Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Getting picked on for being skinny?!

Photographer

Tokyo Romance

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ohk, don't get angry at me if there is already a thread about this, but I searched and couldn't find one.

Remember in the movies and in school when the fat kid gets picked on? Is it just me or is it getting turned around on us skinny people?

I've had my share of bitchy comments thrown my way about my weight. I mean I was the kid in school that got bloody noses fighting back for the kids that got picked on and this is the thanks I get?

Also, what they hell is with this, "Real women have curves" bullshit? So, I'm not a "real woman", because I don't weight 140-180 lbs? I have no problem with curvy women, don't get me wrong. As long a woman is healthy-ish and has a nice face, I'm going to appreciate her beauty.

What pisses me off the most is the girls the say things like, "Real women have curves" and "You need to put some meat on your bones.", then you catch them going on a diet or looking though the "Lose 30 pounds in just one month!" articles.

Why be a hypocrite? If you want to be skinny, say so. Or here's a better idea... want to be healthy. Girls are sexiest when they are healthy. Am I right or wrong? Also, anyone else have any horror stories? What's your take on this whole thing? No flaming, I'm tired and hopefully I didn't say anything to offend anyone.

Apr 07 06 07:29 am Link

Model

Zachary F

New York, New York, US

They are called .............. STB's.

Size Two Bitches.   JK.

I have always been thin myself, I understand.

Apr 07 06 07:33 am Link

Photographer

Tokyo Romance

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Zachary F wrote:
They are called .............. STB's.

Size Two Bitches.   JK.

I have always been thin myself, I understand.

Hmmm, no offense, seriously, but I've never heard of guys giving each other "eat shit and die" looks for being skinnier than each other. If that's happened to you, though, I'm sorry! LoL.

Apr 07 06 07:35 am Link

Model

Becka Noel

Canaries, Canaries, Saint Lucia

Djinn Photographic wrote:

Hmmm, no offense, seriously, but I've never heard of guys giving each other "eat shit and die" looks for being skinnier than each other. If that's happened to you, though, I'm sorry! LoL.

Guys are picked on all the time for being too skinny.  Especially in a high school environment.  In fact, I think guys get picked on more than women and for longer too.  It has never been "in-style" for a man to be skinny, but there have been fads where being a thinner women was in style.  Think about it.....the skinny kid in high school ALWAYS gets picked on....he is the one who comes home from school with the bloody nose because the "school bully" had his way with him on the way home.

Don't get me wrong, women are having a tough time too right now.  But don't be blind, men have always had to deal with being the "skinny kid".

Apr 07 06 07:43 am Link

Model

Zachary F

New York, New York, US

I am lucky enough to have the "swimmers build" that goes with high fashion.  I thank genetics and also military school last year for having this body.

Ever go thru a year of waking up at 5 am to do PT (physical training, military style), eat breakfast (in 4 minutes standing up), more PT, school all day, PT, 5 mile run, Dinner chow, PT, clean barracks, and before lights out, lucky to get even more PT?  OH and for fun, we would get to shine our boots and iron uniforms.

Another cadet at the academy lost 95 lbs. there.  I actually gained 20 lbs of muscle.

Apr 07 06 07:44 am Link

Photographer

Tokyo Romance

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Rebecka wrote:

Guys are picked on all the time for being too skinny.  Especially in a high school environment.  In fact, I think guys get picked on more than women and for longer too.  It has never been "in-style" for a man to be skinny, but there have been fads where being a thinner women was in style.  Think about it.....the skinny kid in high school ALWAYS gets picked on....he is the one who comes home from school with the bloody nose because the "school bully" had his way with him on the way home.

Don't get me wrong, women are having a tough time too right now.  But don't be blind, men have always had to deal with being the "skinny kid".

That's not what I mean, but I see your point. When I was in school, the skinny, short kid got picked on. Not the skinny, tall kid. Also, being skinny is in in the emo, punk and goth social circles. Again, I understand your point, though.

