Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > what makes someone a photoshop wizard?

Model

Tayyeb

Echuca-Moama, Victoria, Australia

So i have been looking at some peoples work on here.

and i must say ive seen some amazing work, and then ive seen some work that looks as if someone has gone over with a dodge tool and some blur and a little erasing and thats it.

I am told im good at photoshop and that i should make an account on here alongside my llama one, but i dont think im anywhere near good enough.

So i ask you, what makes you a photoshop wizard?

Oct 18 09 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

Some say the standards are being gradually raised - it's probably about as likely as consolidating all the 'retouch my RAW files' threads, but here's hoping.

As for myself, I've no illusions about my skillset and where I stand - I think the Wizard moniker is far from applicable.

On a related note, I've always wondered when we would finally see a YouTube MM 'tribute', cued to "The Sorcerer's Apprentice".

Oct 18 09 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Natalia Eiras

Red Bank, New Jersey, US

its kinda like american idol... some people might think they are really awesome but they are tone deaf.

I think a good measure is people asking for your work. If people are willing to pay for a service.... odds are that the work is good, enough

the trick is finding out if you(not directed at you personally)are tone deaf

Oct 18 09 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

Natalia Drulle wrote:
its kinda like american idol... some people might think they are really awesome but they are tone deaf.

lol

Well put.

Oct 18 09 09:10 pm Link

Model

Tayyeb

Echuca-Moama, Victoria, Australia

Sean Baker wrote:

lol

Well put.

i like that lol

yeah ive been told oh that image looks awesome, look at her hair, oh look at this. But then i come on here and go hang on most of this looks way better than mine. But i suppose its all about learning and expanded on what i already know.

Oct 18 09 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

Digi Directors

Taichung City, Taichung City, Taiwan

Photoshop wizard is a broad term.

You have the gambit from retouchers to full on photo-manipulators to matte painters.

So if you are not a good photo-manipulator but are a good retoucher, I think you can have the title "wizard" here (and visa-versa).

If you make an account and MM accepts you, who is anyone to tell you that you cannot be a PS wizard?

Oct 18 09 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

George Lue

Orlando, Florida, US

Natalia Drulle wrote:

I think a good measure is people asking for your work. If people are willing to pay for a service.... odds are that the work is good, enough

Digi Directors wrote:
Photoshop wizard is a broad term.

You have the gambit from retouchers to full on photo-manipulators to matte painters.

So if you are not a good photo-manipulator but are a good retoucher, I think you can have the title "wizard" here (and vice-versa).

There are people who are fabulous at photo manipulation and there are people who are ninjas at retouching, but don't know how to prep an image for print.  Then there are people who are color correcting fiends and know exactly what the algorithms are for high pass filters and what the CMYK, RGB and K values of skin tones are.

And then there are the people who are learning what they're good at and how to become great at whatever aspect of retouching they're focused on.  They will have an average, run of the mill portfolio that doesn't jump out for anything in particular save maybe one or two images.

And then there are people who have downloaded photoshop and apply filters to their whimsy because they "look cool" without any intention of getting better (or just don't know better).  They will stand out because well, it's hard to look away from a train wreck.

Oct 18 09 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

New York, New York, US

Photoshop wizard is a title you can pick on MM when you sign up.

A photoshop wizard is someone that can pass the ACE exam.

A photoshop wizard knows when photoshop is not the best tool for the action.

did this answer your question?

Many people here might be good at manipulation but don't know a thing about printing. Photoshop is a tool for handling both. Most of the photoshop wizards here may not be photographers and therefore may not know a thing about Adobe Camera RAW. You can't pass the ACE exam if you don't know printing and ACR.

Most people here haven't passed the ACE exam. (which also is not necessarily a merit of skill)
does this help you?

Oct 18 09 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

Photography by John

Prescott, Arizona, US

The same applies to photographers.  A photographer is a guy that can use a camera.  A photoshop wizard is a person that can use photoshop.  Neither has to be good to be labeled such...  I think it's enough that you want to be....

Oct 18 09 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographic Aspirations

Long Beach, California, US

Geek like eye wear, blue cloak and wand ?

Oct 18 09 10:51 pm Link

Retoucher

Heavenly Creatures 2

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

Talissa Bolitho wrote:

Picking the label when you sign up on MM.  Aside from that, I think it's whether or not people think you're good and are willing to hire you for your services. There are certainly a fair share of GWPs(GuysWithPhotoShop) around. But we were all GWP at one time or another. Everyone has to start somewhere. I think it's important not to discourage someone just because they are new to the field.

Oct 18 09 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

Sean Baker wrote:
Some say the standards are being gradually raised - it's probably about as likely as consolidating all the 'retouch my RAW files' threads, but here's hoping.

