Forums > Contests > PotD18+ Discussion Thread

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Quartzmine Photo wrote:
Why don't you take a vote and see? Seriously.

Already been done many moons ago.
It was decided then to allow watermarks.

Dec 23 13 04:02 pm Link

Artist/Painter

steve54321

Kendal, England, United Kingdom

There is an image in todays 18+ male contest and I am wondering how it passed the mods?  If the images are entered 2 days before the contest surely it had been seen?  The image in question will be obvious and should play no part in what MM is about.  MM is a great site but lets not bring the tone down.

Dec 30 13 01:45 am Link

Photographer

Quartzmine Photo

Sacramento, California, US

Steve, Steve, Steve.

Of course I know just which image you are referring to, as the contest rules are so clear and consistentlly enforced that there could be no question.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/117951

I mean, the model mostly has all her clothes on! It will probably win with 52 votes, too.

Dec 30 13 08:56 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

steve54321 wrote:
There is an image in todays 18+ male contest and I am wondering how it passed the mods?  If the images are entered 2 days before the contest surely it had been seen?  The image in question will be obvious and should play no part in what MM is about.  MM is a great site but lets not bring the tone down.

Suggestion: Send me a CAM with the URL of the entry

Dec 30 13 11:48 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Quartzmine Photo wrote:
Of course I know just which image you are referring to, as the contest rules are so clear and consistentlly enforced that there could be no question.

Your cynicism is noted

Quartzmine Photo wrote:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/117951

I mean, the model mostly has all her clothes on!

Did you actually look at the pic?
It is an M/18+ image and as such qualified for the PotD18+

Quartzmine Photo wrote:
It will probably win with 52 votes, too.

It has a way to go to get to your 52 vote prediction wink

Dec 30 13 12:00 pm Link

Artist/Painter

steve54321

Just look at todays M18+ contest you cant miss it...not sure how to CAM!

Dec 30 13 12:54 pm Link

Artist/Painter

steve54321

ok I found out how to CAM........sent the info

Dec 30 13 12:58 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

steve54321 wrote:
ok I found out how to CAM........sent the info

and it's gone now

Dec 30 13 01:15 pm Link

Model

China__White

Shanghai, Shanghai, China

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:
I was thinking to make the contest a little more fair. No images with watermarks should be allowed in the contest. That way the contest will be about the image not the cult following of the photographer and their model friends.

Just a thought.

I always post images with watermarks. Not because I am worried about someone stealing them because I don't care. It comes with the job I guess. I watermark them in order to give credit to the photographer for taking them.

Dec 31 13 10:45 am Link

Photographer

RSH-Photography

Austin, Texas, US

I was thinking to make the contest a little more fair. No images with watermarks should be allowed in the contest. That way the contest will be about the image not the cult following of the photographer and their model friends.

Just a thought.

Well said.

Dec 31 13 10:48 am Link

Model

China__White

JoJo wrote:

How to play the contests…
Take your absolute best pic and enter it. If it wins, great – if not DON’T complain, rather LEARN why people selected another image.

Any half-baked photographer can rant that the contests are rigged and that’s why their entry didn't win.

It takes a real pro to figure out how to make their image better and thus garner more votes.

Don't make excuses - make excellent images.

I win a lot, but that's coz I have a nice ass. Haha

Dec 31 13 10:50 am Link

Model

China__White

Dec 31 13 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Z_Photo

Huntsville, Alabama, US

18+ M winner for 30th looked familiar.  It is familiar as it was the 24 Sept winner.

Dec 31 13 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

What system is in play..when some is caught cheating..I mean using the same photo that has won before...and now..since JoJo has taken away the original winner...how can Model Mayhem..show who really won?

Dec 31 13 03:10 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:
What system is in play..when some is caught cheating..I mean using the same photo that has won before...and now..since JoJo has taken away the original winner...how can Model Mayhem..show who really won?

It's right here wink
https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … ups/131230

I wonder who the new winner is wink

Dec 31 13 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

JoJo wrote:

It's right here wink
https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … ups/131230

I wonder who the new winner is wink

Hummm...I wonder also.

Thanks JoJo.

Dec 31 13 03:35 pm Link

Model

China__White

All this time on MM and I never noticed there was a naked Mens 18+ contest. WOW!

