Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > How is this done?

Photographer

Duncan Hall

San Francisco, California, US

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic … up_id=&ua=

I've tried some things, but I can't figure out how to perfectly blend a model against a layer background. Also, how is that unnaturally perfect skin accomplished?

Thanks in advance,

duncan

May 22 09 10:48 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Los Angeles, California, US

Duncan Hall wrote:
Also, how is that unnaturally perfect skin accomplished?

Possibly by using a model that has good skin.

Also its possible the shot was done thruogh pantyhose over the lens.
A photographer I shoot with frequently uses this method
which looks alot like your example.

May 22 09 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

killer pinups

Tacoma, Washington, US

Roshar wrote:

Possibly by using a model that has good skin.

Also its possible the shot was done thruogh pantyhose over the lens.
A photographer I shoot with frequently uses this method
which looks alot like your example.

Good call, I'd add why not ask the photographer?

May 22 09 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

Duncan Hall

Good skin is expensive. wink

I'm more interested in the background effect, to be honest. And I did ask him, but that's good advice.

May 22 09 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

Sal W Hanna

Huntington Beach, California, US

Layer the image, background, foreground and then add the background on top of the foreground and opaque the added foreground layer until it blends.

May 22 09 11:07 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Duncan Hall wrote:

I'm more interested in the background effect, to be honest. And I did ask him, but that's good advice.

The background doesnt look like its been done in post.

although It could have been darkened or "burned" around the edges

May 22 09 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

killer pinups

Tacoma, Washington, US

Duncan Hall wrote:

you mean like the halo outline?

Potatoshop/burn tool set on low opacity I'd guess

May 22 09 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

robert christopher

Snohomish, Washington, US

i think he may be just adding a textured image on top of his original image. i have looked at a lot of his work and he seems to use the same textured layer in different works.

May 22 09 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

Duncan Hall

robert christopher wrote:
i think he may be just adding a textured image on top of his original image. i have looked at a lot of his work and he seems to use the same textured layer in different works.

Really? So, would I need to shoot in front of a white wall, then?

Thanks for the advice thus far, everyone.

May 22 09 11:27 pm Link

Retoucher

Jessica Loewen Retouch

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

robert christopher wrote:

+1 - seems to be right

May 22 09 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

MisterC

Portland, Oregon, US

There's a textured layer on top of the image to give it that thick grayish tone.

In any case, ask this photographer, he's very nice;
https://www.modelmayhem.com/45851

May 22 09 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Allen Studio

Tacoma, Washington, US

Duncan Hall wrote:

Really? So, would I need to shoot in front of a white wall, then?

Thanks for the advice thus far, everyone.

I don't think color of the background matters much if your covering it with some texture [layer(s)].

May 22 09 11:32 pm Link

Photographer

Duncan Hall

Craig Allen Studio wrote:

I don't think color of the background matters much if your covering it with some texture [layer(s)].

If it's white that means I don't have to worry about the color of the wall interfering with the color of the texture, right? Or does it just have to be monotone? Or does it really not matter at all? I don't know..

And yes, the more I look the more I realize it is a team effort. Everything is flawlessly professional...

And he does seem pretty nice. Maybe if I sleep on his lawn for a month he'll train me.

May 22 09 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

Manuel Rego

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

I'll point you in the right direction:  reduce the contrast in post.

May 22 09 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Allen Studio

Tacoma, Washington, US

Duncan Hall wrote:

If it's white that means I don't have to worry about the color of the wall interfering with the color of the texture, right? Or does it just have to be monotone? Or does it really not matter at all? I don't know..

And yes, the more I look the more I realize it is a team effort. Everything is flawlessly professional...

And he does seem pretty nice. Maybe if I sleep on his lawn for a month he'll train me.

I'm not sure since I don't do any of that kind of editing after I shoot the images.

I do shoot with a model friend who loves to play with the images after we shoot and here is one she's altered with some layer things.

https://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/68/l_27e475bb0b0444dfa53b3a15f26f0825.jpg

Just an example of the colors wall.

May 22 09 11:59 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

These are some of the examples of shooting with pantyhose attached to the lens.

Just a question.
I know this is a PS thread, but why not try to get the effect in camera before adding a PS effect?

