Forums > Contests > Picture of the Day Discussion Center.

Model

AiTenshiMisha

Dayton, Ohio, US

AiTenshiMisha wrote:
Yesterday a photographer of mine (Alicia C) posted a photo of me and she won 1st place by 8-9 votes. However, when time went by (even though it declared that said she was the winner for May 19th), her photo got removed and the 2nd place winner took over. We were confused on why it got removed?

I, myself put in a picture of myself on May 18th (completely different photographer and photo set) and won POTD...but it had nothing to do with that photographer (Alicia C) for the 19th, is there a reason why her photo got deleted?? Is it because I was the model in her photo and that I won the day before? Even though I never submitted the photo??

bump smile

May 22 11 07:28 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

AiTenshiMisha wrote:
Yesterday a photographer of mine (Alicia C) posted a photo of me and she won 1st place by 8-9 votes. However, when time went by (even though it declared that said she was the winner for May 19th), her photo got removed and the 2nd place winner took over. We were confused on why it got removed?

I, myself put in a picture of myself on May 18th (completely different photographer and photo set) and won POTD...but it had nothing to do with that photographer (Alicia C) for the 19th, is there a reason why her photo got deleted?? Is it because I was the model in her photo and that I won the day before? Even though I never submitted the photo??

This is not the story (supported by screen captures) that I have.
I am moving this discussion to CAM.

May 23 11 12:40 am Link

Model

Alyx Carbon

Norfolk, Virginia, US

May 24 11 12:37 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Alyx Carbon wrote:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/376228

This model is kinda furry.

Yup, we even get pussy pics (get your mind out of the gutter wink)

May 24 11 02:22 pm Link

Model

Miss Leilani Jade

Decatur, Alabama, US

my last 2 entries in picture of the day gallery style have disappeard.  Could you let me know if I didnt wait the 15 days, I truly thought it had been the 15 days.

Jun 04 11 12:05 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Lil Miss Jade wrote:
my last 2 entries in picture of the day gallery style have disappeard.  Could you let me know if I didnt wait the 15 days, I truly thought it had been the 15 days.

June 3 - disqualified - 15 day - last in May 24
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/potd/ent … 18-big.jpg

June 4 - disqualified - 15 day - last in May 24
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/potd/ent … 96-big.jpg

June 4 - disqualified - second entry - you are allowed to make only one entry per day
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/potd/ent … 14-big.jpg

Jun 04 11 12:19 am Link

Model

Miss Leilani Jade

Decatur, Alabama, US

JoJo wrote:

June 3 - disqualified - 15 day - last in May 24
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/potd/ent … 18-big.jpg

June 4 - disqualified - 15 day - last in May 24
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/potd/ent … 96-big.jpg

June 4 - disqualified - second entry - you are allowed to make only one entry per day
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/potd/ent … 14-big.jpg

Thank You for letting me know, I truly didnt realize and since didnt get any feedback letting me know and it was so close to being 15 days.  It didnt even dawn on me, thanks again

Jun 04 11 07:31 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Lil Miss Jade wrote:
Thank You for letting me know, I truly didnt realize and since didnt get any feedback letting me know and it was so close to being 15 days.  It didnt even dawn on me, thanks again

If you and anyone else wants to track your submissions to either the PotD or the PotD18+ use this utility:
https://www.sendu.me.uk/modelmayhem/15_ … NumberHere

Keep in mind that the dates shown are the dates you submitted the entry... NOT the day your image was in the contest.

The day you enter the contest is the day BEFORE your image appeared in the contest.

Jun 04 11 09:44 am Link

Photographer

MorittuPhotoGraphy

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Hey JoJo!

Please have a look to your CAM... ;-)

Cheers

Marco

Jun 04 11 09:55 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

MorittuPhotoGraphy wrote:
Hey JoJo!

