Forums > Critique > OK, I want to see some SERIOUS models only!

Photographer

Image Designers

San Francisco, California, US

La Tosha wrote:
Even though I'm new iand my portfolio is somewhat scarce (if not nonexistent) I would love to hear how I can improve. smile and also if you think photographers would be willing to work with me. I'm looking to go as far as I can with modeling.

Hi La tosha,
   to answer your questions, I would say to improve, you need to first become more fit than you are.  You're only 5-4, so to be more viewable you need to become a lot thinner.  I know it's a tough road for that, but if you're truly serious about this work, you have to do what it takes.  Now, you may be able to get some work as a plus size model locally, but as far as doing anything bigger, your age and height would be the limitting factors. 
   So to attract the mainstream photographers, first get with it physically, and get fit.  I'm sure if you're dedicated enough you can do it.  You're only 24, so that shouldn't be too difficult.
  You have a pretty face going for you, so that's a good thing.

-Romel Evans

Sep 11 10 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

LIDALICIOUS wrote:
SURE WHY NOT? CRITISISM MUCH LOL...

ok I will,
   Lidalicious,  you need to stop taking pictures with your IPhone and doing the myspace look.  That is very old by now and it's never been attractive in the first place. 
  Get a real photographer to photograph you and start thinking seriously for this line of work unless, like about 50 percent of people here you're looking for social networking.  If so, just concentrate on myspace and facebook. 
   You're pretty obviously, but don't really qualify much as a model right now.  Go do what I said, then come back and then come back with a new portfolio.

Sep 11 10 10:24 am Link

Model

C A T H Y

Anaheim, California, US

skipped ? hmm

Sep 11 10 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Lily Avengale wrote:
I'll Jump in!
Only if you got the time-This thread is massive!

Hi Lily,
   first of all get rid of the picture with the mask.  It doesn't do anything for you in substance or looks.  Second, if you're going to do a wedding dress, look the part.  Don't do modeling 101 with a wedding dress.  Always play the part for the shoot.  Each one has a different spirit, look, pose, expression.  Know what you're doing first! 
   Second, in general you're eyes are dead in all the pictures and there is no expression in general.  Do you think modeling is only to put a dress on and be photographed?  hardly!
   If you want to get better and stand out, get your basic skills together and start playing the part.

Sep 11 10 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Cathy Ma wrote:
skipped ? hmm

No!
You're on page 63, I'm still at page 61.  Have patience smile

Sep 11 10 10:30 am Link

Model

tacii

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

If you're still doing this, I would love some advice/opinion on how to improve as I am still new to the world of modeling. Thanks! I appreciate your time.

Sep 11 10 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Bella del Giorno wrote:
I woul love for you to. Keep in mind I am very, very new at this

Hi Bella,
  You need to do a lot more work and gain experience and confidence.   From what I saw, I'd say you have nice looks, but no skills yet.  Learn how to pose and express yourself real good.  Since you're new, I'd say watch the "America's next top model" show and learn from that.  You can look the old episodes on Youtube.  Work with as many good photograhers, MUAs, Hair stylists, wardrobe stylists as you can and get confident.  But most important are your basic skills as I mentioned above.

Sep 11 10 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Annabella S wrote:
sounds good smile would be GREAT if you could message me with the feedback!

Hi Annabella,
  When you see this, realize I couldn't do your critique because your portfolio is closed.  Sorry!

Sep 11 10 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Brittney Jean wrote:
Hello, try me smile

see https://secure.modelmayhem.com/po.php?t … 31&page=63
for your critique or just page back to page 63.

Sep 11 10 10:39 am Link

Model

C A T H Y

Anaheim, California, US

Image Designers wrote:

No!
You're on page 63, I'm still at page 61.  Have patience smile

Oh haha okay...I'll wait big_smile

Sep 11 10 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

PeterNicholas wrote:
go for it, tell me!! big_smile

Hi Peter,
   You must be very fond of your 6 pack smile, because all I see is that you're showing off your body and not really doing much else.  You need to do much more than that to get attention as a real model.
  Get some real modeling pictures and come back and I'll tell you, OK?

Sep 11 10 10:42 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Shinwa wrote:
Hi, could I have your advice please ?
Thanks

Hi Shinwa,
   you have a handfull of images that have only been viewed.  No comments, and no listings.  What does that tell you?
   Your images are basically what I term toy shots.    They don't inspire, attract, provide any impact.  Look around and see what others, similar to you are doing, get some good shots by good photographers and come back for a critique.

