Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Any Ideas for a pregnant model?

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

I got a last minute shoot ( thursday) to work with a pregnant model. I don't know how useful it will be to my portfolio but it seems like it could be fun and good experience. She says she wants different and creative shots and may submit some to "pregnancy magazines", which honestly I didn't know existed.

I've already come up with a VERY watered down version of my orginal idea which was to have her "barefoot and pregnant" In a vintage housedress. my other idea was to have her in a bikini and accessorise from there. Other than that I'm fresh out of ideas and while I want to do this I'm really booked up with two OTHER last minute shoots, as well as the usual end of month shuffle to keep the lights and phone on  and don't have a ton of time and energy to invest in it. I figure I should come up with at least ONE more idea but I'm stumped AND I have no access to maternity clothes beyond what the model brings and certainly no money with which to do the "purchase and return" bit.

Any ideas anyone has will be appreciated

Jan 30 06 04:19 am Link

Photographer

Stanley

Los Angeles, California, US

If you could get her all Pleasantville like Marley Shelton in Pleasantville and maybe a pom pom in one arm, and another at her feet, that might be interesting. tongue

Jan 30 06 04:31 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

Huh ? I don't get it...You mean Margaret??  Plus this lady is 28 so dressing her as a cheerleader would be kind of odd. Also there is the consideration of finding a cheerlading uniform that would fit a woman who is 6 or 7 months pregant on three days notice.

Jan 30 06 05:22 am Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

Find a pregnancy magazine.

https://img2.modelmayhem.com/051009/08/43491bc6736c9.jpg

Jan 30 06 05:31 am Link

Makeup Artist

Meredith VanSickle

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Depending on how much you want to put into this shoot, you could find a henna artist *I'd pick one from the Certified Henna Artist list, because they adhere to certain rules that will protect a pregnant mother from the henna that can be harmful to her or the baby* and take some pictures of the henna going on, then the henna as it dries, and the final product. I did henna for a pregnant woman once, and was beautiful. The photographs were amazing. However, they are in an album somewhere.

Jan 30 06 06:02 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

Meredith VanSickle wrote:
Depending on how much you want to put into this shoot, you could find a henna artist *I'd pick one from the Certified Henna Artist list, because they adhere to certain rules that will protect a pregnant mother from the henna that can be harmful to her or the baby* and take some pictures of the henna going on, then the henna as it dries, and the final product. I did henna for a pregnant woman once, and was beautiful. The photographs were amazing. However, they are in an album somewhere.

Cool idea but no time and no budget to pay the henna person. SIGH. Why do I agree to do these things at the last second??

"I'm just a girl who can't say no, I'm in a terrible fix..."

Jan 30 06 06:07 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

hire a body painter, i just did a a shoot with a beautifull big bellied lady who was expecting twins and I painted belly to look like Van Gough "Starry Night" and she kinda "held " her belly in the shoot it look so great and we did a bunch of sillouetts and the typical nudes covering all the nauty bits with a soft cloth. and shot them in Black and White.  if you need more help im am sure you can check out things on the internet.

Jan 30 06 02:18 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Nadine Make-up Artist

Düsseldorf, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

yeah I would go with body painting too. there must be a makeup artist or so close to you who would do a shot for TFP/TFCD

Jan 30 06 02:22 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Meredith VanSickle

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I'm sure there is a henna artist that would do it TFP.... Check the net for some in your area. There is a henna forum somewhere that has a lot awesome people on it, I just don't have time to look for it now,but google Henna, forum and you'll find em I'm sure!

Jan 31 06 06:45 am Link

Makeup Artist

Meredith VanSickle

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I had another thought...
        Take lipstick even, and draw a big heart around her belly. Thats simple, its $2 for a tube, requires only a person who can draw a heart, and its a statement of love... which is a baby.... right? did I think this one through too much?

Jan 31 06 06:47 am Link

Photographer

Loren Scott Photography

Valley Center, California, US

Maternity shots are becoming more and more popular.  If she is attractive and the shots would add value to your portfolio for attracting other maternity shot work, that is great.

Check out the maternity gallery at my site for some pose ideas -- www.LorenScott.net.

The body painting ideas sound fun too!  I'll have to remember that.  smile

--Loren--

Jan 31 06 10:12 am Link