Please have a look to your CAM... ;-)

Cheers

Marco

Done wink

Jun 04 11 11:11 am Link

Photographer

Atomic Dots Photography

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

Can anyone tell me (and if this is a wrong place to ask, please let me know), how come a photo submitted to POTD (https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/1 … 02809c.jpg) does not even show up for voting?

In fact, I checked and saw it listed as an option on "tomorrow" list, but using your utility mentioned above, it does not come up.

Did I do something wrong in how it was submitted?

Jun 07 11 07:54 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Atomic Dots Photography wrote:
Can anyone tell me (and if this is a wrong place to ask, please let me know), how come a photo submitted to POTD (https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/1 … 02809c.jpg) does not even show up for voting?

In fact, I checked and saw it listed as an option on "tomorrow" list, but using your utility mentioned above, it does not come up.

Did I do something wrong in how it was submitted?

Your image is safe and sound in the queue for tomorrow's contest.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/381187

When you enter the PotD your entry is held in the queue (along with all the others from that day) for validation for the next day's contest wink

Jun 07 11 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

Atomic Dots Photography

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

JoJo wrote:

Your image is safe and sound in the queue for tomorrow's contest.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/381187

When you enter the PotD your entry is held in the queue (along with all the others from that day) for validation for the next day's contest wink

Ok, thanks. So when you enter, you are actually entering 2 days forward.

Jun 07 11 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

Blaine Dixon

San Francisco, California, US

JoJo wrote:
Not going to happen

Why?  (Posting who votes in POTD)

Jun 13 11 12:21 am Link

Photographer

Blaine Dixon

David Simonson wrote:

How many times have you seen, received, or heard someone say... "I am only 3 votes away from being at the top of the POTD... vote for me"?

To remove the "current standings" suggestion is not because it influences the people that vote.  But it inspires and informs the people that solicit votes and therefore vote-stack in their favor.  It gives those individuals "live stats" on their vote stacking efforts.  I am not saying that this would stop vote-stacking.  But it would certainly leave those that do it... "blind" to the fruits of their efforts until the contest would be over.

Sometimes I think it inspires a contestant to vote stack, where if they had no idea where they stood in the contest (if the tallies were hidden unitl the contest is over) they might (and I use the word "might" loosely) not be inspired to send those messages out, or twitter and facebook, their pleas of "vote for me... I only need 4 more votes to be at the top".

I do not EVER, EVER... yes... EVER... think I could win... by the way.  I just think that changes to any contest, in the effort of bettering the odds and playing-filed, is a positive thing.  And not many things, when it comes to programming, code or contests is seldom perfect.  So the "if it ain't broke" theory only applies to things that are "perfect in design".

Forcing members to cast 3 votes (vs. the current 1-3 vote option) would help "spread the wealth" around.  Many people may only cast 1 vote for themselves.  So, by forcing someone to cast 3 votes would cause other entries to get votes in the process from those that only came in to vote for themselves or to vote on their "friend's" entry.

In fact for those that continue to vote stack and attract people to vote in the contest... it would actually create more votes for everyone else in the contest.

I always have agreed that showing voter's names does not do anything except go against all democratic ideals.

And as far as the earlier comment "You do remember seeing real bad photos that have 3 to 4 votes?".  Well, if someone want to cast a vote for a piece of crap... then that is their right as a voter to cast their vote on whatever floats their boat.  But to show their name would only give others a chance to ridicule them for their vote.  And well... that would simply mean-spirited, violate member privacy, and do nothing positive for the contest.

Well, that's my measly two-cents.  But I am stickin' to it.  LOL  And I do not think my suggestions are perfect either.  Just "suggestions".

In the forum based POTD voting is public and  no negative consequences have ensued.

Jun 13 11 12:26 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

JoJo wrote:
Not going to happen

Blaine Dixon wrote:
Why?  (Posting who votes in POTD)

Because.

Jun 13 11 12:46 am Link

Photographer

Blaine Dixon

JoJo wrote:

Because.

