Forums > Newbie Forum > Models with dreadlocks

Model

Katie-Dawn

Kettering, England, United Kingdom

I love my dreads!!! Ive had them since September.
Have been in talks with agencies that have said they will need a variety of shots for a z-card so invested in a wig after contemplating getting rid of them but I just cudnt do it.
I haven't had any shoots with my wig as yet but since joining mm in June I have had loads of photographers wanting to shoot with me so keep on pursuing it.
dreads rule!! Never forget that.
xxx :-)

Jul 05 08 05:47 pm Link

Model

Cindy Stamps

Portland, Oregon, US

I didn't have my dreads for that long. I couldn't handle the itch.

Talk with Wynd. She seems to have some awesome work with rad photographers even near your area I think.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/wyndmulysa

Jul 05 08 05:51 pm Link

Model

I Belong To Myself

Usa, Ōita, Japan

Necromancer wrote:
So...after being turned down twice in a row for doing something wildly controversial, I was wondering...are there ANY photographer with the balls to shoot a girl with dreadlocks? Apparently from the reactions I have gotten so far, it seems my unique hairstyle may break the lens. Whatever happened to originality? I guess it only applies when you are "as original as everyone else".

I'm a photographer as well and I would love to work with you...
Love your look and personality...
Lolita

Jul 05 08 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

slave to the lens

Woodland Hills, California, US

Necromancer wrote:
So...after being turned down twice in a row for doing something wildly controversial, I was wondering...are there ANY photographer with the balls to shoot a girl with dreadlocks? Apparently from the reactions I have gotten so far, it seems my unique hairstyle may break the lens. Whatever happened to originality? I guess it only applies when you are "as original as everyone else".

Two models in my area had big braggy dreads when initially approached..we set up a shoot and they had been shaved over the ensuing months... I'm happy though as we had some rocking shots.

I'll shoot the shit outta dreads, chelseas, liberty spikes... I dig it all.

Let me know next time you're round L.A. if you're into it.

Jul 05 08 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

B Browder Photo

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Necromancer wrote:

I don't think it takes balls, I would love to.

Jul 05 08 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

Necromancer wrote:

i have many times and often display those images in my port.

Jul 05 08 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

Bernie Browder  wrote:

I don't think it takes balls, I would love to.

cmon man, you got balls of brass and you know it, you always kick butt

Jul 05 08 06:31 pm Link

Model

nope nope nope

Aberdeen, New South Wales, Australia

Seriously?! Geez, as an alt./fetish model one would assume your dreads (which are fucking AWESOME by the way) would work to your advantage. Especially in a place like Cali where things are considerably less conservitive than the rest of the country.

Man, that's weird. I don't get it either. 0_o

Jul 05 08 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

Nothing wrong with dreads, and they aren't all that uncommon over here on the coast.  Maybe you just need to find a few photographers outside of Fresno?

Jul 05 08 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

El Mercurio

Houston, Texas, US

My problem is I never can find any models with dreads!

Jul 05 08 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Anastasia BeverHousen

ad̨-D̨āli', ad-Dāli', Yemen

Dreadlocks happen to rule! I used to have some myself! I miss them sometimes. I would totally shoot someone with dreads!

Jul 05 08 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Devon

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Check my portfolio and you will find a female model at the very bottom with dreadlocks and I think she does pretty well. BTW i love models with Locs

Jul 05 08 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

Frenzy Media Services

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

Let me know when you're on the east coast

Jul 05 08 07:32 pm Link

Model

LoveLifeBlythe

Rochester, New York, US

It was the opposite for me. People were mad that I cut my locs. My hair made me stand out, and now, I'm still pretty original with my style, but no waist length fun to style...

Just keep looking, hopefully you'll find some appreciation, if not, move on- traveling is good for the spirit smile

Jul 05 08 09:42 pm Link

Model

LOVESELF

Greenbelt, Maryland, US

I just want to do head shot's of my locks, I love coloring my lock, curling my lock, styling them in so many ways.  I take great pride in my locks.

Mar 13 09 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

Los Angeles, California, US

Tracey Carter wrote:
I just want to do head shot's of my locks, I love coloring my lock, curling my lock, styling them in so many ways.  I take great pride in my locks.

NO NO NO NO NO!

THIS IS AN OLD THREAD...

why would you comment in it like it's new?

God, Locs aren't a deadly sin Tracey, stop making a big deal out of them.

Mar 13 09 02:35 pm Link

Model

Kitty_Valentine

Basildon, England, United Kingdom

I don't see why photographers won't shoot you because of that.
I would've thought that you won't have a problem with that.
Silly photographers.

- Kitty V

May 09 11 07:26 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Necromancer wrote:

I have and will again if the opportunity comes up. I love the look of dreadlocks. If you were in NY, I would shoot you in a heartbeat.

EDIT: Old thread, I hate posing on old threads sad

May 09 11 07:47 am Link

Photographer

I Paul Jacob

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Move to AZ and I will be sure to notice.

Seriously, where you are may be filled with people how are being commissioned to do specific work and you may not fit the required standard.

The good news for you is that there are photographers on this site around the country and world that are creating there own work, without worrying about some publication or designers request. They are creating there own lane.

Your look is amazing and if you were in town. I would shoot with you in a heartbeat.

Good luck and make sure to learn from set back and not allow it to disable your dream.

Parks

May 09 11 09:02 am Link

Photographer

Eralar

Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada

I do love dreads too... but not many models with them in my area.

With your look, I'd shoot you anytime... and the dreads make you just more appalling (hope it's the good word smile ).

But you also need to understand that sometimes, photogs will have a set idea of what they want to do with a particular shoot. So it might be disheartening to see your model arrive on set with dreads... I can see the image, and the Hair Dresser face big_smile

May 09 11 04:20 pm Link

Model

Elle Black UK Model

London, England, United Kingdom

Is it right that the starter of this thread and a few others have now got rid of their dreads?

Well I love mine and have managed to build my reputation to the point that I shoot with photographers that wouldn't generally use dreads and or don't use them as a feature as well as some that absolutely love them and shoot with me specifically for them.

Obviously the majority of commercial modelling is surrounding a certain look and dreads aren't typically that but I feel times-a-changing.

Nudity and tattoos are appearing more and more in the commercial market so watch this space - I'm making it one of my missions to get dreads out there more!

(Currently recording for TV including live on Sky, appeared in films, and constantly shooting - embracing my dreads totally)

Nov 12 11 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Albertex Photography

Mansfield, Texas, US

Elle Black UK Model wrote:
Is it right that the starter of this thread and a few others have now got rid of their dreads?...

You do realize this thread was started three years ago.

Nov 12 11 09:01 am Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

Are you willing to pay the photographer? When many photographers are looking for something specific they realize the model should be paid. The same should be true of models. Your preferences are your preferences.

Have you offered to pay a photographer to shoot you in dreadlocks? If not, why?

Gabby

Nov 12 11 10:03 am Link

Photographer

Yves Duchamp - Femme

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Necromancer wrote:

Dreadlocks are really limiting. I have balls. Big balls and they jingle like a lot of keys. But I'd rather not shoot models with dreadlocks (unless I'm being paid.) Nothing person, and I'm still plenty original.

What I'd recommend is to knock on the doors of all the good alt photographers you can find!

Nov 12 11 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Darren Sermon

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Don't let your spirits get down..that's the thing about originality, it's rare.

Keep searching, good luck.

Nov 12 11 11:09 am Link