Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Help! Selection Keep Jerking Off!

Photographer

D0TD0TD0T

New York, New York, US

I have the problem exactly as shown below, where I use the Polygonal selection tool to draw a selection, and the selection end up having cubes I didn't draw in?

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/090818/19/4a8b6480d7f5c.jpg

I also have the same problem when drawing a similar shape with the Pen tool, but when I do this on a new empty canvas, the same error doesn't occur. Anybody got any idea how I can fix it?

The image mode was on RGB and 16 bit.

Aug 18 09 07:37 pm Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

Agoura Hills, California, US

I've never seen that happen. Are all of your "refine edge" settings on default?

Aug 18 09 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

D0TD0TD0T

New York, New York, US

mikedimples wrote:
I've never seen that happen. Are all of your "refine edge" settings on default?

Yeah I tried resetting all the tools, still gives me the same error. Arggg!

Aug 18 09 08:13 pm Link

Retoucher

Elle May

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

This has never happened to me either so I'm at a loss. Maybe someone with more experience with PS can answer this.

Aug 18 09 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

D0TD0TD0T

New York, New York, US

Michelle Ames wrote:
This has never happened to me either so I'm at a loss. Maybe someone with more experience with PS can answer this.

Lol, I always get these rare freak errors.

Aug 18 09 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

tonygale

New York, New York, US

You can probably switch to quick mask, then erase or add to the selection.  Then switch it off. That ought to work

Aug 18 09 08:23 pm Link

Retoucher

Elle May

You  Bin wrote:

Lol, I always get these rare freak errors.

Haha. Maybe it has something to do with PC settings? Did this problem just start after you've been using PS normally?

Aug 18 09 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

D0TD0TD0T

New York, New York, US

tonygale wrote:
You can probably switch to quick mask, then erase or add to the selection.  Then switch it off. That ought to work

It does work that way, but I want avoid this problem in the first place.

It's driving me crazy!

Aug 18 09 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

D0TD0TD0T

New York, New York, US

Michelle Ames wrote:

Haha. Maybe it has something to do with PC settings? Did this problem just start after you've been using PS normally?

I hardly ever use the polygonal selection tools or the pen tool, so I can't really recall when the problem started. I'm going to try reinstalling photoshop, hopefully that works.

Aug 18 09 08:28 pm Link

Retoucher

Velvet Paper Editing

Lexington, Kentucky, US

lol  Next time think about using a different term to use in the title.  lol

Aug 18 09 08:29 pm Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

Agoura Hills, California, US

Somehow, I doubt it was accidental.

Aug 18 09 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

D0TD0TD0T

New York, New York, US

Paper Moon Editing wrote:
lol  Next time think about using a different term to use in the title.  lol

Selection getting wanky? : D

Aug 18 09 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

D0TD0TD0T

New York, New York, US

mikedimples wrote:

I don't think so either, cause I keep drawing the same shape over and over again, and it keep adding cubes!

Aug 18 09 08:35 pm Link

Retoucher

Elle May

You  Bin wrote:

Selection getting wanky? : D

+1 big_smile

Aug 18 09 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

M A R T I N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

how many images have you tried this with? is this on a pixel layer?

Aug 18 09 08:37 pm Link

Retoucher

Elle May

You  Bin wrote:

I hardly ever use the polygonal selection tools or the pen tool, so I can't really recall when the problem started. I'm going to try reinstalling photoshop, hopefully that works.

Hmm. I always use the polygon and pen tools so you should too! But only if they are working properly. wink For that I have no solution. And it seems so far no one else does either.

Aug 18 09 08:37 pm Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

I've never heard of that kind of behavior, and I've seen a lot of oddities.

It's a bit of a long shot, but it's easy enough to try, so I'm going to suggest the usual 'reset the preferences'

A surprising number of Photoshop quirks can be resolved by resetting the preference file. This can be done by launching the application, and holding down Control+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS). That will bring up a dialog asking whether you want to clear the preferences: click Yes.