That's completely arbitrary. In the "original" forum based POTD the voting is public and no negative consequences have ensued.

Jun 13 11 01:18 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Blaine Dixon wrote:
In the "original" forum based POTD the voting is public and no negative consequences have ensued.

It’s a THREAD based contest. How would it be possible to have a ‘secret’ ballot?

The thread based PotD
Total entries for Saturday – 10
Total votes for all entries for Saturday – 19

The site wide PotD
Total entries for Saturday – 170
Total votes for Saturday – 34… for just the winning image wink

You can not compare the two contests.

Jun 13 11 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Blaine Dixon

JoJo wrote:

It’s a THREAD based contest. How would it be possible to have a ‘secret’ ballot?

The thread based PotD

The site wide PotD

So what you are saying its not the privacy issues of a secret ballot but the technical hurdles and complications that are the barrier to having voters IDs listed in the site-wide POTD?

Jun 13 11 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Blaine Dixon

Oh another issue discussed last night on the "shout" regarding voting for oneself. I thought that was prohibited on both POTD but I was told that it was not on the site wide POTD. Checking the regulations I dont find such a prohibition on the site wide POTD but there is one such on the forum based POTD. I was sure I remembered one on the site wide POTD could you  clear this issue up for us?

Jun 13 11 01:45 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

JoJo wrote:

The thread based PotD

The site wide PotD

Blaine Dixon wrote:
So what you are saying its not the privacy issues of a secret ballot but the technical hurdles and complications that are the barrier to having voters IDs listed in the site-wide POTD?

And where the hell did you come up with that interpretation?

So what I am saying its not the privacy issues of a secret ballot but the technical hurdles and complications that are the barrier to having voters IDs listed in the site-wide POTD? is EXACTLY what I stated above – You can not compare the two contests

Jun 13 11 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

Blaine Dixon

JoJo wrote:

So what I am saying its not the privacy issues of a secret ballot but the technical hurdles and complications that are the barrier to having voters IDs listed in the site-wide POTD? is EXACTLY what I stated above – You can not compare the two contests

There is no reason for such language or anger.You cannot treat your customers on here like children with such one word answers such "because" and curt phrases such as "not going to happen". 

I respectfully asked a question and I  am trying to find out just what the obstacle is. You state that I cannot compare the two  contests. You point out that one  difference is the larger volume of entries and votes in the site wide contest. The other being the obvious that its IMPOSSIBLE to have a secret ballot on a thread based contest.Then HOW is the difference of the increased volume of the site wide contest relevant to the question?

Jun 14 11 12:51 am Link

Photographer

T R Willmitch

Normal, Illinois, US

David Simonson wrote:
How many times have you seen, received, or heard someone say... "I am only 3 votes away from being at the top of the POTD... vote for me"?

To remove the "current standings" suggestion is not because it influences the people that vote.  But it inspires and informs the people that solicit votes and therefore vote-stack in their favor.  It gives those individuals "live stats" on their vote stacking efforts.  I am not saying that this would stop vote-stacking.  But it would certainly leave those that do it... "blind" to the fruits of their efforts until the contest would be over.

Sometimes I think it inspires a contestant to vote stack, where if they had no idea where they stood in the contest (if the tallies were hidden unitl the contest is over) they might (and I use the word "might" loosely) not be inspired to send those messages out, or twitter and facebook, their pleas of "vote for me... I only need 4 more votes to be at the top".

I do not EVER, EVER... yes... EVER... think I could win... by the way.  I just think that changes to any contest, in the effort of bettering the odds and playing-filed, is a positive thing.  And not many things, when it comes to programming, code or contests is seldom perfect.  So the "if it ain't broke" theory only applies to things that are "perfect in design".

Forcing members to cast 3 votes (vs. the current 1-3 vote option) would help "spread the wealth" around.  Many people may only cast 1 vote for themselves.  So, by forcing someone to cast 3 votes would cause other entries to get votes in the process from those that only came in to vote for themselves or to vote on their "friend's" entry.

