Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Upgrade from Win 2000 Pro to XP Pro

Photographer

JT Hodges

Austin, Texas, US

So I go to upgrade my windows from 2000-Pro to XP-Pro. I get this popup box that says Windows XP-Pro cannot up grade from Windows 2000-Pro.

Now I have XP on my D drive, and none of my applications will run that are installed on my C drive. (I keep programs on C, and photo files etc on D because that drive needs to be upgraded more often.)

Anybody that can offer some assistance? I would like to avoid re-installing every piece of software I own. Please tell me there is a way to do this.

Mar 04 06 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

buy a mac maybe? i had a similar pain when i replaced my pc a couple years back and found out xp doesnt support a perfectly decent film scanner i didnt particularly feel the need to replace. i ended up installing win 98 instead. msoft really deserves all the animosity they attract.

Mar 05 06 01:14 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Try Helpshare, a lot of Microsoft developers hang out there.

It's likely that you have incompatible hardware.  Why are you upgrading anyway?  Win 2000 Pro is quite stable.

Mar 05 06 03:45 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

JT Hodges wrote:
So I go to upgrade my windows from 2000-Pro to XP-Pro. I get this popup box that says Windows XP-Pro cannot up grade from Windows 2000-Pro.

Now I have XP on my D drive, and none of my applications will run that are installed on my C drive. (I keep programs on C, and photo files etc on D because that drive needs to be upgraded more often.)

Anybody that can offer some assistance? I would like to avoid re-installing every piece of software I own. Please tell me there is a way to do this.

Also, go to www.microsoft.com and check if there's a patch or service bulletin on this issue.  I've never found a problem with Microsoft that eventually they didn't fix.  /tim

Mar 05 06 04:32 am Link

Photographer

LimbSys Photography

Jacksonville, Florida, US

As much of a pain in the ass as a complete rebuild can often be, allow me to suggest that it's less of a pain in the ass than laying a new OS over an old OS will be over the long-term. This would be true even for Macs and Linux as well. Any upgrade that's worth its weight in salt will have more changes than can reasonably be effected in what is essentially a patching operation - and sooner, rather than later, these incomplete fixes will rise up and bite ya at a most inconvenient time. Invest the effort now to save headaches later - backup documents, emails and custom settings, format that sucker and put on the new OS, reinstall any compatible software and upgrade what's left.

I always felt like Win2K was prett stable myself, and pretty well done for an m$ product. An I am no fan of microsoft by a long shot. But... XP is a good upgrade, I have to admit.

Mar 05 06 07:40 am Link

Photographer

jac3950

Freedom, New Hampshire, US

qphotonyc wrote:
buy a mac maybe? i had a similar pain when i replaced my pc a couple years back and found out xp doesnt support a perfectly decent film scanner i didnt particularly feel the need to replace. i ended up installing win 98 instead. msoft really deserves all the animosity they attract.

Yeppers.... had the same damn problem.... I had a Dell (a promotional prize - I didn't actually buy the thing) with Windows ME... finally had to replace ME with XP, and when I did the scanner quit.... couldn't find a driver for it, and finally broke down and bought a brand new scanner.... grrrr.

I, also, have had the OP's problem... what a pain in the ass.

Mar 05 06 07:47 am Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

this happens on both platforms (MAC and PC) from time to time
go to their site and get the patches
I watch our computer tech at work have to tweak the PCs whenever the changes happen
AND
I watch my buddies who own recording studios kvetch over the shift from the previous MAC OS to the latest one each time
it tends to be driver issues and third party software not being quite up to speed with the latest OS

Mar 05 06 10:49 am Link