Forums > Critique > OK, I want to see some SERIOUS models only!

Model

TheAmberDiann

Vail, Colorado, US

Image Designers wrote:

Hi AG,
  maybe I've been seeing too many portfolios but everything seems to be blending together.  I don't see much creativity on the part of the models or photographers.  Basically  same poses, direct looks into the camera, fake expressions, etc. 
  Try to stand out will you?  You have very nice looks, but you're wasting your time doing average work.  If you're going to put out a lot of effort like you have (going to the beach and doing studio work), you might as well get more bang for the buck. 
  Get some good photographers who know what they're doing, instead of the GWC.  Think out of the box and get some good images with more drama coming from your eyes and expression.
  You seem to have some posing in your pictures, but you need to do more from that area also.

I appreciate the honesty, got some new shots that might make you happy. I'd love to know what you think of some of my new studio work when you have the time.

Oct 20 10 07:48 pm Link

Model

Lin Mei

San Francisco, California, US

I'm looking for some helpful critique. Any advice or insight would be appreciated. smile

Oct 20 10 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Tanji NYC wrote:
what do you think of my look, and what would your advice be? Thanks for your time smile

Hi Tanji,
  As you've been told you have good looks, but!!!! do something more than show your abs.  You only need 1 shot of that and there's no reason for any more than that.  This place is about modeling so if you want to achieve more than just a lot of attention from potential suiters, you need to do a lot more, including getting enough of a wardrobe together that you can use at least a couple of unique ones for each shoot.  Don't reuse the same outfits for more than one shoot.  Also, you need to show more abillity in your posing than the Rugged, tough look.  I'm glad at least you have a suit that you use in the portfolio, but get more, including maybe renting a tux.  Show you're intelligent, refined side in your posing and maybe in your hair...why don't you have the hair in a poney tail for some images.  Anyway, you have to be a chamelion as a model and not have one look only, so also work on your facial expressions and ensure they match the conept of the shoot and the pose.

Oct 23 10 02:24 pm Link

Model

Meant4

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Wow, you really are asking to do this for us! Thanks very much and I'd appreciate your advice.

Oct 23 10 02:33 pm Link

Model

NatalieGlasgowModel

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

I would love to find out your opinion. I have a very individual look and pride myself on my natural beauty.

Oct 23 10 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Eleisha Jemuel wrote:
Me please.

Hi Eleisha,
   I already reviewed you back on page 13 :

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … 31&page=13

Oct 23 10 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Kayte McKenzie wrote:
I was just told my port is too sexy and I need more commercial shots.. any ideas? Thanks smile

Hi Kayte,
   You can do wonders for your site if you wanted to be viewed as more commercial by just not sticking your butt and chest out like you do.  You need to do just the opposite...ever hear of a broken doll pose?  you bring your shoulder over your boobs and start using an s-curve pose rather than the old glamour look of pushing the boobs and butt out.

Also get away from shots that show a lot of skin.  The real skill of a model shows when she/he is not distracting things with skin.  Use some nice high-end fashionable wardrobe if you can afford it and do the right things with expressions and posing.  Remove all the glamour work to give yourself the consistency you need for commercial work.

I did see 2 very nice headshots (the second image on the 2nd and 3rd rows).

In addition, if you want to do commercial work, you need to beef up on the smiling part.  The perfect smile is what commercial work looks for.

-Romel Evans

Oct 23 10 02:51 pm Link

Model

Danielle Zavala

Santa Ana, California, US

I've enjoyed reading your other critiques and would love to get your feedback on my portfolio. I feel like I'm stuck and not sure which direction to go next. Thanks big_smile

Oct 24 10 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

-Claudia- wrote:
Are you still going? Would love to know what you think smile

Hi Claudia,
   Here's a good hint to you and any other model reading this.  Learn to be different.  Your images don't make me want to look because they're just the same as 90 percent of the other model portfolios.  There are only about 10 percent of the models here that actually do significant work.   Having nice looks may be ok on myspace but not here.  You need to show skills and effort in your work. 
  Learn how to pose and display your expressiveness in different ways.  Just doing modeling 101 doesn't cut it anymore because people are saturated with that.  It's actually better to pose natural than to pose with expressions that are either outdated or a copy of everyone elses.
  Don't get discouraged as you're not the only one.  But get on the ball, think out of the box, be creative and do something different.