Sep 11 10 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

AG wrote:
I'll bite.

Hi AG,
  maybe I've been seeing too many portfolios but everything seems to be blending together.  I don't see much creativity on the part of the models or photographers.  Basically  same poses, direct looks into the camera, fake expressions, etc. 
  Try to stand out will you?  You have very nice looks, but you're wasting your time doing average work.  If you're going to put out a lot of effort like you have (going to the beach and doing studio work), you might as well get more bang for the buck. 
  Get some good photographers who know what they're doing, instead of the GWC.  Think out of the box and get some good images with more drama coming from your eyes and expression.
  You seem to have some posing in your pictures, but you need to do more from that area also.

Sep 11 10 10:52 am Link

Model

Nyx Love

Houston, Texas, US

please tell me what im doing wrong...

Sep 11 10 11:01 am Link

Model

Alexis Nichole

Upland, California, US

Good Morning! I was wondering if there is anything you think I need to improve on (but know growth is always needed) or anything you would remove from my mm portfolio?? wink

Thank you in advance!!

Sep 11 10 11:07 am Link

Model

gracie_lou

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

I want to hear what you have to say

Sep 11 10 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Bella_ava wrote:
Any feedback for me please?

Hi Bella,
   Nice looking photos that you have in your portfolio.  You're a pretty girl and can get some good shots.  What you need to work on is minor details that in the end may take you a level up if you're able to correct them.   
   One of the things is your posing.  Although on the surface they look great, there are still things you can do to help yourself.  For example:
1) the headshot with the hat, it looks great, but the face is a bit round looking.  Find a way to get your face in an angle or have the photographer light it in a way where the shadows make your face thinner.   By the angle I mean the angle relative to the camera lens axis.  You probably should try to get more of a 3/4 face shot  on head shots...or somehow lose enough weight to make your face truly thinner.
2) the shot where you're leaning against the wall, should have been taken at a lower angle to make you look taller.  Also it shows you as having wide hips.  Again, angles can make a difference in that area.  So in that you should have been photographed towards your side more than your front.

The same goes for most of the images.  You look a bit round in most of them even if you're not trully round.    So be aware and make sure you either get truly less round or angle yourself better.

The second shot on the top row doesn't show your nicest asset, which is your eyes.  You should ensure they're always part of the image.  The one on the ropes, I'd remove since it shows you as too stiff and masculin. 

The last image is way too white and pasty.  Try to get the lighting toned down or in that image I would have made it into a black and white....in fact, have the photographer send you the B/W version of that one.

You're naturally very sexy, so you should try to use that more but in subtle ways...for example the one with the lingerie outfit, maybe if a shot was taken while you were laying down with the shot taken from above your head towards your legs would have worked well. 

Add drama to your work.  It will most definitely help you.  Right now they mostly look like...ok here I am take my picture...instead of drawing the viewer in with something that they feel that they need to investigate more.

Sep 12 10 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Samantha_M wrote:
me please?

Hi Samantha,
    Very pretty, elegant looks to you.  I think you make a perfect commercial model, which means you obviously must be doing well with the cash flow.  That's great that you're with an agency when you're 25, which means you've outlived the age barrier of 22.  Of course, that usually applies to the big time modeling in the NY market.
    You seem to have a good personnality from what I was reading in your profile, which is always a good thing.
    Looking at your portfolio, I can point out a few things to improve.  1) the second image on the second row.  There's no neck showing.  Models should always show a long, elegant neck.  So I'd remove that.  In addition, threre are just too many headshots.  Not enough full length shots. 
    Generallly speaking, you need a bit more (appropriate) drama in your expressions to give your images a bit more mystery and to draw the viewers in. 
    It's ok to look a little sexy as long as it's not overwhelming the image.  I like the more sublte sexy which goes along with the whole dramatic expressiveness.  If you do that, it'll show that there's another side of you.   You want as many sides to you as possible, as a model.

Sep 17 10 10:00 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Darious Watson wrote:
I would like 2 know!! Have at it!

