Forums > Photography Talk > Sandbags -- dumb question

Photographer

Darkroomist

Saginaw, Michigan, US

I use 20lb ankle weights from Walmart.  $20/set.

Feb 18 09 01:06 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

I picked up a bunch of used ones from Calumet's rentals--who cares what they look like if they still work? And they do go on sale from time to time; just never when you need them. smile

There's a good DIY guide to making your own, but unless you're already doing a fair amount of sewing, the time/skill overhead makes this cost-prohibitive. http://dale-murray.com/DIY/sandbags/sandbags.pdf

Feb 18 09 02:07 am Link

Photographer

STUDIO 236

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

TimValencia Photography wrote:
Get some ballistic nylon and make your own. It didn't take me long at all, and I am not a skilled textile manufacturer. You can make a whole slew of them foe a fraction of the price. yup...

But fill them with lead shot.....

Feb 18 09 02:13 am Link

Photographer

Coogan Photo

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Wind and Photography do not go together, unless you are photographing the America's Cup Sailing Race (or flags flying in the wind)...

I've got 10 of these Tenba Heavy 20 Sandbags, filled with 25 lbs of lead shot.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 … ndbag.html

I like the clip so you can hang the bag around the light stand or tripod.  The lead shot molds to the shape of the stand leg, they go on every job I shoot.  If a stand is outside it gets a sandbag.  One goes on the tripod, especially if we are doing multiple exposures.

Feb 18 09 03:09 am Link

Photographer

fbimagery

New Liskeard, Ontario, Canada

Legwarmers or old jeans work...the leg part. Tie the ankles, fill the pants with beach sand, and when you are done, just empty them out.
Since we are being inventive, throw pillows from old skirts work well too. Sew and stuff.

Feb 18 09 03:16 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

dms graphix wrote:
I was reading some threads about the best stands to use, and, along with other advice, they all suggested using sandbags.  For awhile now, I've been planning to get some sandbags to secure my light stands.  I could use them in the studio for those precarious setups and, even more would like to use them outdoors.  I don't take the studio lights outdoors yet, but I plan to be doing that soon.  So, the big, dumb question:

Where do you get sandbags, what types do you use, and what size/weight do you like?

I checked on B&H and Calumet, and they both have a nice selection of bags running from around $10 to $30 each.  Figuring I need one bag on each leg and might want to secure four or more stands, I'm figuring those bags could cost me a few hundred bucks.  There must be a cheaper way!  Any advice?

Got my sandbags back during the golden age of photography from a film equipment company........never goes anywhere without them...even my tripod is weighted down with a sandbag to keep any vibrations down to next to nothing

Feb 18 09 03:19 am Link

Photographer

George ephrem

Jacksonville, Florida, US

i got mine from ebay-10 to 15 bucks

Feb 18 09 03:19 am Link

Photographer

C and J Photography

Hauula, Hawaii, US

JMX Photography wrote:

Those are pretty nice.

I recently saw Medicine balls with handles, available in various weights, there as well.

I plan to move to one or the other of these two options soon.

For beach shoots (any location shoot where hiking in) I am inclined to use the fabric shopping bags they sell at Walmart, Target, or similar stores for about a buck each.

Feb 18 09 04:54 am Link

Photographer

MEK Photography

Westminster, Maryland, US

dms graphix wrote:
I was reading some threads about the best stands to use, and, along with other advice, they all suggested using sandbags.  For awhile now, I've been planning to get some sandbags to secure my light stands.  I could use them in the studio for those precarious setups and, even more would like to use them outdoors.  I don't take the studio lights outdoors yet, but I plan to be doing that soon.  So, the big, dumb question:

Where do you get sandbags, what types do you use, and what size/weight do you like?

I checked on B&H and Calumet, and they both have a nice selection of bags running from around $10 to $30 each.  Figuring I need one bag on each leg and might want to secure four or more stands, I'm figuring those bags could cost me a few hundred bucks.  There must be a cheaper way!  Any advice?

Cheap and easy solution:

Find a livestock feed store and ask them if you could snag a few empty feed bags.  Most places will just give them to you, as they usually just throw them out.  They come in a few sizes, so get the smaller ones (25lb?).  They're made of reinforced plastic, and are pretty much weightless when empty.  I stuff a couple in my pack and fill them up with whatever (rocks, sand, etc) when I get there and tie off the end with a short piece of rope. 

They're free, and they work perfect.

Feb 18 09 05:17 am Link

Photographer

R Langford Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

If you are interested in using sandbags to resolve the issue that you described go down to your local Home Depot or Lowes and purchase them.
If your are looking for a solid sturdy lightstand look at the Avenger 40" C stand with grip hold which you can purchase with a boom arm. If you do not need the kit you can buy the lightstand without the boom arm.
Go to B&H Photo website which is www.bhphoto.com sku# AVA205SCBKQ

Good Luck!

Feb 18 09 05:34 am Link

Photographer

Ken Rieves Photography

Avon Lake, Ohio, US

Get small duffle bags from big lots ($5), get a box of one gallon zip-lock bags. Fill zip-lock with playground sand (from Lowes about $5), then double bag it. Place two zip-locks in duffle, one on each end. Take a piece of cord and tie it around the middle to keep the zip-locks apart and you are done.

Feb 18 09 05:59 am Link

Photographer

RUBEN LOERA

Austin, Texas, US

I use these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Photo-Video-Sand- … dZViewItem

They work great for me.  I get them empty from the seller.  Then I simply fill up the bags with sand or gravel.  Your local gardening store should have that available.  Also, a local park with a kids' playground is perfect.  May not be ethical but that's up to you.  wink

These bags have worked for me and really hold down my stands.  I recommend getting some if you are doing strobist work with umbrellas of any type.  It doesn't take much for your stands to blow over...especially with an umbrella attached.