Oct 27 10 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

marissa charles wrote:
Not sure if I have posted on here, but I would like to know if you think my port is srong and what can be added to it? cheers x

You have posted here.  Your critique is here :
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … 31&page=61

Oct 30 10 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Kelly Lenahan wrote:
Hoping you can still get to me:) thank you

I answered your critique on the following page:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … 31&page=66

Oct 30 10 12:28 pm Link

Model

JR Artistic

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I do have a large amount of nude work, but its my passion, and its what I do best. If you'd prefer, I have a fashion/commercial account here, but it is not my main focus.

would love to know what you think about my portfolio and perhaps which direction I should focus on.

Oct 30 10 12:42 pm Link

Model

Gabrielle Stevenson

Alabaster, Alabama, US

i would love for some more advice, thank you for your time smile

Oct 31 10 10:09 am Link

Model

Annabella Kathryn

Brooklyn, New York, US

I know I am a very beginning model, but from the little photos I do have up I am interested to know if you think I "have what it takes" / if you think it would be worthwhile to keep perusing this career. Thank you so much it means a lot to me! Also, it would be great if you could message me with your feedback rather than post it here.

Oct 31 10 01:59 pm Link

Model

Vita Bussola

Nashville, Tennessee, US

My Port is a work in progress.

I am aware that I pretty much only have two facial looks, mouth closed serious and mouth partially open serious.

I have one smiling picture and one interesting pose picture that both stink and look like amateur photos but I guess I wanted to show what my smile looked like and my flexibility so despite the comments on the poor quality of the photos I keep them in my port.

I am also aware that I will never be a clothing/fashion model because I am vertically challenged and my best bet is to do commercial and editorial work (which happens to be lacking in m port)

So tell me your thoughts on how to improve, I'd love to hear it.

Oct 31 10 03:49 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Lynn88

Bluffton, South Carolina, US

If you are still critiquing I would love to know what you think of my port. I am very new to modeling, but I feel like I get better every time I shoot!. This is my passion and your honest opinion is greatly appreciated.

~Jenn

Oct 31 10 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Lauren Sweeney-Fenton wrote:
Hi smile If your still going I'd love some feedback!

At the moment I'm trying to focus on Beauty. However, there are quite a few shots I haven't got back that would be in that category!

I would also love to hear what you think I should do to move towards getting more creative beauty shoots ( & if you have an idea for one... that would be even better wink )

Really hope to hear from you!  smile

Lauren Sf.

Hi Lauren,
  Here's the list of my favorite images of yours on your site.  The rest are just ok, but nothing big:

1) 1st one of the first row
2) all of second row
3) all of 3rd row.  The second image has some very interesting editing performed.
4) the last 2 of the 4th row. 

You're a very pretty girl and remind me so much of cali monroe who I photographed.  She's the girl in the Egyptian costume (second image on the 10th row down...you can go to her location and see her other images though). 

Anyway, to answer your questions (getting more creative shots).  The biggest things to do when you're going to shoot beauty is to get the right makeup artist and have a photographer that knows his lighting very well.  The magazines are full of beauty shots for makeup purposes and when you look at those you get all kinds of ideas (mind you...not copying them but perhaps expanding on bits and pieces sewn in with other ones).   Moods and eyes are the biggest thing the model needs for those types. 

Also when doing a beauty shot be sure to get a full nights rest before the shoot.

I think with your looks, if you can add a flare of drama to your expressions you're going to do well.

Nov 10 10 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Brandon Ralph wrote:
Hi Image Designer,
Would love to have some serious feedback since i last posted.

-Brandon

Hey Brandon,
   I could see you doing commercial work in your market.  The thing you need to do is have more images of you without the other people and ensure your posing is more suited to the male look.  I'm glad you don't have a million bare chest images like a lot of guys proud of their 6 pack have in their portfolio.

Also add more images with formal attire to your list.  Having all casual doesn't quite do it. Also have the images show you up closer instead of far away which give it more of a point and shoot look and you certainly don't want non-professional looking images like that in your portfolio.

Nov 10 10 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

InspiredOz

Airlie Beach, Queensland, Australia

I like what you are doing here, I am enjoying reading your comments on the models and looking from a photographer's prospective to gain more insite when I work with the next model.

