cut......talk about a black hole !

Jan 09 06 07:42 am Link

Model

Natalie7170

Schiller Park, Illinois, US

jeffgreen wrote:

Simple then ask before you get off the plane..There are Flight attendents still on before you leave the plane and gate attendents when you get off.
Its your responsibility to ask as well as ours to tell you

Jan 09 06 10:38 am Link

Model

Natalie7170

Schiller Park, Illinois, US

raveneyes wrote:

One very good 'for instance' was when I ran in to that dreaded end of day delay.  You know...how airlines are forced to shut down at some airports after certain hours, until certain other hours, leaving delayed passengers stranded over night.  I was none too happy, and neither was anyone else on the plane since our plane had been sitting at the gate all night waiting for a crew, but I've flown a lot in my life, so I understand when that happens there is very little anyone can do.  The tickets for the entire flight had to be rescheduled, and of course the first guy to get up to the counter is the loud mouth who's been yelling about it the entire time.  I was third in line at my particular spot on the counter, and there were six agents working to rebook us all, and by the time the second person was done at the counter the agent of the line to my right was already telling people they'd have to wait until the third or fourth flight out of the day.

Well crap...I'm on my way to a location, and though I can arrive at 8:30 in the morning and still get out to the job, I can't wait until 5:30 in the afternoon...it will be inexcusable...

I calmly walk up to the agent of my line and kind of low key say "I heard the other agent...I realize there are no seats left on the first flight out...are there *any* seats in *any* class...I'll gladly pay an upgrade to get there on time so I can go to work."  The guy types furiously on his keyboard for what feels like an eternity, and he prints up a couple of documents...puts them in an envelope and hands them to me.  He smiles says under his breath..."I got you on...keep it quiet" and says "Next"...I smile and thank him and as I'm walking away I look at the documents.

Not only has he gotten me on the next flight out first thing in the morning, he's given me hotel accommodation for the evening, AND bumped me up to first class.

Realize people are people...and we all get over worked...if you are nice, you get nice.

I often do the same,  if some jerk is screaming and yelling at me calling me all sorts of names, I will simply refuse to assist him. But if the next person is polite and acts like an adult I have gone out of my way to help him or her,,

Jan 09 06 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Andy Meng

Tampa, Florida, US

you know, I hate to be a butthead here, but I don't see what the big complaint is.  You know every company on earth is cutting support people down to where they are lucky to get the job done, let alone exceptional help.

The airlines can't exactly control who gets on the plane, and you certainly can't blame the airline for asshole passengers.  That you woke up and found the people next to you gone means they did their best to accomodate everything, and also that the kid couldn't have been kicking and screaming too much to keep you from sleeping.  But you know, kids are kids, and we were all kids once.  So the family is supposed to walk instead of fly?  I mean surely you wouldn't want some screaming brat in the gas station when you filled up either?  So was that Mobil or Citgo or ???  Don't buy gas there either!!!!!  (puhleeze)

So you get to the gate and know what gate you have to get to.  What are they supposed to do?  The fact that they held the door open instead of saying "sorry it's closed" is typical of when planes are delayed.  What are they supposed to do, make an announcement for the entire airport to stop and bow before you?  Just an FYI, the airlines know who is coming off what plane and has to get to their next one, and hold planes best they can.  They did this for you !!!

If you had a problem with mobility, you should have pre-arranged hanidcap services.  Otherwise they are not omnicient. 

You got help locating your bag, and it was actually still there.  MIRACLE!!!!!  Hint (as if you don't know it already) If you walk away from a bag in a public place and actually expect to recover it, you're living in fantasy world.  You can HOPE to get it, but to expect it is just plain unrealistic.  PERIOD!!!!!

Once again, United held the door for you, probably held the plane too, making it even later and a bunch of other passengers pissed at you for the delay.  But apparently noone said anything because they have manners and sympathy and understanding.

So I'll just plain be blunt.  Sounds like United went beyond what they needed to so they could accomodate you best they can. In fact, it sounds to me like United did a pretty good job all things considered, and I think I'll fly them given the opportunity.

(Makes mental note of model he doesn't want to work with and airline he will fly on.)

Jan 09 06 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

BCG wrote:
if people dressed nicely, maybe they would get better service...i fault the bafoon clients for the piss poor service.

Attire should not affect customer service.

I took a red-eye back from Phoenix this December, and it was the most velour I've ever seen.

Jan 09 06 11:16 am Link

Model

Amy Harber

Chicago, Illinois, US

apparently some one missed the part where I DID ASK the father quite nicely to control his child and he IGNORED me.

Jan 09 06 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
I miss being able to fly sitting backwards on Southwest,lol

The best thing about SW is how they don't take themselves so seriously.  I haven't flown with them recently, but my last experience was on a flight to Phoenix.  The peanuts they passed out were labeled "Frills" and upon landing we passengers were all greeted with a rather amusing intercom announcement, "We're Here!  Now get out out."

Aimster, if we all related our bad experiences on any of the airlines this would be a never ending thread.  When I worked in Corp. America I did 85,000 air miles in a year...all in the Midwest...the stories I can tell. 

I'm just happy you're safe.  Don't let the frowns they gave you mess with your pretty smile.  And next time, put your case on the floor with your foot on top...you won't forget it.

Jan 09 06 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Andy Meng

Tampa, Florida, US

Aimercat wrote:
apparently some one missed the part where I DID ASK the father quite nicely to control his child and he IGNORED me.

What does that have to do with the airline doing you wrong?

Also, just a curious point, but if you sleep very light and wake up at the slightest thing, and would surely have woken up at any announcement, then how on earth did you sleep through the screaming child and also them getting up and moving?

Jan 09 06 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

GunnCat

Aimercat wrote:

I picked up my gf at 10:30pm. She was due to arrive at 4:30 and we were going to spend the night celebrating a late new years. We had plans to have supper at our favorite restaurant, I got us a room with a jacuzzi.. it was nice. It cost me about $350 or so.
So yah delta cancelled her flight to begin. Then she was lucky enough to get a flight out. Only by the time she started (3:30 am mountain) to the time we actually arrived in Mass 1:30am est, she was pooped and so was I.
Thanks Delta!

Jan 09 06 03:35 pm Link

Model

Amy Harber

Chicago, Illinois, US

Andy Meng wrote:

What does that have to do with the airline doing you wrong?

Also, just a curious point, but if you sleep very light and wake up at the slightest thing, and would surely have woken up at any announcement, then how on earth did you sleep through the screaming child and also them getting up and moving?

No the part where they did me wrong was when they did stuff counter to their "customer commitments" listed on their site.

Jan 09 06 05:48 pm Link