My 2 cents....

=-.Ruben

Feb 18 09 07:47 am Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm pretty ghetto with my studio setup for my large (6') softbox stand. I use a couple of 10lb. ankle weights from Big 5. wink

Feb 18 09 07:53 am Link

Photographer

Tom Brooks

Toledo, Ohio, US

StephenEastwood wrote:
buy some strong bags triple up big thick commercial garbage bags, cut them to size and get some dirt/on location or sand from a beach.  Easier is get some large canvas bags at a walmart and fill them with rocks.

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.StephenEastwood.com

so a guy with a porsche, large inventory of hassies, expensive lights, RAID systems, and the envy of photographers is running around digging up beach sand to save a few bucks?  LOL.

Feb 18 09 07:54 am Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Los Angeles, California, US

JMX Photography wrote:

ditto.. I didn't see this when I was typing. tongue

Feb 18 09 07:54 am Link

Photographer

Dream-foto

Chico, California, US

Check with your local hardware store, rock and gravel company or feed store. Here you can buy 50lb sand bags for .40 each.

http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-69275/Detail

Feb 18 09 08:00 am Link

Photographer

Stock Photo Showcase

Arlington, Virginia, US

Dream-foto wrote:
Check with your local hardware store, rock and gravel company or feed store. Here you can buy 50lb sand bags for .40 each.

http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-69275/Detail

And the bags of sand are already heavy duty plastic you can rebag them into other heavy duty bags if you want.

Feb 18 09 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Ruben Vasquez

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I've become pretty fond of Photoflex counterweight bags. They come empty so they weigh next to nothing but can be filled with water or sand. Which makes storage and transport super easy. Here's a link in case you want to look at them:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control … 531&is=REG

Also, and this is just my opinion, but unless you're on location and the wind is blowing, I think it's a little over kill to put more than one bag on a stand. That or if it's a boom then I'll have one on the stand and one on the arm to act as a counterweight.

Feb 18 09 09:46 am Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

dms graphix wrote:
Thanks for all the good advice.  Yes, I planned to use sand on location when at the beach, but I wanted sturdy bags.  Don't want a mess in the stuido!  Thanks again.

I use teh commercial bags. They have straps in 2 configurations and are easy to hook to a stand.

You may need more than one per stand on an outdoor shoot. I also have used stakes and guywires to secure skrims and such in place.   

Weight the stands so they are counterbalance the way the thing might fall or get blown over.

Feb 18 09 09:54 am Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

Ruben Vasquez wrote:
I've become pretty fond of Photoflex counterweight bags. They come empty so they weigh next to nothing but can be filled with water or sand. Which makes storage and transport super easy. Here's a link in case you want to look at them:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control … 531&is=REG

Also, and this is just my opinion, but unless you're on location and the wind is blowing, I think it's a little over kill to put more than one bag on a stand. That or if it's a boom then I'll have one on the stand and one on the arm to act as a counterweight.

When I do corporate shots I weigh everything down.  Sometimes I use caution tape to remind people of thos pesky light stand legs sticking out. I've had too many people not paying attention and catch a foot on a stand.  I had a MUA catch one and it hit the ground from 11' up.. OOOPS she says.

It's a bitch to trip the CEO... ..even if it's his fault..

Feb 18 09 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Matt Knowles

Ferndale, California, US

Lorin Edmonds wrote:
Phone books are free and they work.

Not mine. Ferndale's phone book only weighs 4 ounces, and that's with the white and yellow pages in one book.

On the other hand the beach is only 5 minutes away if I need sand, and the river's 5 minutes in the other direction if I need pebbles.

Feb 18 09 10:10 am Link

Photographer

Jon Scott Visual

sand in ziplocks>ziplocks in tube socks>tube socks sewn shut

Feb 18 09 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Southern Glamour

Kingsland, Georgia, US

Tube socks with a baggie of sand in each end tied on the end.

Feb 18 09 10:42 am Link

Photographer

Jon Scott Visual

wow, wish i would have thought of that hmm

Feb 18 09 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Sungoddess Studios

Keyport, New Jersey, US

in the days as a stage hand the phrase "a roll of duct tape goes a long way" comes to mind

Feb 18 09 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Richard Flaskegaard

Delray Beach, Florida, US

I have the premade sandbags.  I have the fill-it-yourself style.  Each has a place and purpose.  And they can be made nicely heavy.
For general use to add some mass to a light stand, try a dumb bell -- from Target, Sports Authority...etc.
About $10 each.  various weights - 8 - 12 lb.  Neat, handy, no mess, can be used in multiples.  And you can workout between shoots.

Feb 18 09 10:55 am Link

Photographer

kgreggbruce

Boulder, Colorado, US

I bought ziplocks, got sand from local construction site, filled bags, and duct taped (black tape) them all over. Some are singles, some are duct taped together with an empty section/length in between for draping across stand base. I had the tape, so total cost was a bag of ziplocks. (on sale, of course!) The black tape doesn't scream 'HVAC!'. Mine are 3-6lbs each, for small stands/strobes/modifiers.

Good luck!

Feb 18 09 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Monito -- Alan

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Tom Brooks wrote:
so a guy with a porsche, large inventory of hassies, expensive lights, RAID systems, and the envy of photographers is running around digging up beach sand to save a few bucks?  LOL.

Nah.  His assistants are filling bags with sand at beach shots so they don't slog in (and out) with 400 pounds of filled bags on their backs.

Great practical thread, by the way.  Good link to the FredMiranda article with more info and ideas as well.

Feb 18 09 11:03 am Link