Forums > Model Colloquy > Thigh size

Model

Genii

Tampa, Florida, US

does anyone know the average inch measurements of a high fashion model's thighs?

May 06 08 11:38 pm Link

Model

Ivy Jo

Amarillo, Texas, US

Not a clue. I have been told by a veteran runway model that there were designers who wouldn't use her because she had "dancers thighs." That is to say she had a healthy amount of muscle. Especially on European runways, the models legs usually look emaciated, even if their otherwise healthy looking.

May 07 08 10:39 am Link

Model

Kaeti

Olympia, Washington, US

Ivy Bressler wrote:
Not a clue. I have been told by a veteran runway model that there were designers who wouldn't use her because she had "dancers thighs." That is to say she had a healthy amount of muscle. Especially on European runways, the models legs usually look emaciated, even if their otherwise healthy looking.

You'll probably hear this a billion times, but some bodies (many belonging to models) are naturally built that way.  I have natural Bambi-legs.  I have always been athletic, and I consistantly engage in activities that work my leg muscles (dancing, martial arts, etc.).  My legs are toned, but still awkwardly skinny.  My mom, on the other hand, is also very athletic; however, she easily builds muscle around her legs when she works out.  We just have completely different body types.

As for the average measurements...no idea.

May 07 08 10:55 am Link

Model

Spiro Scindo

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Why did you start a second thread asking the same thing?

May 07 08 11:52 am Link

Model

Ivy Jo

Amarillo, Texas, US

Mostly its up to the designer, if the rest of your lok is what they want and your professional, most will overlook your thighs if they're a little big. And there are the designers who like a more muscled/defined leg.

May 07 08 12:01 pm Link

Model

Yasmineamali

San Francisco, California, US

The average measurements for thighs are 16 inches to 18 inches , keep in mind these are standards for taller girl at least 5'9 smile

May 07 08 12:13 pm Link

Model

Genii

Tampa, Florida, US

Thank you everyone! I started the other thread cuz this one was from the day prior and it wasnt getting responded to. You can ignore this one and post on "Does anyone know...?" from now on please as to not clog up the forums!

Thank you!!!

May 07 08 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Bryson Photography

Hollywood, Florida, US

Spyro wrote:
Why did you start a second thread asking the same thing?

Yeah, what she said.

I thought maybe this time it was a rant about KFC.

May 07 08 01:10 pm Link

Model

Revel

Richland, Washington, US

Yasmineamali wrote:
The average measurements for thighs are 16 inches to 18 inches , keep in mind these are standards for taller girl at least 5'9 smile

o_o There is no hope for my legs. I don't think I could lose more than an inch on my thighs without starting to break down muscle.

May 07 08 01:48 pm Link

Model

Jan Shultis

San Diego, California, US

Revel wrote:

o_o There is no hope for my legs. I don't think I could lose more than an inch on my thighs without starting to break down muscle.

There is a lot of work out there that doesn't require legs this slim..... find what suits you and your body and makes you feel good, and then perfect it!  For comparison, when I was powerlifting, I got jobs with 24 inch thighs, because that's how big they have to be to squat almost 3 times your bodyweight, lol.  Now that I do figure and fitness, my thighs are down to 20.5 inches, but they're not getting much smaller....... and at a glorious height of 5 feet, 4 inches (on a tall day), with legs like tree trunks, there is still work to be had off of the runway

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

May 07 08 02:12 pm Link

Model

Lucine

Northwest, North Carolina, US

Yasmineamali wrote:

Holy stuffing. Mine are like 20 inches and I'm a short one!

May 07 08 02:15 pm Link

Model

Kaeti

Olympia, Washington, US

Yasmineamali wrote:

Heh.  I'd be set if I wasn't shorty-dorty...

Revel, your legs are perfect!  I would kill to have your figure.