As for myself, I've no illusions about my skillset and where I stand - I think the Wizard moniker is far from applicable.

On a related note, I've always wondered when we would finally see a YouTube MM 'tribute', cued to "The Sorcerer's Apprentice".

Natalia Drulle wrote:

lollollollollol

I have the photographer title here. Doesn't mean I'm good enough to make a living from it (or even good for that matter) but they don't have "Snapshooter" accounts so I'm stuck. Some like what I do, most don't care, and others tell me to sell my equipment....usually to them for next to nothing. I enjoy it as a hobby.

I guess the same could be said for PS Wizard here. If you are capable of putting out something even remotely better than the original, then go for it. Then you come in to this Forum and learn as much as you can while practicing along with everywhere else you can find information. You get better. Eventually, enough people see your work as good enough that you will feel like that "Wizard" title might be true afterall.

If you enjoy it, I say go for it. What do you have to lose?

Oct 19 09 02:57 am Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

Heavenly Creatures 2 wrote:

Picking the label when you sign up on MM.  Aside from that, I think it's whether or not people think you're good and are willing to hire you for your services. There are certainly a fair share of GWPs(GuysWithPhotoShop) around. But we were all GWP at one time or another. Everyone has to start somewhere. I think it's important not to discourage someone just because they are new to the field.

I reckon, the place to start is with the camera

Oct 19 09 03:06 am Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

it seems insane for a person to work on images but not take pictures

Oct 19 09 03:09 am Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

LeDeux Art wrote:

lol rlly? I've been doing it all wrong then because I haven't touch a camera EVER!

To the OP - In this site, anyone with 4 pictures can be a wizard, because it's an amateur friendly site... so don't worry too much about it.

x

Oct 19 09 04:49 am Link

Photographer

doctorontop

La Condamine, La Condamine, Monaco

Their is no rule to say you have to become a photographer 1st. I would advise learning the digital darkroom ie Photoshop first as for many the frustration in picking up a camera for the first time and doing a shoot which leaves many with a blank mind and no actual idea as to what they wish to produce and furthermore not being able to process and edit those images after the shoot is exasperating. Also when working on other peoples images that in its self will allow the time to formulate  future direction with the camera. Working on other peoples images can be helpful in gaining insight and understanding of image composition. Just make sure before working on others photography permission is given. Their is a serious retouch thread with plenty of images to practise with.

EDIT - This post was meant for another site but it nearly fits sorry smile

Oct 19 09 05:23 am Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Talissa Bolitho wrote:

Model Mayhem makes you one. There are no camera wizards, no llamaing wizards, no makeup wizards. Why are there Photoshop wizards? Ask the mods. They're the ones who came up with that witless designation.

Oct 19 09 05:34 am Link

Photographer

FORREST

Murfreesboro, Tennessee, US

Talissa Bolitho wrote:

i think what several people have said is right on the money such as implying that being a true wizard is to say he is one who knows the program intimately enough to know when it isn't the best tool..and knowing ACR..knowing printing, CMYK - being able to "see the problem from many viewpoints" etc..it all adds to your mastery of the program...and therefore...i submit that it can be viewed as one who knows what every function does and is able to not only call on those functions and use them correctly but knows WHY he called on them and why say he chose a particular function (even grouping them into recipes and sub-steps within methods), and what will happen when he does. To having every function at his command, one could also add the ability to be creative while doing so to this line of thought. one could also add the ability not only to have total control and be creative, but also the ability to do work that sells or work that is saturated with emotion, with an eye for movement, composition, all the aspects of a visual work of art. - work that other people admire. but it all comes back to knowing the program and being Better at being creative because of it. i think personally the creative requirement is necessary for success if you are that type of person or seeking to be creative, but a wizard can be just one who knows the program and can do what the client (who may be the creative input) wants done. sometimes a client recognizes your ability to be creative and gives you looser reigns or more general assignments leaving you to fill in the blanks. but that's not necessarily a requirement for the title of wizard.

Oct 19 09 05:35 am Link

Digital Artist

Eithne Ni Anluain

Dundalk, Louth, Ireland

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:

lol rlly? I've been doing it all wrong then because I haven't touch a camera EVER!

To the OP - In this site, anyone with 4 pictures can be a wizard, because it's an amateur friendly site... so don't worry too much about it.

x

aye.....

One person gets a crack copy of PS and suddenly they are a "wizard" if they apply a action set to a image to make it whatever. The difference is though, a true "wizard" (ok I really hate the term wizard here) in whatever they excell at can make a "ok" pic fabulous, a basic shot a fantastic illustration, a concept from a art director a perfect gaming card...need I go on? Ya just have to do triaje to most of the whatsys!

