Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Size and retouching...

Model

Fox Trot

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

I hope this is the right place for this thread. yikes

Anyway. I am having a problem with picture sizes and MM.

I have CDS with images from a few shoots I've done. The unedited versions of these images fit on MM no problem. However, the retouched versions I have received are too big. If I try cropping them it's of no use because I'd have to cut half the image off to get it to the proper size.

I assume the added size is the retouching, so my question is, is there anyway to have the edited versions but also the right size?

Sep 07 09 05:01 pm Link

Retoucher

9stitches

Los Angeles, California, US

Likely the unedited versions are just low-resolution previews. Retouching doesn't add size.

Of course cropping is not the answer, because you'll delete part of the image. You want to resize or resample. The terminology depends on the software used.

Let me know what software are you using to view your pictures, and maybe I can give you more specific help.

PS great avatar/look

Sep 07 09 05:17 pm Link

Model

Fox Trot

ezpkns retouching wrote:
Likely the unedited versions are just low-resolution previews. Retouching doesn't add size.

Of course cropping is not the answer, because you'll delete part of the image. You want to resize or resample. The terminology depends on the software used.

Let me know what software are you using to view your pictures, and maybe I can give you more specific help.

PS great avatar/look

Ah, thank you for correcting me! smile

Currently all I have is Windows Photo Gallery. Clearly not too useful, but I am shopping around for some better software.

Is it possible to resize using Windows, or should I wait until I get new software?

EDIT

Apparently I have Picasa2 as well. smile

Sep 07 09 05:30 pm Link

Retoucher

9stitches

Los Angeles, California, US

a google search for resize image with Picasa 2 took me here: http://www.compugoddess.com/resize-photos_picasa01.htm

A good size for uploading to MM is no more than 750 pixels tall in either direction. There are more specific instructions somewhere in the MM faq (about the maximum size before MM automatically resizes/compresses), but 750's a decent rule of thumb.

Sep 07 09 05:43 pm Link

Model

Fox Trot

I'll get on that right away. smile

Thank you for all your help!

Sep 07 09 05:48 pm Link

Model

Lea Halliwell

Lexington, Kentucky, US

There is a free website I used to use before I got Ps.

resize2mail.com

Sep 07 09 06:43 pm Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

ezpkns retouching wrote:
There are more specific instructions somewhere in the MM faq (about the maximum size before MM automatically resizes/compresses), but 750's a decent rule of thumb.

Yup. smile

From the Photography Forum FAQ

What can I do to make my images look good on ModelMayhem?

Start with a good original.  smile
Make a copy and resize it to no more than 800 pixels wide; anything larger will be resized by MM, and quality will be lost. (400x600 is a decent size, or 500x750.) If using Photoshop, Bicubic or Bicubic Sharper should be used for the interpolation method.
Convert the image to sRGB. (Photoshop: Edit > Convert to Profile, make sure Black Point Compensation is enabled)
Sharpen using your favorite method. (Unsharp Mask at 100, .4 pixel, Threshold 2 is a decent starting point for many images at this size if downsized using Bicubic.)
Save As… using JPEG filetype, and compression of 7-9 so that it’s under 500K in file size.
Upload to MM

That’s NOT the only way, but it’s one good sequence. If you use Photoshop, creating an Action to record these steps will save time, and help avoid missing steps.

For more information about the color issues, see the Color Calibration and Management Reference thread.

P.S. The DPI setting makes no difference. 72, 300, 1, 1000—it doesn’t matter for the web.

For the OP: There are online services such as ResizR (easiest for just resizing), Adobe Photoshop Express, Picasa (see above), Picnik, Pixenate, Splashup/Fauxto, Phixr, Snipshot and so on where you can resize your images using your browser if you don't have an image editor on your own computer.

Or the open source and free GIMP image processor, or...

Sep 07 09 10:34 pm Link