May 07 08 02:55 pm Link

Model

Creme brule

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Sep 04 09 06:41 am Link

Photographer

Eros Studios

Boston, Massachusetts, US

High Fashion?  0.5"... big_smile

Sep 04 09 07:11 am Link

Model

Xaphania

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

Mmm... mine are 19 inches (I have just measured them for the first time in my life lol), I'm 5'8, and no agency, stylist or fashion photographer has ever complained or made a single comment about it. Then again, I don't do high fashion runway... but still I think the important measurement is hips (which for fashion models would ideally be around 34)

Sep 04 09 08:57 am Link

Model

Z A N Z A N

York Harbour, Guam, US

Yasmineamali wrote:

ooohhh sad I hate my legs.... 19-20" thighs and 35" bum....  lost weight everywhere else but not there of course lol.... where did you find that info btw?

Sep 04 09 09:08 am Link

Model

Xaphania

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

Alexandra Evelyn wrote:

ooohhh sad I hate my legs.... 19-20" thighs and 35" bum....  lost weight everywhere else but not there of course lol.... where did you find that info btw?

Just seen your pictures... there is no way you need to lose inches from your thighs (or anywhere else). I think the 16-18'' is way too much- 18 to 20'' would be more close to the truth.
Anyway, I never heard about agencies asking for thigh measurement, so I assume that as long as your hips are ok, you thights will be too- there's no way you can have  34-35'' hips if your thighs are too big, right?

Sep 04 09 09:21 am Link

Model

-Aviva-

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Alexandra Evelyn wrote:

ooohhh sad I hate my legs.... 19-20" thighs and 35" bum....  lost weight everywhere else but not there of course lol....?

you're not the only one who hates her legs... sad

Sep 04 09 11:56 pm Link

Model

Corkii_B

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I've always been told 17"-20" is the standard, depending on height (i.e.: to maintain the same silhouette, 'shorter' models need to have smaller thighs than those at the taller end of the spectrum). Hip measurement is more important than thigh measurement though smile

Sep 05 09 05:33 am Link

Model

ciaogoodbyeadios

Los Angeles, California, US

My thighs are 19 1/2 inches. They are often complained about.

Most of the girls I've seen who do runway have thighs 16-18 inches.

Sep 05 09 08:46 am Link

Model

VasilisaK

London, England, United Kingdom

Mine are 18'', I'm 5'9'' but I wouldn't consider them spindly, or as skinny as a lot of fashion model legs.

Sep 05 09 11:27 am Link

Model

MissSybarite

Thighs = 18" of muscle smile
Head = 22" of brains and skull wink

Sep 05 09 11:33 am Link

Model

Eden Boehler

Round Rock, Texas, US

Paul Bryson Photography wrote:

Yeah, what she said.

haha for real that's what we need

Sep 05 09 11:36 am Link

Photographer

netmodel

Austin, Texas, US

Funny you mentioned about thigh size because there was a new study showing that skinny thighs are not good.

"Having thighs that are too skinny may be a sign of increased risk of death or heart disease, a Danish study shows."

http://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/news … RSS_PUBLIC

Edit: there's another thread on this one.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=497912

sorry about it.

Sep 05 09 11:37 am Link

Model

corissa leigh

Asia, Lima Provincias, Peru

idk mine are 18...

in 31-24-34

my thighs are 18 but i think they look huge and honestly i thought this before this post...

photo:[/img]) .https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=597352254704&set=t.57301898&type=3&theater.[/img])

[/img])https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … =3&theater[/img])

Oct 09 13 08:08 pm Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

Paul Bryson Photography wrote:
Yeah, what she said.

OMG I have chicken legs! small at the bottom and big at the top. KFC bad word, bad word lol

Oct 09 13 09:36 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

Revel wrote:

well, that's basically what those models do to slim their thighs down; break down muscle. same for arms. Unless you naturally have small upper legs (it happens! my mom is a size 12 and she has a thigh gap big_smile), it's really hard to have tiny thighs and a healthy amount of muscle at the same time. Maybe with a very thought out training regime that targets certain muscle groups and that also envolves a lot of stretching.