Note that reinstalling does NOT automatically clear your preferences, and is rarely an effective solution to Photoshop software issues.

The downside is that you do need to save your Actions and you may need to recreate some of your default settings, but the majority of odd behavior--if not as odd as what you're getting-clears up after that.

Aug 18 09 08:38 pm Link

Retoucher

Velvet Paper Editing

Lexington, Kentucky, US

mikedimples wrote:

Hmm... maybe it was a good idea for the attention.  lol

Aug 18 09 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

D0TD0TD0T

New York, New York, US

Myshkin wrote:
how many images have you tried this with? is this on a pixel layer?

I tried it on a couple images and on new empty documents. I'm not sure what you mean by pixel layer. I tried it both on a image layer and on a empty layer.

The only time this doesn't happen is when I make the shape on a new document using Photoshop Default Size option.

Aug 18 09 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

D0TD0TD0T

New York, New York, US

Kevin_Connery wrote:
I've never heard of that kind of behavior, and I've seen a lot of oddities.

It's a bit of a long shot, but it's easy enough to try, so I'm going to suggest the usual 'reset the preferences'

A surprising number of Photoshop quirks can be resolved by resetting the preference file. This can be done by launching the application, and holding down Control+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS). That will bring up a dialog asking whether you want to clear the preferences: click Yes.

Note that reinstalling does NOT automatically clear your preferences, and is rarely an effective solution to Photoshop software issues.

The downside is that you do need to save your Actions and you may need to recreate some of your default settings, but the majority of odd behavior--if not as odd as what you're getting-clears up after that.

Thanks,

I just tried resetting the preferences, but it didn't work.

Aug 18 09 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

M A R T I N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

You  Bin wrote:

I tried it on a couple images and on new empty documents. I'm not sure what you mean by pixel layer. I tried it both on a image layer and on a empty layer.

The only time this doesn't happen is when I make the shape on a new document using Photoshop Default Size option.

the default is 8bit sRGB 72dpi. are you saying that if you opened a new document as 16bit rgb it will do this?

Aug 18 09 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Duffy

Riverside, California, US

Sometimes you have to reinstall...worst case scenario

Aug 18 09 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

D0TD0TD0T

New York, New York, US

Myshkin wrote:

the default is 8bit sRGB 72dpi. are you saying that if you opened a new document as 16bit rgb it will do this?

I just tried it a couple of times on a 72dpi file vs a 240dpi file, it does seem to be the case.

On the 72 dpi file, the cubes doesn't appear automatically.

Aug 18 09 08:58 pm Link

Retoucher

Elle May

You  Bin wrote:

I'm sure my default is on 8bit sRGB as well, but when I open RAW files it is always as 16bit Adobe RGB and I never have problems.

Aug 18 09 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

M A R T I N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

You  Bin wrote:
I just tried it a couple of times on a 72dpi file vs a 240dpi file, it does seem to be the case.

On the 72 dpi file, the cubes doesn't appear automatically.

ok so it's not 8bit vs 16bit? just dpi? it sounds like it's a file size issue, meaning a rendering issue?

EDIT: in that case check your performance settings, try the cache levels

Aug 18 09 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

D0TD0TD0T

New York, New York, US

Myshkin wrote:

ok so it's not 8bit vs 16bit? just dpi? it sounds like it's a file size issue, meaning a rendering issue?

So what should I do?

Aug 18 09 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

M A R T I N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

You  Bin wrote:

So what should I do?

I edited above. make sure you restart PS if you make any performance changes.

Aug 18 09 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

M A R T I N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

hmm can you clarify when exactly the cubes appear? obviously you were able to make a polygonal selection and take a screen cap of it. how do you get from that to the cubes appearing?

