Forums > General Industry > What are Goth and Alternative models?

Photographer

AllenA

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Double quote hell here...

Feb 14 06 08:24 am Link

Photographer

AllenA

GOTHICHANGMAN STUDIOS wrote:

AllenA wrote:
EDIT:
and what kind of Goth doesn't aspire to death anyway....

Not all Goths aspire towards death in some hellbent nihilistic fashion,some of us embrace the greater mysteries of life and death. My thoughts are we choose to acknowlege the brutality and ugliness that so often accompany human nature.
Goths often do have a wicked playfull sense of humor and are often not as limited in self expression we can enjoy rays sunlight on a spiders web or a skull!

Zeo wrote:

One that likes the style and attitude, but deons't care for the suicidal philosophy perhaps?

OK... for the love of the goddess... do you two want a fucking goth smiley-face after my little comment there?

Tounge. In. Cheek.

With. A. Grain. Of. Salt.

/enable font sarcasticus

I post like 32 messages on this thread and you two 'hardcores' wanna fuck with one cute line from ONE of my posts?  Go fix your eyeliner.

Feb 14 06 08:46 am Link

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

AllenA wrote:

GOTHICHANGMAN STUDIOS wrote:

AllenA wrote:
EDIT:
and what kind of Goth doesn't aspire to death anyway....

Not all Goths aspire towards death in some hellbent nihilistic fashion,some of us embrace the greater mysteries of life and death. My thoughts are we choose to acknowlege the brutality and ugliness that so often accompany human nature.
Goths often do have a wicked playfull sense of humor and are often not as limited in self expression we can enjoy rays sunlight on a spiders web or a skull!

OK... for the love of the goddess... do you two want a fucking goth smiley-face after my little comment there?

Tounge. In. Cheek.

/enable font sarcasticus

I post like 32 messages on this thread and you two 'hardcores' wanna fuck with one cute line from ONE of my posts?  Go fix your eyeliner.

You evil Gothknocker you!!

Feb 14 06 08:54 am Link

Photographer

AllenA

Sirensong wrote:
You evil Gothknocker you!!

mmmhuuuahhhahhahhahha!

EDIT:  sorry folks... that was supposed to be my typed rendition of an evil laugh.  For those of you who got it, I hope I didn't scare you .... for those of you who didn't get it...err... it was SUPPOSED to be an evil laugh....

Feb 14 06 08:56 am Link

Photographer

Louis Guidone

Woodside, New York, US

LOL man you're dressed for it in that pic.  I was an 'industrial' model when I was in school for music first and then photography.  Would have been nice if people would have given me the prints they promised.  I listen to the music and go to the clubs and have known Kraftwerk and Depeche Mode kind of stuff since 13 so I guess that makes me 'lifestyle industrial' and it also helps to make electronic music and know how to use power tools.  But seriously, go to wickedtalent.com and see what it's all about.  And don't go to hot topic!

Feb 14 06 08:56 am Link

Photographer

Louis Guidone

Woodside, New York, US

Forgot to address one of your questions...  is there a market for it...  whay are half the girls tied up here???  Yes it is marketable but a small portion of the market.  That's why when I see another photographer in a club they are wearing dirty denim jeans and scared shit.  One does not understand what one does not know.

Feb 14 06 09:00 am Link

Model

Sirensong

LouisGuidone wrote:
hot topic!

*insert evil B-movie horror vampire type hissing here*

Feb 14 06 09:01 am Link

Photographer

Louis Guidone

Woodside, New York, US

Forgot to address one of your questions...  is there a market for it...  why are half the girls in vinyl or tied up here???  Yes it is marketable but a small portion of the market.  I hate scouting in the city because some of the most amazing girls think it's a pick-up line.  When I see another photographer in a club they are wearing dirty denim jeans and scared shit.  One does not understand what one does not know.

Feb 14 06 09:02 am Link

Photographer

Louis Guidone

Woodside, New York, US

BTW if someone is dressed like Neo...  that's cosplay really.  I've seen a guy in The Batcave like that.  Rope is bondage.  Leather, latex, rubber are fetish...  whips are dom, gags are sub...  fangs are for vampires...  glow sticks are for ravers, corsets are medieval but can be goth or fetish.  Underworld was goth, Van Helsing was not.  Underground people don't really like being genrefied.  With fashion as in music, there are many many subgenres it would make your brain explode.

Feb 14 06 09:10 am Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

I have just gotten interested in this lately and am planning a shoot with 3 cute goth girls here.  Wanting to do a series of them called Gothic Beauties or something along that line.  It will be interesting, totally different for me!

