This thread was locked on 2009-06-02 12:09:16
Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > How do I even her skin tone?

Photographer

Taryn True

Union City, New Jersey, US

edit:
YO PEOPLE!
I TOOK THIS PICTURE WITH ONE LIGHT AGAINST MY APARTMENT WALL FOR FUN WITH A FRIEND WHO STAYED OVER.

DON'T GET YOUR PANTIES OUTTA WHACK ABOUT MY LIGHTING SETUP, I DIDN'T EVEN ASK FOR HELP WITH THAT BECAUSE I KNOW IT WASN'T SET UP THE WAY IT SHOULD BE.

STOP WITH YOUR UNSOLICITED CRITIQUES USED TO ONLY MAKE YOURSELVES LOOK LIKE YOU MIGHT KNOW SOMETHING BY BOASTING ABOUT YOUR [POOR] LIGHTING SKILLS.

https://modelmayhm-9.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090519/21/4a138500dcdc1_m.jpg

I did this for fun last night. See the various patches of different skin tone degrees (light orange to a darker red) There's even some greyish/blue left in the crease of her eye near her nose.

How do I even that out to be purely one nice color?

Channels, Hue/Sat, Replace Color, Curves, Levels?

May 20 09 06:45 am Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

My first thought would be overlay with empty layers and use a low opacity brush to paint in the tones you want. I'm guessing here, but I'd think a soft light blend mode might work for you.

A trick I use when doing things like this is to use the smudge tool around the edges so they blend in a bit better....not so sharp. But whatever works for you.

I can't think of how else I'd do it. Hopefully someone with more experience can tell you.

May 20 09 07:24 am Link

Photographer

Timothy

Madison, Wisconsin, US

TarilynQuinn wrote:

Yes.

Any of those would work. I generally use hue/sat. and a PS photo filter layer for skin tones.

-------
www.th-photo.net

May 20 09 07:49 am Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

Open the image with several different exposures & WB then mask to blend.

May 20 09 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

airbrush, dodge/burn, color layer, rubber stamp, clone stamp, blur (if you wanted to go here).

A bunch of different ways.

May 20 09 08:10 am Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

A Solid Color adjustment layer set to hue / sat / color of your preferred skin tone is another option not yet mentioned.  Start with it masked away and bring it back where you feel it needs it.

Editing (healing, cloning, patching, blurring) of the H&S layers in HSB mode is another option for directly evening the colors.

For that matter, you could select color for the skin tones, surface blur the bejeesus out of it, and set it to hue / sat / color blend mode.

FWIW, in all cases you're also going to want to level the lightness / brightness / luminosity to keep it looking 'right'.

Beautiful image, btw.

May 20 09 08:16 am Link

Photographer

Taryn True

nwprophoto wrote:
Open the image with several different exposures & WB then mask to blend.

sweet

May 20 09 08:22 am Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

New York, New York, US

ooohh this makes me want to manip now. wish I had some models 'on call'

May 20 09 08:26 am Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Sean Baker wrote:
A Solid Color adjustment layer set to hue / sat / color of your preferred skin tone is another option not yet mentioned.  Start with it masked away and bring it back where you feel it needs it.

I haven't done this in a while, but couldn't a person go into LAB and dodge/burn the L channel (or set a luminocity layer and work on that), then above it use a color layer to get the hue all the same?

May 20 09 08:26 am Link

Photographer

A_Nova_Photography

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, US

Hue/Saturation adjustment layer... Use the eye dropper tool to chose the color, the +/- eye droppers, plus the brackets to isolate the color and adjust to your liking... If you're going to work on reds there's a good chance you're going to end up with multiple adjustments (reds2, reds2, etc...) A good way to really see what color and hue you are affecting is to temporarily push the hue slider all the way to the left and adjust the brackets to isolate the patches... Sounds confusing, but once you get the hang of it you can fix blotchy skin very quickly... Although you may end up masking lips and other parts you don't want to change...

May 20 09 08:29 am Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

Andrew Thomas Designs wrote:

I haven't done this in a while, but couldn't a person go into LAB and dodge/burn the L channel (or set a luminocity layer and work on that), then above it use a color layer to get the hue all the same?