In fact for those that continue to vote stack and attract people to vote in the contest... it would actually create more votes for everyone else in the contest.

I always have agreed that showing voter's names does not do anything except go against all democratic ideals.

And as far as the earlier comment "You do remember seeing real bad photos that have 3 to 4 votes?".  Well, if someone want to cast a vote for a piece of crap... then that is their right as a voter to cast their vote on whatever floats their boat.  But to show their name would only give others a chance to ridicule them for their vote.  And well... that would simply mean-spirited, violate member privacy, and do nothing positive for the contest.

Well, that's my measly two-cents.  But I am stickin' to it.  LOL  And I do not think my suggestions are perfect either.  Just "suggestions".

I feel that David Simonson’s suggestion to eliminate current standings from the gallery-style Picture of the Day is a good idea.  I agree that displaying standings throughout the day encourage vote stacking – although eliminating the standings won’t eliminate the problem of stacking.

Unfortunately, I don’t see this change in the Picture of the Day happening soon since it means making fundamental programming changes in the contests.  However it is something we should strongly consider when the time is right.

I don’t agree with the idea of forcing members to cast three votes each time they participate in the contest.  Many times I’ve cast only one or two votes when I felt there was only one strong entry with all others much weaker.  And I’m skeptical that this change would have a significant impact on vote stacking. 

Likewise, I don’t see the point of listing voters’ names for the public.  Like David, I agree that it violates the fundamental approach to the contest, is at least somewhat mean-spirited, and would again do little to resolve the issue of vote stacking.

Blaine Dixon wrote:
Oh another issue discussed last night on the "shout" regarding voting for oneself. I thought that was prohibited on both POTD but I was told that it was not on the site wide POTD. Checking the regulations I dont find such a prohibition on the site wide POTD but there is one such on the forum based POTD. I was sure I remembered one on the site wide POTD could you  clear this issue up for us?

I can easily answer this question since I wrote the original rules for the gallery style contest.  Although the thread-based Picture of the Day does not allow members to vote for an image they helped create, this rule does not apply to the gallery-style contests.

Here JoJo is very much right.  It’s all about numbers.  With a small number of entries and votes this policy makes sense.  Otherwise images that include several models and were created using photographer’s assistants, makeup artists, hair and clothing stylists inherently have a small army of votes.  While at the same time, a landscape (remembering that the thread-based contest is open to all styles of photography) has just the photographer’s vote.

Certainly the same applies to the large gallery-style contests.  However the large number of votes received by the leading images minimizes the impact of this problem.  Also it is simply impossible to review every gallery-style contest entry, determine who helped create the image, and eliminate those votes.

So while you are not permitted to vote for your own entry in the Picture of the Day – Original Edition, you are allowed to do so in the gallery-style contests.

https://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i164/trwillm/POtD/kitten.gif

Jun 14 11 09:16 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

JoJo wrote:

Blaine Dixon wrote:
There is no reason for such language or anger.You cannot treat your customers on here like children with such one word answers such "because" and curt phrases such as "not going to happen". 

I respectfully asked a question and I  am trying to find out just what the obstacle is. You state that I cannot compare the two  contests. You point out that one  difference is the larger volume of entries and votes in the site wide contest. The other being the obvious that its IMPOSSIBLE to have a secret ballot on a thread based contest.Then HOW is the difference of the increased volume of the site wide contest relevant to the question?

You asked a 1 word question – Why
I responded with 1 word answer – Because
I responded in kind.

Your one word question was based on a discussion in this thread from more than two months ago.
Why not read the responses from two months ago? The answer is right there.
Why ask the question again?

Blaine Dixon wrote:
There is no reason for such language or anger.

My apologies… I will edit.

JoJo wrote:
And where the hell HECK did you come up with that interpretation?