Feb 14 06 09:18 am Link

Model

Miss Christina

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

AllenA wrote:

I'd love to have a whole thread on you alone.  You deserve it.  Especially 'cause of your 'legs' shot.  Start one and I'll contribute (err.. if you want my rantings!)

Cheers,

Allen

Thanks man smile Maybe I should be in the legs department then LOL

Feb 14 06 10:44 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Nihilus wrote:

I really dig the look you have. Renaissance is a good adjective. My general wardrobe is a bit of an oddity as well, to the point where I'm claiming pioneering rights on "metro goth". big_smile

My style is in development smile I like the direction of alternative modeling vs. trying to fit into the norm.  I just did a shoot this last weekend with some alternative looks will post soon. I always prefer niche markets because it is easier to stand out.  "Metro Goth" is a very cool term.  Maybe I will help you pioneer it:)

Another question: Is the Goth and Alternative styles mostly for women? Is there much of a male market for Alternative/Goth models?

And also, what regions around the world are popular for Alternative/Goth modeling?  It seems that it has a presence almost everywhere.  But, is it more predominant in places like Eastern Europe or the UK for instance?

Anyway, thanks all for this great info on the subject!

Feb 14 06 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

GOTHIC HANGMAN STUDIOS

New York, New York, US

AllenA wrote:

Tounge. In. Cheek.

/enable font sarcasticus

You seem to have a "GOTH GRUDGE" I'd stick my eyeliner pencil where those upsidedown stars never shine and pour dead sea water down your gizzard! Who said goths have a sense of humor...LoL!

As for a smiley faces thats for Former Little Nancy Style Goths like you!
The debate of Style VS. Philosophy it's always gonna differ some but the pure  Necromancy often is the constant variable,we dont have to put up with the personality flaws of the dead or their stupid postings!

Feb 14 06 03:21 pm Link

Model

Sirensong

AllenA wrote:

mmmhuuuahhhahhahhahha!

EDIT:  sorry folks... that was supposed to be my typed rendition of an evil laugh.  For those of you who got it, I hope I didn't scare you .... for those of you who didn't get it...err... it was SUPPOSED to be an evil laugh....

I was scared.

Real B_movie type scared with a long drawn out slow time scream and my hands up against my face.

Oh sh*t no..that was Macauley Culken...

Feb 14 06 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

Alternative is a little more all-inclusive, although still counterculture; most goths would probably not object to also being called alternative, but certainly not everyone who considers themselves alternative would be a goth.  Most, under either name, would hold values which differ from those of mainstream society.  Thus, while it can be only a look, for many it's a way of thinking, a way of life.

I'm not real crazy about the stereotyping, although a lot of these folks do it to themselves.  But if you'd like a good laugh, check out Voltaire's tongue-in-cheek book "what is goth?"  He has lots of fun doing parodies of his own cultural background.

I do find it a bit amusing to discuss contemporary goth, as someone who photographed Bauhaus and Nick Cave and Siouxsie in 1981.  But even I'm a youngster, relatively speaking; Richard Davenport-Hine's makes a solid case that the dark gothic genre has been around for at least 400 years, and is represented in things as diverse as architecture, literature (I'm reading Richard Beckford's "Vathek," written in 1816, right now), film, art, and much more.

Feb 14 06 04:27 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Alt modeling is a grey area.  (I think)  I've been told I'm an alt model, and I've been told I'm not.  I think it's starting to blur a little bit, that whole alt is becoming mainstream thing.  But Alt/fetish/and Goth are definately not the same.

Feb 14 06 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Envy - Art

Kansas City, Missouri, US

To be perfectly honest....I would prefer to photography "alternative" models any day!  Glamour girl, bikini shots are a dime a dozen....I want creativity!  Unfortunately, there's not a lot of alternative models here in the midwest.  Maybe I should move to Chicago!  wink

Feb 14 06 04:33 pm Link

Model

club Jeska

Riverside, California, US

i have a tattoo but i look like a baby celebrity hmm what am i

Feb 14 06 04:37 pm Link

Model

Cher G

Los Angeles, California, US

my pictures are goth/alt/fetish.

Feb 14 06 04:41 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Cher Grepo wrote:
my pictures are goth/alt/fetish.

I can see that.

jeskavardinski wrote:
i have a tattoo but i look like a baby celebrity hmm what am i

I don't see anything alternative here. Beautiful girl with great shots though.