Nov 10 10 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

ElizaMaria wrote:
I recieved your input a while ago I believe, but I have some new work up and would like to know what you think smile

Hi Eliza,
  my suggestion is to try to make your portfolio a bit more consistent.  I'd remove the following if I were you:

1) row 1 image 3
2) row 2 image 2
3) Break up row 3 image 1 into 2 larger (800x600 pixel images.  Too small and when you have small and landscaped, the images will be bypassed).
4) Do you really want to have a sexy (glamour) style look to your portfolio mixed with nice fashion/commercial work?  I mean here in MM I suppose it's ok but in the real world you're going to confuse people. remove the 3rd image in row 3...makes you look too old.  Get rid of the 4th image on row 3...it should be about you and not about you and someone else.
5) the painted face image doesn't look right...you're looking upward...why?  I would expect something like that to look more fierce and straight forward.
6) Get rid of the tshirt image
7) Get rid of row 5.

Work on consistency and showing the fashion/commercial side of you...the other images screw up your portfolio as it stands.

Nov 10 10 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Shicara wrote:
Hello, I have been modeling for approximately... 1 year. I don't have a whole lot of experience, so I would love some critique! I am a tad nervous, because I am a huge personal critique on myself, and I see a lot of flaws in my picture, but I would like to hear what someone else thinks of them. Thank you, I greatly appreciate it.

Hi Shicara...don't feel bad we're all our worst critics.  The good news is that you're a pretty girl with potential to do well expretion wise.  I like seeing the drama in your face.  Now, I'm going to tell you how you're going to get much much further by doing something very basic but extremely difficult to do.  You need to trim down and tone up.  Don't lose all that potential you have because you don't feel like it.   It's not easy for anyone to do believe me, but if you're serious about what you want to do you need to work on it day and night.  It's not easy at all...I know.  Work on it...you're young and have some time to get ahead.  Start today....OK?

Nov 10 10 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Taylor M Madigan wrote:
Me please (:

Hi Taylor,
  You're a pretty girl for sure and remind me of Nicole Kidman in that one shot on the top row.  I like your height and the potential you have to be editorial looking.  However, you need to get a lot more shots in and from good photographers.  The photographic quality of your images leaves a lot to be desired of.

You also need to learn how to pose right and be expressive.  The magic is missing from your images and they look kind of lifeless.  You want to have impact in your images and what I saw in your portfolio is missing impact.

It takes effort to do well and stand above the crowd.  I'm telling you that you have potential but you've got a long way to go to move up the next step.  Lucky for you, you're 16.  So, get with the program and start working on your basic skills and find real photographers to take your pictures. smile

Nov 10 10 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Danee Jameson wrote:
I would love to hear what you think. I'm in need of some honest feedback. Thanks smile

Hi Danee,
   Are you planning to do commercial work now?  You might have a hard time in any large market due to your height and age, but may find local work.  I'd say fitness, swim suite would work well for you.  Commercial would work if it wasn't for the other 2 other factors.  You certainly have the smile for the commercial work though smile.

Glamour is certainly something that doesn't require a certain height.  You probably would do well in it since you're pretty and sexy.   But don't go the nude route if you can help it.  I think with good wardrobe, basic skills and a penchant for drama, you'll do well in glamour without taking it all off.

Nov 10 10 10:31 pm Link

Model

Nada Kurahashi

Preston, England, United Kingdom

I've got loads of space for improvement. And your comments would really help smile thank you

Nov 10 10 11:25 pm Link

Model

Sarah K Mortensen

Manti, Utah, US

hey I know you are probably busy but I really would love for you to critique my port and tell me what I need to work on... I am a very serious model and take my modeling to heart and would love to improve. I hope to hear from you soon. Bad or good comments I wont take it personally just listen to what you have to say and fix the problem.

Thank you
Sarah

Nov 11 10 09:17 pm Link

Model

JacquelineY

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

me too please!  I'm new here... would love feedback!

Nov 11 10 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

aimez-moi wrote:
Hi, If you're still going, I'd love to receive some feedback on how to improve. I'll be updating my port soon (lost a lot of weight from most the pictures in it), and looking forward to hearing some idea of the direction to take, or in fact anything you feel to add. Thanks!

