Forums > Photography Talk > Are SLR's that much better than regular cameras?

Photographer

Tru Lite Image

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

As I understand it, the big advantage of SLR (single-lens-reflex) cameras was with 35mm film, where what you saw in the view finder was exactly what would appear in the picture.  Almost all new digital cameras have LCD screens which preview the picture you are taking.  With the LCD screens, are SLR cameras that much better than regular digital cameras? 

I'm talking about comparing the medium end digital cameras, like the Olympus SP-350 8 mega pixel which can swap lenses and has a hot shoe to the similar mega pixel Digital SLR cameras .  Are the SLR's really worth the extra price?

I currently have an Olympus D-580, 4 mega pixel, point & click with 3x optical zoom.

Apr 11 06 12:12 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Seriously...

Go back to the drawing board on that question.

Let's see reasons:
- Shutter lag
- Real lenses
- Really seeing what you get
- Longer battery life
- Better construction
- Better quality control
- Larger selection of lenses
- Longevity of equipment
- Overall image quality
- Full control over Focus - Shutter - Aperture - sensor speed
- Not being laughed off the set by your client/model/MUA/assistant/producer

Apr 11 06 12:19 am Link

Photographer

Justin Huang

Irvine, California, US

an 8 mp point and shoot is different from an 8 mp dslr. the point and shoot has a smaller sensor, so the individual photosites are smaller. this causes more noise.

Mr. Jackson has already summed up the rest.

Apr 11 06 12:30 am Link

Photographer

James Waynauskas

Kansas City, Missouri, US

a 30 year old fully manual SLR film camera is 100x better than a point shoot digital... but an SLR probably wouldn't be that much use to you if you haven't learned how to use one.

Apr 11 06 12:34 am Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Mark Young wrote:
Almost all new digital cameras have LCD screens which preview the picture you are taking.

Digital SLRs have screens to preview the picture as it was taken, not to preview the picture you are taking.

Apr 11 06 12:35 am Link

Photographer

C and J Photography

Hauula, Hawaii, US

If you were to ask about the fundamental design issues... Yes the technology is available to make a "SLR like" camera without the mirror and probably without the shutter mechanism that is every bit as good as a DSLR.

Nobody makes one though.

I will buy one when they arrive on the scene. Shutter noise can be quite annoying at an event.

Nobody makes one though. Oops I allready said that.

Buy a good DSLR and update later. Nobody will be making the camera you want very soon.

Apr 11 06 12:39 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

A pro level camera has better exposure control than P&S cameras because they are meant to be more precise. A littel variance in exposure is not that important to the every-day casual shooter. It's very important to the por that wants to know the shot he is taking will be a perfect shot as set up by him/her.

Apr 11 06 12:41 am Link

Photographer

Trevor Meeks

Sonoma, California, US

honestly, if you have to ask that question, you obviously dont know what you are talking about.

Apr 11 06 12:43 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Justin Huang wrote:
an 8 mp point and shoot is different from an 8 mp dslr. the point and shoot has a smaller sensor, so the individual photosites are smaller. this causes more noise.

Mr. Jackson has already summed up the rest.

Moreover, the larger sensor gives you better control over depth of field.  It's almost impossible to have anything resembling  a shallow depth of field with the fingernail-sized sensors in P/S digicams.  An APS-C sized sensor found in most digial SLRs is an improvement.  A full-frame sensor (found in only a few) is much better.  I prefer the super-shallow DOF I get with my 6x7 camera.  If I want to deepen the DOF I can always crank up the lights and stop down.

Apr 11 06 12:44 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

SLR's are bigger and faster and you can do more things with them, but they're only as good as the photographer behind it.

Personally though I'd like to see the manufacturers ignore the marketing dept for once and make a real camera with a nice big giant bright viewfinder.

Apr 11 06 12:47 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Mark Young wrote:
As I understand it, the big advantage of SLR (single-lens-reflex) cameras was with 35mm film, where what you saw in the view finder was exactly what would appear in the picture.  Almost all new digital cameras have LCD screens which preview the picture you are taking.  With the LCD screens, are SLR cameras that much better than regular digital cameras?

Your assumption is incorrect. The advantge of an SLR is far greater than seeing what you are actually shooting through the lens.

The lens itself and the size of the sensor are what make a digital-SLR superior to a digital point-and-shoot.