Apr 07 06 07:47 am Link

Photographer

Tokyo Romance

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Zachary F wrote:
I am lucky enough to have the "swimmers build" that goes with high fashion.  I thank genetics and also military school last year for having this body.

Ever go thru a year of waking up at 5 am to do PT (physical training, military style), eat breakfast (in 4 minutes standing up), more PT, school all day, PT, 5 mile run, Dinner chow, PT, clean barracks, and before lights out, lucky to get even more PT?  OH and for fun, we would get to shine our boots and iron uniforms.

Another cadet at the academy lost 95 lbs. there.  I actually gained 20 lbs of muscle.

Ouch. I guess it was worth, it though if you're happy with yourself. ^_^

Apr 07 06 07:49 am Link

Photographer

Art Of Imaging

Brooklyn, New York, US

hey skinny short guys would get a beat down in school by the bigger kids so its not only women, as for me I was lucky my best friend was one of the biggest guys in school so no one ever messed with me smile

Apr 07 06 07:51 am Link

Photographer

Tokyo Romance

Atlanta, Georgia, US

F-ing Nuts Benny wrote:
hey skinny short guys would get a beat down in school by the bigger kids so its not only women, as for me I was lucky my best friend was one of the biggest guys in school so no one ever messed with me smile

LoL. I realised my mistake and refrased myself up there. ^_^

Wicked avatar, by the way.

Apr 07 06 07:56 am Link

Model

Zachary F

New York, New York, US

Ouch. I guess it was worth, it though if you're happy with yourself. ^_^

Yes it was hell, but the best thing ever for me.  I graduated at 16, which is great because I can now do other things full time like modeling.  After modeling career is done, I will go into military then college.

It is just as hard for a skinny person to put on healthy weight as it is for an overweight person to take off unhealthy weight.  Both take discipline and dedication.  Diet and excercise are a must for both.  If we all could just take weight off where we want it, or put weight on JUST where we want it, that would be great.  It is not that easy.

Apr 07 06 08:04 am Link

Model

shellyradley

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

hunny bunny tell em to eff off and mind their own beeswax

don't you dare give a flying toss about what anyone says and if they want to pick on you then thats their issue not yours.
You look great and you know you do so don't change in any way unless you want to.

I am sick and tired of people telling other people what their opions are when not wanted..it's like when i want it i will give it to you!!

tossers

Apr 07 06 08:38 am Link

Model

Benny

Brooklyn, New York, US

LoL. I realised my mistake and refrased myself up there. ^_^

Wicked avatar, by the way.

hehehe thank you smile Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo smile

o yea I also played every sport in school and started every game, so I may have been the shortest and skinniest kid arround but I also had the rest of my teams to protect me , on the plus side i did use it to help other kids that was getting picked on in school, funny thing is some of those kids are now a lot bigger than the ones that picked on them. lol

Apr 07 06 08:44 am Link

Model

CristinaLex

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

HMMM...welll..

Being that for so many years women who have a shape or have curves are or never were recognized as models and sometimes misunderstood as "big girls" when that really isnt the case. I havent really been doing my picking on the skinny women...i dont choose to..I just cant stand it when skinny people say "Oh im soo fat".. My friend who is a size 5 says that all the time.. Thats the only thing that pisses me off about skinny females...

But in reality a lot of woem arent a size 5,4,3,2,7,8....its not that realistic...
but all i have to say is that ..dont worry about what people say to you..envious fat females will always say somethig about skinny females because their jealous and skinny females will always have a jealousy problem towards females with curves because they are insecure with themselves as well...

its really about if you can be the bbigger person except yourself and excpet the ddifferent shapes around you...So love you fo you and be who you wanna be...
Cuz i got over shyt quick...you dont know how many dirty looks i get from women on the street..FOR NO REASON....BUT love yourself..and be proud to be tthe way you are

Apr 07 06 10:29 am Link

Model

annointedbeautie

Rockledge, Florida, US

i used to get picked on for being skinny. Kids used to call me "spoon" because i had a big head and a little body. I used to overeat on purpose so that i could gain weight and be like the girls with the thick thighs. Well im suffering the consequences of it now. and trying to be a skinny B***h again

