Forums > Photography Talk > Gear: Reflector?

Photographer

Chris J Lee

Dallas, Texas, US

What kind of reflector do you use?

I'm thinking of purchasing one. Does it really matter what kind.

Jan 19 06 10:58 am Link

Photographer

photoruss

Hiram, Georgia, US

I have a 36 inch round that is called a 5-in-1. It has a zipper cover with gold on one side and herringbone (silver and gold mixed) on the other.  if you turn the cover inside out, you have silver, and if you take the cover off, the round underneath is a white reflector.  It's very handy and I got it cheap off ebay.

Jan 19 06 11:02 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

russellpmiller wrote:
I have a 36 inch round that is called a 5-in-1. It has a zipper cover with gold on one side and herringbone (silver and gold mixed) on the other.  if you turn the cover inside out, you have silver, and if you take the cover off, the round underneath is a white reflector.  It's very handy and I got it cheap off ebay.

I have the same one. ANd I always use it. You won't believe the difference when you are shooting headshots!

Jan 19 06 11:04 am Link

Photographer

ThefStopsHere

Olympia, Washington, US

I've the same zippered 5-in-1 that I carry in my photo bag.  For the studio, I have a few pieces of white foam board in different sizes.  Fairly inexpensive and work well.

Jan 19 06 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Gabriel

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I have a circular pop-out, gold on one side, silver on the other. Twist it back into its compact size and it fits in the back pocket of my Domke bag - well, halfway in, but secure and at hand. Got it at a pro Wolf Camera here for about $30.

Jan 19 06 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Randy Pond Photogaphy

Vegreville, Alberta, Canada

I go low budget, like car window sun reflectors or white foam core....anything I can get my hands on since I am a starving artist...hehhehe smile  I think they do about the same job.
I got all my ideas for low budget reflectors off the net.

Jan 19 06 11:54 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Randy Pond Photogaphy wrote:
I go low budget, like car window sun reflectors or white foam core....anything I can get my hands on since I am a starving artist...hehhehe smile  I think they do about the same job.

Nope. They don't do the same job. I used to use cheap stuff like foamcore and tinfoil too. Then I spent the $50 and got a real reflector. No comparison.

Jan 19 06 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Pond Photogaphy

Well, I didn't just think of it out of the blue....I did some research and there a lot of photographers that would disagree with you based on what I discovered.  I haven't used the $50 reflector but I am happy with the results of the cheaper ones....besides...it's not how much the $$$ costs, I've seen great pictures taken with disposable cameras...so really....the equipment isn't all that important.  If a person can save $$$ on stuff like that I think it's awesome.  So many people feel they NEED this stuff to be good...and it's just not true.

Jan 19 06 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

It doesn't matter what kind you get if you don't know what you're doing with it.  Conversely, if you understand the nature of it, you can get the necessary results using an array of reflective surfaces.  I've used or seen others use foamcore, gatorboard, tin foil, white sheets, 5-in-1s, white walls... it depends on how you employ it.  Try different things and see the differences in the way your images turn out.

My suggestion?  Spend the money on a 5-in-1.  You get the utility since it was designed for the purpose of reflection as well as durability that you won't get with other things.

Jan 19 06 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Another vote for the 5 in 1 type. I've used the diffuser panel part to a great extent shooting outdoors in direct sun. I have three collapsible reflectors in total.
All have a small loop so they can be attached to your belt loop or camera bag with small clips.

Edit:
Chris, the lens came in today's mail and I'm happy with it, thank you for being an honest person.

Jan 19 06 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

i just bought a 42" x 74" silver/white thing made by impact.  i have a hell of a time closing the thing, and the case ripped on day one!  i'd probably go for a photoflex next time....

Jan 19 06 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

AllenA

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

I've got a 5-in-1 as well, but one side is pure gold not the herringbone. 

It's a 'no-name'  There was no brand on the box, on the invoice, or on the cover or anywere I can see.  Dunno what kind of marketing that is, but whatever...

The semi-translucent base is good to diffuse harsh light.  I have a customer (ok... it's my ONLY photography cutomer!) who has me do her product photography outdoors, and this is an essential piece of gear.  Of the two zippered panels, I use the silver the most, with the gold every once in a while.  I don't see any use in the white side, but I've used the black side as a background and to control light coming in from a Nth facing window.

It hates wind.

Cheers,

Allen

Jan 19 06 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Les Sterling

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Amen for the Ebay 5-in-1 reflector - just search "reflector" in the Camera & photo category and about a hundred will come up.

