This thread was locked on 2015-07-10 21:52:25
Forums > Model Colloquy > PERV - do I tell or not?

Photographer

Butter Photos

Detroit, Alabama, US

markphotog wrote:
Well, Im glad I posted this question.........I dont want to spread "hear-say".......yet Id hate to put a newbie model into an uncomfortable situation either.
....thanks for all the advice......I think I will stay out of it.....

(BTW, she DID do it for him.....and didnt enjoy it as much as she thought she would)

this thread is dumber than a "I didn't get all my pics" thread. I am going to fart in my hand and smell just to cleanse myself of this foolishness. yesh

Jan 23 08 04:18 am Link

Photographer

ZWI Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

This is why I like shooting more experienced models.

Jan 23 08 04:18 am Link

Photographer

PC Photos

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Zachary Wade wrote:
This is why I like shooting more experienced models.

They don't even need asking? wink

Jan 23 08 05:21 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Leo Howard wrote:
you should stay out of it.

Fifi-Alexis wrote:
Considering you only have her word (not that I'm calling her a liar) to go on, I would say stay out of it. You weren't there and are not a witness, so you can't really say what went on.

MelissaLynnette LaDiva wrote:
Let her tell her own story.

That says it all.  If there is a story to be told, she can tell it.  Just bear in mind that there are two sides to every story.  It is perfectly plausible that the guy is a pervert.  It is also perfectly plausible that the guy does some adult work as well as the glamour and mainstream that you know him from.   I am not defending or knocking adult work.  He may have merely asked her if she would do more and she was offended.  There are other explainations.  It is also entirely possible that the model simply doesn't like the photographer (but I am not suggesting that she made something up).

I find that many of these things, although sometimes offensive, are less draconian than one would expect.  People react differently to different situations.

The bottom line is this, you weren't there so you really don't know what happened.  If there is a story to tell, let it be her to tell it.  She obviously told you so she is not shy about sharing it.

The guy may well be a pervert, but you shouldn't be the one to make the accuastion.

Jan 23 08 09:29 am Link

Model

Regina Robbins

Crestline, California, US

Wil Cohen wrote:
You mean that's not OK?  Oh Oh.

haha.

Jan 23 08 09:33 am Link

Photographer

_Caligula_

Memphis, Alabama, US

Agreed. Let her tell her own story.
For all we know, the model may have went ahead and did the ole "one finger clam dance" for the perv.

Jan 23 08 09:41 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

I've heard a lot of things from models about many of the local photographers, but I believe that most of it is just talk.  I keep quiet about it, if something really happened then the model should have reported it to the authorities.  If they don't i do believe it is an attempt to mar someone's reputation just because they don't like them.

Jan 23 08 09:44 am Link

Photographer

Derrick Swanson

Chicago, Illinois, US

depends why he wanted her to masturbate and if he asked her to do it in the dressing room or not to me.  i have known photographers, and actually have photographed for a few models that wanted such photos, penthouse style photos where THEY decided their genitals looked better in an aroused state.  they made the call to get things um warmed up before those photos were taken.  how many photographers in a topless shoot have asked a model to make her nipples hard for the photo... depending on the context of why he asked i dont think its so bad.

Jan 23 08 09:45 am Link

Photographer

Rhonda708

Miami, Florida, US

MelissaLynnette LaDiva wrote:
Wow.

Let her tell her own story.

Photographers talking shit about other photographers never seems to go over well.

agreed.

Jan 23 08 09:46 am Link

Model

j ashley

Erie, Pennsylvania, US

icky icky
i think the model has a mouth and should definitely know that if it made her so uncomfortable that she told you, that she would tell other young people that could also be put in this position

but not your place to do so, sadly.

Jan 23 08 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Vizual Synergi Imaging

Aspen Hill, Maryland, US

I recently spoke to a local model who told me that during a shoot; as she got into the lingerie - the photographer asked her to masturbate.  This is a relatively popular local photographer (Ive never met him) - Is this something that I should warn new models about, or should I keep quiet?  I have mixed feelings.....OP

Just reading this, one can understand the knee-jerk impulse to want to go tell the world about this alleged bad-guy. After all, everybody loves the idea of being the knight in shining armor coming to the aid of the alleged damsel-in-distress?