Blaine Dixon wrote:
You cannot treat your customers on here like children with such one word answers such "because" and curt phrases such as "not going to happen".

Especially when someone asks such an in-depth question as “why”

Blaine Dixon wrote:

Ah, finally, an addressable question.

There is no obstacle – the system-wide PotD (and PotD18+) is based on private voting.
There has been in the past discussion with the MODs and Admins about changing the contests to public voting.
The consensus of the opinion is “not going to happen”.

Jun 14 11 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Blaine Dixon

JoJo wrote:

JoJo wrote:

Blaine Dixon wrote:

You asked a 1 word question – Why
I responded with 1 word answer – Because
I responded in kind.

Your one word question was based on a discussion in this thread from more than two months ago.
Why not read the responses from two months ago? The answer is right there.
Why ask the question again?

Blaine Dixon wrote:
There is no reason for such language or anger.

My apologies… I will edit.

JoJo wrote:
And where the hell HECK did you come up with that interpretation?

Blaine Dixon wrote:
You cannot treat your customers on here like children with such one word answers such "because" and curt phrases such as "not going to happen".

Especially when someone asks such an in-depth question as “why”

Ah, finally, an addressable question.

There is no obstacle – the system-wide PotD (and PotD18+) is based on private voting.
There has been in the past discussion with the MODs and Admins about changing the contests to public voting.
The consensus of the opinion is “not going to happen”.

"Why?" is the ultimate existential in depth question, that the great epic writer "Mika Waltari" made a theme of his book "The Egyptian" which questioned why we live the way we do, why we have superstitions etc.  smile

Yes a past discussion made in the back rooms. How about a referendum on the subject? Ask the masses what they want.

Vote stacking is out of control. I get asked at least three times a day to vote for one member or anothers entry. Its gotten so blatant  that its done openly in  shout and no one complains to the offender anymore.

Jun 14 11 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Blaine Dixon

T R Willmitch wrote:

David Simonson wrote:

Blaine Dixon wrote:

I can easily answer this question since I wrote the original rules for the gallery style contest.  Although the thread-based Picture of the Day does not allow members to vote for an image they helped create, this rule does not apply to the gallery-style contests.

Here JoJo is very much right.  It’s all about numbers.  With a small number of entries and votes this policy makes sense.  Otherwise images that include several models and were created using photographer’s assistants, makeup artists, hair and clothing stylists inherently have a small army of votes.  While at the same time, a landscape (remembering that the thread-based contest is open to all styles of photography) has just the photographer’s vote.

Certainly the same applies to the large gallery-style contests.  However the large number of votes received by the leading images minimizes the impact of this problem.  Also it is simply impossible to review every gallery-style contest entry, determine who helped create the image, and eliminate those votes.

So while you are not permitted to vote for your own entry in the Picture of the Day – Original Edition, you are allowed to do so in the gallery-style contests.

I thought about this and it seems unfair to allow "a small army of voters" to vote on an image. This puts the photographer who has no entourage at a real disadvantage.
It would seem reasonable and easy to change and implement a  rule that only the photographer would be allowed to vote, that is only ONE person involved with a work would be allowed to cast a vote for that image. This might require listing every person who votes.

Jun 14 11 03:09 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Blaine Dixon wrote:
Vote stacking is out of control. I get asked at least three times a day to vote for one member or anothers entry. Its gotten so blatant  that its done openly in  shout and no one complains to the offender anymore.

So you are asked "at least three times a day" to vote.

Have you ever reported ANY of these requests?

I thought not.

You want to complain about it but you don't want to do anything about it.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/contactamod

Jun 14 11 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

T R Willmitch

Normal, Illinois, US

Blaine Dixon wrote:
It would seem reasonable and easy to change and implement a  rule that only the photographer would be allowed to vote, that is only ONE person involved with a work would be allowed to cast a vote for that image. This might require listing every person who votes.

