Forums > Model Colloquy > Are you a "short" model like me? 5 ft 4?

Model

Lauren Conklin

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Confidence is key! For a lot of print work, your height is not as important--I'm also 5'4". However, with a good pair of heels and the right camera angle, a 5'4" girl can look a foot taller! smile I don't do nudes/fetish/etc, but have still managed to get paid work. Knowing what you're willing to do, and what you want to do going in will help you to connect with photographers and artists whose goals line up with yours.

Oct 15 13 10:07 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

Lauren Conklin wrote:
For a lot of print work, your height is not as important

This is untrue.

Oct 15 13 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

MesmerEyes Photography

Galveston, Texas, US

Alexandria Vaughn wrote:

doesn't mean it isn't helpful

+1

Oct 15 13 10:22 pm Link

Model

Sandra Vixen

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

A lot of my friends are dancers, and they modeled quite a lot, dance modeling here in the US is more open to shorter folk (but only in the US).

Oct 16 13 01:58 am Link

Model

chasingKelly

Stanton, California, US

5'5 over here. It's been more of a concern about my weight rather than my height.

Oct 16 13 04:00 am Link

Photographer

Jim McSmith

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom

Dekilah wrote:
I'm am what I would call very short a 4'10". What is odd, in my experience, is that a lot photographers really don't care as much as you'll be told on here. I see there being 3 reasons for that:
1) I'm not doing fashion/runway
2) They know how to shoot me to make me look taller and given that I'm proprotionate, it isn't that difficult (at least so I've been told)
3) They are mostly shooting as a hobby or for a small business
Again, that's been my experience.

Now, if you're wanting to get paid, that's a little different. Right now, I have 4 paid shoots lined up. They're all nude. But in my case, they aren't wanting Playboy nude, they all want something different. One owns an apparently successful studio and needs sample boudoir style nudes, another just wants to shoot nudes for his port, and the third and fourth are a mixture of port work and what I suspect are better GWCs (the nice kind). One wants art nudes exclusively, the other wants more glamour (his work looks like a cross between Playboy and more artistic glamour nudes if you can picture that). Some of them also want to do lingerie and swimwear, etc.

If you do get into nude modeling, I recommend asking around here for advice. I got lots of good advice when I started in about a month ago.

You could fit in my pocket. There could be a niche market for portable models you can use anywhere and when the need arises and if you're inflatable then that's even better.

Oct 18 13 05:52 am Link