Jan 01 14 12:44 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

China__White wrote:
All this time on MM and I never noticed there was a naked Mens 18+ contest. WOW!

I don't get nakid...but I shoot naked.

Jan 01 14 02:29 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:

Congratulations! It's a great image

Jan 02 14 06:33 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

China__White wrote:

You do .... You really do.  Jk

You are a wonderful model with amazing images. I would give my left arm to work with you.smile

Jan 02 14 06:36 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

China__White wrote:

Nice ass?  Hmm.  Pretty face.  Great hair.  Excellent boobies.  Terrific figure.  Good skin.  Interesting toes.   But you blame it on a nice ass?

Jan 02 14 07:29 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Congratulations! It's a great image

Thank You.

Jan 02 14 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

What has happened to this thread?  Is this just boring stuff.  It was always fun reading the comments

Jan 18 14 12:21 pm Link

Model

Sakura Star

London, England, United Kingdom

I won POTD 18+!!
Thanks to all who voted smile

Jan 20 14 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Stanley L Moore

Houston, Texas, US

What has happened to this thread?  Is this just boring stuff.  It was always fun reading the comments

After the male-female split a major cause of debate was removed. Hence the slowdown in contention.   Thanks to JoJo's firm hand there are fewer controversies over what is or is not 18+. Those topics used to make up the bulk of posts here. I too wish there was more here.
My suggestion is start a thread that will rile up some folks. smile

Jan 20 14 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Stanley L Moore

Houston, Texas, US

Sakura Star wrote:
I won POTD 18+!!

I do not vote in the Female contest but congrats anyway. I find it a real thrill to win. Best future luck.

Jan 20 14 11:01 am Link

Photographer

DaeNaturals

Congrats Sakura. Well deserved.
I didn't vote in that days contest, but if I did, I would have voted for you too.
+1 vote to the count.

Jan 21 14 12:28 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Sakura Star wrote:
I won POTD 18+!!

Congrats on a fine win. Is this your first?   Hey now we need to shoot together, it would be a blast

Jan 23 14 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Jo Jo can you delete the image that I have slated for the +18 woman's contest 2 days from now? I was trying to upload the image from my iPad and totally screwed it up.  It's a blurry and way too low res.

Feb 12 14 02:11 am Link

Photographer

Natural eye

PARKER FORD, Pennsylvania, US

Just wondering -
Is the group of submissions for a given day "locked" once voting begins?  I could be wrong but some days there seem to be more entries in the final tally than there were when I voted in the morning. i.e., I see entries in the results that weren't even there a day before when I voted.

Feb 25 14 05:15 am Link

Photographer

Stanley L Moore

Houston, Texas, US

Has anyone noticed the change in direction of the winds in the voting for the POTD regular contest? Lately I have noticed male images coming in high rankings in the voting. Formerly the realm of beautifully lit female glamorous head shots now the guys are making inroads.  In yesterday's vote 3 of the top 5 finidhersx are male.
I am happy if I place in the top half. Males are doing quite well lately.

Mar 04 14 02:21 am Link

Photographer

Quartzmine Photo

It’s been almost two weeks since anyone posted to this usually-somnolent thread.  Soooo, I thought I’d do one of my favorite things and compare the first and last place entries for yesterday, 3/11/14.

Here’s the winner:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/129094

54 votes, statistically at least two standard deviations above the rest of the pack. Any statisticians out there who can calculate the odds of that happening randomly?

Here’s the last place, with 0 votes:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/129085

I didn’t vote for either one but if forced to a choice I would probably pick the last place. At least you can see the model. I would also pick this one, which is a comparable pose but brightly (and well) lit instead of a shadowy and murky subject with a blown-out background.:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/129056

The next three on the top row are from entrants who win all the time. Clearly superior, of course. So very interesting the number 2 is a no-face ass shot of a certain A-list model who is also depicted in a full frontal pose submitted by a no- network photog that only got 16 votes.
Silver medal Booty:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/129118
Also-ran frontal:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/129058

3 of 4 on the second row are creative image, non-cookie cutter efforts. I think this one is especially striking:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/129068

Winners are almost always conventional poses and conventional backgrounds.