Hi there (not sure what your real name is),
  As I foretold you before in tag I left you, I really enjoyed looking at your images.  You have a lot of potential for many things.  Your only limiting factor is your height if we were talking fashion.  However, even with that you would do well in specialty agencies such as Wilhemina.  They take girls that are a bit shorter. 
Anyway, let's look at the postitive things.  Like I said, I was very impressed with your images.  You have the quality of not only being very pretty but also have the photogenic quality.  You have expression and I believe you can be quite versatile.  In fact, if you were around here, I most certainly would have worked with you.  I don't do that very often, but with girls that have potential like you, I would be defintely interested. 
   Ok so what could you do to improve?  That's a question everyone at any level should be asking themselves.   Since high-fashion is out of the question at the big markets, unless you get on with a specialty agency (which you most certainly should try for first), what are your options:

For money: 
  1) commercial work (practice that smile you need it there)
  2) Artistic work (I can see that with your expressiveness or potential of) you can do very nicely in that area given that you find a great fine arts photographer to work with....you would photograph excellent in B/W.  For that you need to just learn how to set the mood for the images.  I know you can do that from what I see.
  3) Glamour.  You have another quality that works very well for you.  Elegantly sexy.   There are not many that can do that very well.  I think the 2rd image in the 3rd row spells that out.  You have the nice eye contact and the elegance demonstrated there. 

Anyway, now for a few tips on how to improve your posing:

1) never sit some where where your knees are bent and directly in front of you.  They look like they're coming out of your stomach.  You should always have them to the side and make them look as elegant as you are. 
2) learn the s-curve pose.  Just as the name suggests you should curve to an S.  Fashion magazines are full of them.
3) never push your butt to the side for fashion shots.  For fashion you don't want sexy...unless it's very minimal.

For expressiveness and general modeling.
1) Use your eyes a lot!  ( you have excellent eyes and I know you can generate very good expressions).  If you watch America's next Top Model, you'll see the best at posing with eyes in Tyra.
2) always know where the light is and bathe your face in it.  In the mean time know how best to hide what you don't want by using shadows to your advantage.

Anyway, I can go on and on, but just wanted to give you somethings to ponder.

Nov 12 10 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Ora Gilbert wrote:
?

not sure what you mean by "?".  You need to leave a more grown up question here.

Nov 12 10 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Bobby Chisholm wrote:
I would like to know. I'm in

Hi Bobby,
   Right off the bat, I can tell you that you need to be more expressive.  You're only impressive image is the one that you're smiling in.
  Drop all the body showings except 1.  That should be more than enough to tell others that you have a good physique. 
  Get better wardrobe and add some suits and even a tux (if you can afford it) to your collection of shots. 
  In general you need to have more impact in your portfolio.  Right now it's too much of the same look except for the smile.

Nov 12 10 07:50 pm Link

Model

MichelleDModel

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hello Image Designers,
I would love for you to critique my portfolio as well if you do have the time, I love your recommendations and feedback.

Michelle

Nov 12 10 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

xxAMBER ANNxx wrote:
Still hear i would love to know smile i posted a forum but no one said anything sad

Well Amber, the reason they probably didn't is because there's really nothing exciting in your portfolio.  Everything that you have in there has been done millions of times here. 
If you're serious about what you really want to do as you state in your profile, remove the nude/sexy stuff out and start working on your poses and expressiveness.  Just looking pretty or sexy doen't get you anywhere.  Get serious and start working on your skills, only work with non-GWCs and bring life to your shoots.  I hope you know what I'm saying.

Nov 12 10 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Agnes Kulesza wrote:
Love to hear some critique on more of what i should or shouldn't do. I like criticism it helps me improve a lot smile

Hi Agnes,
   Nice to see someone from my hometown here.  Chicago is still my very favorite town in the world. smile.
   Anyway, I can't say much about your work because there's not that much in there.  You're 16 and have potential to do well but it'll take a lot of work for you....that is if you want to be in the catagory with the better models here.  Work on basic skills (posing and expressiveness) to improve your work.  Right now it looks like a bunch of images that mostly some friends took.   I know some are studio type, but it's your basic skills that give that imression.  If you're really serious about what you're doing in modeling get some good photographers, makeup artists, nice wardrobe, great locations to get images that pop.  The photographer is the key to this, because he/she will get the others that you need.  NO GWCs if you want to improve and not just become an average sexy glamour model.