Apr 07 06 10:39 am Link

Model

Arthur's Town, Cat Island, Bahamas

Both my sister and I got teased for being "too skinny". We've been accused of things such having eating disorders and my parents not taking care of us properly. Those things hurt when they are far from the truth. When I did my internship this past year at a local hospital a nurse from behavior health came up to me and said "you look like you could be one of our patients for eating disorders". Wow, how do you respond to a comment like that? What we have is purely genetic....my dad is tall and skinny as a rail. We have a high metabolism and we eat whatever we want. People don't think about those things tho...they jump to hurtful conclusions. My sister has had a really hard time with this and for many years has tried to gain weight.

Apr 07 06 11:05 am Link

Model

CristinaLex

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

annointedbeautie wrote:
i used to get picked on for being skinny. Kids used to call me "spoon" because i had a big head and a little body. I used to overeat on purpose so that i could gain weight and be like the girls with the thick thighs. Well im suffering the consequences of it now. and trying to be a skinny B***h again

Wow...gurl Why????
Some shapes arent for every one thats why the creater almighty made us to who we are...Some people wont look right with my hips and ass and
i wouldnt probrably look right with just a straight up and down figure...and ur name fits your pictures you have an annoited beauty and should appreciate that...everything aint for every one smile

Apr 07 06 11:10 am Link

Model

Krystin

Friendly, Maryland, US

I've been teased my entire life about being skinny by everyone from family to strangers, so I know how everyone feels. What makes it worse is that I'm part of a minority that appreciates thickness....so everyone looks at me like i'm some alien mutant cause for some reason a size 0 black girl isn't really supposed to exist in thier opinion.

Apr 07 06 11:11 am Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

Ah, high school days. I'm so glad I don't have to go through that again! I was the short skinny girl in school There was only about 2 girls thinner than me in my grade, and one of them was a size 0. The other was a size 2. I was a size 3-4 until after I dropped out of college and got pregnant with my daughter.

When I was in school, and skinny, I was called all kinds of things like "little girl" and "cornflake" and the such. I hated it. Other girls hated me because I was skinny, even though they didn't know my personality. I didn't really get any dates in school, either, because a lot of the guys liked the girls with "more to offer" in the figure department. I had like a 34B-25-34 measurement then. I was basically the complete opposite of what I am now.

In all honesty, though. I liked being skinny. I don't mind being bigger now, but would like to be somewhere in-between what I was then, and what I am now. I want a happy medium.

I have heard the saying "Real women have curves" so much, and it gets old. I feel that real women come in all shapes and sizes. Real women have two legs...and not three...if you know what I mean. Then again, I don't know...I've seen some men who are more woman than I am! And, they do a pretty darn good job of it. To each his/her own!

Apr 07 06 11:13 am Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth wrote:
Ah, high school days. I'm so glad I don't have to go through that again!

Unfortunatly, it's not just high school. These are the things I hear all the time, not from family and friends, they know better...but from strangers who don't know me. Why would you ever say such things to people you don't even know?

"Wow, you're so skinny"
"You need to eat"
"Do you eat"
"You're so boney"
"Do you have an eating disorder"

Apr 07 06 11:22 am Link

Model

Katarzyna

Fairfield, New Jersey, US

Corena wrote:

Unfortunatly, it's not just high school. These are the things I hear all the time, not from family and friends, they know better...but from strangers who don't know me. Why would you ever say such things to people you don't even know?

"Wow, you're so skinny"
"You need to eat"
"Do you eat"
"You're so boney"

I so feel you on that! My doctor even at one point thought I had an eating disorder bc I was so skinny! I hate being called anorexic, it's just the same as being called FAT ASS.. it hurts.. especially if you're like me and can eat a whole pizza by yourself LoL i am at heart a fat person dying to get out of this tiny body!

Apr 07 06 11:25 am Link

Model

Katarzyna wrote:

I so feel you on that! My doctor even at one point thought I had an eating disorder bc I was so skinny! I hate being called anorexic, it's just the same as being called FAT ASS.. it hurts.. especially if you're like me and can eat a whole pizza by yourself LoL i am at heart a fat person dying to get out of this tiny body!

