Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Merging vs Flattening

Photographer

Kym Trice

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I am at a point of trying something new (to me) and is at a crossroad of determining what I should do or even if it really matters. Experts, when combining two images together in photoshop, should merging and/or flatten layers be used? What is the difference? Does it really make a difference? Please advise and thanks in advance for your help

Aug 20 09 11:43 pm Link

Model

Lea Halliwell

Lexington, Kentucky, US

I think when you merge you lose the opacity settings (if any) that you had on either layer.  Not sure about flattening.  I don't think you do.

Aug 20 09 11:58 pm Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

Agoura Hills, California, US

Yes, you do with flattening as well.

Aug 21 09 12:17 am Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

Better to "stamp" the layer, meaning to have photoshop take everything that you see and copy it to a new layer. The shotcut is shift+alt+control+e.

Aug 21 09 12:20 am Link

Photographer

Fashion Photographer

London, England, United Kingdom

mikedimples wrote:
Better to "stamp" the layer, meaning to have photoshop take everything that you see and copy it to a new layer. The shotcut is shift+alt+control+e.

Why?

Aug 21 09 12:23 am Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

Because then you keep all your layers underneath.

Aug 21 09 12:26 am Link

Photographer

Jon Tiffin

San Antonio, Texas, US

In my experience, If I've reduced the opacity of 2 different layers and I merge those 2 layers, the processes done on each of those layers is combined but doesn't look correct. I end up merging those 2 layers w/a copy from background layer that contains the blem work. This keeps the processes of each layer intact. I only flatten when I'm done.

Aug 21 09 12:27 am Link

Photographer

FotoMark

Oxnard, California, US

Davepit wrote:

Why?

In case you need to alter the layers below. By stamping them you create a merged layer of all the other layers below without losing the ability to go back and fine tune something. Let's say at the last step you want to sharpen, you can sharpen the stamped layer.

Aug 21 09 12:27 am Link

Photographer

Jessica de Mattos

Tonbridge, England, United Kingdom

I've only found there to be a problem with merging when I've altered the blending mode of the top layer, and there's some low opacity/erased areas in the layer below!

Aug 21 09 02:57 am Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

Just as a side note, many people flatten or stamp when they don't need to. By working efficiently with adjustment layers and smart objects, flattening is less often required. Every time a stamp/duplicate is applied, the file size is greatly increased. What kinds of things do the people in this thread flatten/stamp for? The other knowledgeable photoshop users and I may be able to suggest more efficient solutions.

Aug 21 09 03:08 am Link

Photographer

Kym Trice

Lea Halliwell wrote:
I think when you merge you lose the opacity settings (if any) that you had on either layer.  Not sure about flattening.  I don't think you do.

I didnt realize that....thanks a lot

Aug 21 09 03:46 am Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

mikedimples wrote:
Just as a side note, many people flatten or stamp when they don't need to.

Good point. A common example is flattening or merging (or stamping) before saving as a jpeg or gif. No need to do any of that. Just go directly to "Save as" or "Save for web" -- and leave all the layers intact in the .psd file.

Aug 21 09 04:57 am Link

Retoucher

Mistletoe

There is actually no technical difference between merging and flattening - obviously with merging you have the option to still have transparency, whereas flattening you will always create an opaque base. But the process, the merging of layers in sequence, is exactly the same. Always view at 100% before and after flattening. If you don't do this things may appear different after the operation, but the effect is the same.

Aug 21 09 05:01 am Link

Photographer

Paul Brecht

Colton, California, US

Snap2 wrote:
There is actually no technical difference between merging and flattening - .

Except you can merge specific layers & leave other layers out of the merge. If you flatten w/ hidden layers, it deletes those layers...

Paul

Aug 21 09 05:21 am Link

Photographer

Artpho Imaging

Fairborn, Ohio, US

Merge is meant to be done on partial layers vs. all the layers as in the final operation prior to saving as a .jpeg.  Flattening is used for all the layers.  Merge to combine two or more layers but not all layers, Flatten to merge all layers.

Aug 21 09 05:32 am Link

Retoucher

Mistletoe

Except you can merge specific layers & leave other layers out of the merge.

Yes obviously

Aug 21 09 05:47 am Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Digital Joint wrote:
Merge is meant to be done on partial layers vs. all the layers as in the final operation prior to saving as a .jpeg.

See my post above.

Aug 21 09 06:52 am Link

Photographer

Art Of Imaging

Brooklyn, New York, US

mikedimples wrote:

ooo i like this thanx big_smile

Aug 21 09 07:03 am Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Lea Halliwell wrote:

Merging perserves layer opacities and transparency. Flattening preserves layer opacities but not transparency.

With layers:

https://img300.imageshack.us/img300/9956/layers.jpg

Layers merged:

https://img146.imageshack.us/img146/9733/merged.jpg

Layers flattened:

https://img146.imageshack.us/img146/9826/flattened.jpg

Aug 21 09 07:38 am Link

Photographer

Kym Trice

mikedimples wrote:

So just to make sure I am clear and understand you well, DO NOT merge or flatten once I have combined 2 images together?

For example, if I take a cut-out image of a model in a bathing suit and I drag that to lets say....a beach background. What should I do next in order to make it look more real or authentic because I have tried to do that but the image does not look real or like she is ACTUALLY on the beach or the picture was taken ACTUALLY on the beach. Please advise..

