Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Getting picked on for being skinny?!

Photographer

MartinCoatesIV

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

Zachary F wrote:

Yes it was hell, but the best thing ever for me.  I graduated at 16, which is great because I can now do other things full time like modeling.  After modeling career is done, I will go into military then college.

It is just as hard for a skinny person to put on healthy weight as it is for an overweight person to take off unhealthy weight.  Both take discipline and dedication.  Diet and excercise are a must for both.  If we all could just take weight off where we want it, or put weight on JUST where we want it, that would be great.  It is not that easy.

WRONG. It is far more dificult (and costly) to gain wieght then to lose it. I was medically underwieght most of my life (hypoglacemic--misspelled). I started taking wieght gainer and pumping iron at 15 when I was 6' tall and 135lbs. It took several years and my body chemestry finally slowing down to get to normal wieght.
   I use to eat all day everyday. Once in one sitting I ate a 12oz steak, 13lbs of crawfish, 3 lbs of shrimp ( adult cajun eating contest I won, I was 10). No matter how much ate I wouldn't gain wieght. Fat pwople need to eat less and exercise more. Skinny people can eat not stop and not gain wieght.

Apr 07 06 05:17 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Apr 07 06 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

I used to care. I have always been a skinny girl (flaquita). I wear a size 0-5 depending on the store and have worn the same size since I was 14 yrs old (I'm 24 now). I come from a line filled with high metabolism.

I have always gotten teased for my svelte physique. From boys, girls, friends, foes, family everyone. Some were meaner than others.

The way I look at it is, I don't mind joking with them. "You need to eat more!" "So what are you cooking me for dinner?" "Wow, with all that food you eat, I'm surprised you're not fat!" "Yup, don't worry, someday it'll catch up to me."

Why do I joke? Because it's funny to me. I don't care if they call me anorexic anymore. I know I eat, I don't have to prove a thing to them. I love my body. And the more confident I've been over the years, the less and less things like that bother me.

People make fun of other people for a few reasons: a. they think whatever they're making fun of is truly disgusting. b. they're bored and it's entertaining to them. c. they're jealous. d. they like you but this is how they prefer to communicate with you. e. preying on the weak/power trip. f. so many other reasons.

Bottom line, they do it because it's their issue. Doesn't have to be yours. Don't let it be, and you can stress about more important things in life than people making fun of your looks.

Apr 07 06 05:21 pm Link

Model

Danica Lee

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

We can't win can we? smile

Teased if we're thin, teased if we're fat.

I can't help but feel a little insulted at all this 'real beauty' talk that seems really popular in magazines and what not now to help make girls who aren't necessarily the thinnest of things to feel better about themselves.

These articles make out like anyone who is thin must be damaging themselves to be that size and I find it really hurtful.

I'm thin, and I certainly don't torture mysef to be this way.

And I can relate to the family comments... Why is it family always think they are just being helpful and concerned when they say things like "You need to eat" and "Are you sure you're OK?".

Fact is, some of us are just lucky and don't have to it the gym 5 days a weeks to stay this way. Leave us alone! tongue

Apr 07 06 08:34 pm Link

Model

Angie Borras

Kissimmee, Florida, US

Well what about when you havefriends that says that you have a flat ass and are flat chested. I feel that even harder to deal with  because you cant grow an ass or boobs  out of nowhere. Like my boyfriend tell me I should eat more So I could get thick. Because he says  he doesn't like fat  but thick girls I'm like  I cant just get thick if I eat obsesibly I'm just going to get fat. I guess is genetics and there is no way I can change that. Well unles plastic surgery.

Apr 07 06 08:55 pm Link

Model

jon horsethief

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

this reminds me of the time a little while ago when i got a myspace message from a total stranger, a girl out west somewhere, who said something to the effect of "OMG u are too skinny u should go to McDonalds LOLZ"

this kind of thing amuses more than hurts me, mostly because at the time, i was sitting in front of my computer with a package of Double Stufs and a jar of Nutella.
but still, it's the kind of thing that is recognized as hurtful and damaging if said to someone overweight, but is completely allowed and often met with a lack of sympathy (in a "they said you were too skinny?? i should have such problems!!" way) when directed to skinny / slender people.

people may think they're giving a compliment even when they gasp about your skinny physique, and not understand that they're actually being invasive and rude.