Amateurs and the uneducated public don't know anything about sensor-sizes and the importance of them. The advantages of larger sensors are just like the advantages of larger film-formats. Medium-format film is better than 35mm film and 35mm film is better than 110 film. Why? Because the larger the film, the less noise and grain you will see in the photo and the larger prints you can make. Digital is identical to film in that regard. The larger the sensor in the camera, the clearer the images will be. Therefore, a 6mp photo from a digital-SLR will be far less noisy and more clear than a 6mp photo from a digital point-and-shoot.

The lenses are a huge advantage too. Being able to control aperature down way farther than a point-and-shoot and having the opportunity to therefore have much greater control over your DOF are important factors too.

Trevor Meeks wrote:
honestly, if you have to ask that question, you obviously dont know what you are talking about.

Once upon a time, none of us knew anything about cameras or shutter speeds or lenses. You're right. Mark, the original poster, doesn't know what he's talking about. This is a great opportunity to educate him a little. I respect him for having the intelligence to ask some questions to broaden his knowledge.

Apr 11 06 12:49 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

VirtuaMike wrote:
Personally though I'd like to see the manufacturers ignore the marketing dept for once and make a real camera with a nice big giant bright viewfinder.

You know what I'd like to see is a camera which you look right through the back...the same spot that the LCD is on most dSLRs

Then, the sensor flips down to take the shot and back up for the next composition.

THAT would be a great viewfinder!

Apr 11 06 12:50 am Link

Photographer

Michael Raveney

Miami, Florida, US

dude I pitty you,unless you r terry richarson.......look it up!

Whileyou aare at it lookup D'ebutant!

Apr 11 06 12:51 am Link

Photographer

Douglas Rosen

Orlando, Florida, US

YES!

Apr 11 06 12:53 am Link

Photographer

Trevor Meeks

Sonoma, California, US

mark, after looking at your profile and portfolio, i honestly do see that you dont know the difference between a point and shoot and a real camera. you have some good ideas, but your equipment really limits you.

Apr 11 06 01:10 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

James Jackson wrote:
You know what I'd like to see is a camera which you look right through the back...the same spot that the LCD is on most dSLRs

Then, the sensor flips down to take the shot and back up for the next composition.

Then you'd have a sensor that's prone to vibration due to it having to continually flip up and down.

Apr 11 06 01:15 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

It's like an 1870's-era pistol vs. rifle question. In a gunfight, if you know how to use it, go with the rifle.

The SLR is more accurate, has greater range, and can be easily adjusted in the field. The snapshot is more easy to shove in your pocket.

Apr 11 06 01:16 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

MarkMarek wrote:
Digital SLRs have screens to preview the picture as it was taken, not to preview the picture you are taking.

That's changed.  A couple o' months ago Olympus announced the E-330 which has both an SLR viewfinder AND a live view LCD.  It's available in stores now.  Panasonic announced a similar model the PMA show in Orlando last month, and Leica will also be making a similar version as well.

Trevor Meeks wrote:

Sorry to say it, but that's a pretty ignorant statement to make.  Believe it or not, there are WORKING PROS that don't know the difference.  It's a valid question, and is probably one of the often most asked questions when dealing with advanced amateurs interested in purchasing a new camera.

On the other hand, whenever I don't know what I'm talking about... I ask questions, so I'll learn.  Isn't that the purpose?

wandering eye wrote:
Moreover, the larger sensor gives you better control over depth of field.

That's not quite true, but you are sort of correct.   It's a symbiotic relationship.
The size of the sensor has no relation to the depth of field, BUT the digital cameras that use a small sensor tend to also have a small lens.  A small lens means you'll be using smaller aperatures, which means you won't be able to get the shallow depth of field (which is often desired for portraits and glamour photography).

James Jackson wrote:

See info about the Olympus E-330, Panasonic, and Leica digital cameras mentioned above.  It's not exactly how it works, but the end results are the same.
https://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/images/prod_assets/top_product_heads/1226_header.jpg

Apr 11 06 01:40 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Mark Young wrote:
As I understand it, the big advantage of SLR (single-lens-reflex) cameras was with 35mm film, where what you saw in the view finder was exactly what would appear in the picture.

Right.

Mark Young wrote:
Almost all new digital cameras have LCD screens which preview the picture you are taking.