Although, I did use a large sheet of white foamcore with one side spraypainted gold for a while back in the way - it eventually just fell apart and did a decent job, but I like the flexy ones better, because they're easier to aim and shape.

Just my opinion smile

Jan 19 06 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Chris J Lee wrote:

Save some money and buy the bigger full body sized reflector. Starting off with a smaller one, will just mean it'll get shelved someday, or just hang around to decorate the studio.

Jan 19 06 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

I've seen great pictures taken with disposable cameras...so really....the equipment isn't all that important.  If a person can save $$$ on stuff like that I think it's awesome.  So many people feel they NEED this stuff to be good...and it's just not true.

Damn, I've been schooled!

I'm throwing away my reflector and digital SLR and getting a 110 and some Reynolds Wrap!

Jan 19 06 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Christopher Bush wrote:
i just bought a 42" x 74" silver/white thing made by impact.  i have a hell of a time closing the thing, and the case ripped on day one!  i'd probably go for a photoflex next time....

I prefer the Photofles ones myself, they do stay flatter than the cheaper one. I have the same size with Photoflex - something that size is harder to handle but the Photoflex is not too bad.

Jan 19 06 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Chris J Lee wrote:

I use white foam core inside for soft bounce, and a Larson super-silver for more specular.

Outside, I use a variety of smaller pop-ups (30-48"), a tiny silver one (folds to about 4-5" circle and stays in the case) for adding a touch of spark to the eyes, and/or a pair of Larson reflectors (42x42 and 42x78) in super-silver. The Larsons are nice because they have a leg you can use to keep them angled without having to hold them, if you can deal with the lower light angle.

Pretty much any smooth surface can work; white is great when there's direct light, while a silvered one is usually needed when the light being used to bounce isn't very bright (overcast) of when more specularity is needed.

Folding silver windshield protectors work fine for silver; they're a bit 'hotter' than I like, but that's as much a matter of taste as anything--many photo-reflectors are shinier.

Jan 19 06 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Pond Photogaphy

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:

Damn, I've been schooled!

I'm throwing away my reflector and digital SLR and getting a 110 and some Reynolds Wrap!

Go ahead and throw your gear away...u obviously missed my point.  Great for you the 5 in 1 works well.....I wasn't trying to diss you.  I was trying to share other ideas but since you seem like you want to be Mr.Sarcasm then take that 5 in 1 and shove it where the sun don't shine (u won't need reflecting there).
Have fun with the Reynolds wrap....

Jan 19 06 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I use a white cotton painter's dropcloth from Home Depot that packs up small, clips up huge and can double as a dressing room if my models ever, like, wanted to get dressed.

-Don

Jan 19 06 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

...I was trying to share other ideas but since you seem like you want to be Mr.Sarcasm then take that 5 in 1 and shove it where the sun don't shine (u won't need reflecting there).

Randy...you must be...oh...you are new here.  Eric IS the Mr Sarcasm.  Don't mind him.  smile  He's a lot of fun.  MM wouldn't be the same without him.

As for the OP, use any reflective thing.  5-in-1, foam core, mirror, sunscreen, whatever.  I once took a picture with the reflector being more expensive than the rest of the gear: a yellow VW Beetle.  smile

I do have at my disposal, 5-in-1 from Westcott, large foam core for really soft bounce and lined "poster presentation board" (which curves on both sides) as a beauty bounce from the bottom.

Jan 19 06 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

Nate Kalushner

westcott has a 6 in 1 that i just picked up for 99 bucks, its 42 inches (i think) and its square(not that it matters) but overall im very happy with it.

edit:
i'd like to note that for film work(features, television) foam core IS the reflector of choice for almost every DP ive ever worked with. and rental houses stock it in bulk

Jan 19 06 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Pond Photogaphy

lll wrote:
Randy...you must be...oh...you are new here.  Eric IS the Mr Sarcasm.  Don't mind him.  smile  He's a lot of fun.  MM wouldn't be the same without him.

As for the OP, use any reflective thing.  5-in-1, foam core, mirror, sunscreen, whatever.  I once took a picture with the reflector being more expensive than the rest of the gear: a yellow VW Beetle.  smile

I do have at my disposal, 5-in-1 from Westcott, large foam core for really soft bounce and lined "poster presentation board" (which curves on both sides) as a beauty bounce from the bottom.

I am new here, check out my whole 4 posts.....and already being hit with sarcastic replies from people.  I didn't post to make people all pissy....just trying to join a discussion......

Jan 19 06 11:02 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I am new here, check out my whole 3 posts.....and already being hit with sarcastic replies from people.  I didn't post to make people all pissy....just trying to join a discussion......