But like Natalia said its a amateur friendly site so you will get the bad and the ugly....the bold and the beautiful (ok its on in the background so sue me! lol )

Oct 19 09 06:00 am Link

Photographer

Sungoddess Studios

Keyport, New Jersey, US

I am not a wizard. Someone who is proficient at PS with practical experience or someone who is certified in PS

Oct 19 09 06:06 am Link

Photographer

Rafael Telles

Brampton, Ontario, Canada

The term WIZARD should be changed to RETOUCHER... Yeah I know they are a lot of different categories of retouchers (beauty retouchers, fashion retouchers, composite artists, etc..) same as photographer's styles. But adding the word WIZARD is non-sense to me; the equivalent would be stating PHOTOGRAPHY MASTER instead of just PHOTOGRAPHER. May be this can be changed in the future...

Oct 19 09 06:43 am Link

Model

3-Dimensional

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I think its because it sounds cool... I think they should call llamas action figures, because it sounds cool. >.>

Oct 19 09 06:51 am Link

Photographer

Rafael Telles

Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Actually I like the term PHOTO EDITOR as it's been used in bemodel. What do you people think?

Oct 19 09 06:59 am Link

Photographer

Digi Directors

Taichung City, Taichung City, Taiwan

Rafael Telles wrote:
Actually I like the term PHOTO EDITOR as it's been used in bemodel. What do you people think?

I think people think too much.

There are many people here with the title "MODEL" that has just as much variables as "WIZARD".

Sometimes a title is just a title.

Oct 19 09 11:16 am Link

Retoucher

ShadowLight

why do you care what the "label" is?

I'm sure everyone gets what the difference in the categories is.

besides being a "wizard" is humorous, although some church groups may not agree. wink
(you know... "Harry Potter" books are banned in some US states)

In any field some are better than others, that goes for the wizards too. wink

Oct 19 09 11:29 am Link

Retoucher

Dreamscape Retouching

Charleston, South Carolina, US

"Photo Editor" works fine for me.  I've complained about this before in other threads.  It isn't so much the people around here reading "Photoshop Wizard" that bugs me.  It's the general public that doesn't know any better what we do.  They look at the infamous Dove commercial and take the retouching there to be what we do.  We all know that's an oversimplification of the process.  In my opinion, a term like "Photoshop Wizard" only serves to reinforce the idea that we just hack at images with tools that do all the work for us, suggesting it isn't a specialized skill.

Oct 19 09 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Nicholas Freeman Photo

Los Angeles, California, US

Natalia Drulle wrote:

+1

Oct 19 09 04:44 pm Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

ShadowLight wrote:
why do you care what the "label" is?

You don't care what labels people put on you? (Think before you answer.)

Oct 19 09 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Photographer4321

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

"You're not a photographer, I'm a photographer"
"You're not a photoshop wizard, I'm a photoshop wizard"
"You're not a model, I'm a model"
"You're not a MUA, I'm a MUA"
"You're not a web designer, I'm a web designer"
Again and again I hear this.

To all that doesn't want to accept beginners, you're just fearful that you might be replaced. There is really no right or wrong answer to the OP's question. If you like it, do it. If you think you're good at it, then you're good at it, and vise-versa. If you don't know that you are or are not, most probably your are not.

Best quote ever comes from Iron Chef America:
Judge says "This is too spicy"... guess what, the other 3 people eating it with you thinks it's great as is. Same thing with this.

Oct 19 09 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

http://www.happyfinish.com/

Professional retouchers and not a wizard between them.

Wizards one of those internet terms like tog.

Oct 19 09 05:26 pm Link

Retoucher

ShadowLight

Peano wrote:

You don't care what labels people put on you? (Think before you answer.)

actually I don't smile

got too much narcissism tongue

Oct 19 09 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

New York, New York, US

LeDeux Art wrote:

I did "l33t grafixs" for YEARS before I got a DSLR. I started getting models because I always had composites or manipuloations in mind but I was the only one available. I signed up here as a photographer.

Oct 19 09 05:37 pm Link

Digital Artist

Mac is Live

Bermuda Dunes, California, US

big_smile 

Oct 19 09 07:26 pm Link

Digital Artist

The Prince of Pretend

Atlantic City, New Jersey, US

Because I do all my editing at Hogwarts.... and I kick ass.

Oct 19 09 07:43 pm Link

Retoucher

Traciee D

Lafayette, Louisiana, US

LeDeux Art wrote:

I reckon, the place to start is with the camera

I started just the exact opposite.  But I am now doing photography and LOVE LOVE IT!  Also I practice both.....I have to keep up the retouching, practicing, learning new things, etc.  They both come hand in hand and def. help each other out, that's for sure!

Oct 19 09 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Evenfall Photography

Menifee, California, US

Most definitely the hat... Not like a pointed hat, but fargo style, as long as the wizard drinks vodka.

Oct 19 09 07:50 pm Link