You should be able to, at least as well as I understand it.  I'm terrible with the 'true' D&B tools, so I won't say it's absolutely the case smile.  I would expect the only difficultly to be in making sure the saturation works with the resulting lum, though another Solid Color layer (sat) or a sat mask could probably solve that.

May 20 09 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Philipe

Pomona, California, US

TarilynQuinn wrote:

I did this for fun last night. See the various patches of different skin tone degrees (light orange to a darker red) There's even some greyish/blue left in the crease of her eye near her nose.

Every one is talking about photoshop..
But one has mentioned that there is a hot spot on her face..
Things like adjusting it in photoshop can be avoided with proper make up and lighting..
Adjust your lighting, even trying to adjust the skin tone when the face is blown out..
Won't get the same effect as with good lighting to start with..
Remember photoshop only photoshops what you give it...
You have to have a good picture to start with...

May 20 09 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Taryn True

Philipe wrote:
Things like adjusting it in photoshop can be avoided with proper make up and lighting..
Adjust your lighting, even trying to adjust the skin tone when the face is blown out..

well as stated before, i shot this for fun on my apartment wall. i wasnt asking about the hotspot, i was asking about the red/orange/grey.

May 20 09 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Sentimental-SINtimental

Longview, Washington, US

Thought the name was familiar...  didn't know you were on MM...  we don't know each other personally, but I've always admired your work.  I used to live across the bridge from ya in Newark....  glad to see you still hard at work.

May 21 09 08:19 pm Link

Retoucher

Vega Retouching

MILILANI, Hawaii, US

this need to be done in the beginning change the mode to from rgb to lab then with the selection tool select the area that you wanna blend (remember just the area) then in the channel blur the A and B Channel that should get you started off.

May 26 09 11:06 am Link

Photographer

KevinMichaelReed

New York, New York, US

Philipe wrote:

I actually like the hot spot.  Flat skin is ugly and boring.

May 26 09 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Saadiq Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Philipe wrote:

KevinMichaelReed wrote:
I actually like the hot spot.  Flat skin is ugly and boring.

x2

Good MUA + Good Model(skin) + Correct lighting + Creative Vision  = Great Images

May 29 09 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Taryn True

Vega Retouching wrote:
this need to be done in the beginning change the mode to from rgb to lab then with the selection tool select the area that you wanna blend (remember just the area) then in the channel blur the A and B Channel that should get you started off.

thank you!

Jun 02 09 04:00 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Philipe wrote:

Everytime I see an unsolicited attack, I go check out the portfolio of the head case that did the attacking. Almost all of the time, I come up with the same question; Have you looked at your own work before making such a stupid comment? Would you like me to point to all the boys and girls where you didn't heed your own advice? Of course you wouldn't, you didn't ask for a critique, and neither did the OP.

OP, I have time to burn later today. If you like, I can work up a layer file and show you some fixes that haven't been mentioned yet. Do you have a larger version of the file that you can crop just the face for me to work on? That is, if you would like me to, I don't mean to presume.

Jun 02 09 04:52 am Link

Photographer

Bliss Creative

London, England, United Kingdom

Lightroom 2 has a soft skin brush, very useful, in fact it's an amazing piece of software

Jun 02 09 04:56 am Link

Photographer

Emily Fine

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Philipe wrote:

Some people like whites and blacks sometimes in their images. And some people even like highlights and shadows, too!

Seriously, this person needs advice on the skin tone, not an attack.

Jun 02 09 04:56 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

SAADIQ PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

Philipe wrote:

x2

Good MUA + Good Model(skin) + Correct lighting + Creative Vision  = Great Images

Your formula works for one very narrow application, yours. Take your stupid X2 and hide it where your thought came from, then try to answer the op's question.

Kevin, if you're watching, will you please start giving these people some vacation time. They're ruining what could be a very valuable asset.

Jun 02 09 04:59 am Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

TarilynQuinn wrote:

by lighting the subject corectly in the first place is a great place to start

Jun 02 09 05:04 am Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

its all about the lighting, im pretty sure thats the best way to even the skin out, light it corectly in the first place

Jun 02 09 05:06 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

It's easier to row with the current than against it.