Welcome to MM.  Really, it's OK.  We're happy to have you here.

-Don

P.S.  I agree that people buy a lot of useless stuff for the wrong reasons.   But, what you gonna do.  They have to keep up with the Joneses.

Jan 19 06 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Pond Photogaphy

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

Welcome to MM.  Really, it's OK.  We're happy to have you here.

-Don

P.S.  I agree that people buy a lot of useless stuff for the wrong reasons.   But, what you gonna do.  They have to keep up with the Joneses.

Thanks for the welcome, smile  I think this site is pretty amazing....very cool to talk to talented people.  I took a look at your photos and I feel like a serious amateur now.....me and my cheap equipment, lol......well, I am hear the learn I guess, even from Mr.Sarcasm, I think I'll go find out where he throws out the reflector and take his, so I don't have to buy 1.  Sounds like it's worth paying for after all..

Jan 19 06 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

robert christopher

Snohomish, Washington, US

randy, yes this site is amazing, tons of cool talent and lots of people who love to share it with you, thats rare in any field, we have all been poor artists at one point and many even had fun building soft boxes out of styrofoam coolers, tin foil relfectors, and spending hours putting ikea furniture together, but you get to a point in your life where you just want it easier than that, $90 for a reflector is nothing now to many of us, just a cost of business/hobby, sure you cant always tell from one image but you will be able to tell from hundreds of images, higher keeper ratio, you wanna/ have to shoot without a reflactor, fine, others want to, dont knock-em cause they have a few bucks

Thanks for the welcome, smile  I think this site is pretty amazing....very cool to talk to talented people.  I took a look at your photos and I feel like a serious amateur now.....me and my cheap equipment, lol......well, I am hear the learn I guess, even from Mr.Sarcasm, I think I'll go find out where he throws out the reflector and take his, so I don't have to buy 1.  Sounds like it's worth paying for after all..

Jan 20 06 01:09 am Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

I have photoflex discs and they work well.
A lot of time though I go to home depot they sell these 4'x8' foamcore insulating panels that are silver on one side and black on the other they are easily cut to size and work great.

Paul

Jan 20 06 01:43 am Link

Photographer

Randy Pond Photogaphy

robert christopher wrote:
randy, yes this site is amazing, tons of cool talent and lots of people who love to share it with you, thats rare in any field, we have all been poor artists at one point and many even had fun building soft boxes out of styrofoam coolers, tin foil relfectors, and spending hours putting ikea furniture together, but you get to a point in your life where you just want it easier than that, $90 for a reflector is nothing now to many of us, just a cost of business/hobby, sure you cant always tell from one image but you will be able to tell from hundreds of images, higher keeper ratio, you wanna/ have to shoot without a reflactor, fine, others want to, dont knock-em cause they have a few bucks

I wasn't knocking anyone for having the money.  I guess everyone here is loaded with money then...good for you all.  However I am not, and even some professionals are not loaded with money.  I thought I was making a valid point about how certain photographic equipment isn't always the way one has to go about getting good photos.  If you can afford it, go for it.....I just think that for photography to be fun for more people, they can save $$$ and get similar results....eventually I'll use this equipment too, when I get rich like u all are.  Until then, forgive me if I don't sit here and agree that 5 in 1 reflectors are the be all and end all for making good pictures.....

Jan 20 06 10:24 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Wild Horse Photography wrote:
Save some money and buy the bigger full body sized reflector. Starting off with a smaller one, will just mean it'll get shelved someday, or just hang around to decorate the studio.

Disagree. Base the size of your light modifiers on what you're shooting and what you're trying to achieve. Let's say all you want to do is bring a little more light to the face without lighting the body. Kinda tough to have that control with something as big and bulky as a full body reflector.

Diffusion, silver, and white should be enough to get you started (gold just seems too warm for me).  And invest in either a good reflector holder or an assistant.

If you don't want to spend the money then improvise. Car shades work. Foam core works. Hell I've used picnic tables before.

Jan 20 06 10:36 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

VirtuaMike wrote:

Let's say all you want to do is bring a little more light to the face without lighting the body. Kinda tough to have that control with something as big and bulky as a full body reflector.

You got a point there Mike. In that case, I'm glad I got the little one too. Lol.

You know, I'm kinda surprised no one mentioned car windshield reflectors (the one that keeps the sun from heating up the inside of the car?). Those work pretty good too. Somewhat flimsy, but... One time I used a large tupper ware bowl plastic cover for diffusing my flash.