My sister had the problem with her doctor too...it's rediculous...people need to look at all factors.

Apr 07 06 11:29 am Link

Model

E the model

London, Ontario, Canada

Revenge is a dish better served cold.

As a kid, I got picked on too. I have very thick and curly hair, they weren't used to anything out of the 'usual french-canadian' type, and at that time, I didn't know what to do with my hair. They would call me sheep. Even now, I just can't stand it when my hair isn't flat-ironed straight...

I also got picked on for being too skinny. The kids would even try to scare me into running away by intimidating or beating me. It took me a long time to develop anything barely looking like curves. They'd call me «ironing board» (it sounded better in french...), because I was flat and too tall for my own sake Even the nurse, the teachers and even my own mother asked me if I had an eating disorder. Sheesh, I just have fine bones, give me a break. Those were the saddest year of my life.

So, for years I was absolutely persuaded that I was FUG, my first boyfriend was the first complete moron to ask me out (low self-esteem makes you do that...) even though much nicer and more mature guys were actually interested in me, but I didn't know back then. Photographers asked me to shoot for them, but I was too shy to accept any compliment (darn, I was 17 back then, I should have said hell yes!), people would even stop me on the street to tell me I was pretty and where did you buy that coat, it looks good on you. Oh wait, they still tell me that smile

Kids can me really mean y'know...

Anyway, now I'm very proud of my body and it's somewhat pleasing to know I'm the smallest in a room and that so many girls envy me. Sweet, sweet revenge wink Call me a STB, I'll say I'm actually a size 0!

Apr 07 06 11:30 am Link

Model

Eloise wrote:
Anyway, now I'm very proud of my body and it's somewhat pleasing to know I'm the smallest in a room and that so many girls envy me. Sweet, sweet revenge wink Call me a STB, I'll say I'm actually a size 0!

LOL I love your thinking!

Apr 07 06 11:32 am Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

Corena wrote:

"Wow, you're so skinny"
"You need to eat"
"Do you eat"
"You're so boney"

I don't know why people do that. It's just like when someone is bigger (like I am now) and we are accused of eating all the time, or eating unhealty foods.

I used to be told all the same things about being skinny when I was in school. I have to admit, though, that I was anorexic. I don't remember weighing more than 103 until I got out of college. The thing is, I wanted to eat, but I was really picky, and we didn't have something I wanted, so I didn't eat at all. There were times when my parents had to force me to eat something...anything.

I know it can be hurtful when someone makes assumptions, though, about how a person is, merely by how they look. It can be even more hurtful when that person does have something wrong, but doesn't realize it, like my case when I was younger.

Apr 07 06 11:33 am Link

Model

io

New York, New York, US

When I was younger, I was 105 lbs (5'5") and all my friends used to call me "The Human Bone....with boobs (they just don't go away)!" 
I thought it was great!  Now, at a much healthier weight, I look back at old pix of me w/my lollipop head and stick limbs-I looked like I was dying! lol

Apr 07 06 11:42 am Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Krystin wrote:
. What makes it worse is that I'm part of a minority that appreciates thickness....so everyone looks at me like i'm some alien mutant cause for some reason a size 0 black girl isn't really supposed to exist in thier opinion.

WOW! I thought I was the only one who went thru this. Being black and skinny is tough. You're expected to be "thick" and have a "fat ass" I was picked on all the time in high school. By my so called "friends" who once even said a black guy would never like me cause I was "bony" and even my family who would try to stuff food in my mouth even after I was full.
Now I got some of them old classmates looking at me like "damn, you done grew up" and I'm like "I'm sorry but do I know you from somewhere..."  smile

And what's up with Monique???! Look, I used to like the chick for her being proud of her body and loving herself the way she does then she came out with this "Skinny Women Are Evil" and started making fun of thin women in her routine to the point that she is doing exactly what people used to do to her. Bringing others down to bring herself up

Apr 07 06 11:52 am Link

Model

So Says Amara.

