Forums > Model Colloquy > what do i need to do to improve my portfolio?

Model

MYA

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Hi! well im updating my portfolio and trying to get together a book to possibly submit to an agency and start my own wesite. oppinions are welcome from photographers and models! help please!Just a little input!
thanks
MYA

Jul 16 05 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Oakley

Cocoa, Florida, US

my pictures.. smile lol.. it would be a pleasure to work with you mya..

chris

Jul 16 05 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Then lose the nudes and work on getting more clean well lit commercial pics. You have a few nice ones now and also a couple of nice headshots. You need to cleanup your portfolio and gear it for commercial modeling if you are going to submit to any agencies. You're 5'5", a commercial model.

Forgot, you really must take down that first pic where you're facing backwards and holding your butt, does nothing for your portfolio. As a guy I like it smile  As a photographer I hate it sad

(She asked the question but will she really listen? The Vegas odds makers say she's like most models and won't, will I be proven wrong and lose all my money?)

Jul 16 05 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Depending on what your market will be, I really agree with Gary.

Less is more.

You can lead others to imagine what you look like with less on but if you show them, there’s no reason to keep coming back to you.

With a Varity of looks, you can tease the managers into looking at you twice for what you bring to them and not what you sold out for.

What market are you aiming at?

Jul 16 05 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Doug Swinskey would know what you need for agencies.

Clean lifestyle/editorial images are best for commercial print.

As far as a website, it depends on if you are looking for a pay site or to promote yourself.

My 2¢...

Here's a link I got from Doug...newmodels.com

Jul 16 05 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

As far as a website, it depends on if you are looking for a pay site or to promote yourself.

My 2¢...

Wait wait wait, commercial, lifestyle, catalog, yes. Editorial, no. That's strictly for the tall girls and it doesn't pay much at all.

Jul 16 05 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Glamour Studio /Gary: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

My 2¢...

Wait wait wait, commercial, lifestyle, catalog, yes. Editorial, no. That's strictly for the tall girls and it doesn't pay much at all.

Well, lifestyle and editorial shots in a portfolio are fairly similar. I mean the look, rather than the usage.

I agree that editorial pays squat!

Jul 16 05 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

My 2¢...

Well, lifestyle and editorial shots in a portfolio are fairly similar. I mean the look, rather than the usage.

True, they are quite similar but that ends when you have a shot of only a models hips in jeans with the button open and the zipper halfway down. That's editorial, not lifestyle so there are some differences.

Jul 16 05 02:58 pm Link

Model

MYA

NOTED BUTT PIC HAS BEEN TAKEN DOWN.LOL
more commercial work is what im aiming toward and not a paysite for a website. just a regular website.
so i need more studio pics?

Jul 16 05 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

See, now ya made me lose a fortune to the Vegas bookies, gotta be different, huh.

No, you don't have to do just studio. It would be actually to your advantage to have both location and studio. If you're going to do some lifestyle stuff then outdoors is best. You know, like the old waiting for the bus or hailing a cab type stuff. You're doing "lifestyle" poses all day long but you just don't realize it.

Commercial can be done in or out also. It's your basic magazine/catalog style showing the clothing/product.

ps: Your port is looking better already!

Jul 16 05 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

My 2¢...

Well this is one of the many confusing terminology issues in the worlds of photography and modeling. There is what an  editorial usage compared to a commercial/advertising/promotional usage means which is applied to photo usage period  and has nothing to do with models, modeling, or the style or feel of the shot, but the distinction has legal and financial implications.

And then there is "editorial" vs. "commercial" as a distinction between the "type" or "look" of a model or the styles of photography involving models. And then of course it gets further mixed together as either type/style of photography or model can be employed in either an editorial or commercial context in the usage sense.

Anyway, everyone is right, this model needs clean commercial/lifestyle work not glamour, cheese or "artistic nudes." The reaction of a good agency to a book with most of her current work in it would be .... uh... let's just say not what she'd be hoping for...

Jul 16 05 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

There are still a lot of photos you need to remove.

And good lifestyle is done with interiors and home locations or sets as much as exteriors.

Jul 16 05 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by MYA: 
NOTED BUTT PIC HAS BEEN TAKEN DOWN.LOL
more commercial work is what im aiming toward and not a paysite for a website. just a regular website.
so i need more studio pics?

I think studio would be good for catalog images. Lifestyle woul be perfect outdoors, or on a nice set. Relaxing at a sidewalk cafe would be nice....

Jul 16 05 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Posted by Aaron_H: 
There are still a lot of photos you need to remove.

And good lifestyle is done with interiors and home locations or sets as much as exteriors.

Right on the money!

Jul 16 05 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Well Mya, you have a load of good advice here. Now it's up to you to follow through with it.

Jul 16 05 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I have to say that working with MYA was great. She's really easy to work with, and she keeps it fun on the set.

I'm happy with the way MYA's head shots came out. For agencies, I'm wondering if they might have too much of a glamour look to them compared to something outdoors with natural light...

Jul 16 05 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

look at the first 9 thumbs under the main pic here, great examples. I had to break up the link into two lines so it wouldn't ruin the thread here but paste it back together:

http://www.workbook.com/assignment/artist.lasso?
pID=AR007360&pane=portfolio&pgID=2387&sID=66302&offset=23&page=1&viewID=529695

click on both this one's lifestyle and fashion links, what's she's calling fashion is really just more great lifestyle work, scroll through all of her work in each section. perfection http://www.marcymaloy.com/

look at this guy's "fun" section http://www.johnwelzenbach.com/entry.htm

http://www.rschwartz.com/Lifestylepages … e.all.html

look through both lifestyle and fashion on this next one and make sure you scroll through it all

http://www.lauradoss.com/

all of the above is a pretty good sampling of the kind of thing you should be doing and the kind of photography to look for

Jul 16 05 04:12 pm Link

Model

MYA

thanks everybody for your input! now i know what i need to do i'll start crackalakin! and thanks for the kind words HERB your a DOLL!
mya

Jul 16 05 04:13 pm Link

Jul 16 05 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by MYA: 
thanks everybody for your input! now i know what i need to do i'll start crackalakin! and thanks for the kind words HERB your a DOLL!
mya

Shhh... you'll ruin my image.

Jul 16 05 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by MYA: 
mya

Shhh... you'll ruin my image.

Oh don't worry about that, Herb, we'll just get a reference from Mystic7!!!!  ROTFLMAO!!!!!   

Jul 16 05 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

Posted by Chris Oakley: 
my pictures.. smile lol.. it would be a pleasure to work with you mya..

chris

Always smoozing, aren't ya Chris!!!  :-)  Well, she is a good one to smooze.. Looking forward to my turn to work with her....

Jul 16 05 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

yes,

Aaron good job with the examples.   Many people should take a look.
I am working on building up that area of my books.

Jul 16 05 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I like Marc Kayne's stuff too.

This is the way I'd like to shoot MYA if we can get some sun. I like all his stuff...

Jul 16 05 05:29 pm Link