I'm sure the same thing will be true of digital SLRs eventually.  It could be done now, but it would add a few hundred dollars (if not a thousand or more) to the cost.

Mark Young wrote:
With the LCD screens, are SLR cameras that much better than regular digital cameras?

That's like comparing apples to gorillas.

Apr 11 06 01:43 am Link

Photographer

AU fotografia

Houston, Texas, US

oh my god.. i don't know what to say.. sometimes i feel like i don't know enough to call myself a photographer.. i respect the 'title'.. maybe you should try to deal with your inner senses or something similar

Apr 11 06 01:52 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

it is a shame that the choice in digital cameras is restricted to overpriced, clunky, ugly slrs, and crappy small-sensor disposable pocket cams.  as far as i know, there has only been one rangefinder design so far (that voigtlaender/epson thing), which was a bit over-priced/under-quality.  that's one of the big drawbacks to digital so far, in my mind - the lack of variety in camera design.  everything is so blah.

Apr 11 06 02:20 am Link

Photographer

Kai-Huei Yau

Seattle, Washington, US

Mark Young (From Profile) wrote:
I believe it is the painter, not the paintbrush that creates the work of art. I use simple point and shoot digital camera to create the pictures in my profile. As long as the light and posing are good, the photos will be great regardless of the camera.

With this logic, one would assume masterpieces could be created with those crappy plastic paintbrushes and watercolors they gave us to use in elementary school.  Better tools and materials doesn't necessarily equal better art, but it certainly gives you more options to work with.  I think everyone else has already pointed out the other obvious points.

Apr 11 06 02:28 am Link

Photographer

Champion Hamilton

New York, New York, US

I think this was a great question to ask. It's something that many who are getting started wonder. But wait, I bet everyone started out as a "Pro" right?

So many take that "your camera makes you" point of view. Mean while... Terry Richardson

In the end it's about what fits your needs. It's funny how many forget about what early photographers dealt with when they got started. Speed wasn't exactly something that came with the territory. What works best for you is what matters.

I think "point and shoot" gets thrown around too much. A camera isn't point and shoot simply because it isn't a DSLR. There are cameras that give you manual control and professional quality at 8 megapixels without the option to change lenses. They shoot in RAW and TIFF mode and have the same connectivity as a DSLR.

"Better" is a matter of perspective. It's only better for you if you're going to make use of the new options you have. I've seen many who claim to be photographers simply because they have a DSLR yet their photos could be considered boring.

It wasn't too long ago when there were no digital SLR cameras...

Apr 11 06 02:29 am Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Yes.

Apr 11 06 02:35 am Link

Photographer

AU fotografia

Houston, Texas, US

and on the LCD you can't tell if the image is crisp enough or not anyways tongue

Apr 11 06 02:39 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

please please take a photography class..... if you need to ask this you obviously don't know anything about photography.  it is simply one of those little basic things that even the simplest of photographers or anyone with a passion for photography knows. i don't mean to sound mean or anything but that is the truth.
the mega pixel on the camera has nothing to do with it's performance. the construction for SLRs are professional grade and can do so much more than any point and shoot.  when you need to edit pictures taken by an SLR and ones taken by a point and shoot you will see the difference immediately. this goes for film as well as digital.

Apr 11 06 02:48 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

SayCheeZ! wrote:
See info about the Olympus E-330, Panasonic, and Leica digital cameras mentioned above.  It's not exactly how it works, but the end results are the same.
https://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/images/prod_assets/top_product_heads/1226_header.jpg

Ummm, the only differences between the Olympus stuff and other cameras is that the mirror flips horizontal instead of vertical, there's a contast live view ccd that'll stream to lcd, and that the actual sensor allows live data to be streamed off it when the mirror's flipped out of the way. No one actually moves the sensor because vibration would be nasty.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse330/

Having that mirror is fundamental to all SLR's. I doubt that's going to change.