Aug 21 09 11:31 am Link

Retoucher

9stitches

Los Angeles, California, US

Snap2 wrote:
Except you can merge specific layers & leave other layers out of the merge.

Yes obviously

I think that's the problem - things aren't as obvious to the photographers coming in with questions as they are to the "wizards" who live here.

I hope this demystifies the terminology: Flatten turns the whole document into a flat image with no layers. If you have, for instance, 3 layers including a background, merging them will have the exact same effect as flattening (if the bottom layer is not a Background, then it's pretty much the same, but it's technically still a layered doc). Merging can be limited to certain (even non-contiguous) layers, flattening always flattens the whole thing.

As for the confusion about opacity surprises; take some time to educate yourself about what Photoshop is doing in different layer blending situations - I'm really not intending to sound like a smartass - and you can more easily predict what merging selected layers will do, and what workarounds you can use to combat unwanted side-effects.

Aug 21 09 11:42 am Link

Retoucher

9stitches

Los Angeles, California, US

Kym Trice wrote:
So just to make sure I am clear and understand you well, DO NOT merge or flatten once I have combined 2 images together?

For example, if I take a cut-out image of a model in a bathing suit and I drag that to lets say....a beach background. What should I do next in order to make it look more real or authentic because I have tried to do that but the image does not look real or like she is ACTUALLY on the beach or the picture was taken ACTUALLY on the beach. Please advise..

If it's not convincing, then definitely don't flatten (yet), you still have some work to do, either feathering your mask, or fixing your lighting/color on either the subject or background. You never need to flatten, except when saving (a separate copy) for output.

Aug 21 09 11:45 am Link

Digital Artist

Mac is Live

Bermuda Dunes, California, US

Stamp visible. Don't merge. It allows for greater control in selection further down the road among other things.

Aug 21 09 11:48 am Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

To make her look like she's at the beach, make sure the lighting is hitting her the same way that the beach's light is going, make sure the color of the light is the same by using color balance command to match midtone, highlights, and shadows with color of the light at the beach. Usually the sun gives a yellow cast, the ambient light and shadows will have a cool cast, but not always. Run a levels (or brightness/contrast if you're a newbie) to match the values (light dark) of the model with the beach. Make sure the focus is the same, and make sure the noise is the same.

Flattening or merging a composite has no effect on how realistic it looks.

Aug 21 09 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Kym Trice

Digital Joint wrote:
Merge is meant to be done on partial layers vs. all the layers as in the final operation prior to saving as a .jpeg.  Flattening is used for all the layers.  Merge to combine two or more layers but not all layers, Flatten to merge all layers.

Ok......that was an answer that I was looking to receive in reference to the difference. Also, I was trying to learn how make business cards and the instructions said to save as CMYX and flatten layers.

Aug 21 09 11:55 am Link

Digital Artist

Mac is Live

Kym Trice wrote:

Ok......that was an answer that I was looking to receive in reference to the difference. Also, I was trying to learn how make business cards and the instructions said to save as CMYX and flatten layers.

Do a save as then flatten, then save it as a .tif.

Aug 21 09 12:11 pm Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Mac is Lost wrote:
Do a save as then flatten, then save it as a .tif.

You don't have to flatten. Just choose Save As > Tiff, then make sure these two boxes are not checked.

https://img34.imageshack.us/img34/8735/tifsave.jpg

Aug 21 09 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

Kym Trice

mikedimples wrote:
To make her look like she's at the beach, make sure the lighting is hitting her the same way that the beach's light is going, make sure the color of the light is the same by using color balance command to match midtone, highlights, and shadows with color of the light at the beach. Usually the sun gives a yellow cast, the ambient light and shadows will have a cool cast, but not always. Run a levels (or brightness/contrast if you're a newbie) to match the values (light dark) of the model with the beach. Make sure the focus is the same, and make sure the noise is the same.

Flattening or merging a composite has no effect on how realistic it looks.

ok....I need to try this and see how it works. I hate bringing the two images together and it not looking authentic or real.

Aug 21 09 02:47 pm Link

Digital Artist

Mac is Live

Peano wrote:

You don't have to flatten. Just choose Save As > Tiff, then make sure these two boxes are not checked.

https://img34.imageshack.us/img34/8735/tifsave.jpg

I didn't say you had to flatten. But if you're doing a business card layout. I would flatten the tif before bringing it into In Design or Quark.

Aug 21 09 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Kym Trice

Mac is Lost wrote:

I didn't say you had to flatten. But if you're doing a business card layout. I would flatten the tif before bringing it into In Design or Quark.

What a minute....lol....so I need to go into In Design after flattening the TIF to finish the card? If so, thats cool but I didnt know that...I have In Design as a package deal in the Master Suite Collection that I purchased but have not used it thus yet.

Aug 21 09 03:08 pm Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Mac is Lost wrote:

If you save it as a tiff and untick the boxes I indicated, there are no layers in the tiff. You don't have to flatten the .psd file in order to get a tiff with no layers. That's the point I tried to make several times before: People often flatten .psd files needlessly.

Aug 21 09 03:23 pm Link