BUT, as stated by countless posts prior to this, this is a classic case of "he says/she says", AND since the OP wasn't there and therefore not a direct party involved in this alleged incident, it ain't his battle to fight. Stay out of it dude, this is a slander lawsuit waiting to happen...

Jan 23 08 09:48 am Link

Model

-Jen-

Howell, Michigan, US

markphotog wrote:
I recently spoke to a local model who told me that during a shoot; as she got into the lingerie - the photographer asked her to masturbate.  This is a relatively popular local photographer (Ive never met him) - Is this something that I should warn new models about, or should I keep quiet?  I have mixed feelings.....

If someone asks about him, tell them to talk to her.

I wouldnt say anything else after that.  Let her tell the story, do not get into it.

I hate it when photographers I talk to talk bad about a photographer because 1/2 the time they dont have the whole story.  Always let the person who it happened to tell the story.

Jan 23 08 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

It's not your place to pass on third party information.

Jan 23 08 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Dark Attitude Photo

Rochester, New York, US

markphotog wrote:
I recently spoke to a local model who told me that during a shoot; as she got into the lingerie - the photographer asked her to masturbate.  This is a relatively popular local photographer (Ive never met him) - Is this something that I should warn new models about, or should I keep quiet?  I have mixed feelings.....

BE LIKE SWITZERLAND

Jan 23 08 11:55 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I heard that John Jebbia was on Alton Smith's blacklist site. You should stay away from him.

Jan 23 08 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

markphotog wrote:
I guess this WILL go on forever as I see there are members with over 23,000 posts with less than two years of membership........do the math on that !!   - LOL -

We run this place and the Mods are afraid of us.

Jan 23 08 12:18 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Like an open Rose

Los Angeles, California, US

was this a tfp shoot? lol
jk
stay outta that one

Jan 23 08 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Vamp Boudoir

Florence, South Carolina, US

this is almost as bad as that model on MM that will hump your leg....

Jan 23 08 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

SI Photography

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Fifi-Alexis wrote:

lol

All my shoots require we both do it in front of each other, I just can't get any baby batter on them.

Jan 23 08 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

Fifi-Alexis wrote:
If you want to take a roadtrip to BC, I'm down for that. big_smile

Damon Banner wrote:
Of course you are! 

You should drive down and meet me in portland

Climbs in Damons glove box...

Jan 23 08 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

markphotog wrote:

You must be one of those Lutherans that they talk about on Prairie Home Companion. What are you gonna do when I ask a model to stick plastic stuff up her pooty, call the police?

I smell a White Knight!

Jan 23 08 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Malleus Veritas

Winchester, Virginia, US

Jake Garn wrote:
repeating stuff that you heard other people talk about is just gossip.

Or slander.  Or defamation of character.

Both of which can get you sued, especially since he is a business competitor (which is how the court would see it, even if you aren't in direct competition).

Jan 23 08 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

So . . . you didn't finish the story.

Did she masturbate?
Did she have a good time?
Did the photos turn out as the photographer wanted them to?
Did she get copies of them for her portfolio?
Did she go back for more photosessions?

Did she tell you to announce to the world what apparently offends you?

Please let us know . . .

KM

Jan 23 08 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

Malleus Veritas

Winchester, Virginia, US

Fifi-Alexis wrote:

Is it just me, or is it always funny when they think it does.

I would be able to die happy if she decides to come in and defend her reasoning for doing it.

lol

::fingers crossed::

That would be the mother of all train wrecks.   If she does, somebody email me so I can buy stock in a popcorn company.

Jan 23 08 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

pretty pleads wrote:
if asked
otherwise
youll sound like a hater

Think of the kittens.

Jan 23 08 08:15 pm Link

Model

Rachel McFarlann

Des Moines, Iowa, US

It's a really bad idea to start telling people that, even if it's the God's honest truth.  If you hear about another model planning to work with the dude, I would refer her immediately to the original model.  Don't give any details, just stress the reference check.  Let the original model tell the tale.

Jan 23 08 08:17 pm Link

Model

Rachel McFarlann

Des Moines, Iowa, US

I committed the cardinal sin:  I only read the first page before responding, so I pretty much said what everyone else already had.  Totally out of character for me; I usually read everything and by the time I get done, anything I might say would be redundant (as it was in this case).  I apologize.