Jan 20 06 10:44 am Link

Photographer

c s e

i bought a 4 x 8 sheet of some sort of home insulation board at home depot.  it's about 2 inches thick and silver on one side.  then, from samy's camera (i live in los angeles), i bought a sheet of 4 x 8 foam core.  cut both boards in half, then married them with white gaffer's tape.  now, i have two durable 4 x 4 reflectors with white on one side and silver on the other.  i don't know the 5 in 1 that everyone is raving about here.  i come from motion pictures where it is all bounce cards.  i like the idea of the 5 in 1, but prefer the rigidity of foam.

best.

c

Jan 20 06 10:44 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

One time I used a large tupper ware bowl plastic cover for diffusing my flash.

I used my Costco card to bounce my built-in flash.

Jan 20 06 10:48 am Link

Photographer

SFMoe

Chicago, Illinois, US

VirtuaMike wrote:

I used my Costco card to bounce my built-in flash.

hey that works big_smile i think i might test with my gnc card ( it is gold after all ) lol

great thread going on big_smile ...

I personally have a white/silver small photoflex circular reflector but now i do think that 5 in 1 might be a nice thing to play around with big_smile ..

tin foil (reynolds wrap and such ) works well for silver reflector, but so you dont get a weird light warp, try distressing the material before using it ( crumple the shit of out it ) it might not make sense but it does offer a more controled reflection

Jan 20 06 11:22 am Link

Photographer

AllenA

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

I wasn't knocking anyone for having the money.  I guess everyone here is loaded with money then...good for you all.  However I am not, and even some professionals are not loaded with money.  I thought I was making a valid point about how certain photographic equipment isn't always the way one has to go about going.  If you can afford it, go for it.....I just think that for photography to be fun for more people, they can save $$$ and get similar results....eventually I'll use this equipment too, when I get rich like u all are.  Until then, forgive me if I don't sit here and agree that 5 in 1 reflectors are the be all and end all for making good pictures.....

Heck, there are some sites where the photographers will put you down if you don't have  a half-dozen studio lights and 50 light modifiers: barn doors, softboxes, ringlights, etc.... (oh... and 30 different shades of marbled muslin backdrops).

I'd love to be a  gear-head/tech fan-boy, but that's just not possible for me either right now. At least here there are many willing to let you know how you can MacGyver things up.

Cheers,

Allen

Jan 20 06 11:32 am Link

Photographer

East Coast Visual Media

Altamonte Springs, Florida, US

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:

You know they make colored Reynolds now?!  Red, green, and all sorts of stuff!

Jan 20 06 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

7th Sense Photography

Hoboken, New Jersey, US

I agree. I have the Impact 42"x72" 5-in-1 oval, and a stand (which is cheaper and sometimes more intelligent than an assistant...) to boot. Even with an assistant, you can use the translucent as a scrim and let the assistant work the white/silver/gold.

Grab a few sandbags while you're at it. A large reflector is a very effective sail...

Jan 20 06 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Along with the Photoflex 5 in 1, I have this

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control … ype=search

Very handy and relatively cheap compared to the Photoflex one.

Jan 20 06 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Christopher Bush wrote:

Photoflex is well-made. Not all that wild about all their other gear, but their reflectors are ok.

Honestly I don't like using them much but I do when called for.

Jan 20 06 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Darkroomist

Saginaw, Michigan, US

I use the following:

36" 5-in1
Survival blankets, $2ea
foam core, white in one side black on the other makes a good flag too
4'x8'x.25" insulation board, $9/sheet at HD, cut into thirds and tape back together for portability, great for window light shots.

Jan 20 06 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I just picked up a 42" Wescott 4-in-1 along with a stand and holder..  Pathetic but true, I'm having a helluva time figuring out how best to use it..  There's a lot less info out there on positioning reflectors than there is on positioning lights..  And the modeling light on my strobe doesn't help a whole hell of a lot..

Anyone got any tips?  Right now I've got 1 light and the reflector (and a softbox, bot that's beside the point..)  In a week I'll have three more lights..  So any tips would be welcome, especially before I'm over my head in parts..

Jan 20 06 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Jeremy DuBrul

Chicago, Illinois, US

I've built HUGE reflectors out of fome-core and use two taped together in order to cerate a huge, even soft box to hit the backgound with and wash out the white.

I also use foil insulating material as floor reflectors and to "line the set" with, moving much of the light very forward.

I've used mirrors, aluminum foil, the 5-1, Wescott zebra pattern and also Calumet/ Redwing Strataflex. They all have their diffret qualities and they all work.

Jan 21 06 02:32 am Link