(this is just my personal experience with models that I know and see though, and only for fashion)

Oct 09 13 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Genii wrote:
does anyone know the average inch measurements of a high fashion model's thighs?

Wouldn't worry about it that much. A typical high fashion model at 5' 10" and 115 to 120 lb would have to be very unusual to have thick thighs.

Oct 09 13 11:23 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Some of my fitting charts seem to use 19.5 inches as an average for 5'8".  The model in my port in the canyon walls has 19.5 inch thighs as I used her as a fit model.

The calves seem to wander with both a high calf and low calf measurement where some dancers get a blocky upper calf shape.  Too small and the knees get boney and prominent.

Funny how a 1/4" change can really make the calves look odd to the eye.  Same for that upper arm on the backside (i.e. flabby Bingo arms), or even less to throw off eye symmetry which makes for the alien eye requiring some corrective warp tool work in PS at times.

Oct 09 13 11:53 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

thread is from 2008. damn you zombies!!!

Oct 10 13 12:01 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Anna Adrielle wrote:
thread is from 2008. damn you zombies!!!

Yup, I was just about to post saying "omg, welcome back"... then saw the person wasn't back

Oct 10 13 12:25 am Link

Photographer

JONATHAN RICHARD

New York, New York, US

When shooting an Atsuko Kudo look book the stylist provided stockings between 18 to 19 inch for the fittings.  Zombies or not this may be relevant to someone.

Oct 10 13 03:50 am Link

Model

JadeDRed

London, England, United Kingdom

netmodel wrote:
Funny you mentioned about thigh size because there was a new study showing that skinny thighs are not good.

"Having thighs that are too skinny may be a sign of increased risk of death or heart disease, a Danish study shows."

http://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/news … RSS_PUBLIC

Edit: there's another thread on this one.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=497912

sorry about it.

It seems to be generally accepted that carrying your weight low, hips, arse and thighs, is better than carrying your weight higher, stomach, chest and arms from a health perspective. Of course it's not really something you can do much about.

Oct 10 13 08:23 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Damn, I have 23 inch thighs. I'm just shit outta luck.

Oct 10 13 11:51 am Link

Photographer

PaulHomsyPhotography

Genii wrote:

around 22 to 24 inches for a tall model.

Oct 11 13 10:41 am Link

Model

K I C K H A M

PaulHomsyPhotography wrote:

around 22 to 24 inches for a tall model.

False.

That is, unfortunately, HUGE for a fashion model.

Mine are 19 1/2 ish and I get a LOT of crap for that.

Also, this is a zombie thread. But it's October so I think Zombies are supposed to be here....

Oct 11 13 10:44 am Link

Model

Saedcantas

Saint Saviour, Saint Saviour, United Kingdom

It never ceases to amaze me how differently we can be built big_smile

My thighs are 23" and my calves are 15" (nearly runway thigh size!)

Oct 12 13 11:17 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Yasmineamali wrote:

Mine are big. I'm 5'10" and used to be a runner for many years and am thick with my -oops, edit, 19.5" (biggest at the top) thighs.

Jen

Oct 12 13 08:58 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

pfrt, all of you have skinny thighs :p

just measured mine... a solid 30 inches! when I did fashiondesign, a size 0 skirt (a european 0 that is, not vanity sizing) would fit exactly around one thigh. my thighs (okay, and most of my body :p) were literally about twice as big as the fashionmodels coming in for fittings and castings.

at my slimmest, I was still around 27 inches for my thighs (not that I've ever been thin, but still)

Oct 13 13 03:41 pm Link

Clothing Designer

CottonCandie

San Francisco, California, US

If only there was public outrage 5 years ago about this as there is now...

http://news.yahoo.com/us-teens-dangerou … 49785.html

Oct 13 13 11:23 pm Link