I TOTALLY missed page two (until now).  Dude, "she didn't enjoy it as much as she thought she would"?  That probably means one of two things: 

1).  She was down for it, not scared or embarrassed, and then decided it was lame.
2).  She didn't want to do it and was too scared to stand up for herself and say no.

My guess is option deux.  Either way, I totally retract my "refer other models to her" comment.  She's either a drama queen or someone with no backbone who shouldn't be involved in this crap anyway.

Jan 23 08 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

Rachel McFarland wrote:
I committed the cardinal sin:  I only read the first page before responding, so I pretty much said what everyone else already had.  Totally out of character for me; I usually read everything and by the time I get done, anything I might say would be redundant (as it was in this case).  I apologize.

I TOTALLY missed page two (until now).  Dude, "she didn't enjoy it as much as she thought she would"?  That probably means one of two things: 

1).  She was down for it, not scared or embarrassed, and then decided it was lame.
2).  She didn't want to do it and was too scared to stand up for herself and say no.

My guess is option deux.  Either way, I totally retract my "refer other models to her" comment.  She's either a drama queen or someone with no backbone who shouldn't be involved in this crap anyway.

There are more than two options... the story could be completely fabricated by the OP... it could be fabricated by the model... it could have been delivered by the model in a COMPLETELY different manner than how it is being described to us by the OP....

Your option two should have resulted in a visit to the police. And if it did not, it's not necessarily the result of her being "someone with no backbone who shouldn't be involved in this crap anyway".

Jan 23 08 08:40 pm Link

Model

Rachel McFarlann

Des Moines, Iowa, US

Mikel Featherston wrote:

There are more than two options... the story could be completely fabricated by the OP... it could be fabricated by the model... it could have been delivered by the model in a COMPLETELY different manner than how it is being described to us by the OP....

Your option two should have resulted in a visit to the police. And if it did not, it's not necessarily the result of her being "someone with no backbone who shouldn't be involved in this crap anyway".

You are entirely correct in your first paragraph.  Simply for the sake of this argument, I'm operating under the assumption that the information given by the OP is valid.

With regard to your second paragraph, Mr. Featherston, I respectfully dissent: 

1).  It is absolutely an individual's choice whether to report an assault or attempted assault to police. 

2).  If an individual is incapable of saying "no" to something he or she is uncomfortable with (or that may create a dangerous environment for either party), then he or she absolutely should not be involved in this line of business.  Generally speaking, members of the talent community can expect to be asked to do things they're uncomfortable with (for one reason or another), and it's essential to be able to say "no" in these situations.

Jan 23 08 10:02 pm Link

Model

Tabatha Miami

Miami, Florida, US

Share it with your closest friends as gossip but let the model spell her own beans

Jan 23 08 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

Jerry Coleman  wrote:

LOL.......you got that right.  Which is why we older guys have to behave.

Not if you have money. For some women that's what makes a man hot.

Jan 23 08 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

Rachel McFarland wrote:
You are entirely correct in your first paragraph.  Simply for the sake of this argument, I'm operating under the assumption that the information given by the OP is valid.

With regard to your second paragraph, Mr. Featherston, I respectfully dissent: 

1).  It is absolutely an individual's choice whether to report an assault or attempted assault to police. 

2).  If an individual is incapable of saying "no" to something he or she is uncomfortable with (or that may create a dangerous environment for either party), then he or she absolutely should not be involved in this line of business.  Generally speaking, members of the talent community can expect to be asked to do things they're uncomfortable with (for one reason or another), and it's essential to be able to say "no" in these situations.

Well, with respect to your first point... That is absolutely true... however, going to the police is a far better solution to dealing with a problem photographer than telling your story to someone who is in no position to truly help.

Second point: In your first description, you mentioned the possiblity that she felt that there was danger involved in saying 'no'. That would not make her weak.

Jan 23 08 10:10 pm Link

Model

Rachel McFarlann

Des Moines, Iowa, US

Mikel Featherston wrote:

Well, with respect to your first point... That is absolutely true... however, going to the police is a far better solution to dealing with a problem photographer than telling your story to someone who is in no position to truly help.

Second point: In your first description, you mentioned the possiblity that she felt that there was danger involved in saying 'no'. That would not make her weak.

Many would agree with your opinion about reporting sexual assault to the authorities, Mr. Featherston, but in all actuality it is the victim's right to choose whom or whom not to report her story to.  Many victims only feel comfortable telling a friend.  I'm certainly not saying that this is the case with the OP's model, and although it's off-topic, it's an important point to understand.

