Forums > General Industry > pressing boundaries....

Model

Phoenix E

i have a habit of asking photographers to do shoots that are far from their normal style.....some of my favorite pictures in my portfolio are fashion shots taken by fetish photographers......
photographers--do you enjoy doing shoots that test your boundaries? does it annoy you if a model requests it?
models--have you had similar experiences? have they produced good results?

Feb 17 06 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

Phoenix E wrote:
i have a habit of asking photographers to do shoots that are far from their normal style.....some of my favorite pictures in my portfolio are fashion shots taken by fetish photographers......
photographers--do you enjoy doing shoots that test your boundaries? does it annoy you if a model requests it?

I personally love taking shots that press my boundaries and are new ideas for what I do normally.  The problem I have is that the model is there for a finite amount of time (for which I am paying, as I am shooting content for a pay-per-view website) and I need to get as many web photos as I can during that time that fit in with what my customers and I want to see. 

If I am doing a TFCD shoot with a model, then we may do other things that fall outside the usual range, although for those shoots, I offer the model a share of the sales of her photos via my site, and when they get that, they want to get as many web photos done as well...

Matter of economics really...  smile

Feb 17 06 01:22 pm Link

Model

leila

lol i thought this was about something completely different...haha

Feb 17 06 01:39 pm Link

Model

Phoenix E

yes, i should have specified, this is really in regard to TFP shoots....i don't usually do many shoots for websites. but i can imagine a photographer being really angry if i showed up for a commercial shoot with just latex and rubber..................

Feb 17 06 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

I thoroughly enjoy shooting outside of my boundaries. I feel that’s one sure way to grow as a photographer.
In my opinion I feel if anyone stays within their comfort zone and never experiments with light, shadow, textures, indoors, outdoors, wind, rain, direct sun or total blackness they stop growing.
I host a local photographer, model, makeup artist, stylist networking meeting and I pitch this mind set at my meetings. We have two complete studios set up for test shooting and you would be surprised how many photographers refrain from shooting because their not comfortable with shooting outside of their space.

I guess my approach to photography since I’m a new photographer is, “why notâ€?.
I’m slowly learning the rules to photography so I’ll know how to break them.

Great question , thank you for the post.

Feb 17 06 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I'm hoping to shoot you someday, Phoenix E, in a style that's completely outside of my norm.

Feb 17 06 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Phoenix E wrote:

I LOVE being challenged.  One girl I worked with last May asked me to do her pregnancy photos.  I warned her that I had never done it before, but she had faith in me!

http://www.pbase.com/digitalcmh/anna2

Feb 17 06 03:37 pm Link

Model

Phoenix E

Brian Diaz wrote:
I'm hoping to shoot you someday, Phoenix E, in a style that's completely outside of my norm.

sigh....oh mon cher.....i can only hope.....
i at least am making some money now....my problem has become that i have no time off....but i will still try to make it to NY

Feb 17 06 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Phoenix E wrote:
photographers--do you enjoy doing shoots that test your boundaries?

Sometimes.

Phoenix E wrote:
does it annoy you if a model requests it?

Yes.  When I'm paying, we're going to shoot my concepts.  When she's paying (ie: never), we'll shoot her concepts.

Feb 17 06 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I'm hoping to shoot you someday...

Where else could one see so much idle* chit chat about shooting someone?

-Dave

*DISCLAIMER:  The word "idle" is not necessarily meant to characterize the particular referenece referred to nor reflect on the seriousness or idleness of the accompanying dialog.  If you wish to contest this isssue, please send your complaint along with a stamped self-addressed envelope directly to the poster.  A reply may be expected within 16 weeks.  Please note that no reply should be considered a reply.

Feb 17 06 04:05 pm Link