It seems to me that it would be easy to make and impossible to implement such a rule.  How do we know who did or did not help create an image?  Not everyone credits even the model or photographer in their portfolio.

Beyond this it would take a massive effort to scan through every Picture of the Day entry, tracking down who created the image and comparing this to who voted for it.  Perhaps this could be done through coding.  However it would require information about the creative team to be uploaded along with the entry.  And many members would find the request highly invasive.

Jun 14 11 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

Blaine Dixon

JoJo wrote:

I thought not.

Who  wants to be a ratfink 3 times a day?

Jun 14 11 11:07 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Blaine Dixon wrote:

JoJo wrote:

I thought not.

Blaine Dixon wrote:
Who  wants to be a ratfink 3 times a day?

Hahaha – you come in here and complain, complain, complain… but you’re too damn lazy to do anything.

I really hope that when your neighbour sees someone breaking into your home he/she isn’t this apathetic.

Your comment is just plain SAD. In my books you are done.

Jun 15 11 12:36 am Link

Photographer

Blaine Dixon

JoJo wrote:
Hahaha – you come in here and complain, complain, complain… but you’re too damn lazy to do anything.

I really hope that when your neighbour sees someone breaking into your home he/she isn’t this apathetic.

This is one reason why I don't report, the punitive combative attitude of some of the mods on here. Another reason is that vote stacking seems to be almost institutionalized on here, socially acceptable as if we are in a third world country!  smile

Jun 15 11 10:52 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

JoJo wrote:

Blaine Dixon wrote:
This is one reason why I don't report, the punitive combative attitude of some of the mods on here. Another reason is that vote stacking seems to be almost institutionalized on here, socially acceptable as if we are in a third world country!  smile

Your attitude is the major reason vote stacking happens and continues to happen.

If you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem.

Jun 15 11 11:36 am Link

Photographer

Darqlord

Dayton, Ohio, US

Please remove my submission for tomorrow's contest. I posted it accidentally and it was meant to be in the 18+ contest.

Thank you.

Jun 16 11 12:27 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Darqlord wrote:
Please remove my submission for tomorrow's contest. I posted it accidentally and it was meant to be in the 18+ contest.

Thank you.

It's gone wink

Jun 16 11 01:22 am Link

Model

Nataly G

London, England, United Kingdom

When can we submit pictures?

Jun 16 11 02:28 am Link

Photographer

SJH photography

Adeje (Las Americas), Tenerife, Canary Islands

Nataly G wrote:
When can we submit pictures?

Whenever you like if you entered a picture today , it would be in tomorrows competition .
eg submit thursday , for fridays competition .
The same image cannot be resubmitted for 15 days.

Jun 16 11 05:55 am Link

Photographer

Millar Photographics

Salmon Arm, British Columbia, Canada

I hope you can help. I posted a pic in pic of the day contest for tomorrow and it is a red x. Comes up fine on my port. The last time this happened, it stayed as an x all day. Can it be fixed?

Thanks a lot,  Neil

Jun 16 11 06:51 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Millar Photographics wrote:
I hope you can help. I posted a pic in pic of the day contest for tomorrow and it is a red x. Comes up fine on my port. The last time this happened, it stayed as an x all day. Can it be fixed?

Thanks a lot,  Neil

I can see both the thumbnail and the big image of your entry.

Sometimes clearing your browser's cache and then refreshing the page clear up this problem.

Jun 16 11 10:13 am Link

Admin

CleeIB

Los Angeles, California, US

Moderator Warning!
As part of yesterday's updates to the site, the number of votes a photo receives isn't visible until after the contest's end.

This should help curb vote stacking at least a little.  Thanks to all who suggested this solution!

Jun 16 11 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

FJR Photography

Pekin, Indiana, US

Hey JoJo can delete my entry today, meant to upload that to the 18+..  MY bad.

Jun 17 11 05:01 am Link