Im sure Im gonna be shot for saying this in this forum.
:-)

Click for larger image...

https://modelmayhm-9.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090507/00/4a029142553b7_m.jpg

https://modelmayhm-9.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090105/23/4963043921113_m.jpg

May 23 09 12:02 am Link

Photographer

Craig Allen Studio

Tacoma, Washington, US

Roshar wrote:

Just a question.
I know this is a PS thread, but why not try to get the effect in camera before adding a PS effect?

no shame to my game, I'll say it for you.

I'd rather shoot in camera myself

May 23 09 12:09 am Link

Photographer

Duncan Hall

Manuel Rego wrote:
I'll point you in the right direction:  reduce the contrast in post.

Reduce the contrast? To make the skin tones more even?

I'm not sure since I don't do any of that kind of editing after I shoot the images.

I do shoot with a model friend who loves to play with the images after we shoot and here is one she's altered with some layer things.

That's really impressive. I don't have the first clue how all that happened. I guess I need a more comprehensive tutorial than what I anticipated.

Roshar wrote:

Just a question.

I'd love to, but I don't think a lot of those effects are possible in camera. I would like to improve my lighting and staging abilities, though.

I'm glad you linked me to the first image, because I ran and downloaded it to dissect before you ever mentioned it. It's easily one of the best I've seen. Knowing more about how it was created makes me very happy.

Thanks again, everyone. You don't how nice it is for a novice to get first-hand advice from you guys.

May 23 09 12:13 am Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

TH is the man. I love his style. I did a shot with him in mind that is in my port. His work is quite inspirational to me.

May 23 09 12:23 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Gibson Photo Art wrote:
TH is the man. I love his style. I did a shot with him in mind that is in my port. His work is quite inspirational to me.

Its my understanding that he styles all the images himself... hair, makeup, wardrobe, set. He is an awesome team of one!

May 23 09 10:13 am Link

Photographer

robert christopher

Snohomish, Washington, US

yes shoot against a white wall but keep some separation so it goes grey, create a vignette to darken the edges, desaturate slightly, use a texture layer over the original, i use soft light blend mode and erase slightly over the model with a soft brush.

here is a texture to start with but you will find others that you like better for your style.

http://roxstock.deviantart.com/art/roxs … 3-84127321

it will come close, but he is still doing something else that i cant figure out.

May 23 09 08:51 pm Link

Model

Lea Halliwell

Lexington, Kentucky, US

Roshar wrote:

Just a question.

So how far away is the pantyhose from the lens.  Is it "stretched" over it or held a few inches away?
I'm guessing stretched?

May 23 09 09:10 pm Link

Model

Lea Halliwell

Lexington, Kentucky, US

https://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/68/l_27e475bb0b0444dfa53b3a15f26f0825.jpg

That is amazing!  Tell her I said so, if you don't mind?

May 23 09 09:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Lea Halliwell wrote:

So how far away is the pantyhose from the lens.  Is it "stretched" over it or held a few inches away?
I'm guessing stretched?

Stretched over the lens.

May 24 09 09:53 am Link

Body Painter

R-T-B

Chandler, Arizona, US

Robert Randall wrote:

Its my understanding that he styles all the images himself... hair, makeup, wardrobe, set. He is an awesome team of one!

I heard the same thing. Amazing to have all that skill in one person.

May 24 09 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

R-T-B wrote:

I heard the same thing. Amazing to have all that skill in one person.

ooops. Sorry. MUA was signed into my PC and forgot to log himself out. Sorry for the confusion.

May 24 09 04:00 pm Link

Model

Countess Grotesque

Mandurah, Western Australia, Australia

For best results take a photo of a model on a plain background like white or a blue/green screen.
I use white a lot and then I edit the backgrounds. You can download or create brushes to make the background effects shown in the link you provided.

May 25 09 03:14 am Link

Photographer

BornArts

Fresno, California, US

Why a bunch of photographers are in the digital art and retouching forum only to tell you to do it with a camera is beside me.  Obviously, they were no help to you.

When you want to blend a subject with the background you must do several things.  The most important step is to color match the subject to the background.  First select the subject layer then go here: image>adjustments>match color... Here you will find several options.  down at the bottom under image statistics, select the background layer as the source.  Now you can play around with the above sliders until the subject layer matches perfectly with the background.

After you do that, I am sure you can figure out the rest for blending the subject with the background.  Hope this helps.

May 25 09 03:51 am Link

Photographer

Duncan Hall

Thank you all again. And while I admit it isn't directly helpful when people suggest getting results in camera which are impossible, I don't really mind since it reminds me that there most of a good photograph is the initial shot.

May 26 09 05:19 pm Link