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Oh man, I could go on all day about this :p People tell me ALL THE TIME that I must be anorexic, that I need to eat a sandwich, put some meat on my bones... it drives me insane. And it comes from people who I thought would be more sensitive - family members, my boyfriend's family - then of course there are the  strangers walking by who think I care what they have to say! I'm lucky that my boyfriend backs me up when mine and his family get on my case, otherwise that would be really hard.

It does bother me that a big mantra nowadays is that "real women have curves." Not because I feel like curvy women should feel like they have to be skinny minnies, but because I feel it belittles women like myself who are as straight as a stick :p Some people just can't help that they're skinny! And as someone who has struggled for years with body image issues, I feel torn every day between wanting to feel comfortable in my own skin and wanting to gain weight so people will just get off my back. But as I've gotten older I've gotten better at not only accepting who I am, but also at letting people know that it's none of their damn business! Usually once they get to know me a little better and realize that all the other members of my family are very slim as well, they chill out and stop giving me such a hard time. I can't help that I'm slender, just like some people can't help that they have blue eyes instead of brown ones.

Real women should just be confident women, learn to love what they have - and work it ;-)

Apr 07 06 12:03 pm Link

Model

So Says Amara. wrote:
And as someone who has struggled for years with body image issues, I feel torn every day between wanting to feel comfortable in my own skin and wanting to gain weight so people will just get off my back.

Yes...I know this feeling! Even though it drives me crazy when people jump to false conclusions I have now embraced my body. My sister, however, who is 3 years younger than me still struggles with being torn between putting weight on just to shut up the accusations or embracing who she is.

Apr 07 06 04:07 pm Link

Model

annointedbeautie

Rockledge, Florida, US

CristinaLex wrote:

Wow...gurl Why????
Some shapes arent for every one thats why the creater almighty made us to who we are...Some people wont look right with my hips and ass and
i wouldnt probrably look right with just a straight up and down figure...and ur name fits your pictures you have an annoited beauty and should appreciate that...everything aint for every one smile

Thanks lady... That sure is encouragement. I guess i dont want to be straight up and down again. I remember towards the end of high school i grew 1 hip. Yes just one. And i used to lean to one side in all my photos to show off my faboulous 1 hip. but you are right everything isnt for everyone. Sometimes i just feel i could do more as far as modeling goes if i was skinny again...

Apr 07 06 04:15 pm Link

Model

Frankee Funeral

Stratford, California, US

Ohk, don't get angry at me if there is already a thread about this, but I searched and couldn't find one.

Remember in the movies and in school when the fat kid gets picked on? Is it just me or is it getting turned around on us skinny people?

I've had my share of bitchy comments thrown my way about my weight. I mean I was the kid in school that got bloody noses fighting back for the kids that got picked on and this is the thanks I get?

Also, what they hell is with this, "Real women have curves" bullshit? So, I'm not a "real woman", because I don't weight 140-180 lbs? I have no problem with curvy women, don't get me wrong. As long a woman is healthy-ish and has a nice face, I'm going to appreciate her beauty.

What pisses me off the most is the girls the say things like, "Real women have curves" and "You need to put some meat on your bones.", then you catch them going on a diet or looking though the "Lose 30 pounds in just one month!" articles.

Why be a hypocrite? If you want to be skinny, say so. Or here's a better idea... want to be healthy. Girls are sexiest when they are healthy. Am I right or wrong? Also, anyone else have any horror stories? What's your take on this whole thing? No flaming, I'm tired and hopefully I didn't say anything to offend anyone.

i know exactly how you feel, and i've realized that its mostly because of jealously. I used to feel shitty when people would make comments about my weight, but now I realize they just wish they were as tiny as me! So chin up and start taking those looks as compliments

Apr 07 06 04:21 pm Link

Model

_ALMUR_

San Francisco, California, US

see my thing was i was too skinning and too pale, well a toned up, butt now im still too pale. i say F them all, you cant please everyone. thats why i love modeling! its so diverse!

