Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > How in the hell...

Photographer

Duncan Hall

San Francisco, California, US

http://www.flickr.com/photos/petaphotog … 553733512/

Do I get a photograph to look like this?

Thanks in advance. wink

May 25 09 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

Aryx

Stockton, California, US

Wow! I wanna know the answer to this question now, too!

May 25 09 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

MisterC

Portland, Oregon, US

Meh, add some grain and goldish tone.

May 25 09 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

why not ask Peta?

May 25 09 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

K Ulvestad Photography

Edmonds, Washington, US

Photoshop smile

It looks like 2 photos put together.  They both have a good depth of field, and have been manipulated.

Or, you could ask the photographer that posted it. . .

May 25 09 10:31 pm Link

Retoucher

Vega Retouching

MILILANI, Hawaii, US

HDR Photography with a little retouching

May 26 09 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Stroke Of Light

Spokane, Washington, US

Vega Retouching wrote:

i agree its hdr done well i just took a hal schmitt seminar on how to do hdr  and his photos look like this but better..  im looking into the lepp institute

May 26 09 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Alex Rodriguez gfx

Anaheim, California, US

Vega Retouching wrote:

I agree w this one too!

May 26 09 10:49 am Link

Photographer

Hipgnosis Dreams

Dallas, Texas, US

Vega Retouching wrote:

I doubt that HDR (tone-mapping) had anything to do with this image.  There is zero detail in the blacks. 

It looks more like simple luminosity masks to deepen/block-out the shadows.  The yellow tone could be done with a curves layer, solid color layer set to softlight/color/screen/or any other blending mode if masked well, Variations, or any of another few dozen color correction/shifting tools.

An answer from the photographer that took the photo will yield the best possible response though.  We can only guess and theorize on how it was done.

May 26 09 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

A slice of oblivion wrote:
It looks more like simple luminosity masks to deepen/block-out the shadows.  The yellow tone could be done with a curves layer, solid color layer set to softlight/color/screen/or any other blending mode if masked well, Variations, or any of another few dozen color correction/shifting tools.

You would do the yellow with a curves layer and not just slap a color layer over it that's yellow?

May 26 09 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Hipgnosis Dreams

Dallas, Texas, US

Andrew Thomas Designs wrote:
You would do the yellow with a curves layer and not just slap a color layer over it that's yellow?

Go into individual channels and tweak the curves just like you normally would.  Hit the RGB (or CMYK) channel dropdown (Blue and Red for RGB or Cyan and Magenta for CMYK - since the image wasn't necessarily a pure yellow hue) and adjust accordingly.  This also works for color corrections with obvious color casts. 

Since it's done through Curves, you can tweak the highlights, shadows, or mids individually.  Throw in a series of Luminosity Masks on those curves and you can start really tightening up exactly where those color casts end up.

For an image like this, I would probably just use a solid color layer and adjust the opacity and blending mode until I got the look I wanted.  But you would have a bit more control with a curves layer.  The question would then be whether or not you needed that extra control.

May 26 09 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Photography by J

Oxford, Ohio, US

There are lots of plugins that produce effects like these, also. F'rex, the Nik Color Efex set has several like this (maybe a Midnight Sepia?).

EDIT: Actually, it's Monday Morning Sepia that has the grain effect option...

May 26 09 01:00 pm Link

Model

Wendy McCracken

Osgood, Indiana, US

Duncan Hall wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/petaphotography/3553733512/

Do I get a photograph to look like this?

Thanks in advance. wink

Take pictures of a model in a graveyard with blach and white film. That may not be the only steps, but from previous photoshoots in a graveyard, that would be my suggestion.

May 26 09 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Corey Ward

Austin, Texas, US

Learn how to use Photoshop. There's nothing fancy about what he's done there. Curves, adjustment layers, layer masks, blending modes, and basic brushes/selections and voila you know what you're doing.

May 26 09 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Skydancer Photos

Santa Cruz, California, US

Wendy Fryer wrote:

Take pictures of a model in a graveyard with blach and white film. That may not be the only steps, but from previous photoshoots in a graveyard, that would be my suggestion.

there you go

/end thread

tongue

May 26 09 01:13 pm Link

Retoucher

PDRetouch

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

Vega Retouching wrote:

Yeah... but also some curve adjustments to certain brightness levels to darken the tone without losing detail.

May 26 09 04:34 pm Link