Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Welcome to all of the Newbies :)

Model

Elle

Marshfield, Wisconsin, US

Hell, we are all newbies at this one big_smile

Glad to have you all here and pay homage to your Retouching forum Moderator, Kevin Connery big_smile
https://www.modelmayhem.com/649192
https://www.modelmayhem.com/72

May 21 09 05:48 pm Link

Retoucher

P A P A R A Z Z I

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hooray for kevin hip hip!!!!

May 21 09 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

EA Photographics

Reading, Pennsylvania, US

Thanks guys!  This is long overdue...

May 21 09 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Blue Cube Imaging

Ashland, Oregon, US

Very excited about this forum. It is long overdue.

May 21 09 05:59 pm Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

ElleM wrote:

The best thing about being a 'newbie' now is that there are so many people, places, and resources from which to learn. (When I first started using Photoshop [v1.04], there was one third party book on Photoshop: Deke McClelland's Photoshop Bible.)

The worst thing about being a newbie now is that all the imaging products are so much more elaborate in depth and breadth than they were even a single decade ago that it's altogether too easy to feel that you need to understand everything before getting started--when even a 5-10% understanding can be quite effective.

In an entirely different context, Charles Dickens described the situation well.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way...

May 21 09 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

EA Photographics

Reading, Pennsylvania, US

Kevin_Connery wrote:

ElleM wrote:

The best thing about being a 'newbie' now is that there are so many people, places, and resources from which to learn. (When I first started using Photoshop [v1.04], there was one third party book on Photoshop: Deke McClelland's Photoshop Bible.)

The worst thing about being a newbie now is that all the imaging products are so much more elaborate in depth and breadth than they were even a single decade ago that it's altogether too easy to feel that you need to understand everything before getting started--when even a 5-10% understanding can be quite effective.

Well, Kevin, I would dearly love to be able to approach 5 - 10%.  Maybe, with your help and patience, I can get there...  smile

May 21 09 06:05 pm Link

Model

Elle

Marshfield, Wisconsin, US

I know how to kinda use the burn and dodge tools in CS2. Id love to learn hella lot more things though...right now, my knowledge is limited to what I used to use in the actual darkroom and have applied it to digital. My photography account needs an update!

May 21 09 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

Sentimental-SINtimental

Longview, Washington, US

Kevin_Connery wrote:

ElleM wrote:

Wow.... I remember that book... was a long time before I replaced it.  I must be getting old.   Like you    hahahaha

May 21 09 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Hey. Kevin. Thanks.

May 21 09 09:50 pm Link

Retoucher

Lunarimaging

Chicago, Illinois, US

sweet, my kinda forum ^^

May 22 09 01:45 am Link

Retoucher

Retouching Fantastique

New York, New York, US

Kevin_Connery wrote:

I remember.
But for me it was the worst of times.

Photoshop was really expensive, so I could only get access to it at the local college, and it only ran on Mac. I wish there had been a forum like this back then - I go SO frustrated with Photoshop that I didn't use it again for years - not until 5.0 came out!

Maybe if I had McClelland's book I wouldn't have given up so soon. sad

May 22 09 04:44 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I'm glad that we now have this forum on MM.
I hope that I will learn a few things.

May 22 09 08:10 am Link