Apr 09 06 10:08 am Link

Model

Jessica Jill

Lexington, Kentucky, US

sorry
double post...yipes!

Apr 09 06 10:23 am Link

Model

Jessica Jill

Lexington, Kentucky, US

Zachary F wrote:
I am lucky enough to have the "swimmers build" that goes with high fashion.  I thank genetics and also military school last year for having this body.

Ever go thru a year of waking up at 5 am to do PT (physical training, military style), eat breakfast (in 4 minutes standing up), more PT, school all day, PT, 5 mile run, Dinner chow, PT, clean barracks, and before lights out, lucky to get even more PT?  OH and for fun, we would get to shine our boots and iron uniforms.

Another cadet at the academy lost 95 lbs. there.  I actually gained 20 lbs of muscle.

Yes I do...I was in the Army.  I still eat fast and my friends laugh at me for it, lol.  It was great for physical training though..um now though....I used to do 65 pushups, 65 situps and 2 miles in 15 minutes.....we won't talk about now!  LOLOL

As far as being picked on for being thin.....what drives me crazy is when people tell me..."I used to be that little when I was your age, look at me now."  or when I get picked on because I can't shovel down a 3 course meal in one sitting.  Geez Jess...eat something, hahahahahaha...or oh look she is eating!!!  Okay, look, I eat..I just space it out because I have to, leave me alone!  Grrrrrr, LOL

At least some people are nice enough to say that for being so little I still have a figure, lol. Especially for being 27..woohoooooo

Apr 09 06 10:23 am Link

Model

Jessica Jill

Lexington, Kentucky, US

MartinCoatesIV wrote:

WRONG. It is far more dificult (and costly) to gain wieght then to lose it. I was medically underwieght most of my life (hypoglacemic--misspelled). I started taking wieght gainer and pumping iron at 15 when I was 6' tall and 135lbs. It took several years and my body chemestry finally slowing down to get to normal wieght.
   I use to eat all day everyday. Once in one sitting I ate a 12oz steak, 13lbs of crawfish, 3 lbs of shrimp ( adult cajun eating contest I won, I was 10). No matter how much ate I wouldn't gain wieght. Fat pwople need to eat less and exercise more. Skinny people can eat not stop and not gain wieght.

hypoglycemia??  I have that too...it sucks!

Apr 09 06 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

I think a lot of what's going on is simply backlash against the Madison Avenue image of the rail thin model as the "ideal" female form.  Yesterday, I saw an interview with Mo'Nique, the star of the new movie, "Phat Girlz."  I'm really turned off by her glorification of fat and the way that she constantly puts down thinner people.  Speaking as an artist, I personally find nothing sensuous about protruding bones and pencil thin limbs, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that thin women aren't "real."  I don't find sloppy fat appealing, either, but I do believe that beauty and sensuality come in a variety of shapes and sizes.  I'm currently working on a book of artistic nude portraits of women of color.  It will include a range of ages and body types.

Apr 09 06 10:31 am Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

The funny thing is that people who don't know me say stuff like "You're so skinny...Do you eat?" (which is actually a real f-ed up thing to say to me, but whatever), but people who know me well know that I eat like a pig when you put some good food in front of me...lol.  When I'm back in my hometown in PA for Thanksgiving, my family look at me and look down at all the food on my plate, and they're like "Where do you put it?"  Believe me, I would actually like to gain some weight, but I really don't gain weight.  Everybody tells me I better enjoy it while I can because when I get older that's gonna change.  LOL.  Is that true?

I gotta admit that in the past it got on my nerves to hear people use phrases like "Skinny Minnie."  I always say that I prefer to be described as "thin" rather than "skinny."  When I hear "skinny," Olive Oyl (Popeye's girl) comes to mind...lol.

Apr 10 06 01:16 am Link

Model

MELissaMOORE

Fairfield, California, US

I got picked on my whole life for being skinny, short and having small boobs, they can just bite my little ass for all I care. You can be small & petite and still be proportioned and have curves.
Kisses,
MEL

Apr 10 06 01:24 am Link