Nov 12 10 08:13 pm Link

Model

Elysia Winter

New York, New York, US

Hey! big_smile

I just added a couple of new images and know that I want to get rid of at least 1/3 of my port to make it stand out more. Do you have any suggestions as far as that goes, anything that jumps out at you? Also, I'm a bit stuck in what direction I want to head. Any opinion would be great, even though I know that it is ultimately up to me. smile

Thanks so much!

Nov 12 10 08:17 pm Link

Model

JonellG

Fredericksburg, Virginia, US

Help me be more fashion please...

Nov 12 10 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Zyla Rose wrote:
Hello!

So I am aware that you said No nude. I have one in my port that shows a nipple.. lol

Am I now disqualified? I would love to read your opinion if I have "Real Model" standards.. =}

Thank you!           ~Zyla Rose

Hi Zyla,
  Well with your height and nice tones, and potentially good posing and expressiveness you should do well.  Although you have more than one nude image, since it was a while ago when you left this and the fact that the nudes are more artistic in nature and you have other "dressed" images, I'll work with you.
In actuallity I really like the fine art looks of many of your images.  I like the displayed mood.

Here's my advice:

immediate:
   1) remove the following images since they don't do anything for you professionally and will probably bring you down:
      -  all the nudes with the other girl in the images
      -  Second and last image of the last row
      -  First one on the first row where you're puckering up your lips.

2)  Get more images with clothing on.  I really like the last row's 3rd image where you're in a picnic setting.

I really like the poses in a couple of your nudes (second image in row 1 and the second and last image of row 2).  If you're going to do nudes then do more with the elegance and art worthiness of thoese.

But I think you should do more clothed ones since i think you can do very well in that area.  You can look quite classy.

So to answer your question: Yes you do have a model look, but have to culitivate it much further to get to the next level.  It's up to you smile

Nov 12 10 08:27 pm Link

Model

Mercadez

San Diego, California, US

I'm still not quite sure my direction yet, or if I have a direction. What do I need to make myself marketable? Or at least pleasant to look at from a photographers point of view?

Nov 12 10 08:29 pm Link

Model

aimez-moi

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Thank you very much for taking the time to go into that for me. I'll definately keep it all in mind, and when you're in Australia some time, or if I head to Cali, I would love to work with you.

Nov 12 10 09:21 pm Link

Model

SamanthaJane

London, England, United Kingdom

Hiya,

appreciate the time you're putting in for everyone here smile I'd like to jump on the wagon too.. let me know what you think? I'm aware i need some full length shots, I'm waiting on some from a recent shoot so hopefully that will be rectified soon. My full port is here: SamanthaJ.carbonmade.com

Was just wondering whether you thought there are any in there that should be in my MM port? Hope that's not being too cheeky wink

all the best and thanks again!

Sam x

Nov 13 10 02:58 pm Link

Model

Aletha J

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

Hi I am a serious model as well and I would be very grateful if a person of your expertise would critique my port and give me some advice on how I can get to that next level of modeling.  Thank you in advance smile

Nov 14 10 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Deanna Demay wrote:
I would love to know how to be more marketable...... smile

Hi Deanna,
   You need to get better images in your portfolio.  The ones you have are ok, but kind of look like everyone elses photos.  In this business the people who pay you are going to look for someone that stands out.  You have to make a super great effort to look beyond the everyday model that they see here.  This means a high level of commitment that many can't make for one reason or another.  You're effort is going to have to include the best you can do in posing and expressing yourslef, looking your best which means getting the best team of pros the money can buy.  You wont get that in the TF* mode.  You need a photographer with consistent proven work in which ever genre you're interested in being (forget fashion because you're way too short and about 3 years too old).  Fitness may work but you'll have to look fit, which means working with weights for endless hours and watching diet and all that.  Glamour will work but you'll have to become good at looking sexy without going overboard (don't do nude).  You need the right wardrobe for each of genre and hopefully the best you can afford.  MUAs/hair stylists should also be high on your list. 

Work on your looks and your basic skills.  Find the best photographer you can and start coming up with images that have impact.  Don't put up any images unless people are going gaga over them.  Don't trust your own judgement...ask a lot of people and see what they think.  This place is perfect for you to find out...enter the images in competitions and ask for critiques or just plain opinions about your images...get a lot of people to give you their thoughts about the images.  Make your portfolio looking consitent.

Nov 15 10 12:36 am Link