Apr 11 06 02:58 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Anybody ever notice that there are many great photographers (great and talented, both pro and amateur) who prefer camera designs besides the SLR design? Like rangefinders, TLRs, view cameras, etc. SLRs are always big, clunky and awkward for their format. They have many inherent design strengths (the ability to see actual light through the lens, not "reproduced" in not-quite-real-time low-quality digital video like a digi P&S, without shutter lag, and with full aperture/shutter control) is a huge strength. And the sheer RANGE of lenses available cannot be beat, either. But in many aspects, many other camera design types have SLRs totally trumped. In terms of sheer lens quality, rangefinders and even TLRs have SLRs beat by a mile. And I mean by a mile. There is no expensive touted Canon "L" glass that can even compare in quality to even a mid-level rangefinder lens. (The lens design of a rangefinder is inherently simpler because of the lack of the mirror, the rear lens element can be much closer to the film plane making the lens design much more straightforward and effective. Much sharper, and causing much less barrel distortion at wider lengths from an inherent design point of view.) I like to have a rangefinder around because they're easily carried and I can shoot them whenever. I use it for personal work. Rangefinders have their weaknesses, but they also have some major strengths. Same with TLRs. And of course, the inherent strengths/weaknesses that view cameras bring has been discussed many times.

I don't particularly appreciate the design sensibilities that manufacturers base their P&S cameras around though. Camera manufacturers have decided to either make fun little "hey look, don't we all look cute?" P&S cameras that come with a free toaster and probably a phone or PDA or something built into the next version, or else the DSLR for the photographers who are "pros" or at least wanna look like one (with ever-more-impressive sounding specs and more "features" than you can shake a stick at, but without so much as a decent viewing system, the very raison d'etre of the SLR design). So many designs that could benefit certain photographers that go ignored. It's a shame. However, at the very least a camera that does not allow full control of aperture/shutter/focus is not a fully-functional camera by my standards, and in the digital world, pretty much the only way you can take control of that is with an SLR design, unless you're going to put a back on a view camera.

By the way, on Sunday, while shooting a fashion editorial for a smaller European edition of a major American magazine, the fashion editor's boyfriend, who was on the shoot, brought his little digi Powershot and made some great pictures of the shoot. Then again, he's a graphic designer and has somewhat of a naturally appreciative eye, you could say. (Wait, how many threads have there been complaining of this scenario?) Oh, and while we're going there, the model's boyfriend came along, he drove her the approximately 300km to the shoot. This is a model who has been in campaigns for major labels in the States, ads you find in any magazine and clothes you could find at a Macy's or Nordstroms in a mall store near you, and I've lost count how many magazine editorials in how many countries. The furthest thing from a webmodel you could find, and she brought her boyfriend. (I shot them both together 2 years ago for my monograph, and they're still together!) And since it was a shoot in a public location, on the street, the chief editor borrowed a company van so that the model could change inside the car. And I was shooting film, not digital, and proofing on polaroids. And some of these fashion shots were shot with a moderately wide angle lens, including a headshot (that shot was about the sunglasses), and only 2 out of 8 pages were shot with a telephoto. Oh, and on a few of the shots I used a hotshoe flash, and the rest of the shoot was natural light only.

Let's see, how many MM taboos did we manage to break in a single shoot?

Apr 11 06 05:54 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
Let's see, how many MM taboos did I manage to break in a single shoot?

Rules are meant to be broken.

-P-

Apr 11 06 06:02 am Link

Photographer

bgbfotog

Boynton Beach, Florida, US

Thank you - well said.

Apr 11 06 06:34 am Link

Photographer

JT Hodges

Austin, Texas, US

Better glass on a D-SLR

Apr 11 06 06:40 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

James Jackson wrote:
Seriously...

Go back to the drawing board on that question.

Let's see reasons:
- Shutter lag
- Real lenses
- Really seeing what you get
- Longer battery life
- Better construction
- Better quality control
- Larger selection of lenses
- Longevity of equipment
- Overall image quality
- Full control over Focus - Shutter - Aperture - sensor speed
- Not being laughed off the set by your client/model/MUA/assistant/producer

OK..MAYBE with his GWC low MP camera but I use a Sony F828 (8MP) AND the Olympus Evolt 8MP). I use the Evolt for the longer lenses. But I HATE the fact i can't see the image magnified in the camera viewfinder. My eyes are bad and I'm stuck with AF. AND I can't see those tiny screens on the back of the camera..at least not well enough to evaluate much.

