Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > D'Oh! (who hates our freedom?)

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

Simpsons 'trump' First Amendment

Americans know more about The Simpsons TV show than the US Constitution's First Amendment, an opinion poll says.

Only one in four could name more than one of the five freedoms it upholds but more than half could name at least two members of the cartoon family.

About one in five thought the right to own a pet was one of the freedoms.

A new museum dedicated to the First Amendment said the findings showed there was a pressing need to explain one of America's basic laws better.

"We have our job cut out for us," said Joe Madeira, director of exhibitions at the McCormick Tribune Freedom Museum.

Another finding from the poll, a telephone survey of 1,000 random adults with an error margin of 3%, was that 22% of Americans could name all five Simpson characters.

By comparison, just one in 1,000 people could name all five First Amendment freedoms.

The names of American Idol TV show judges and popular advertising slogans also proved more memorable than the five freedoms - speech, religion, press, assembly and petition for redress of grievances.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4761294.stm

Mar 03 06 06:47 am Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

The Bill of Rights is like the Bible.  It means whatever certain people say it means. 

The First Amendment certainly doesn't give you the right to print the alcohol content of beer on the label (even though the law makes you print it on wine).

The Second Amendment certainly doesn't mean you have the right to own a gun, particularly of you live in the crime capital (and political capital) of the country.

The Fourth Amendment certainly doesn't protect you from warrant less evesdropping.

The Fifth Amendment certainly doesn't protect you from double jeopardy, when you can be charged with several different offenses under different jurisdictions for one crime.

Mar 03 06 09:23 am Link

Model

Claudette V

Dave Krueger wrote:
The Bill of Rights is like the Bible.  It means whatever certain people say it means. 

The First Amendment certainly doesn't give you the right to print the alcohol content of beer on the label (even though the law makes you print it on wine).

The Second Amendment certainly doesn't mean you have the right to own a gun, particularly of you live in the crime capital (and political capital) of the country.

The Fourth Amendment certainly doesn't protect you from warrant less evesdropping.

The Fifth Amendment certainly doesn't protect you from double jeopardy, when you can be charged with several different offenses under different jurisdictions for one crime.

I'm a little slow today cause I'm not getting your point.  Are you being sarcastic?

Mar 03 06 09:29 am Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Claudette V wrote:
I'm a little slow today cause I'm not getting your point.  Are you being sarcastic?

Nope.  Not being sarcastic at all.  There are so many exceptions to the rights supposedly guaranteed by the BOR that it's become nearly worthless.

Another example:  If I do pictures that show simulated sex acts, I have to keep special records under Federal law (2257) that identifies the model and all the aliases she has ever had (including married and maiden names).  That law also gives the government the right to enter my house without a warrant to inspect my records four times a year.  So much for the 4th Amendment....

Mar 03 06 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Elite Imaging

Oak Ridge, Florida, US

qphotonyc wrote:
Simpsons 'trump' First Amendment

Americans know more about The Simpsons TV show than the US Constitution's First Amendment, an opinion poll says.

Only one in four could name more than one of the five freedoms it upholds but more than half could name at least two members of the cartoon family.

About one in five thought the right to own a pet was one of the freedoms.

A new museum dedicated to the First Amendment said the findings showed there was a pressing need to explain one of America's basic laws better.

"We have our job cut out for us," said Joe Madeira, director of exhibitions at the McCormick Tribune Freedom Museum.

Another finding from the poll, a telephone survey of 1,000 random adults with an error margin of 3%, was that 22% of Americans could name all five Simpson characters.

By comparison, just one in 1,000 people could name all five First Amendment freedoms.

The names of American Idol TV show judges and popular advertising slogans also proved more memorable than the five freedoms - speech, religion, press, assembly and petition for redress of grievances.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4761294.stm

We have bred a nation of idiots where the babysitter of today is the television set, iPods, Game boys and that shit they call music that 90% of it's content is about cars, money and sex.

How sad is it when your 11 yr old kid comes home singing that trash My Humps, My milk shake brings all the boys to the yard any of the other equally mindless shit.

I dont think there is one of those crap songs that have more than one sentence of incoherent dribble repeated over and over for 5 minutes.

And then you have these idiots acting like the Pimped out money,sex and cars route is the way to go in life and as long as you got your cell phone yer good to go.

Are the results all that surprising?

Add to that all the immagrants that pour in every day that dont even know we actually have toilets to shit in and you see the end result.

Mar 03 06 10:13 am Link

Model

Claudette V

Well,  nobody is taking my f***ing gun.

Mar 03 06 10:14 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

God, you people are offensive.

Mar 03 06 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

Mar 03 06 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Claudette V wrote:

Certainly not me.  smile

Mar 03 06 10:38 am Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

all i can say is, "you don't know what you got, until it's gone" smile

Mar 03 06 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Elite Imaging

Oak Ridge, Florida, US

theda wrote:
God, you people are offensive.

Apethy and ignorance to what is happening to our moral and social structure in our world is what I find offensive.

America the great land of ours,,,,,,,Stolen from the natives of this land by the europeans.

Give the Indians guns and booze for beads and blankets, they get drunk and kill each other and when that doesn't work they kill off their food supply and force them on reservations.

If we don't learn from history, we are destined to repeat it.

You would think after 200 years everyone would figure it out.

And nobody sees it coming because they are so blinded by technology and baffled by BS.

In order to control people you have to dumb them down and keep them in the dark.

It seems to be working to perfection.

Mar 03 06 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Elite Imaging

Oak Ridge, Florida, US

Claudette V wrote:

Good for you baby,,,,Dont ever let it go!

Even if they call a ban on them with criminal consequences, Keep It.

By the time anyone knows you have it, it will be time to use it so who cares at that point.  Bring it on Mfkrs

Live free or die

Mar 03 06 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

Dave Krueger wrote:

Ah, but you see, tge constitution does guarantee us those rights. It is the government who denies them to us. Tjat is why we need a strict constructionist Supreme Court.

Mar 03 06 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

Elite Imaging wrote:

Good for you baby,,,,Dont ever let it go!

Even if they call a ban on them with criminal consequences, Keep It.

By the time anyone knows you have it, it will be time to use it so who cares at that point.  Bring it on Mfkrs

Live free or die

Hey, go get your own motto!

Mar 03 06 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

Claudette V wrote:

I think no one should have a gun except me.

Mar 03 06 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

Elite Imaging

Oak Ridge, Florida, US

Lens N Light wrote:

Hey, go get your own motto!

Look!

I spoke with General John Stark and he said you might object so how about,
"Live Free in Florida or Die"

I shall not tread on the New Hampsha slogan,,,,you fought for it in court and won,
It's yours.

Mar 04 06 07:30 am Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

All right, then.

Mar 04 06 07:46 am Link