I never said that the specific model in question felt scared or threatened.  The fact that "it wasn't as great as she thought it would be" implies regret at most. 

Certainly someone who is being coerced by physical threat to masturbate in front of a camera would not be considered "weak" (although I don't believe I used that word; I referred to a lack of backbone).  From the information available (and those are the key words), this model participated of her own free will.  I'm sure the OP would have mentioned it if threat had been involved.

I feel like we're starting to split hairs a little, Mr. Featherston, but I felt compelled to respond.

Jan 23 08 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

Teila K Day Photography

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

markphotog wrote:

Mind your own beezwax smile     If he was that much of a "perv" then the model who had a problem with him can tell others.  How do you even reasonably/intelligently think that it's ok to tell others what you've only "heard" through the grapevine.

Someone could call you a perv... that wouldn't make it true though would it?

wink

Jan 23 08 11:26 pm Link

Photographer

foxfire images

Northfield, Vermont, US

markphotog wrote:

i have mixed feelings too .. i mix them with scotch !!

Jan 23 08 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

Mac Wolff

Litchfield Park, Arizona, US

Another load of shit Thread.......................who cares,  and if she did it it makes it stink like shit even more!!!!!!!!

Jan 23 08 11:40 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

Rachel McFarland wrote:

Many would agree with your opinion about reporting sexual assault to the authorities, Mr. Featherston, but in all actuality it is the victim's right to choose whom or whom not to report her story to.  Many victims only feel comfortable telling a friend.  I'm certainly not saying that this is the case with the OP's model, and although it's off-topic, it's an important point to understand.

I never said that the specific model in question felt scared or threatened.  The fact that "it wasn't as great as she thought it would be" implies regret at most. 

Certainly someone who is being coerced by physical threat to masturbate in front of a camera would not be considered "weak" (although I don't believe I used that word; I referred to a lack of backbone).  From the information available (and those are the key words), this model participated of her own free will.  I'm sure the OP would have mentioned it if threat had been involved.

I feel like we're starting to split hairs a little, Mr. Featherston, but I felt compelled to respond.

At this point, I am inclined to believe the entire story is fabricated. If I choose to accept the story as true, based on what I have read from the OP, the model chose to participate in an activity that she later regretted. At this point, I do not know if her expression of regret was an attempt to turn the OP against the other photographer. I do not know if she merely shared a story of something she took responsibility for, yet regretted later. We don't know her attitudes, or her story. We know that the OP was bothered by what she told him.

With what we have, I can't say anything about the model... I can't pass any kind of judgement, because the information has been passed through another filter. But I am not going to start calling into question her character, or her motives, because we have not heard her story. We only have the OP's words. I am just not ready to generate any ill will toward a model whose intent is entirely unknown. If she even exists.

Jan 24 08 02:10 am Link

Model

Rachel McFarlann

Des Moines, Iowa, US

Mikel Featherston wrote:
At this point, I am inclined to believe the entire story is fabricated. If I choose to accept the story as true, based on what I have read from the OP, the model chose to participate in an activity that she later regretted. At this point, I do not know if her expression of regret was an attempt to turn the OP against the other photographer. I do not know if she merely shared a story of something she took responsibility for, yet regretted later. We don't know her attitudes, or her story. We know that the OP was bothered by what she told him.

With what we have, I can't say anything about the model... I can't pass any kind of judgement, because the information has been passed through another filter. But I am not going to start calling into question her character, or her motives, because we have not heard her story. We only have the OP's words. I am just not ready to generate any ill will toward a model whose intent is entirely unknown. If she even exists.

I agree with your supposition.  We can't judge the veracity of the details given because they were provided by a third party.  I was simply offering my view, based on the given scenario.

Jan 24 08 08:44 am Link

Photographer

Williamfrierson29

Thomaston, Georgia, US

No one should ever do anything that do not wish to.A photographer should be professional and courteous.I'm new to photography and feel like alot of folks think that's all I want to do is make porn.I know getting into this business is tough and you have to prove yourself.Always bring someone with you and lay out guide lines on what is acceptable and what's not.Safety is the most important thing.If you feel uncomfortable leave.

Jul 10 15 11:20 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

This is a 7 year old thread!

Jul 10 15 11:29 am Link