Hi Darious,
   It's so much tougher for a male model to create a unique look to himself than a female model.  In your case that's very true.  You have good looks and have some good shots in your portfolio.  You may want to try your luck with the agencies while you're still only 19, you never know you might be there at the right place and the right time.
  In the mean time, try to think out of the box and come up with more unique male looks.  I'm glad that you're not making your poses feminin as a lot of guys seem to do.  Keep up the masculin look and keep it clean (don't do more than one abs shot or show any nudity) again unlike a lot of guys who I see come here for social networking rather than finding a career.  I think you'll get a lot better career mileage that way.

Sep 17 10 10:06 am Link

Model

Vickie Lynn

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Love your portfolio, first of all.  Secondly I just want to know from someone that has quite the experience such as yourself, what you think of my port, my look and my style (wardrobe, poses, makeup etc.)  My goal is mainly to be published in print magazines, I've already been published online, but print is much more of an achievement (in my opinion, at least).

So give me a shot smile

Sep 17 10 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Rose  Macabre wrote:

Sep 17 10 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Scarlett Fox wrote:
Hey, Id loove to hear what you think ! smile

Hi Scarlett,
  I think you need to strengthen your portfolio, that's what I think smile.  The images in your portfolio are an ok starter set.  You should now go to the next level and spice up your work.  By spice, I don't mean do nudes, but add some drama and impact to your images.  What I see now are just basic pictures showing off the photographer's lighting and imagination, not really your skills as a model.  Sure you look great, but there's a trillion beautiful girls out there, do you want to be just one of them?   Do something that will make you stand out.  At 5-2, you've put yourself in the right genre which is glamour.  Now learn how to be sexy with your eyes, pose and theme of shoot rather than just skin.

Sep 17 10 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Maja Stina wrote:
Hi there. I'm interested in becoming a fetish/alternative model, but not JUST that. I'd like to come up with some thought-provoking images (not of a sexual nature in any way). Things that relate to issues I've experienced in my life, such as suicide, depression, mental illness, discrimination, religion, war and others. Those are more important to me than fetish modeling.

Thanks very much!

Hi Maja,
   As I've said, I don't do critique of mostly nude or fetish profiles, which you have.  Please change it to something else that would take more brains than just showing skin and come back here and I'll critique you.

Sep 17 10 12:15 pm Link

Model

Chantaille Elise

Atlanta, Georgia, US

me?

Sep 17 10 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Chantaille Elise wrote:
me?

me what?

Sep 17 10 12:32 pm Link

Model

Michelle Aida

Los Angeles, California, US

I would love to see what you think!

~Michy

Sep 17 10 04:48 pm Link

Model

Chantaille Elise

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Image Designers wrote:
me what?

I preferred to use  brief me over skipped 3x. I earlier in the year asked for your advice.

First request:"I would love to hear your advice"

My port lacks something and I don't know what it is. It may be several things.

Sep 18 10 09:51 am Link

Model

Jaime Elise

Centereach, New York, US

Would like to know your opinion

Sep 18 10 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Chantaille Elise wrote:

I preferred to use  brief me over skipped 3x. I earlier in the year asked for your advice.

First request:"I would love to hear your advice"

My port lacks something and I don't know what it is. It may be several things.

Chantaille,
   You don't have to be cryptic about what you're trying to convey.  Just say what you want me to consider.  I'm not a mind reader, and I'm not going to spend a lot of my precious time wondering what someone's trying to hint at. 
   Now, if you spend the time to look and see where the last person I critiqued was relative to where you asked me for a critique, you'll see that you're about 10 people after that. 
  I have a busy schedule and doing this volunarily so please be patient.  I could be cought up if I gave answers like the rest of the critiquers here.  But if you want me to give you and honest look, you need to be very patient.  There's only so much time I can devote to this as I have many other priorities.  Yes, I will get to you and will let you know what I think but please wait as others are doing.  I am careful not to skip anyone here.

Sep 18 10 01:26 pm Link

Model

Chantaille Elise

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Image Designers wrote:

Chantaille,
   You don't have to be cryptic about what you're trying to convey.  Just say what you want me to consider.  I'm not a mind reader, and I'm not going to spend a lot of my precious time wondering what someone's trying to hint at. 
   Now, if you spend the time to look and see where the last person I critiqued was relative to where you asked me for a critique, you'll see that you're about 10 people after that. 
  I have a busy schedule and doing this volunarily so please be patient.  I could be cought up if I gave answers like the rest of the critiquers here.  But if you want me to give you and honest look, you need to be very patient.  There's only so much time I can devote to this as I have many other priorities.  Yes, I will get to you and will let you know what I think but please wait as others are doing.  I am careful not to skip anyone here.

my apologies. I thought because so much time elapsed I'd surely been skipped. Now I feel silly.