There’s no accounting for taste, of course. Nevertheless, I see many unanswered questions here. (They closed the GW bridge to do a traffic study, Barry Bonds increased his shoe size by natural means, etc., etc.)

Let the flaming begin!

Thursday update: Same entrant, same model but face lit up . Almost same number of votes (51 vs 54). Amaaaaaaazing coincidence.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/129177

The no-posse last place wasn't so bad again, either though I didn't vote for it.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … ew/129197.

Happy St. Pattys day to all!

Mar 12 14 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Stanley L Moore

Houston, Texas, US

Just a minor correction.  I posted March 4th just 8 days ago not 2 weeks. 
Also are critiques now allowed in this forum?

Mar 13 14 08:47 am Link

Photographer

DaeNaturals

No, it's not really a critique.
It's more about pointing out a conspiracy theory about vote stacking in the Female POTD. wink
Sir Q. once again feels like the contests are a result of popularity based on the comparison of the top winning images votes and least voted images.

Although I'm sure there may be some of that happening, it certainly cannot be enough to be the case for the majority.
1 or 2 or 3 votes here and there, but not enough to determine the majority.

I'm not going to go into the comparisons of what merits make a photo worthy to be superior to others because it is all "in the eye of the beholder", yadda yadda...

All I can say is that the top winning photos are usually ones I would also vote for or at least can see why it was picked. As for the bottom ones, I can also see why they were not chosen, because I would never vote for them either.
And I can speak for myself, that none of my decisions have anything to do with voting due to popularity because I favor a certain model or photographer or whomever.

Sometimes it's about the model's look, sometimes it's about the quality of photography, and sometimes about presentation.

And yes, although I agree with you that there is no accounting for taste, there is certainly accounting for the general consensus of like. smile

Mar 13 14 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

Quartzmine Photo

DaeNaturals wrote:
Sometimes it's about the model's look, sometimes it's about the quality of photography, and sometimes about presentation.
>>

Sometimes it is. Sometimes it's about having a posse. There's no effective control, try as the mods might.  This sometimes leads to results that can't be explained by random-choice voting. I point these out infrequently when I have nothing better to do.

And yeah, it really was Chris C out there working the cones on the GW bridge.

Mar 13 14 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

DaeNaturals

And sometimes it's about the spread. *snicker*

Mar 13 14 11:36 pm Link

Photographer

Quartzmine Photo

"Mark McGuire knocks it out of the park again - third in a row in 3 at bats" - news item

https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/129307

This time, 62 votes on 3/13/14. Seriously, what are the chances of this happening randomly? (The good news: I can't say the last place entry is any good.)

Mar 14 14 08:26 am Link

Photographer

Mark Bordelon Foto

San Antonio, Texas, US

I was surprised to win 3 in a row....what are the chances? Has it been done before?
I won reg POD and 18+ one day as well. That was surprising!

Mar 14 14 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

DaeNaturals

It's not that surprising if you enter consistently good work with consistently good models.
If viewers vote favorably for a specific image, then entering the similar ones from similar shoots will likely yield similar vote results.

Congrats Fotomarx. You produce great images and I quite enjoy seeing your work!

Mar 14 14 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

Stanley L Moore

Houston, Texas, US

FotoMarx wrote:
I was surprised to win 3 in a row....what are the chances? Has it been done before?
I won reg POD and 18+ one day as well. That was surprising!

I do know for certain that the Men's 18+ has been won three times in  a row by at least two photographers since I have been entering. But the Male contest has many fewer entries so the odds increase. In each case either the photographer was  very skilled and entered gorgeous pictures or the subject was one that tends to win more often than not (certain models/sausage). In neither case did I feel there was vote stacking or any other impropriety.

I have benn asked (indirectly) for support from fellow photographers. I do not vote for those who ask for mty vote. In the Male contest I and a small  number of others do enter regularly. I often recognize by style or model who has entered.

For instance one of the guys who 3 times in a row has a very distinctive style and enjoys considerable commercial success with his work. I usually vote for his entry because I admire the way he captures the beauty of the modek not for who he is.

I find sour grapes enter into the mix when someone complains of who wins the POTD contests. Folks it is just a trivial amusing game. It should not be taken seriously. Keep entering.

Mar 15 14 03:09 am Link