Aug 18 09 09:10 pm Link

Retoucher

Elle May

I'm still waiting for this thread to be called Selection Getting Wanky. smile

Aug 18 09 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

D0TD0TD0T

New York, New York, US

Myshkin wrote:
hmm can you clarify when exactly the cubes appear? obviously you were able to make a polygonal selection and take a screen cap of it. how do you get from that to the cubes appearing?

It happens when I complete the selection.

I tried changing the cache level and restarting, didn't work.

I experiment the error a bit again, it's the image size that affects whether or not it occurs not the dpi. The error doesn't occur in a small image. For example when I resize a regular photo file from 4272 x 2848 pixels to 900 x 600 pixels, the error is gone.

Aug 18 09 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

M A R T I N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

You  Bin wrote:

It happens when I complete the selection.

I tried changing the cache level and restarting, didn't work.

I experiment the error a bit again, it's the image size that affects whether or not it occurs not the dpi. The error doesn't occur in a small image. For example when I resize a regular photo file from 4272 x 2848 pixels to 900 x 600 pixels, the error is gone.

interesting. I'm not sure that a reinstall would even help that. I'm thinking scratch disc, RAM, cache. Something is messing up the redraw.

my next question is whether the selection is actually there or only appears to be. can you try something like deleting the contents of the selection and see if it deletes the cube selections or ignores them?

Aug 18 09 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

D0TD0TD0T

New York, New York, US

Myshkin wrote:

interesting. I'm not sure that a reinstall would even help that. I'm thinking scratch disc, RAM, cache. Something is messing up the redraw.

my next question is whether the selection is actually there or only appears to be. can you try something like deleting the contents of the selection and see if it deletes the cube selections or ignores them?

Selection is really there! No illusion trying to screw me over. If I cut an image using that selection, the cubes are there.

Aug 18 09 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

M A R T I N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

You  Bin wrote:

Selection is really there! No illusion trying to screw me over. If I cut an image using that selection, the cubes are there.

haha ok I'm out of ideas. maybe try some of the adobe forums, not sure how fast they are to respond.

Aug 18 09 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

Kal Photo

Corona, California, US

Perhaps there is a mask on that layer preventing those areas from being selected?  For shits and giggles, try copying the file to a new one (so this test isn't destructive), flatten the image, remove any mask on the flattened image, then run your selection again.

Aug 18 09 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

Darkroom Photographics

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

when you make the selection do the squares appear in the exact same spots or do they move around, how many duplicate layers do you have and if more then one are you on a layer that maybe has portions of the image removed? thus causing the empty space to automatically be selected?
i may be way out there with this one

Aug 18 09 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

D0TD0TD0T

New York, New York, US

D I D Photography wrote:
when you make the selection do the squares appear in the exact same spots or do they move around, how many duplicate layers do you have and if more then one are you on a layer that maybe has portions of the image removed? thus causing the empty space to automatically be selected?
i may be way out there with this one

I tried both with layers and flattened.

RRags wrote:
Perhaps there is a mask on that layer preventing those areas from being selected?  For shits and giggles, try copying the file to a new one (so this test isn't destructive), flatten the image, remove any mask on the flattened image, then run your selection again.

And I also tried that.

Dammit, maybe I'm just not meant to use the Polygonal Lasso Tool or the Pen Tool lol.

Aug 18 09 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

Darkroom Photographics

do the sqaures still propagate in the same location when you try and select again?

Aug 18 09 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

Kal Photo

Corona, California, US

How about posting the psd so we can see if it happens on our photoshop installs?  Paint on top of the model or something so your work is safe.

Aug 18 09 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

Darkroom Photographics

RRags wrote:
How about posting the psd so we can see if it happens on our photoshop installs?  Paint on top of the model or something so your work is safe.

+1

Aug 18 09 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

D0TD0TD0T

New York, New York, US

D I D Photography wrote:

+1

But it's not just on my photo files, it's also happening on empty new files. So it's definitely software, maybe some damn active plug-in. Arggg.

Aug 18 09 10:58 pm Link