Feb 14 06 04:47 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Have any of you photogs shot male Alternative models?  Is there even a market for such thing?

Feb 14 06 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
Have any of you photogs shot male Alternative models?  Is there even a market for such thing?

Carve out your niche and work it. Your look is rare, and would be a great style to be furthered (I've actually eyed a few of the items on your site).

Male alternative models do have a market, although it's harder to crack the seal of greater notoriety, it seems. No reason not to try.

Feb 14 06 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

...Stacy wrote:
I've been told I'm an alt model, and I've been told I'm not.

Consider yourself also, now, told that you're stunning. Not sure where that fits in with this discussion, but...

big_smile

Feb 14 06 04:57 pm Link

Model

Sirensong

Jay Dezelic wrote:

There is DEFINATELY a market for it.

Mayhem #1341

Mayhem #83342

Feb 14 06 05:04 pm Link

Model

Aleta Pardalis

Oceanside, New York, US

Ken Mierzwa wrote:
I'm not real crazy about the stereotyping, although a lot of these folks do it to themselves.  But if you'd like a good laugh, check out Voltaire's tongue-in-cheek book "what is goth?"  He has lots of fun doing parodies of his own cultural background.

Damn! someone said it before I could tongue He now also has one out for goth home decorating called Paint it Black. It was a bit of a shock to find my bed room's style & color scheme listed there (burgandy, black & purple). Guess I can only be so much of a stealth goth chick. yes, there is such a thing. We work in jobs that pay well but aren't very tolerant of self expression. Though piercings, tatoos & drawn on eyebrows aren't my thing anyway. I'll take victorian, corsets, renaissance & even goth lolita looks over wild extremes any day. Then again I'm a non conformist who's prefrences just happen to make goth fit the best :p

Feb 14 06 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Aitken

Seattle, Washington, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:

I think the best example of an alternative male model is Perish: MM #1262.

There is a market for it, but it is pretty specialized, and I think very hard to break in to.

When I think goth, I think very young, usually, black hair, black lipstick & fingernails (both girls and guys), dark settings, dark clothes reminiscent of the Victorian era. Generally waif thin, pale, and morose looking. Can sometimes be sexy, but isn't overtly sexual. I'm sure my description will piss off some purists.

Alternative models are simply anything outside the mainstream, which can be just about anything. But to me, I usually think something way outside the mainstream, not just slightly outside.

Fetish, to me, almost always implies something sexual and kinky, which can cover a lot of territory.

Feb 15 06 12:15 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Scott Aitken wrote:
I think the best example of an alternative male model is Perish: MM #1262.

Psst...

Nihilus wrote:
Male alternative models do have a market...

wink

Feb 15 06 01:09 am Link

Photographer

AllenA

Sirensong wrote:

I was scared.

Real B_movie type scared with a long drawn out slow time scream and my hands up against my face.

Oh sh*t no..that was Macauley Culken...

A scream with you looking off-camera is 'B-movie'... face to camera is Mr. Culken.

Perhaps he was paying homage?  Or perhaps he was sending a veiled message of help?  One wonders.

Feb 15 06 10:13 pm Link

Model

Foxzdemon

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

I am an example of a gothic model. I mostly wear black and am attracted to all things dark. I'm also a metalhead. I guess Im a metal/goth

Feb 15 06 11:35 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

What parts of the world is Goth culture most common?  It seems that it is really everywhere. But, is it more predominant in places like Eastern Europe or the UK for instance?

Feb 16 06 01:13 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
What parts of the world is Goth culture most common?  It seems that it is really everywhere. But, is it more predominant in places like Eastern Europe or the UK for instance?

I have run into a decent amount of UK based goth/alt models...a bit more heavily than other locations, in my experience.

Feb 16 06 03:53 am Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

honestly, I think a person should shoot in a style they like,  Look a way they can live with happily for a long term (since people don't really like it when you change your look), and not worry so much about the catagory of modeling that they fit in.  (or if they fit into a category at all...)

Feb 16 06 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:

Can't say about the rest of the world, but there's certainly no shortage in San Francisco or LA or Chicago or Detroit or Portland.  There's got to be some action in Seattle as well, although it's been a couple of years since I've been there.  A good way to find city-specific things is to look for groups on tribe.net or livejournal, a lot of events get posted there.  Often there are even things going on in smaller places; here in Humboldt (pop. 128,000) the local goth scene centers mostly around BatKave in Arcata, a small alt-gallery.

Feb 16 06 08:51 pm Link