Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Hotel high-speed internet access & clueless staff

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Has anyone else ever returned to their hotel room after a long day on the road, itching to get online, only to get the dreaded "Page cannot be found display"? 

Then were you subjected to blank stares and ineffective appologies, or something like I just heard: "The guy that takes care of it is off on weekends"? That's enough to make me want to...

You know that if something unimportant (IMHO) like the satellite TV system went out, the response would be less blase!

Apr 09 06 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

Peterborough, New Hampshire, US

rp_photo wrote:
Has anyone else ever returned to their hotel room after a long day on the road, itching to get online, only to get the dreaded "Page cannot be found display"? 

Then were you subjected to blank stares and appologies, or something like "The guy that takes care of it is off on weekends"? That's enough to make me want to...

You know that if something unimportant like the satellite TV system went out, the response would be less blase!

Yes this is a pain and a rip-off!  I specifically pick hotels based on Interenet capabilities. When I get there and it doesn't work, I'm pissed. There is no excuse for this.

Apr 09 06 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Love the Arts

Malibu, California, US

Plan B... A nearby Wi-Fi coffee shop or hotspot some are free now.

Apr 09 06 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

rp_photo wrote:

Then were you subjected to blank stares and ineffective appologies, or something like I just heard: "The guy that takes care of it is off on weekends"? That's enough to make me want to...

You know that if something unimportant (IMHO) like the satellite TV system went out, the response would be less blase!

Yes, and I tell then that the reason I picked the hotel is because it had Internet Access.  So unless they fix the problem I will be leaving without paying.

It has happened to me twice.  Both times I got an $100 room night for $25.

Apr 09 06 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Love the Arts wrote:

Plan B is dial-up! How do you think I am writing this now?

Not all of us have wireless, and not all of us want to do our online work in public, especially post-processing.

Apr 09 06 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Alex Mercatali

Forlì, Emilia-Romagna, Italy

Worst thing apart from not working, is when they have an ISP that charge a hell lot of money and give you limited bandwith sad
(30 euros per day, with 150 mb  limit...)

happened while I was in Amsterdam and I really got pissed off...

Apr 09 06 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I only stay at hotels with unreliable Internet.  Then I have a good excuse for not uploading my work on time to my webmaster.

Apr 09 06 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
I only stay at hotels with unreliable Internet.  Then I have a good excuse for not uploading my work on time to my webmaster.

In that case I highly recommend the Best Western in Donaldsonville, Louisiana! They have just what you are looking for.

Apr 09 06 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Love the Arts wrote:

Word.

http://www.wififreespot.com/

+

https://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000BF0XEW.01._SCTHUMBZZZ_.jpg

=

smile

Apr 09 06 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

HenryS

BRONX, New York, US

I think of the ads boasting of the High-Speed Access, then you check in, settle into your room and find that their High-Speed Access is only in their Business Center

Apr 09 06 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

Love the Arts wrote:

Or a FedEx/Kinko's.

Apr 09 06 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

A couple of years ago, driving through some remote corner of Missouri, I stopped at a hotel specifically because they advertised a high-speed connection in every room.  Got there... found bare ethernet cable sticking out of the floor.  Obviously, the billboards went up before the installation was complete.

Apr 09 06 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

rp_photo wrote:

Ah, you've hit on one of my huge peeves with hotels recently.

I make the "scenic" drive down I-5 from Seattle to Portland on a regular basis, 'cuz I have rental property down there, and a few very close friends from back in the day are there, and y'know, I LIKE NICE HOTELS. I just like 4 star joints... I'm just spoilt that way. And I get REAL ticked off when after  spending what I'm spending for a frickin' room, upon plugging in my wireless card, and launching a browser, I get some lame-ass "gimme your credit card if you wanna access the internet" interstitial page.

OK, NO. In this day and age, for a 4 star hotel, I want FREE WI-FI. Period. Don't nickel-and-dime me for internet access when I'm paying what I'm paying for a room. Just throw it in to the price of the room, and maybe you'll get my business again. Ask me for my credit card again, and you can be sure you'll never see me and my corporate AMEX again. Or any of my co-workers. Or my relatives. Or my friends. Or THEIR friends and relatives.

I don't give a damn about your historic location or your space-age polymer adjustable craftsmatic bed or that President Hoover got drunk in your bar or whatever. Don't put your damn hand out and ask me to pay internet access CHUMP CHANGE on top of what I'm paying you for your fancy accoutrements.

So far, the Governor, the Benson, the Westin downtown, and the 5th Avenue Suites are, sadly, off my list. They're awesome hotels, but their "Wireless Internet Access (surcharge)" policy means they get to take a hike.

The Lucia, the Vintage Plaza, the Heathman, and the Avalon Hotel and Spa will continue to get my business and my kudos for not being cheapskate punk-asses.

Hmph.

And in case anyone's wondering why the rant, and how it goes to topic, the point is that (IMHO) hotels should be FAR more on the ball about this. No "oh, I'm sorry... the internet guy doesn't work weekends", no "Wireless Internet Access (surcharge)"; just get with the program!

Going to the local wi-fi hot-spot is an option, of course, but that's like saying "so what if the room has no working phone... there's always a pay phone down the street..." Uh uh. That's not gonna fly. Not when I'm paying for a room.

Apr 10 06 12:23 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

kickfight wrote:
And in case anyone's wondering why the rant, and how it goes to topic, the point is that (IMHO) hotels should be FAR more on the ball about this. No "oh, I'm sorry... the internet guy doesn't work weekends", no "Wireless Internet Access (surcharge)"; just get with the program!

You go, brother!

In hotels, internet access is just as important today as satellite TV service (more so IMHO). I'm sure the loss of satellite TV feed would be met with such blase response? No doubt they have 24/7 support for that!

BTW, I am logged on @ 44 kbps dialup due to continued incompetence at the Donaldsonville, LA Best Western. I'll be dammed if I stay here again, even if it is closest to where I work!

On the subject of fancy hotels, I never understood the logic of have less included in more expensive rooms, such as free breakfasts, microwaves, refrigerators, etc. that are included with many budget rooms and nowhere to be seen in some posher places.

Apr 10 06 06:00 pm Link

Model

Brandon Smith

San Diego, California, US

OOOO... I cannot agree more!  Anyone notice as well how the higher up you go the weaker the signal is?  I stayed at a hotel in New York on the 16th or so floor and the signal was so weak I kept losing connection... yet sitting on their posh couch in the lobby downstairs I had a full 54mbs .... Hmmmmmmmm

Apr 10 06 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

i gave up on hotel promises and head straight to the nearest fedex/kinkos, and mac donalds is just around the corner from my fav.

Apr 10 06 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

rp_photo wrote:
On the subject of fancy hotels, I never understood the logic of have less included in more expensive rooms, such as free breakfasts, microwaves, refrigerators, etc. that are included with many budget rooms and nowhere to be seen in some posher places.

This doesn't justify it... but it's probably because many of the people who stay in the fancy places are corporate upper management billing the expenses to a project and a client.  Thus, they don't really care what it costs and consider it a perk, even though they're the same guys who hammer the mid-level people if they go over budget.   The ones on the short end are the people staying there as a status thing and paying out of their own pocket.

Apr 10 06 10:32 pm Link