Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Is the recession impacting your business?

Retoucher

Solstice Retouch

New York, New York, US

The recession seems to hit us all in some way or form. How hard has it impacted you regarding your business?

Do you find your clients saving the money on retouching and outsourcing it to cheaper means? Or do you find them reducing the amount they present to you? Or are you one of the lucky ones where everything is still pretty decent traffic wise?

Would love to hear how things are going for you.

May 30 09 11:11 am Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

I found recent clients seem to be spending more on the retouching ans saving on models and photography, at least the stuff I have been sent from other productions.  Since paying more on retouching is a one time fee per image, rather than paying higher rates on usage for better level models and photographers.  In some of my own productions, I have noticed they have lowered the standards of models if they feel I can enhance the models overall look in post, which leads to hiring lower price per use models, with lower dayrates.  Not in all cases, but in a few. 

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.PhotographersPortfolio.com

May 30 09 11:17 am Link

Retoucher

Solstice Retouch

New York, New York, US

StephenEastwood wrote:
I found recent clients seem to be spending more on the retouching ans saving on models and photography, at least the stuff I have been sent from other productions.  Since paying more on retouching is a one time fee per image, rather than paying higher rates on usage for better level models and photographers.  In some of my own productions, I have noticed they have lowered the standards of models if they feel I can enhance the models overall look in post, which leads to hiring lower price per use models, with lower dayrates.  Not in all cases, but in a few. 

Stephen Eastwood

Thank you Stephen,

That's a interesting perspective on the way things are going at the moment. I never thought of it that way, but it seems to pay off for everyone.

May 30 09 11:40 am Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

Solstice Retouch wrote:

Thank you Stephen,

That's a interesting perspective on the way things are going at the moment. I never thought of it that way, but it seems to pay off for everyone.

not everyone, models are hurting at time because of it, and by that so are their agencies, and possibly even photographers who get passed over for a slightly lesser one. 

Stephen Eastwood

May 30 09 11:48 am Link

Photographer

MisterC

Portland, Oregon, US

Yes, it's impacting it positively.

Playing off the term "staycation" I've been marketing "Fake-ations" for those who can no longer afford to vacate. I offer to photoshop a family doing various activities into their desired location. I print the images into a little photo book along with a cd/slide show.

And since I often charge less then "pro" studios, I'm getting new clients as well, who are simply looking for a price break.

May 30 09 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

This would be a good time to own a few Mc Donalds' franchises.

They seem to be the only businesses that are actually doing better than before.

KM

May 30 09 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

MinisterC  wrote:
Yes, it's impacting it positively.

Playing off the term "staycation" I've been marketing "Fake-ations" for those who can no longer afford to vacate. I offer to photoshop a family doing various activities into their desired location. I print the images into a little photo book along with a cd/slide show.

And since I often charge less then "pro" studios, I'm getting new clients as well, who are simply looking for a price break.

Maybe you can retouch me into holiday parties I don't want to attend so I can claim I did and they just don't remember seeing me. smile

Stephen Eastwood
Http://www.StephenEastwood.com

May 30 09 02:00 pm Link

Model

Wendy McCracken

Osgood, Indiana, US

StephenEastwood wrote:

not everyone, models are hurting at time because of it, and by that so are their agencies, and possibly even photographers who get passed over for a slightly lesser one. 

Stephen Eastwood

Models are hurting, mainly since, from my experience, photographers aren't contacting the models to shoot, not even for TFP.

May 30 09 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Trevor Warren

Portland, Oregon, US

Wendy Fryer wrote:
Models are hurting, mainly since, from my experience, photographers aren't contacting the models to shoot, not even for TFP.

Personally, once I worked out the numbers and realized that the average amount of time I put into a TFP shoot is worth about $1,000 if I were doing design work, the fun kind of got sucked out of the idea.

Strangely at the same time I've gotten more unsolicited paid offers from models than ever before so I'm guessing the TFP party isn't just over for me right now.

May 30 09 02:44 pm Link

Retoucher

Glamour Retouch

Columbia, South Carolina, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
This would be a good time to own a few Mc Donalds' franchises.

They seem to be the only businesses that are actually doing better than before.

KM

Ken, I agree

May 30 09 03:04 pm Link