Start with a good model/MUA/skin tones/lighting ect. Make life so much easier. Then you can concentrate on the effects.

Jun 02 09 05:11 am Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

Robert Randall wrote:
Your formula works for one very narrow application, yours. Take your stupid X2 and hide it where your thought came from, then try to answer the op's question.

Kevin, if you're watching, will you please start giving these people some vacation time. They're ruining what could be a very valuable asset.

thats a decent formula that works for a very broad aplication, mine! feel me, dog.

Jun 02 09 05:14 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

LeDeux Art wrote:

by lighting the subject corectly in the first place is a great place to start

When last I saw you, you lit everything you did with an on camera flash using an automatic setting. Is that what you are referring to as correct lighting?

Jun 02 09 05:14 am Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

Robert Randall wrote:
When last I saw you, you lit everything you did with an on camera flash using an automatic setting. Is that what you are referring to as correct lighting?

mr pop up flash, having shot 3 months and being very honest about it, remembeber bob, it was you that wanted to meet me, not the other way around

Jun 02 09 05:16 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Robert Randall wrote:

lol

Jun 02 09 05:17 am Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

Robert Randall wrote:

there were no automatic settings, by the way, ive always used  manual settings, so you got that part wrong, you taught me somthing and it wasnt about lighting

Jun 02 09 05:18 am Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

lol

whats your trip, you got somthing to say , do i even know you

Jun 02 09 05:19 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

LeDeux Art wrote:

thats a decent formula that works for a very broad aplication, mine! feel me, dog.

The op asked how to do something in photoshop, he did not ask what a bunch of unqualified weekend warriors thought about his lighting. If you actually knew how to use that formula, someone besides an MM glam shooter might pay more attention to you.

Jun 02 09 05:21 am Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

Robert Randall wrote:

The op asked how to do something in photoshop, he did not ask what a bunch of unqualified weekend warriors thought about his lighting. If you actually knew how to use that formula, someone besides an MM glam shooter might pay more attention to you.

and my opinion was, it starts with the lighting, not the make up, not the skin, but with the lighting. my answer is the correct answer, whats your trip anyways

Jun 02 09 05:22 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

People, quit with the critiques and either answer the guys question or stay away.

Jun 02 09 05:24 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Robert Randall wrote:
People, quit with the critiques and either answer the guys question or stay away.

Then could you put up an example of a before and after image to answer the op's question.
It will save a lot of time on speculation.

Jun 02 09 05:38 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

c_h_r_i_s wrote:

Then could you put up an example of a before and after image to answer the op's question.
It will save a lot of time on speculation.

If you read above you will note I asked for a file and permission to work it. When done, I will upload a layered file everyone can download, including ledeux, if he can figure out how to click the link.

Jun 02 09 05:52 am Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

a demonstration
lighting set up no. 1
https://modelmayhm-8.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090509/07/4a0593d91d980_m.jpg
lighting set up no. 2
https://modelmayhm-4.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090602/05/4a251f53d0a1d_m.jpg
same model, same skin, same make up but by switching places with the subject, you can see how it is lighting that changed this image.

Jun 02 09 05:53 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

LeDeux Art wrote:

and my opinion was, it starts with the lighting, not the make up, not the skin, but with the lighting. my answer is the correct answer, whats your trip anyways

My trip, as you seem fond of asking, is that this is a digital forum and the op asked for a digital solution. My return trip is that you, of all people to suggest lighting is the answer, gives me pause.

Jun 02 09 05:56 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Robert Randall wrote:

If you read above you will note I asked for a file and permission to work it. When done, I will upload a layered file everyone can download, including ledeux, if he can figure out how to click the link.

I need to keep in touch with this forum as I almost totally rely on lighting...Call me old fashioned.

Jun 02 09 05:58 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

LeDeux Art wrote:
a demonstration
lighting set up no. 1
https://modelmayhm-8.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090509/07/4a0593d91d980_m.jpg
lighting set up no. 2
https://modelmayhm-4.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090602/05/4a251f53d0a1d_m.jpg
same model, same skin, same make up but by switching places with the subject, you can see how it is lighting that changed this image.

I am speechless, and I think everyone will agree I need say no more.

Jun 02 09 05:58 am Link