Sep 19 10 07:49 am Link

Model

Mihaela Lacramioara

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Do me smile

Sep 19 10 03:05 pm Link

Model

Jessica ja

Naval Anacost Annex, District of Columbia, US

Please and thank you!! smile I'm just getting started!

Sep 19 10 03:12 pm Link

Model

Sarah Ernst

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm just now getting going in the modeling industry and would love to hear what you have to say (plus I'm bored and procrastinating studying)

Sep 19 10 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

MandyF99 wrote:
HI! I LOVE your work! Check out my port...what do I need to work on to get on your level?

Hi Mandy,
   Thank you for the compliment.  You have a few too many of the same look on your face shots.  You look best when your lips are parted slightltly instead of together. 
   Too many cheesey smiles, which unfortunately, unless you're doing commercial work, will take away from your image because you can't mistake the expression.  The best expressions are the mood provoking ones where the viewer tries to analyze unknowingly why you're in that mood.  It's a lot of drama acting for you to have to do to give the image some interest.  Of course, the drama has to be the proper drama, because improper drama makes it too made up and unreal, which takes away even more.
  Try to create nice images that don't have you looking directly into the camera and smiling big.   Remember this isn't supposed to be family picture time.
  Additionally, I would work with great MUAs, hair stylists (and get some different hair looks...even if you have to do wigs), and get some good photographers that aren't just looking to see you naked.
  Some of this has to come from you, and some from the photographer of your choosing.  If choosing is tough, then push the photographer that you have to think out of the box instead of doing family portraits.
Work on your skills of posing and expressing yourself.  I don't mean to be tough with you, but if you don't have 10's of 1000's of images since 2005, then there's a problem with you not being into it that much and thus not serious about it.

Sep 20 10 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Alex wrote:
Would love a critique. Trying to up my marketability.

Hi Alex,
   You're certainly pretty and look great in a bikini, but seeing you've been on here since 2006, I have to wonder why you don't have more and better work than you have showing.  I saw some work from 2006, 2009 and recently in 2010. 
  If you want to be viewed more by serious viewers, instead of young guys looking for that hot chick, than you have to go to the next level.  You have potential, but it'll take some real work.
  Marketibility wise, you're 26 and 5-7.  At best in the commercial world, you would find work in the local areas around you.  22 is usually the end of it for fashion (and since you're 5-7, you wouldn't qualify for that unliess you went with welhelmina agency which goes for shorter models).  You can probably still do some promotional work like at car shows, and swim suite calanders. 
   I would consider doing things for fun too and become really good at what you do.  For example, you can do artistic work, but you'll really have to learn the very dramatic poses and expressions for that.  That would be a very good challenge for you and you should try something like that. 
  Depending on the condition of your body, you may also try fitness.  But there's a lot you can get yourself into.  Be careful to stay away from the darker areas. smile

Sep 20 10 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Mootje Pink Chicory wrote:
Me! I'm young, so I have plenty of time to improve myself! Tell me please.

Hi Mootje,
  first of all let me say you're a pretty girl.  Now, that we have that taken care of, let's look at your portfolio.  Be careful of looking too short as you do in the pink dress.   Makes you look too much like a little kid also.
  Don't ever take shots where you're sitting down and your knees are directly in front of you.  That's a very bad shot!  The knees look like they're coming out of your stomach and it the image just doesn't do you any good looks wise.
  I like the bottom right two sets, but the others I wasn't very crazy about. 
  Try to look tall and elegant in all your images and get some really decent beauty shots so that you can at least try to get a commercial job.  Remember to smile big though for the commercial images. 
  The biggest thing I could tell you is to work on your basic modeling skills...and what are those?  Posing and expressiveness.

Sep 20 10 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

Dimitrio

Nassau, New Providence, Bahamas

sure, if you are still going.

Sep 21 10 02:12 am Link

Model

Rogue Jass

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

Newb here, Please take a look at my port if you find the time.

Sep 21 10 02:40 am Link

Model

Jade_M

Bolton, England, United Kingdom

sure, I would appreciate some advice

Sep 21 10 03:16 am Link

Model

misszara

Seoul, Seoul, Korea (South)

Me too please!

Sep 21 10 03:18 am Link