As for your list, the Evolt is no better in any of the areas EXCEPT I can pay $1K and get a great 200-400mm lens (Which is actually a 100 to 200 mm in real life PRIOR to the Olympus 2x Lens Factor) whic is the only reason to own the camera for me. They also make an Ultra Wide but i haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

No shutter Lag on the Sony. Sharp as a tack lens...BETTER than the crap that is bundeled with the Olympus. Full control over everything and with a viewfinder that shows me in real time what the adjustment is doing. It gets darker as I stop down for instance. Never dropped it but I have just turned the counter over for the third time..that's 30K plus images and no problems.  And NOTHINg outlasts the Sony battery becasue it is the same unit they use in one of their camcorders. Lasts litterly all day and then some. I charge it every other shoot and usually change it towards the end of a second all day shoot!

Getting laughed at maybe, but not after they see the finished images...PS I keep a 16x29 Headshot framed at the entrance to the studio just for that purpose...I say something like "Look how large this little thing blows up And I had to soften it a bit so the uglys didn't show!" But I am a filmmaker by trade and an art photographer by vocation so I don't work for clients in stills much any more. If I did I'd have to give in and get a D30 for them to see and then shoot with the SONY!

Apr 11 06 06:52 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

MarkMarek wrote:

The new Evolt has a real time screen but alas still on the back and not thru the lens.
Mike

Apr 11 06 06:53 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Ched wrote:
It's like an 1870's-era pistol vs. rifle question. In a gunfight, if you know how to use it, go with the rifle.

The SLR is more accurate, has greater range, and can be easily adjusted in the field. The snapshot is more easy to shove in your pocket.

I'll put my Sony F828 aginst what ever you use and see how speedy it adjusts. And how large I can blow up the image. And what ever else you want to try MINUS going beyond its' 28-200MM range. then I take out the Evolt. Slower but more range. And by slower I mean adjusting it and checking my image quality after the shot on it's tiny dark screen. ESPECIALLY out in nature where I do most of my work
Mike

Apr 11 06 06:58 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
Anybody ever notice that there are many great photographers (great and talented, both pro and amateur) who prefer camera designs besides the SLR design?

bravo, marko!  nice post.  you know how i feel about rangefinders lately (getting the mamiya 6 later this week!).

someday, the digital camera manufacturers will realize that they could potentially grab some of the connoisseur market if they made nicer cameras.  even if i thought that digital images looked ok to me, and that redundant backups of originals was something i could get into, i still would have a hard time "going digital" due to the abysmal camera selection.

Apr 11 06 07:04 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Kai-Huei Yau wrote:

With this logic, one would assume masterpieces could be created with those crappy plastic paintbrushes and watercolors they gave us to use in elementary school.  Better tools and materials doesn't necessarily equal better art, but it certainly gives you more options to work with.  I think everyone else has already pointed out the other obvious points.

And I have an image in the NAtional Biblotique (SP) that was taken with a Poloroid SX70. There are pinhole and Diahna images in the MOMA in NYC..So yes, you can take a simple tool and make art. IF you are really artist!

Apr 11 06 07:09 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

JT Hodges wrote:
Better glass on a D-SLR

NOT necissairly...ever shot with the crap bundeled with the Canon or the Olympus? Cheap glas to make a cheap bundle. While the lens on My Sony F828 is razor sharp.
Mike

Apr 11 06 07:12 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

One of my advertising portfolio instructors made a ton of money shooting national ads with his SX-70 for years. (For those who don't know, the SX70 was like the quintessential amateur Polaroid camera of the 70s. It was unique in the structure of the emulsion contained in an envelope which, while still warm and fresh, could be manipulated for artistic effect something like the smudge tool in Photoshop.

Apr 11 06 07:17 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

too bad about the sx-70 film demise.  one of my best scores in the last year was a polaroid 680 camera - basically an sx-70 camera design, but uses current 600 film.  one of my favorite cameras.

Apr 11 06 07:24 am Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

VirtuaMike wrote:

Ummm, the only differences between the Olympus stuff and other cameras is that the mirror flips horizontal instead of vertical, there's a contast live view ccd that'll stream to lcd, and that the actual sensor allows live data to be streamed off it when the mirror's flipped out of the way. No one actually moves the sensor because vibration would be nasty.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse330/

Having that mirror is fundamental to all SLR's. I doubt that's going to change.

Not quite so! All Olympus DSLRs vibrate the hell out of the sensor every time it gets turned on. This is to shake off any dust that has gotten to the sensor. It's one of Olys best features. You never have to clean the sensor!

Apr 11 06 08:12 am Link