Apr 07 06 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

photoguy42

Toledo, Ohio, US

No matter what you look like, or where you go...there will always be people who will find fault with the appearance of anyone who doesn't look like them.

I knew a guy who used to constantly harass me about the way I looked. I wondered what it'd be like if we switched bodies. I strongly feel that if our physical bodies were switched, he'd have still been harassing me simply because it was his personality.

Personally, I just think these people are insecure in themselves and feel that by denigrating others, they feel better about themselves. (sort of the "grass is greener..." mentality)

Apr 07 06 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

No, I didn't get the "eat shit and die looks" for being skinny in High School.  I was laughed at for being scrawny.

At the time of my 10-year reunion last year?  That's when I got "eat shit and die" looks for being skinny...

Apr 07 06 04:48 pm Link

Model

Isis

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Corena wrote:

"Wow, you're so skinny"
"You need to eat"
"Do you eat"
"You're so boney"

I know, it's not cool.  I have gotten picture comments telling me I look creepy thin, and I need to eat something.  It's that kind of presumptious behavior that causes eating disorders.  How do they know what I do/don't eat- and by what standards am I creepy?  I say fuck it. 

Apr 07 06 04:58 pm Link

Model

AnToNiA BaKaLoVa

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Hm interesting, I've always been skinny and tall and in school I only get compliments. Everyone's like "ooh you should be a model, you're so skinny and tall...."  I have prominent hip bones and some of my friends always poke them or something, but I mean it's just a joke and for fun. But I read the previous post about skinny black grils and in my old school they used to make fun of a couple of girls like that, which is VERY WRONG.

Apr 07 06 05:01 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I still get it. It's kind of hard when people outside of modeling, family and friends, tell you that you are too skinny and to gain weight, but you know for modeling you need to remain a certain size. And in most cases, you can't talk to anyone about it because they scoff at you for complaining about being skinny!

I used to cry in middle and high school. Now I try to take it in stride, although sometimes it does make me feel like shit.

Apr 07 06 05:01 pm Link

Model

Isis

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

AJ Bella wrote:

WOW! I thought I was the only one who went thru this. Being black and skinny is tough. You're expected to be "thick" and have a "fat ass" I was picked on all the time in high school. By my so called "friends" who once even said a black guy would never like me cause I was "bony" and even my family who would try to stuff food in my mouth even after I was full.
Now I got some of them old classmates looking at me like "damn, you done grew up" and I'm like "I'm sorry but do I know you from somewhere..."  smile

And what's up with Monique???! Look, I used to like the chick for her being proud of her body and loving herself the way she does then she came out with this "Skinny Women Are Evil" and started making fun of thin women in her routine to the point that she is doing exactly what people used to do to her. Bringing others down to bring herself up

I agree, skinny women aren't evil, fat women aren't evil, average sized women aren't evil, we're women.  Regardless of weight, the goal should be to be healthy, not skinny, not curvy, just h-e-a-l-t-h-y.  Plain and simple.

Apr 07 06 05:02 pm Link

Model

AnToNiA BaKaLoVa

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Actually, I do get the question: ' Are you anorexic ?' very often...." BS

Apr 07 06 05:02 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Isis wrote:

I agree, skinny women aren't evil, fat women aren't evil, average sized women aren't evil, we're women.  Regardless of weight, the goal should be to be healthy, not skinny, not curvy, just h-e-a-l-t-h-y.  Plain and simple.

AMEN!

After two kids, I am what I am. Same for every other woman out there! If you are healthy at a certain size, learn to embrace it!

Apr 07 06 05:05 pm Link

Model

Carmilla

Highland, California, US

I'm 5'3 and weigh 98 pounds. A lot of people think that I'm too skinny for my age and height. I don't even know how much I'm "supposed" to weigh. Some close friends have called me "twig" before, but I don't really mind it. I'm doing what I can to get up to what I think is a healthy weight. I eat as much as I can. I just have a fast metabolism. Nothing wrong with that. Plus, it's pretty to be frail in my opinion. wink

Apr 07 06 05:10 pm Link